4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 200 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 62 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jasco (resized).jpeg
    IMG-4510 (resized).JPG
    20190129_182053 (resized).jpg
    20190123_234308 (resized).jpg
    20190121_162536 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180718_170134244_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180717_125921775 (resized).jpg
    20171219_072613 (resized).jpg
    20171218_205455 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7121 (resized).JPG
    2017-03-03 17.18.16 (resized).jpg
    TOM_170128 - 2 (resized).png
    IMG_9673 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8305 (resized).JPG
    2016_TOM_160115b - 3 (resized).png
    2016_TOM_160115a - 7 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from CoitusMysterioso:

But looking on the positive side you just found a cheap way to get black balls! I wonder if you painted a design on the ball first would it leave that spot shiny afterwards.
    Could be a cool way to make custom balls!

Better (more durable) way of creating dark balls: Heat them with a blow torch and drop them in motor oil.

1 week later
    #152 2 years ago

before and after2017-03-03 17.18.16 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #153 2 years ago

So, I've got a major project game that needs tons of love. It was stored in a damp environment, so the cabinet was a total loss, and there's rust on a fair number of parts.

The wiring matrices have been removed, and the lamp sockets on the GI line are in bad shape. A few segments were separate from the main run, and I decided to use Metal Rescue (which seems to me is the same as Evaporust for all intents and purposes) to see if I could salvage them. Sure enough, the sockets cleaned up perfectly. (didn't have the forethought to take a "before" photo) I hit them with Boeshield to keep them from rusting again and felt pretty sporty.

So...the next step would be to go ahead and bathe the whole rest of the GI line in the same way. My question for the panel is, some of the bulbs on this line are on lamp boards - would Metal Rescue damage those boards? It would save a ton of work to simply be able to dunk the whole loom of wiring rather than clip off and re-solder all the lamp sockets...

IMG_7121 (resized).JPG

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from sethbenjamin:

So, I've got a major project game that needs tons of love. It was stored in a damp environment, so the cabinet was a total loss, and there's rust on a fair number of parts.
    The wiring matrices have been removed, and the lamp sockets on the GI line are in bad shape. A few segments were separate from the main run, and I decided to use Metal Rescue (which seems to me is the same as Evaporust for all intents and purposes) to see if I could salvage them. Sure enough, the sockets cleaned up perfectly. (didn't have the forethought to take a "before" photo) I hit them with Boeshield to keep them from rusting again and felt pretty sporty.
    So...the next step would be to go ahead and bathe the whole rest of the GI line in the same way. My question for the panel is, some of the bulbs on this line are on lamp boards - would Metal Rescue damage those boards? It would save a ton of work to simply be able to dunk the whole loom of wiring rather than clip off and re-solder all the lamp sockets...

I would dunk the entire loom and afterwards bake it in the oven at the lowest setting.

2 months later
    #155 1 year ago

Just became a cult member. This is not an elaborate hoax; the pictures are real! I saw the before and after pics, but in the back of my mind was the tickle of a doubt. No more. I'm now looking for other stuff to dunk.

#156 1 year ago

I had a set of legs come in on a pin that were completely orange - no joke, I thought they were unsalvageable.

I left them in an evaporust tube for about 2 weeks (other stuff got in the way; not sure if it needed the full 2 weeks) and.. sparkling shiny. I had not polished them or scrubbed st all except I wiped them down with a bit of aluminum foil to clean the goop off. No pitting really either!

I did still have to use PB Blaster to unfreeze the levellers (and replaced those). Still - The cult is real! Lol

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lame33:

Just became a cult member. This is not an elaborate hoax; the pictures are real! I saw the before and after pics, but in the back of my mind was the tickle of a doubt. No more. I'm now looking for other stuff to dunk.

It's good shit, Maynard

1 month later
    3 weeks later
    #159 1 year ago

You can currently get this for $13.99/gal at Pep Boys with promo code MMJ30 (good thru 8/7). Buy two to get free shipping!

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/206426/00739?CID=358129_affiliate

1 week later
    #160 1 year ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

You can currently get this for $13.99/gal at Pep Boys with promo code MMJ30 (good thru 8/7). Buy two to get free shipping!
    https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/206426/00739?CID=358129_affiliate

great heads up. awesome deal. just bought 4.

2 months later
    #161 1 year ago
    Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I’m tackling the same issue right now. I’ve got some evapo-rust coming, but interested to know how to protect the socket afterwards? Wouldn’t some like boeshield effect the inside of the socket?

1 month later
    #163 1 year ago

It's $88 AUD for 5 litres here.

#164 1 year ago

If there is still anyone on the fence about this stuff, don't be. This is one of my top 5 favorite things I use. I've even bought a gallon for my dad (who likes to fix old tools) and mother-in-law (who restores old sewing machines).

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from comment23:

If there is still anyone on the fence about this stuff, don't be. This is one of my top 5 favorite things I use. I've even bought a gallon for my dad (who likes to fix old tools) and mother-in-law (who restores old sewing machines).

THIS!!! I am using some as we speak on a Bally chime unit, lockdown bar assembly, and brackets. Evap is my go to next to Muriatic Acid.

#166 1 year ago

Thanks for the heads up! Note: $13/gallon is actually $13.99/gallon --> $14/gallon. Or, $14.97/gallon after tax. So, $15/gallon. Still a good price, and I was due for a fresh gallon anyway.

#167 1 year ago
    Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Thanks for the heads up! Note: $13/gallon is actually $13.99/gallon --> $14/gallon. Or, $14.97/gallon after tax. So, $15/gallon. Still a good price, and I was due for a fresh gallon anyway.

Don't spill any, or you will be looking at $16 a gallon

#168 1 year ago

I was a skeptic at first but I've used Evapo rust twice now for rusted legs and it works so well. No more scrubbing, sanding or grinding...submerged these legs for 24 hours in my 4" pvc pipe.
    Before and after.

20171218_205455 (resized).jpg

20171219_072613 (resized).jpg

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from sagejr:

I was a skeptic at first but I've used Evapo rust twice now for rusted legs and it works so well. No more scrubbing, sanding or grinding...submerged these legs for 24 hours in my 4" pvc pipe.
    Before and after.

I think you mean after and before

#170 1 year ago

It doesn’t seem to work very well on the levelers, at least in my experience - anybody know why?

I had a pair of legs that the levelers were rusted on so tight and I did not remove them before dipping them in Evaporust.. never got ‘em off so those legs are just sitting. The legs looks great but levelers look chewed up like hell. I tried PB Blaster and everything.

#171 1 year ago

Leg levelers typically frequently get wet from people mopping the floor. They also get covered in floor wax (on route locations). I have found that levelers which are rusted stuck in the leg threads, leave the legs soak for two weeks in the Evapo-Rust. That generally gets the rust in the threads disolved enough to get the old levelers out.

For the cost of new levelers, it's better just to throw the old ones away and install new ones after removing the legs from the Evapo-Rust.

#172 1 year ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

I think you mean after and before

Right, the pictures were in the correct order before I sent the post but then re-ordered. Pinside always seems to get the pictures backward.

Quoted from KenLayton:

Leg levelers typically frequently get wet from people mopping the floor. They also get covered in floor wax (on route locations). I have found that levelers which are rusted stuck in the leg threads, leave the legs soak for two weeks in the Evapo-Rust. That generally gets the rust in the threads disolved enough to get the old levelers out.
    For the cost of new levelers, it's better just to throw the old ones away and install new ones after removing the legs from the Evapo-Rust.

True, I never bother with the old levelers. These will be removed and replaced with new ones.

Evapo Rust is good stuff....I bought 2 gallons on sale at pep boys for 13.99 each. Re-usable too. I just use a coffee filter to strain out the particles and pour it back into the original containers when I'm done.

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomds:

I’m tackling the same issue right now. I’ve got some evapo-rust coming, but interested to know how to protect the socket afterwards? Wouldn’t some like boeshield effect the inside of the socket?

Hey, sorry, I didn't catch your reply until now, but I can tell you that I submerged all the backglass lamps and wire braid as well as all the playfield GI sockets, let them dry, doused them all with Boeshield and all work fine (got the game up and running back in July).

I actually went one step further; once the Boeshield was dry, I put old bulbs in the sockets and shot everything with clearcoat for added protection. This was my process for all metal parts under the playfield and they really cleaned up beautifully.

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I agree - my problem was a frozen set of levelers which even for a genuine month in evaporust, were not movable. I wasn’t trying to save the levelers, but indeed the legs which are useless if you can’t adjust due to frozen levelers. Interesting all the abuse they get!

1 week later
    #175 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I agree - my problem was a frozen set of levelers which even for a genuine month in evaporust, were not movable. I wasn’t trying to save the levelers, but indeed the legs which are useless if you can’t adjust due to frozen levelers. Interesting all the abuse they get!

Heat from a torch on the threads will work

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Damn! I did not try that. Thanks!

1 week later
    #177 1 year ago

Has anyone used these on the old Williams legs that were gold/brass coloured? I just got an IJ and would prefer to spend the rehab budget fixing the cab. Will the legs clean up or will evaporust kill the gold color too? I guess this goes for the wire forms as well

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Just did this on a set of frozen levelers on my Harlem Globetrotters; it worked great. I just used a little MAP gas torch, but propane probably would have worked.

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone used these on the old Williams legs that were gold/brass coloured? I just got an IJ and would prefer to spend the rehab budget fixing the cab. Will the legs clean up or will evaporust kill the gold color too? I guess this goes for the wire forms as well

Some of the product videos show it not affecting decals and paint. I don't know if I'd be the first to try it though.

#180 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Some of the product videos show it not affecting decals and paint. I don't know if I'd be the first to try it though.

Has no effect on paint that I could tell.

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I used it on a gold set of legs for WCS 94 and they came out just fine. Ended up being a waste of time though because I got the legs plated a week later lol

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

I used it on a gold set of legs for WCS 94 and they came out just fine. Ended up being a waste of time though because I got the legs plated a week later lol

LOL. Well I'm going to try it - we'll see what I end up with! I can always put one in the back if it gets jacked up

#183 1 year ago

just did my 3rd set of standard chrome legs and I'm still amazed at how well this stuff works.

6 months later
    #184 8 months ago

So - Any concerns with saftey and Evaporust? I put my legs in my 4" tube with some heavy wire (any better ideas? seems better than reaching into the soup to pull them out) so I can pull them in and out easily, but what about the inevitable drips you leave behind? Just asking as I have two young kids and my work area is the garage, so I'm always extra cautious in areas they may be in and around.

Also - Any recommendations for the 'basket' you can drop smaller parts in? I was thinking I could make something up with some mesh wire, but figured I'd ask here if there's something easier or able to be purchased without kludgy creation.

#185 8 months ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

So - Any concerns with saftey and Evaporust? I put my legs in my 4" tube with some heavy wire (any better ideas? seems better than reaching into the soup to pull them out) so I can pull them in and out easily, but what about the inevitable drips you leave behind? Just asking as I have two young kids and my work area is the garage, so I'm always extra cautious in areas they may be in and around.
    Also - Any recommendations for the 'basket' you can drop smaller parts in? I was thinking I could make something up with some mesh wire, but figured I'd ask here if there's something easier or able to be purchased without kludgy creation.

I just use a pyrex glass flat pan with lid for small stuff I bought at Target for like $10. Then I can keep it from evaporating, and it's easy clean out.

#186 8 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

a pyrex glass flat pan

I like that idea - but I was hoping to buy/construct something I could easily lower into my legs tube. I'm always tinkering my machines, but I'm not always doing a full blown resto (depends on what I get in, state of the machine, etc etc) so I'd hate to have a 2nd container just sitting around. If I could double my usage out of the legs tube by lowering something into it - that would be ideal.

#188 8 months ago

I like that idea - but I was hoping to buy/construct something I could easily lower into my legs tube. I'm always tinkering my machines, but I'm not always doing a full blown resto (depends on what I get in, state of the machine, etc etc) so I'd hate to have a 2nd container just sitting around. If I could double my usage out of the legs tube by lowering something into it - that would be ideal.

Unless you find a tube with small mesh... you're gonna be stuck. You might just try making something out of a roll of mesh material and molding into a deep tube that is open on one end.

I use the evoprust on more hardware and brackets than legs. Legs are easy enough to just buy and walk away... the brackets, hardware, wires, etc etc are a much more tangled mess of sourcing.. so I find it more practical to rust remove and tumble stuff in that category.

#189 8 months ago

Want cheap? Drill small holes in an old plastic peanut butter jar with a lid and lower it into your tube with a wire handle/retriever.

#190 8 months ago

27 hours in the drink. Too easy.

IMG_20180717_125921775 (resized).jpgIMG_20180718_170134244_HDR (resized).jpg
    #191 8 months ago

I use a small mesh stuff sack for small parts and lower into the tube, affixed to a stiff wire for retrieval. I like flynnibus' idea for bigger things though.

#192 8 months ago

Hey jeffc....that tube I'm using look familiar?

2 months later
    #193 5 months ago

picked up two gallons this week at Pep Boys, reg price there is 19.99 a gallon, using a 25% off first time on-line purchase (on entire purchase) dropped it down to 14.99 per gallon
    able to purchase on-line and pick up in store avoiding a shipping charge so my out the door total with tax was around 32.68 which is a hella good deal on this awesome shit

3 weeks later
    #194 5 months ago

Any suggestions on temperature? I had an old fish tank setup so I have a small pump circulating the water and a little heater currently set to about 150 degrees, figured it would speed up the process.

Any suggestions, might that be too hot?

As for buffing, I was just using steel wool, what’s a better option?

2 months later
    #195 62 days ago

Love this stuff! About 3 hours in the tank and a lite scrub with steel wool. Good to go. Top was same as coin door

20190121_162536 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #196 54 days ago

ALL HAIL - EVAPORUST IS THA' TROOTH!

20190123_234308 (resized).jpg20190129_182053 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #197 35 days ago

What to do with these sad legs with paint on top of rust? I'm eager to join the cult, but what other miracle product should I use to remove the paint first? A stiff wire brush has been ok but labor intensive.

IMG-4510 (resized).JPG
    #198 35 days ago
    Quoted from sandman74:

What to do with these sad legs with paint on top of rust? I'm eager to join the cult, but what other miracle product should I use to remove the paint first? A stiff wire brush has been ok but labor intensive.
    [quoted image]

Jasco paint stripper
    jasco (resized).jpeg

#199 35 days ago

ALL HAIL - EVAPORUST IS THA' TROOTH!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Far Out, man! Evaporust is Out of Sight!

(see what i did there?)

#200 35 days ago

Just use rubber gloves, eye protection, & proper ventilation when using the stuff. I use it for stripping cabinets - works great & no worries about sanding that lead based paint.
    Brush it on, let it sit for a while, & use course steel wool to remove paint, then rinse with water & Evaporust away.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 134.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 6.95
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 250.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside