4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 200 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 62 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jasco (resized).jpeg
    IMG-4510 (resized).JPG
    20190129_182053 (resized).jpg
    20190123_234308 (resized).jpg
    20190121_162536 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180718_170134244_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180717_125921775 (resized).jpg
    20171219_072613 (resized).jpg
    20171218_205455 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7121 (resized).JPG
    2017-03-03 17.18.16 (resized).jpg
    TOM_170128 - 2 (resized).png
    IMG_9673 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8305 (resized).JPG
    2016_TOM_160115b - 3 (resized).png
    2016_TOM_160115a - 7 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Definitely release the gas pressure from the pvc pipe each night. I let mine sit over the weekend because I was busy. When I went to pick up the pipe, the bottom cap popped right off. I lost a gallon all over the garage.

Improper glue job on the bottom cap. No way that should have come off with that little pressure.

#52 3 years ago

I use it for one of my other hobbies. Restoring minibikes. Usually the steel gas tanks have some rust on the inside. Evaporust works pretty-good cleaning them up. I usually fill the tank with Evaporust and then pour a few hundred Daisy BBs in and seal it. Let it sit a while and then shake it up. The BBs help knock the rust off the inside so the Evaporust can get at it faster. I do that several times over about a day's time and when I empty the tank it looks a lot better - sometimes like new depending on how bad it was.

Next I have a set of bucket seat brackets from a 1966 Pontiac Grand Prix I am going to de-rust with it.

The cheapest place I've ever purchased it at was a Harbor Freight store in St. Louis but I haven't noticed it at any in a while. Could be because I wasn't looking for it or maybe they don't carry it at every store.

#53 3 years ago

This weekend is 25% off at Harbor Freight, so it will only be ~$20

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Improper glue job on the bottom cap. No way that should have come off with that little pressure.

I use the rubber plumbing caps on both ends of the tube. The tube will stand on its end (propped in a safe place), can be removed to clean out residue/gunk after many uses, and cushions metal parts if they are accidently dropped while loading, etc.

As for the comments about why bother to clean legs, when new can be purchased at a reasonable price? Look at the finish on original legs (esp. from the EM era). Modern plating is not done to the same quality standards for shine/finish and thickness. I prefer original if they will clean up. Evapo-rust rules. Now if there were an "ollies" nearby.....

Thanks for the heads up Vid on the HF sale.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

As for the comments about why bother to clean legs, when new can be purchased at a reasonable price? Look at the finish on original legs (esp. from the EM era). Modern plating is not done to the same quality standards for shine/finish and thickness.

My main focus is on Bally SS machines and the reproduction legs are better than nothing but aren't the same as originals.

That's why I only use originals. I recently purchased 28 of them from a lady in California and had them shipped here. I blasted a set, repainted them and put them on an EBD I just sold last month. When you try to use repop legs on an unrestored cabinet you can see where the originals were mounted because the repops don't quite match.

#56 3 years ago

I used a Rustoleum brand version of this stuff and it works great. Highly recommended. Makes old rusty legs nice again. Little work involved.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

It wasn't glued on. I have two rubber caps held on by ring clamp. Release the pressure and you will be fine. Or don't.

#58 3 years ago

I'm thinking about using some sort of heat wrap on my PVC tube for Evaporust, as it's cold out in my garage this time of year.
    Has anyone done this, & what type did you use?

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I'm thinking about using some sort of heat wrap on my PVC tube for Evaporust, as it's cold out in my garage this time of year.
    Has anyone done this, & what type did you use?

Say, that's a pretty good idea. Some of that electric pipe warming tape/wrap would probably work very well in cold environments.

#60 3 years ago

Wouldn't it be a bit easier to just take them in the house?

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Wouldn't it be a bit easier to just take them in the house?

Yeah, but my wife would have a fit.

I think something like this - http://www.homebrewing.org/Carboy-Heater_p_1732.html - might just be the ticket.

#62 3 years ago

Any pet shop has reptile heating pads for $15

8650_(resized).jpg

1 month later
    #63 3 years ago

A little feedback FWIW, I have been using Liquid Lightning for years with great results but tried the evaporust for the last few months and have concluded the I'm going back to L.L, just does a better job, quicker, better results on the metal. My 2 cents .....

#64 3 years ago

Liquid Lightning? Isn't that a caustic acid drain & sewer cleaner?

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Liquid Lightning? Isn't that a caustic acid drain & sewer cleaner?

Looks like it's sulfuric acid...

#66 3 years ago

http://lightningstrip.us/rust.htm

Here's a link, been using it for years and after using evaporust for a few months on various metal parts I can definitely say I like the lightning rust remover MUCH better.

#67 3 years ago

I've used lightning and evapo. Lightning is very quick (1 hr), but caustic. I prefer Evapo (24 hrs) because I don't need eye protection and gloves, I don't feel like I'm on the clock to remove parts from the bath and safer with kids around. Both seem to work the same, aside from the time needed.

#68 3 years ago

I'm getting ready to try Evaporust today. Have my PVC tubing and all. I will see how good it works

#69 3 years ago

make sure it's warm enough where you are. above 65f is optimum. Otherwise it takes forever. I just bring it inside when I use it

#70 3 years ago

0000 steel wool and a little elbow grease does the same thing.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I used to agree with this post until I tried it. If you have ever gotten into a restore and discover that the lockdown bar or receiver were rusted or any other piece that is welded and has seams or crevices, you soon realize that a dremel or wire wheel just can get certain places. After basically giving myself arthritis from hand rubbing tons of metal. Just dunk this into a container of stuff and walk away. Save your fingers, wrists and elbows for waxing and polishing playfields. Afterwords you can wash and paint, or powdercoat, or chrome, or just metal polished to keep the rust free shine.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Steel wool leaves fine scratches behind. If you want a mirror finish, steel wool doesn't work too well unless you also buff afterwards. But then if it's a plated part, all you're doing is thinning the material more than necessary.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

You don't want to breathe all those toxic metals while scrubbing that stuff....

#74 3 years ago

I don't use chemicals when I use steel wool.Just a small amount of oil.Works for me.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I don't use chemicals when I use steel wool.Just a small amount of oil.Works for me.

There are too many downsides to use steel wool as the primary rust removal method.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Have you seen the price of elbow grease recently?

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Have you seen the price of elbow grease recently?

Hell, it's almost as bad a blinker fluid!

1 month later
    #78 3 years ago

My local Canadian Tire didn't have any Evaporust so I picked up Metal Rescue Rust Remover Bath (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/metal-rescue-rust-remover-bath-3-78-liters-0477920p.html#.Vug9QeIrJaR).
    I had great prior experiences with EvapoRust, but wasn't quite happy with the Metal Rescue. I'll post some pictures later, but basically I dipped a lockdown bar receiver which was really badly rusted. I had a little part of it sticking out of the liquid for a couple hours (I hadn't noticed the container had shifted) and after that I reset it properly.
    It did an alright job of removing the rust over 24H (although I have a feeling EvapoRust would have done better), but I have a clear line that remained where the bar was sticking out. It looks like it kind of attacked the metal a bit too.

I had used EvapoRust to dip portions of large metal parts before and was amazed at how it left everything but the rust intact and I never wouldn't notice anything going on at the liquid-air transition.

Has anybody used the Metal Rescue here?

As I was writing this I had this video running of a guy in Australia who compares both these products on similar samples, with the Rust Bucket product as well.

After 1 hour, the Metal Rescue has virtually no results, EvapoRust does pretty good, and Rust Bucket does even better than that and is the cheapest of the three.

4 days later, the Metal Rescue has crazy flash rusting, none for the other guys. I did get some flash rusting from the Metal Rescue as well.

Again, sorry for updating as I watch, but it seems that the guy is a distributor for the Rust Bucket, so it should be pointed out. Looks pretty legit anyway.

#80 3 years ago

I've used Evaporust in the past for legs and feet, very happy.

Saw this on Facebook the other day, blew my mind. Any able to attempt laser rust removal for pinball to date?

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

My local Canadian Tire didn't have any Evaporust

You can get it at Princess Auto in giant 6L containers.

#82 3 years ago

You know how much of a hassle it is to buy anything when you're in Canada as opposed to the US? Well it's that much more of a hassle to buy anything in Quebec as opposed to the rest of Canada.
    We have no Princess Auto.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rando:

I've used Evaporust in the past for legs and feet, very happy.
    Saw this on Facebook the other day, blew my mind. Any able to attempt laser rust removal for pinball to date?
    » YouTube video

My boss got a quote for one of these $200k-400k lol

#84 3 years ago

Will be joining the cult shortly;https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superstorm-sandy-fathom-lucky-or-stupid#post-3035861

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Will be joining the cult shortly;https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superstorm-sandy-fathom-lucky-or-stupid#post-3035861

Oh I'll definitely be watching this resto!!! This will really put Evaporust to the test. Did you really pay $1,000 for it??

1 month later
    #87 3 years ago

Gonna try this out for the first time on a lockdown receiver as well as some assorted hardware instead of ultrasonic-ing.

Couple questions:

1) for stuff that would fit in my ultrasonic (say, a ball gate) is the evaporust effect better/worse/different? I plan on tumbling the small stuff afterwards so I'm really looking to get them clean to help along the tumbling.

2) thinking of using a lucite plastic tub since I have big enough ones on hand and they have lids. Is the main benefit of using pipe that it's more efficient use of the liquid for long skinny things?

#88 3 years ago

The main advantage of the tube is that it is very useful for long skinny stuff like legs, habitrail ramps, lockdown bars, lockdown bar receivers (if you've got at least a 4" diameter tube to do it in). You can use any old container to put the Evapo-Rust in and you don't have to use a lid. It's just that the Evapo-Rust is so expensive and it does evaporate if not covered. Plus if you have a snap on lid, you don't have to worry about leaks or spills.

I have never tried Evapo-Rust in ultrasonic cleaners.

#89 3 years ago

Thanks - I'm not planning on using evaporust in the ultrasonic, I was wondering about soaking in evaporust (in whatever container) VS ultrasonic cleaning with typical stuff (simple green/dishsoap/water)

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Thanks - I'm not planning on using evaporust in the ultrasonic, I was wondering about soaking in evaporust (in whatever container) VS ultrasonic cleaning with typical stuff (simple green/dishsoap/water)

The ultrasonic takes care of dirt/grime, especially in small crevices. It does nothing for rust.

Evaporust chemically attacks the rust and removes it.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

The main advantage of the tube is that it is very useful for long skinny stuff like legs, habitrail ramps, lockdown bars, lockdown bar receivers (if you've got at least a 4" diameter tube to do it in).

I didn't have any tubes like that to soak in, so instead I went down to the hardware store and picked up 10ft of plastic eavestrough and a couple of ends for around 10 bucks. Cut a length of it to match the legs, sealed the ends up with some silicone and it made the perfect soaking vessel.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from CentiZen:

I didn't have any tubes like that to soak in, so instead I went down to the hardware store and picked up 10ft of plastic eavestrough and a couple of ends for around 10 bucks. Cut a length of it to match the legs, sealed the ends up with some silicone and it made the perfect soaking vessel.

I used PVC and put a cap on the end with PVC cement. The next time I needed to use it, I was going to put in a small pipe and valve to drain it easier, since pouring everything out of a 5' length of pipe gets a bit messy.

#94 3 years ago

Ultrasonic cleaners get dirt out of tiny places, they do not polish anything.

Evaporust chemically removes rust, it does not polish anything.

A tumbler or a wheel station puts a polish on metals.

#95 3 years ago

Thanks Vid. So if I have a lockdown receiver with 25 years of caked on dirt or who knows what but no evident rust I'm better off soaking in simple green than evaporust, it sounds like.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Thanks Vid. So if I have a lockdown receiver with 25 years of caked on dirt or who knows what but no evident rust I'm better off soaking in simple green than evaporust, it sounds like.

Peel off the foam "beer seal".

Clean off any adhesive with solvent.

Scrape off any wasp nests or large crud.

Soak in hot water/SimpleGreen, and scrub with a nylon brush.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-beer-seal-vids-guide

#97 3 years ago

I've been thinking about Evapo-Rust for a while now. It looks like its a "chelation" agent. Which means that whatever organic compound is in the stuff creates a bond on the rust molecules so that it can dissolve into solution. That's why after a while the stuff turns dark and you have to throw it out.

In my organic chem class in college, I remember my chemistry professor telling us that this stuff called "Bar Keepers Friend" has a chelation compound in it called "Oxalic Acid." Anyway, if you mix a good hearty amount of oxalic acid into a solution with water, I'm betting the stuff will work as well as Evapo-Rust. Hell, Evapo-Rust might just be a premixed solution of the stuff.

Edit: It will work. Plus it's cheap. Looks like you can buy it as "Wood Bleach" at certain stores too. Much cheaper than Evapo-rust. Amazon sells it here: amazon.com link »

And here's a video of someone using it on chrome:

#98 3 years ago

This was probably the most rusted set of legs I have done so far. . .

IMG_5061_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5062_(resized).JPG

After 24 hrs in the Evapo-Tube:

IMG_5149_(resized).JPG

The insides were much better, but still lots of blackened areas. . .

IMG_5150_(resized).JPG

So I spray painted the insides with chrome spray paint:

IMG_5168_(resized).JPG

#99 3 years ago

Wow, those legs really cleaned up nice!

#100 3 years ago

A gallon is currently $15 at Amazon. Good deal?

amazon.com link »

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 35.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside