Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 304 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by hawkmoon
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Princess-Auto-logo-2 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2021-05-12 092515 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210324_201428135 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1923 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1922 (resized).JPG
    28EB562B-7748-4F36-BBCC-47647609A396 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20210128_030137601 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030112109 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_030214768 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210128_025824827 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_160718229 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_215824072 (resized).jpg
    overflow (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210125_160758515 (resized).jpg
    0B01199A-F9CE-4679-B245-9B692CCB49A0 (resized).jpeg
    20210116_203845 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 4 years ago

Recent member of the cult, here. I've now done several sets of chrome legs with great results. I just got a classic Stern with silver textured finish on the legs. They look mostly great, but have a few rust spots. From reading, it seems I should be safe to put them in my evaporust PVC tube and it will only attack the rust, leaving the original pain OK?

#202 4 years ago

Yes, they should be ok provided the rust has not gotten underneath the paint.

#203 4 years ago

So what do you use for the wash? I stopped using the Evaporust because when I rinsed off the legs they’d immediately start rusting while rinsing.
    I have used the paste but the legs seem to still rust. I’ve got the rustoleolum spray paint now so I’d like to derust, rinse so they don’t rust and then spray them the nice hammertone silver. Any suggestions or step-by-step process descriptions?

I have the PVC tube and to speed up the process I was using a small tank-heater to heat the evaporust to like 140 since I heard it does much better in hot water.
    Also how many hours at that temp? I also was using a small pump to circulate the mix, I wasn’t sure if that’s good or bad.

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

So what do you use for the wash? I stopped using the Evaporust because when I rinsed off the legs they’d immediately start rusting while rinsing.
    I have used the paste but the legs seem to still rust. I’ve got the rustoleolum spray paint now so I’d like to derust, rinse so they don’t rust and then spray them the nice hammertone silver. Any suggestions or step-by-step process descriptions?
    I have the PVC tube and to speed up the process I was using a small tank-heater to heat the evaporust to like 140 since I heard it does much better in hot water.
    Also how many hours at that temp? I also was using a small pump to circulate the mix, I wasn’t sure if that’s good or bad.

The times I've used it, I take the legs to a bathtub and rinse with hot water and immediately dry with a towel. Haven't had any rust return or any flash rusting.

#205 4 years ago

Gotta agree on that, first time I used it I got a little rust, "flash" may be the word, but anyway second time and al time, give the legs a good rinse and then dry them immediately.
    I have a question though, I see a awful lot of references to people spraying just about everything with sealer aka spray, whatever, I use "MODGE PODGE" and the KRYLON product, I use it on legs if Ive painted them. It does seems the paint likes to chip if two legs hit each other. When sealed with the acrylic spray, they don't chip so easily.
    I do not understand sealing lamp sockets. Isn't the product going to get between the surface of the light base and the socket and the socket itself? Seems to me it would be a deterrent to good electrical continuity. Please smarten me up here whats good and bad to spray and what advantages are gained? BESIDES legs of course.
    Thanks
    picture of my smart ass great nephew who uses words like synopsis ,scenario, and says about the salt truck to my brother" That's not salt granpa Randy, that's sodium chloride. Hes 4.

010 (resized).jpg010 (resized).jpg
    #206 4 years ago

Very interesting and convincing examples shown here. Wondering if anyone uses this stuff on rusty parts that are too large or bulky to submerge in the solution? In such a case can it be sprayed on then rinsed off with a water hose? I’m thinking automotive use like if a differential housing has slight surface rust on the black paint, would this remove it then dry and repaint?

I have also read that acetone can act as an effective rust remover, maybe it’s an ingredient of evaporust which is why it flashes off quickly?

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Very interesting and convincing examples shown here. Wondering if anyone uses this stuff on rusty parts that are too large or bulky to submerge in the solution? In such a case can it be sprayed on then rinsed off with a water hose? I’m thinking automotive use like if a differential housing has slight surface rust on the black paint, would this remove it then dry and repaint?
    I have also read that acetone can act as an effective rust remover, maybe it’s an ingredient of evaporust which is why it flashes off quickly?

This is why they sell it in 55 gallon drums and 5 gallon pails at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

#208 4 years ago

When you pull out the legs from the Evapo-Rust, immediately rinse them with hot water, towel dry, then use a hair dryer to finish drying them. As an extra measure to finish them up nicely, I apply chrome polish.

1 week later
    #209 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

When you pull out the legs from the Evapo-Rust, immediately rinse them with hot water, towel dry, then use a hair dryer to finish drying them. As an extra measure to finish them up nicely, I apply chrome polish.

I use the same technique and have had amazing results.

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

The times I've used it, I take the legs to a bathtub and rinse with hot water and immediately dry with a towel. Haven't had any rust return or any flash rusting.

Same. I rinse in hot water, towel it all down immediately, then hit it all with compressed air and a heat gun.

#211 4 years ago

My classic Stern legs with a little rust came out great, btw. I only left them in the solution for a couple hours instead of a whole day like chrome legs. I'll be doing this with a set of dark gray painted Bally legs with a bit of rust near the leveler area soon also.

1 month later
    #212 4 years ago

What about switches?

Also flipper assembly as a whole?

Got a Mario with rust on all screws and switches.

Even on large block on bottomed of machine transistor?

What do I do there?

Thanks guys for any opinions

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from agodfrey:

Pro tip. And PLEASE learn from my mistake! Ha. I thought I was an ok pipe sealer....nope. The first time I tried it a bunch gooshed out. Luckily I had bought an additional small bottle of it. All in all I think I lost a quart. Not the end of the world but $9 gone in a flash. Ha. So I went back to Lowes and found these sweet end caps. Works well!!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Because of you pictures I did exact same thing.

Thanks!
    Works perfectly

3 months later
    #214 4 years ago

Finally about time to discard my first gallon and buy a new one, since the evaporust is now black. First gallon got me through 6 machines worth of rusty parts with flying colors:
    24 legs (and levelers if I couldn't get them off.... They all came off no problem after the evaporust bath in a tube)
    48 leg bolts
    Countless random screws, washers and other random hardware.

At about $15/gallon (the price I can generally find this stuff for), that comes out to about $2.50 per machine...plus maybe 25 cents worth of coffee filters and packing tape for cleaning the evaporust for reuse.

General tips that worked well for me:
    I've found that the first set of legs/hardware comes out good to go after about 24-48 hours, depending on the amount of rust. I filter between machine loads and add about half a day for each additional machines-worth of parts. So, by the end, I'm leaving parts in the tube/tupperware for 4 days or so on "machine 6" .

My filtering generally takes me about 10-15 minutes and consists of stuff I generally had just laying around: a 2 gallon plastic pail with a pour spout, a plastic funnel, a big piece of cheesecloth, a strainer, and 3 or 4 paper coffee filters.
    1. Fold the piece of cheesecloth to make 2 or 3 layers and just tape it (packing tape works well) over the top of the 2 gallon bucket and pour the entire used solution through it. This takes out all the big chunks of crap that will plug up a paper coffee filter really quickly.
    2. Put the funnel in the original gallon evaporust container, set the strainer in it, and place a paper coffee filter in that. Pour the evaporust from the bucket through the filter/strainer/funnel to refill your gallon. Discard/swap out the filter after filling it 2-3 times, since it will start to get clogged from micro-particles. Putting the filter in a strainer first makes removing/changing it much easier, allows you to 'shake it" a little to finish getting the solution through it, and provides a better "open" surface area for it to drain than you will get if you put it straight in the funnel.
    3. Just rinse your equipment and cheesecloth with a hose/sprayer when done and you'll be good to use it again the next time.
    IMG_20200309_215741761 (resized).jpgIMG_20200309_215741761 (resized).jpg

6 months later
    #215 3 years ago

I've been using Evaporust for years now to de-rust mechs, bolts, lockdown hardware, stuff like that, never legs until now. Just put a tube together and have done four sets of legs so far, with results from good to amazing. Before soaking, I give the legs a good scrubbing with Simple Green to remove any dirt, old wax, and loose rust, soak for a full day or two in my warm utility room, then another good scrubbing with Simple Green to remove any leftover Evaporust and residue. Finally, blow off with compressed air, especially the bottom where the metal is folded over and the leveller screws in, as water is always trapped in there, and coat leg with carnauba wax. Difficult to tell from a few feet away which are the de-rusted legs and which are the brand new ones on my machines.

#216 3 years ago

Would be curious to see a photo of your tube.

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

I'm thinking it's this one

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cult-of-evaporust/page/4#post-4499034

I made one similar, no pics however.

#218 3 years ago

I wanted to share my experiences with rust removal, evaporust, on metal.
    In using everything out there for 50 years, and polishing metal with commercial buffing equipment, in my work,
    one aspect is missing, IMO, on the end steps.
    Yes indeed, All rust removal chemical needs to be washed off.

But I go further. I neutralize, with White Vinegar, then, I wipe down a few times with 99% alcohol.

If it is metal prone to rust, or I have removed large amounts, I then clear coat.
    Small items, I use alcohol based Everbrite, Larger parts like legs, can be almost anything, even waxing, to keep moisture
    out.

Too often, residual antirust products remain, and either rust returns, the pieces turn white or black, or they just get too brittle,
    if there isnt much metal left, after severe rusting.

I had just finished chatting with someone, who didnt neutralize, and clear, and the rust returned within weeks.

#219 3 years ago

Radial-
    Here’s a picture of what I made for cleaning legs. The pipe plug is in case it gets tipped over.

5D2EFB24-0C26-4436-AACD-02CACA61CC74 (resized).jpeg5D2EFB24-0C26-4436-AACD-02CACA61CC74 (resized).jpegAE128090-D8F4-42E0-8AE9-DA1D0ABBACAC (resized).jpegAE128090-D8F4-42E0-8AE9-DA1D0ABBACAC (resized).jpeg
    #220 3 years ago

Do people usually keep their container/tube indoors or outdoors when not really using? I wasn't sure if there was temperature issues and/or if there was any reason to do one way or the other. thanks

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from cburnett11:

Do people usually keep their container/tube indoors or outdoors when not really using? I wasn't sure if there was temperature issues and/or if there was any reason to do one way or the other. thanks

I keep mine sealed in the garage because it can get messy when removing stuff from the pipe.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from cburnett11:

I wasn't sure if there was temperature issues and/or if there was any reason to do one way or the other. thanks

I keep mine sealed in the garage ...

And I keep mine in the basement so sounds like it's goof either way

#223 3 years ago

I haven't strained mine yet. I was thinking of pulling an old cotton t shirt around the opening then pouring it into a storage tub, then cleaning the gunk out of the tube and putting the evaporust back. Sound doable?

#224 3 years ago

Kind of does sound like it would work

#225 3 years ago

I haven't strained mine yet. I was thinking of pulling an old cotton t shirt around the opening then pouring it into a storage tub, then cleaning the gunk out of the tube and putting the evaporust back. Sound doable?

See my post above for what I've found works well for cleaning and reuse of the evaporust.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cult-of-evaporust/page/5#post-5516827

Regardless, your method should work fine for quick and dirty cleaning, or maybe try cheesecloth if you don't want to waste a t-shirt.

#226 3 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

4" tube with these, just like Billc479 but the red plugs at both ends. I was afraid the bottom one might leak but so far, so good.

red-oatey-sink-hole-covers-33403d-64_1000 (resized).jpgred-oatey-sink-hole-covers-33403d-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    #227 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

4" tube with these, just like Billc479 but the red plugs at both ends. I was afraid the bottom one might leak but so far, so good.
    [quoted image]

Why don't you guys just glue a cap on the end? Never had any trouble with mine... just used it today on the clutch lever off of my '47 Willys CJ2a.

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Why don't you guys just glue a cap on the end?

Agreed.

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Why don't you guys just glue a cap on the end? Never had any trouble with mine... just used it today on the clutch lever off of my '47 Willys CJ2a.

I wanted to but couldn't find a cap that would fit. My contractor neighbor gave me a piece of 4" PVC tubing to use, apparently it had a thinner wall than the 1/2" thick kind you find at Home Depot or Lowes and none of their caps would fit. The plugs work just fine, and I can open both ends when the time comes to clean it out.

#230 3 years ago

Mine does have a cap glued on the bottom.

2 weeks later
    #231 3 years ago

Evaporust on sale

Evapo-Rust The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-Based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 1 Gallon,Gray,ER012 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ66/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Wp5HFbJYFV5MK

2 weeks later
    #232 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Evaporust on sale

Good deal, they are $25 at my local car parts shop. Liquid gold!

1 month later
    #233 3 years ago

Is there anything you can do once the solution turns black, or is it time to get new stuff?

#234 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Is there anything you can do once the solution turns black, or is it time to get new stuff?

Mine is black and still works fine. I strained gunk out by pouring it through a cotton t shirt, then put it back in the tube. It is dark but still eats rust.

#235 3 years ago

I think it still works but it leaves more of the black residue on the parts now. I guess maybe I should be more careful about how long I am leaving them in?

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

I think it still works but it leaves more of the black residue on the parts now. I guess maybe I should be more careful about how long I am leaving them in?

Mine setup is 4 years old and black AF. 24-36 hrs is still optimal.

I rinse with the hottest water I can as soon as I pull the parts.

#237 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

I think it still works but it leaves more of the black residue on the parts now...

Parts touching? Once I had 1 Leg that got a black outline mark form touching another, but it was the only one I've ever had. I could never get it off either, strange.

1 week later
    #238 3 years ago

Which of these is preferred?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #239 3 years ago
    Quoted from wrd1972:

Which of these is preferred?
    [quoted image]

I have # 2 for parts and # 3 poured into my tube for legs and longer parts

#240 3 years ago

Made a little stand for my leg tube. Seems to work pretty well.

59E91749-2721-4063-9474-E216651791A8 (resized).jpeg59E91749-2721-4063-9474-E216651791A8 (resized).jpeg
    #241 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Evaporust on sale
    Evapo-Rust The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-Based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 1 Gallon,Gray,ER012 amazon.com link »

Killer deal, ordered just to have extra on hand

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

Made a little stand for my leg tube. Seems to work pretty well.

Nice, I need to make one of those.

#243 3 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Killer deal, ordered just to have extra on hand

That is a pretty good deal. Just ordered some myself.

Quoted from dasvis:

Nice, I need to make one of those.

Thanks.

1 month later
    #244 3 years ago

Proud to be finally joining this cult. It’s extremely eye-wateringly expensive over here, but haven’t found a local product that works even remotely as well. Given you get so many uses out of it, it’s worth the admission price imo. Bought the 5Litre concentrate (makes 30Litre) and some of the gell which works well. Also going to give the aloy stuff a go.

Also found it works exceptionally well in ultrasonic cleaners.

28C1A989-62D4-4F99-A7FF-A3108F063053 (resized).jpeg28C1A989-62D4-4F99-A7FF-A3108F063053 (resized).jpegE7A279D7-728A-4386-8A33-A2A8DAD488F1 (resized).jpegE7A279D7-728A-4386-8A33-A2A8DAD488F1 (resized).jpeg
    #245 3 years ago

Btw, I’ve found a fine spray of Inox works well after to stop further rusting (wiping off the excess).

#246 3 years ago

Too funny, I pulled mine out yesterday and wire brushed and then sanded. I didn't evaporust. I know there are still some flaws, but the machine isn't a beauty queen.

20210116_203845 (resized).jpg20210116_203845 (resized).jpg
    #247 3 years ago

Also discovered the gell stuff...works really well for parts that are difficult to remove....no before photo of this, but you know how rusted and manky these anti-theft panels get.
    0B01199A-F9CE-4679-B245-9B692CCB49A0 (resized).jpeg0B01199A-F9CE-4679-B245-9B692CCB49A0 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #248 3 years ago

Just built a tube container for soaking long items like legs in Evapo-rust.
    PXL_20210125_160758515 (resized).jpgPXL_20210125_160758515 (resized).jpg

Has anybody ever considered installing an overflow drain like the coolant recovery system used in cars?
    overflow (resized).jpgoverflow (resized).jpg

Not sure if anybody has already shared the web address for Evapo-rust. https://evapo-rust.com/
    It has some useful FAQs, How-to-videos and a Store Locator.

#249 3 years ago

Already made a modification. Replaced the metal strapping with pipe clamps. This holds the pipe tighter and I can easily loosen the clamp when I want to remove the tube.
    PXL_20210125_215824072 (resized).jpgPXL_20210125_215824072 (resized).jpg

Has anybody considered constructing a "basket" to lower parts into the tube and make it easier to pull them out? Any thoughts on the materials to use and how it might be constructed? I was thinking of using a 3" diameter PVC pipe with a cap on the end. Then drill 20 to 25, 1/4" holes in the bottom and either several slots or 1" holes along the length of the pipe.

#250 3 years ago

5 gallon bucket has a basket.
    If you wanna drop parts in your tube, borrow the wife's lingerie bag....it works great.

There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cult-of-evaporust/page/5?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.