Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 304 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by hawkmoon
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Princess-Auto-logo-2 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2021-05-12 092515 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210324_201428135 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1923 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1922 (resized).JPG
    28EB562B-7748-4F36-BBCC-47647609A396 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20210128_030137601 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030112109 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030214768 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_025824827 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_160718229 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_215824072 (resized).jpg
    overflow (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_160758515 (resized).jpg
    0B01199A-F9CE-4679-B245-9B692CCB49A0 (resized).jpeg
    20210116_203845 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #6 Example of some legs cleaned with evaporust Posted by Cheddar (9 years ago)

Post #8 Side by side example photo of evaporust cleaning Posted by futurepinhead (9 years ago)

Post #22 Links to US vendors who sell evaporust Posted by KenLayton (9 years ago)

Post #24 Suggestions on step wise process for evaporust Posted by ForceFlow (9 years ago)

Post #78 Review of 'Metal Rescue' alternative Posted by PhilGreg (8 years ago)

Post #98 Another set of leg comparison photos Posted by jeffc (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#156 6 years ago

I had a set of legs come in on a pin that were completely orange - no joke, I thought they were unsalvageable.

I left them in an evaporust tube for about 2 weeks (other stuff got in the way; not sure if it needed the full 2 weeks) and.. sparkling shiny. I had not polished them or scrubbed st all except I wiped them down with a bit of aluminum foil to clean the goop off. No pitting really either!

I did still have to use PB Blaster to unfreeze the levellers (and replaced those). Still - The cult is real! Lol

6 months later
    #170 6 years ago

It doesn’t seem to work very well on the levelers, at least in my experience - anybody know why?

I had a pair of legs that the levelers were rusted on so tight and I did not remove them before dipping them in Evaporust.. never got ‘em off so those legs are just sitting. The legs looks great but levelers look chewed up like hell. I tried PB Blaster and everything.

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Leg levelers typically frequently get wet from people mopping the floor. They also get covered in floor wax (on route locations). I have found that levelers which are rusted stuck in the leg threads, leave the legs soak for two weeks in the Evapo-Rust. That generally gets the rust in the threads disolved enough to get the old levelers out.
    For the cost of new levelers, it's better just to throw the old ones away and install new ones after removing the legs from the Evapo-Rust.

I agree - my problem was a frozen set of levelers which even for a genuine month in evaporust, were not movable. I wasn’t trying to save the levelers, but indeed the legs which are useless if you can’t adjust due to frozen levelers. Interesting all the abuse they get!

1 week later
    #176 6 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Heat from a torch on the threads will work

Damn! I did not try that. Thanks!

1 week later
    #177 6 years ago

Has anyone used these on the old Williams legs that were gold/brass coloured? I just got an IJ and would prefer to spend the rehab budget fixing the cab. Will the legs clean up or will evaporust kill the gold color too? I guess this goes for the wire forms as well

#182 6 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

I used it on a gold set of legs for WCS 94 and they came out just fine. Ended up being a waste of time though because I got the legs plated a week later lol

LOL. Well I'm going to try it - we'll see what I end up with! I can always put one in the back if it gets jacked up

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cult-of-evaporust?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.