Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 304 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by hawkmoon
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Princess-Auto-logo-2 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2021-05-12 092515 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210324_201428135 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1923 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1922 (resized).JPG
    28EB562B-7748-4F36-BBCC-47647609A396 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20210128_030137601 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030112109 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030214768 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_025824827 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_160718229 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_215824072 (resized).jpg
    overflow (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_160758515 (resized).jpg
    0B01199A-F9CE-4679-B245-9B692CCB49A0 (resized).jpeg
    20210116_203845 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 3 years ago
    Quoted from CanadianPinball:

5 gallon bucket has a basket.
    If you wanna drop parts in your tube, borrow the wife's lingerie bag....it works great.

Where did you find a 5 gal bucket in Ontario. The largest I have found is 3.5 gal at Princess Auto for $99 CAD. I figured at $0.70 USD/CAD, Canada get the smaller pail.
    PXL_20210125_160718229 (resized).jpgPXL_20210125_160718229 (resized).jpg

The only other Ontario supplier mentioned on https://evapo-rust.com is Lee Valley and they are way to pricey!

#252 3 years ago

Probably the 3.5, bought it 5 years ago.

Can't remember the price but it was on sale so I bought 2.

#253 3 years ago
    Quoted from RDBowers:

Has anybody considered constructing a "basket" to lower parts into the tube and make it easier to pull them out?

Usually when I use my tube it's for legs, and I just use a coat hanger.
    For smaller parts I use a plastic tub and just dump the tube juice in there, and then back in the tube when done.
    Not very delicate but it gets the job done

#254 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Usually when I use my tube it's for legs, and I just use a coat hanger.

Fishing with a coat hanger hook. That would work for legs with big bolt holes. I was thinking that might be an option as I was pulling legs out of the tube this morning.

I was planning to use it for other parts as well, like a lock bar mechanism or the channel used to restrain the upper cabinet back door for EMs. They don't have big holes to hook and are considerably shorter than legs. The tube I constructed is 36 inches, so I would have to reach down in the tube 16 to 18 inches to get a grip on them.

I have a length of 3" PVC pipe, so I am going to try building something tonight.

#255 3 years ago

I just tie a piece of nylon twine through the holes in whatever parts I am cleaning and loop it inside the top of the tube.

#256 3 years ago
    Quoted from aahgo:

I just tie a piece of nylon twine through the holes in whatever parts I am cleaning and loop it inside the top of the tube.

That will work!

#257 3 years ago

Here are some photos of the basket I built this evening. Used a 3" PVC pipe with 1-1/4" holes drilled in it and an end cap with 1/4" holes.
    PXL_20210128_025824827 (resized).jpgPXL_20210128_025824827 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030214768 (resized).jpgPXL_20210128_030214768 (resized).jpg

I can load the basket up with parts and carefully slide it into the tank, then put the lid on. Another benefit I figured out while testing is I can raise the basket up put a rod through the holes and let the parts drip dry.
    PXL_20210128_030112109 (resized).jpgPXL_20210128_030112109 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030137601 (resized).jpgPXL_20210128_030137601 (resized).jpg

#258 3 years ago

Pretty cool idea, I love it.

I wasn't joking about the lingerie bag, I use them for small parts. https://www.amazon.ca/JClover-Delicates-Lingerie-Organize-Underwear/dp/B07X9NG74L/

#260 3 years ago

Just WOW this product is awesome! Just bought the 3 gallon bucket and used it on a lockbar receiver and it turned that rusty thing into something that could almost pass for brand new. Reccomended for sure. Next I am going to build a PVC tube fixture like mentioned before for long objects. Every pinball restorer need a bucket of this!

#261 3 years ago

I bet you're saying, "How did I ever get along without this stuff?" now, aren't you?

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from RDBowers:

Already made a modification. Replaced the metal strapping with pipe clamps. This holds the pipe tighter and I can easily loosen the clamp when I want to remove the tube.
    [quoted image]
    Has anybody considered constructing a "basket" to lower parts into the tube and make it easier to pull them out? Any thoughts on the materials to use and how it might be constructed? I was thinking of using a 3" diameter PVC pipe with a cap on the end. Then drill 20 to 25, 1/4" holes in the bottom and either several slots or 1" holes along the length of the pipe.

I just use an old metal coat hanger. And a rubber stopper up top instead of a screw on.

#263 3 years ago
    Quoted from aahgo:

Same here. That's what I do.

#264 3 years ago

Question for you guys. I soaked to lockbars in the 3 gallon bucket. One came out nice and clean and the other one came out sticky to the touch once dried. Any idea why?

#265 3 years ago

Did you wash it in warm/hot water directly after you took it out? You've got to rinse off the Evapo-Rust straight away. Also must force air heat dry it with a hair dryer.

#267 3 years ago
    Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Nope. Noted.
    Thanks Ken.

While not appropriate since you were working on a lockdown bar... After removing smaller parts from Evaporust and rinsing/drying, I toss them in the vibratory polisher w/walnut shells. I read somewhere (might have been an auto detail website) people were adding a small amount of 'Nu Finish' car polish into the shells to help coat the parts as the walnut shells put a nice shine on the metal parts, so I've played around w/that too.

2 weeks later
    #268 3 years ago

Well, it finally happened...my Evaporust no longer works. Sad day.

#269 3 years ago

Is it just old and worn out? Assuming the liquid is very brown or so?

#270 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Well, it finally happened...my Evaporust no longer works. Sad day.

It does wear out. But remember also, it is temperature dependent. It does it's best (and fastest) work at 65 degrees and higher (preferably 80 degrees).

So in the winter time when it's cold, it will take longer to work.

1 week later
    #271 3 years ago

Okay so I made a PVC tube to soak legs, and maybe I have worn out the Evaporust...cause it now smells like SHIT?
    I mean really funky. Is that normal?

#272 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

It does wear out. But remember also, it is temperature dependent. It does it's best (and fastest) work at 65 degrees and higher (preferably 80 degrees).

Yeah, I left the parts in for several days...still rusty. And it's just gone summer here (southern hemisphere). Can you dispose of it down the drain? Says it's biodegradable on the container.

#273 3 years ago

I've disposed of it either down the drain or directly on the ground.

#274 3 years ago

I'm going to find out what happens when you leave something in Evaporust for a month. I forgot I put something in it, and it will be in over a month before I can get it out. Any ideas on what will happen? It's a pair of rusty pliers.

#275 3 years ago

What the heck is in That stuff? Is it toxic? If not it’s just some sort of vinegar I would think.

#276 3 years ago

Link to MSDS for Evaporust. Decide for yourself what it is. Proprietary secret.

https://evaporust.com/SDS%20PDF/SDS%20Evaporust.pdf

#277 3 years ago

So based on what I read it’s lemon juice of some sort.

#278 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I'm going to find out what happens when you leave something in Evaporust for a month. I forgot I put something in it, and it will be in over a month before I can get it out. Any ideas on what will happen? It's a pair of rusty pliers.

I've left some rusted pinball legs in for a month. They came out like brand new!

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've left some rusted pinball legs in for a month. They came out like brand new!

I've read/seen some examples of some parts not loving being in there for long periods of time. Legs on the other hand do not seem to be one of those things.

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from RDBowers:

Fishing with a coat hanger hook. That would work for legs with big bolt holes. I was thinking that might be an option as I was pulling legs out of the tube this morning.
    I was planning to use it for other parts as well, like a lock bar mechanism or the channel used to restrain the upper cabinet back door for EMs. They don't have big holes to hook and are considerably shorter than legs. The tube I constructed is 36 inches, so I would have to reach down in the tube 16 to 18 inches to get a grip on them.
    I have a length of 3" PVC pipe, so I am going to try building something tonight.

Screwed strong magnet to a 2' length of 1 X 1 wood. Works great.

#281 3 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

I've read/seen some examples of some parts not loving being in there for long periods of time. Legs on the other hand do not seem to be one of those things.

I left some non plated bare metal parts in for a week accidentally and it turned them dark. No rust, just dark metal. But didn't matter, they were interior cab parts. Also oddly had a spot of rust on a gold toned coin chute, and just stuck it into about 2" of evaporust, it changed the color of the gold metal slightly. But again, no big deal.

#282 3 years ago

This might be a bit of blasphemy for this thread, but I saw this product for sale at a local store and was wondering if anyone has some experience or opinions on it. Looks like it comes in “bath” or gel, and I can get it locally for about the same price as evaporust.

28EB562B-7748-4F36-BBCC-47647609A396 (resized).jpeg28EB562B-7748-4F36-BBCC-47647609A396 (resized).jpeg
    #283 3 years ago

Interesting rust removal videos, including comparing options to Evaporust.

Examines various rust removal products. And even tries Coke-Cola, vinegar, and molasses too.

#284 3 years ago

PVC Tube constructed.

I gotta start remembering to take before pictures.....

IMG_1922 (resized).JPGIMG_1922 (resized).JPGIMG_1923 (resized).JPGIMG_1923 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #285 3 years ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

This might be a bit of blasphemy for this thread, but I saw this product for sale at a local store and was wondering if anyone has some experience or opinions on it. Looks like it comes in “bath” or gel, and I can get it locally for about the same price as evaporust.
    [quoted image]

Nah all rust removal is good and wanted, I run a home for unwanted rust remover.

1 week later
    #286 3 years ago

Well, got home last night, pulled out the pliers, and after 31 days in Evaporust, it came out clean. The chrome is still shiny, and the areas where the chrome was gone was black, and had a black putty like substance on it. The black stuff seemed to spread like graphite, very hard to clean it all off. To sum it up, I would say the extra time did not hurt anything.

#287 3 years ago

Put some parts in the basket provided in the 3.5 gal bucket of Evaporust and left them submerged and undisturbed overnight (10 hrs) and was suprised by the results. The grid pattern left on the parts is the pattern of the basket. Took about two hours working with the polisher to remove the brown stains. Any idea what might have caused this?PXL_20210324_201428135 (resized).jpgPXL_20210324_201428135 (resized).jpg

#288 3 years ago

That's probbly from not agitating the Evapo-Rust solution every so often.

1 month later
    #289 2 years ago

For those of us in Canada, Princess Auto is selling the 3.5 gallon bucket (with basket) for $79.99 till May 23. This is the best deal I have seen. https://www.princessauto.com/en/rust-remover/product/PA0008606360
    Evapo-rustEvapo-rust PRincess AutoPRincess Auto

2 months later
    #290 2 years ago

There seem to be some great ideas with tubes/drilled baskets for legs. Does anyone have any neat tricks for the smaller stuff (nuts/bolts)?

#291 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

There seem to be some great ideas with tubes/drilled baskets for legs. Does anyone have any neat tricks for the smaller stuff (nuts/bolts)?

Personally I just keep a plastic tote around for small or flat stuff. I just poor it out of my tube into it, and then back in the tube when done

#292 2 years ago
    Quoted from RDBowers:

Has anybody considered constructing a "basket" to lower parts into the tube and make it easier to pull them out?

Clean out a Jif peanut butter jar, one of the bigger ones. Drill a few holes so the good stuff can get in/out, drill a little hole in the lid and pop a piece of wire in. Works every time

#293 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I use an empty plastic Reser's Potato Salad container (with lid) or an empty ice cream plastic container with lid. Works great for small parts.

#294 2 years ago

For small parts I have a jar of the stuff and I drop a small mesh bag into the solution.

#295 2 years ago

Well I’m Converted with a capital C!! Holy crap this is magic stuff. Will post some pics on some of the rustiest stuff.

#296 2 years ago

So I’ve completely stripped a Getaway playfield, there is a bunch of rust/corrosion on mechs etc. All lamp sockets are completely fubar. Stand up targets also have rust etc on the mounts etc but they look salvageable.

Can I just dunk targets straight into a container of evapo rust? I’d prefer not to remove them from the loom as it’s quite a mess already. Would that work? What can’t I put in Evapo Rust?

#297 2 years ago

Yes, you can drop an entire target assembly into the Evapo-Rust. It does not harm plastic.

Just be sure that when you are done soaking the target assembly that you wash it with warm water and dry it right away with a fan or hair dryer.

#298 2 years ago

Awesome. Thanks Ken

2 years later
    1 month later
    #300 6 months ago

Newbie here. This stuff is frickin amazing. The coin box I have looks nearly new. Better than media blasting which is my usual goto.

Bought a five gallon container from Amazon. This stuff is great!

There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cult-of-evaporust/page/6?hl=canadianpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.