Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 304 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 82 days ago by hawkmoon
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Princess-Auto-logo-2 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2021-05-12 092515 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210324_201428135 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1923 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1922 (resized).JPG
    28EB562B-7748-4F36-BBCC-47647609A396 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20210128_030137601 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030112109 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030214768 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_025824827 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_160718229 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_215824072 (resized).jpg
    overflow (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_160758515 (resized).jpg
    0B01199A-F9CE-4679-B245-9B692CCB49A0 (resized).jpeg
    20210116_203845 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #6 Example of some legs cleaned with evaporust Posted by Cheddar (9 years ago)

Post #8 Side by side example photo of evaporust cleaning Posted by futurepinhead (9 years ago)

Post #22 Links to US vendors who sell evaporust Posted by KenLayton (9 years ago)

Post #24 Suggestions on step wise process for evaporust Posted by ForceFlow (9 years ago)

Post #78 Review of 'Metal Rescue' alternative Posted by PhilGreg (8 years ago)

Post #98 Another set of leg comparison photos Posted by jeffc (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yup, I was surprised the first time I used it. Thought I was overpaying at $22/gallon, but the stuff works like magic.

You can reuse it many times if you pour it through a coffee filter to pull out the rust particles. So in the long run the $22 a gallon price isn't too bad. I've been using the heck out of the Evapo-Rust I have.

#7 9 years ago

You can polish the bolts with either Brasso or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. It's what I use.

9 months later
    #33 8 years ago

Evapo-Rust -> Rinse with warm water -> Dry off -> Polish with either Brasso or chrome polish. That's what I do and it works well for me.

5 months later
    #45 8 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

I get my Evaporust at $9.99 a gallon and $3.99 for 32oz's. Great stuff!!!

Where can it be bought that cheap? Lowest I've seen was $22.99 for a gallon at O'Reilly's Auto Parts stores.

1 week later
    #59 8 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I'm thinking about using some sort of heat wrap on my PVC tube for Evaporust, as it's cold out in my garage this time of year.
    Has anyone done this, & what type did you use?

Say, that's a pretty good idea. Some of that electric pipe warming tape/wrap would probably work very well in cold environments.

1 month later
    #64 8 years ago

Liquid Lightning? Isn't that a caustic acid drain & sewer cleaner?

3 months later
    #88 7 years ago

The main advantage of the tube is that it is very useful for long skinny stuff like legs, habitrail ramps, lockdown bars, lockdown bar receivers (if you've got at least a 4" diameter tube to do it in). You can use any old container to put the Evapo-Rust in and you don't have to use a lid. It's just that the Evapo-Rust is so expensive and it does evaporate if not covered. Plus if you have a snap on lid, you don't have to worry about leaks or spills.

I have never tried Evapo-Rust in ultrasonic cleaners.

#99 7 years ago

Wow, those legs really cleaned up nice!

#101 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

A gallon is currently $15 at Amazon. Good deal?
    amazon.com link »

If you can get it with free shipping, hell yes, that's a good price!

1 month later
    #103 7 years ago
    Quoted from comment23:

What's the re-usability of Evaporust? For example, if I have a piece of 3" pipe that I fill up half way, then drop in some legs, can I do multiple cleanings with the solution? Does it become less effective with multiple cleanings?

Yes, you can reuse it dozens and dozens of times. After about 100 uses, it will lose effectiveness (takes longer to work) and gets clogged with particles of rust. Pouring it into a coffee filter and into another container then back into your original container will help squeeze more life out of it. Remember, Evapo-Rust should be kept in a container with a lid or else it will ...... evaporate! As you use it you will spill some of it as you pull the legs out. When I start with a fresh 4" diameter tube full of 4 legs, it takes 1.5 gallons of Evapo-Rust to fill it. Eventually as it gets used, the fluid level will go down due to spillage so I replenish with a fresh one quart jug of it.

It's also temperature sensitive. The warmer the ambient temperature (preferably over 65 degrees), the faster it works. As an example on those 80 degree summer days, I can do a set of 4 legs in just two hours! It does not hurt anything to leave the legs in there for a week or two (or even a month) if you forget about the legs.

When you pull the legs out, be sure to rinse them off and dry them right away. Now apply some chrome polish and you've got yourself a nice set of legs!

4 months later
    #112 7 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

When you put multiple legs in the tube at once, do you need any kind of spacer or anything? Do you put them in in opposite directions?
    kenlayton why do you use a 4" tube rather than a 3"?

Nope, no spacers.

I put the legs in opposite directions.

I use a 4" diameter tube because you can put in four legs at once (a whole set). If you use a 3" tube. you can only fit two legs in it.

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Was thinking of trying a plastic tube like this one for parts like lockdowns, lockdown receivers, backchannel metal. Seems to be just the right size and see-through so I could watch progress and not risk losing small parts. Would it work?
    amazon.com link »

Nope, I don't think this would be a good choice. Look at the description:

"Tube is Water and Light Resistant - It Protects Materials Against Fading"

It's gonna leak. No where does it say it holds liquids.

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Where do you guys get your PVC - will a place like Home Depot cut to size for you?

This post details the PVC items I bought at my local Lowe's Hardware store:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evapo-rust-24-hour-challenge-1/page/2#post-1352446

That was to build a 3" diameter tube.

#125 7 years ago

Yup, they got the 4" also. It was just at the time I had built a 3" one for a friend. Then later we decided to make a 4" one so we could do more legs at once. Plus the 4" can do a lockdown bar receiver or just the lockdown bar itself (be sure to tie a string or piece of wire to it to pull it out).

1 week later
    #134 7 years ago

Throw those ball gates into a tumbler now and they will look great!

1 month later
    #142 7 years ago

Just toss those dark balls into the tumbler and they will shine back up like new. Or you can polish the balls with either Simichrome or Brasso.

10 months later
    #171 6 years ago

Leg levelers typically frequently get wet from people mopping the floor. They also get covered in floor wax (on route locations). I have found that levelers which are rusted stuck in the leg threads, leave the legs soak for two weeks in the Evapo-Rust. That generally gets the rust in the threads disolved enough to get the old levelers out.

For the cost of new levelers, it's better just to throw the old ones away and install new ones after removing the legs from the Evapo-Rust.

1 year later
    #202 4 years ago

Yes, they should be ok provided the rust has not gotten underneath the paint.

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Very interesting and convincing examples shown here. Wondering if anyone uses this stuff on rusty parts that are too large or bulky to submerge in the solution? In such a case can it be sprayed on then rinsed off with a water hose? I’m thinking automotive use like if a differential housing has slight surface rust on the black paint, would this remove it then dry and repaint?
    I have also read that acetone can act as an effective rust remover, maybe it’s an ingredient of evaporust which is why it flashes off quickly?

This is why they sell it in 55 gallon drums and 5 gallon pails at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

#208 4 years ago

When you pull out the legs from the Evapo-Rust, immediately rinse them with hot water, towel dry, then use a hair dryer to finish drying them. As an extra measure to finish them up nicely, I apply chrome polish.

1 year later
    #261 3 years ago

I bet you're saying, "How did I ever get along without this stuff?" now, aren't you?

#263 3 years ago
    Quoted from aahgo:

I just tie a piece of nylon twine through the holes in whatever parts I am cleaning and loop it inside the top of the tube.

Same here. That's what I do.

#265 3 years ago

Did you wash it in warm/hot water directly after you took it out? You've got to rinse off the Evapo-Rust straight away. Also must force air heat dry it with a hair dryer.

2 weeks later
    #270 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Well, it finally happened...my Evaporust no longer works. Sad day.

It does wear out. But remember also, it is temperature dependent. It does it's best (and fastest) work at 65 degrees and higher (preferably 80 degrees).

So in the winter time when it's cold, it will take longer to work.

1 week later
    #273 3 years ago

I've disposed of it either down the drain or directly on the ground.

#278 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I'm going to find out what happens when you leave something in Evaporust for a month. I forgot I put something in it, and it will be in over a month before I can get it out. Any ideas on what will happen? It's a pair of rusty pliers.

I've left some rusted pinball legs in for a month. They came out like brand new!

4 weeks later
    #288 2 years ago

That's probbly from not agitating the Evapo-Rust solution every so often.

4 months later
    #293 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

There seem to be some great ideas with tubes/drilled baskets for legs. Does anyone have any neat tricks for the smaller stuff (nuts/bolts)?

I use an empty plastic Reser's Potato Salad container (with lid) or an empty ice cream plastic container with lid. Works great for small parts.

1 week later
    #297 2 years ago

Yes, you can drop an entire target assembly into the Evapo-Rust. It does not harm plastic.

Just be sure that when you are done soaking the target assembly that you wash it with warm water and dry it right away with a fan or hair dryer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cult-of-evaporust?tu=kenlayton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.