• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1126.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased my first pinball machine. A Gottlieb Cue Ball Wizard. All of the parts are there, but I have been having a few issues. Let me start here with the first one:

When releasing the plunger the ball passes the first optical sensor which then triggers the ball shooter to send the eight ball toward the spot target assembly which contains targets in yellow blue and red. When the 8 ball hits the blue targets it is supposed to award 5 million points, but for some reason the game is awarding 5 million points no matter what color target is hit.

Any help you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure how to tackle this one.

Happy Holidays!

IMG_1126.jpgIMG_1126.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I would take the glass off and manually check each switch to make sure you're getting false switch hits.

#3 8 years ago

BRI,

First of all thank you very much for your response and willingness to donate your time to help me out. People like you make this forum great, and I hope to learn enough on here to eventually pay it forward.

I took the glass off and tested each of the switches by launching the ball and then depressing two targets at a time. When I did this the game worked properly. I then went back to shooting with the eight ball and had the same problem as mentioned previously with the machine always scoring 5 million points no matter what color target was hit. My conclusion was that the gap in the switch must be so small for the blue 5 million point targets that the vibration from the 8 ball impact causes the switch to close resulting in a false switch hit as you mentioned. I noticed that the blue target had the smallest gap, so I placed a piece of paper in between the blue switch and launched the 8 ball again. This time when hitting none of the blue targets the 5 million points was not awarded, which is the correct way the game should play.

My follow up question now is what is the best way to increase the gap on a switch. Is there a special tool or good practice for doing this?

#4 8 years ago

Those are all smart switches and you are not supposed to have to adjust or clean smart switches. I'm guessing that the blue targets have gotten compressed/bent inwards over the years of taking a beating. The warning on smart switches state "Do Not Adjust Wide Beam" which I believe is the side of the switch with the PCB but I may be wrong. I would try to gently bend away the side opposite of the PCB and see what happens but be careful as you can obviously damage them. Maybe someone else can chime in on how to safely adjust smart switches. Best of luck!

#5 8 years ago

I was able to adjust the smart switch by bending it slightly and for a time it appears to fix the problem. I was also able to narrow it down to one switch specifically, so I will purchase one of these next time I put my order in at pinball resource. The part can be found on this page: http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm . P/N: GTB-29432B for the blue version.

3 months later
#6 8 years ago

Hello CBW,

Congrats on your game and finding a problem and finding a solution. Ha, it seems these machines are always in a state of decay- and new things are always popping up, but it is fun and rewarding to get things working again. i saw you were looking for a cue stick. Any luck?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cue-ball-wizard-spot-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.