5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 211 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 days ago by treborlicec
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 63 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

010 (resized).jpg
    jasco (resized).jpeg
    IMG-4510 (resized).JPG
    20190129_182053 (resized).jpg
    20190123_234308 (resized).jpg
    20190121_162536 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180718_170134244_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180717_125921775 (resized).jpg
    20171219_072613 (resized).jpg
    20171218_205455 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7121 (resized).JPG
    2017-03-03 17.18.16 (resized).jpg
    TOM_170128 - 2 (resized).png
    IMG_9673 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8305 (resized).JPG
    2016_TOM_160115b - 3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 40 days ago

Recent member of the cult, here. I've now done several sets of chrome legs with great results. I just got a classic Stern with silver textured finish on the legs. They look mostly great, but have a few rust spots. From reading, it seems I should be safe to put them in my evaporust PVC tube and it will only attack the rust, leaving the original pain OK?

#202 40 days ago

Yes, they should be ok provided the rust has not gotten underneath the paint.

#203 40 days ago

So what do you use for the wash? I stopped using the Evaporust because when I rinsed off the legs they’d immediately start rusting while rinsing.
    I have used the paste but the legs seem to still rust. I’ve got the rustoleolum spray paint now so I’d like to derust, rinse so they don’t rust and then spray them the nice hammertone silver. Any suggestions or step-by-step process descriptions?

I have the PVC tube and to speed up the process I was using a small tank-heater to heat the evaporust to like 140 since I heard it does much better in hot water.
    Also how many hours at that temp? I also was using a small pump to circulate the mix, I wasn’t sure if that’s good or bad.

#204 40 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

So what do you use for the wash? I stopped using the Evaporust because when I rinsed off the legs they’d immediately start rusting while rinsing.
    I have used the paste but the legs seem to still rust. I’ve got the rustoleolum spray paint now so I’d like to derust, rinse so they don’t rust and then spray them the nice hammertone silver. Any suggestions or step-by-step process descriptions?
    I have the PVC tube and to speed up the process I was using a small tank-heater to heat the evaporust to like 140 since I heard it does much better in hot water.
    Also how many hours at that temp? I also was using a small pump to circulate the mix, I wasn’t sure if that’s good or bad.

The times I've used it, I take the legs to a bathtub and rinse with hot water and immediately dry with a towel. Haven't had any rust return or any flash rusting.

#205 40 days ago

Gotta agree on that, first time I used it I got a little rust, "flash" may be the word, but anyway second time and al time, give the legs a good rinse and then dry them immediately.
    I have a question though, I see a awful lot of references to people spraying just about everything with sealer aka spray, whatever, I use "MODGE PODGE" and the KRYLON product, I use it on legs if Ive painted them. It does seems the paint likes to chip if two legs hit each other. When sealed with the acrylic spray, they don't chip so easily.
    I do not understand sealing lamp sockets. Isn't the product going to get between the surface of the light base and the socket and the socket itself? Seems to me it would be a deterrent to good electrical continuity. Please smarten me up here whats good and bad to spray and what advantages are gained? BESIDES legs of course.
    Thanks
    picture of my smart ass great nephew who uses words like synopsis ,scenario, and says about the salt truck to my brother" That's not salt granpa Randy, that's sodium chloride. Hes 4.

010 (resized).jpg
    #206 40 days ago

Very interesting and convincing examples shown here. Wondering if anyone uses this stuff on rusty parts that are too large or bulky to submerge in the solution? In such a case can it be sprayed on then rinsed off with a water hose? I’m thinking automotive use like if a differential housing has slight surface rust on the black paint, would this remove it then dry and repaint?

I have also read that acetone can act as an effective rust remover, maybe it’s an ingredient of evaporust which is why it flashes off quickly?

#207 40 days ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Very interesting and convincing examples shown here. Wondering if anyone uses this stuff on rusty parts that are too large or bulky to submerge in the solution? In such a case can it be sprayed on then rinsed off with a water hose? I’m thinking automotive use like if a differential housing has slight surface rust on the black paint, would this remove it then dry and repaint?
    I have also read that acetone can act as an effective rust remover, maybe it’s an ingredient of evaporust which is why it flashes off quickly?

This is why they sell it in 55 gallon drums and 5 gallon pails at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

#208 40 days ago

When you pull out the legs from the Evapo-Rust, immediately rinse them with hot water, towel dry, then use a hair dryer to finish drying them. As an extra measure to finish them up nicely, I apply chrome polish.

1 week later
    #209 28 days ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

When you pull out the legs from the Evapo-Rust, immediately rinse them with hot water, towel dry, then use a hair dryer to finish drying them. As an extra measure to finish them up nicely, I apply chrome polish.

I use the same technique and have had amazing results.

#210 28 days ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

The times I've used it, I take the legs to a bathtub and rinse with hot water and immediately dry with a towel. Haven't had any rust return or any flash rusting.

Same. I rinse in hot water, towel it all down immediately, then hit it all with compressed air and a heat gun.

#211 28 days ago

My classic Stern legs with a little rust came out great, btw. I only left them in the solution for a couple hours instead of a whole day like chrome legs. I'll be doing this with a set of dark gray painted Bally legs with a bit of rust near the leveler area soon also.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 41.00
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pinball Haus
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Apparel - Women
    Pinball Wheezer
    There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside