Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0831181713a (resized).jpg
cbwflyer2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180825_170602 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180825_170545 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

This is sort of a catch-all post addressing several issues and questions I have regarding my Cue Ball Wizard. This was my first machine ever and, having only had it for about 6 months, I’m a relative newbie at this whole thing.

1- My understanding of the rule set as well as my play of the Pinball Arcade version of this game indicates that a Wagon Wheel round should be lit (requiring a ramp shot to begin) any time I make a ramp shot, so long as no other Wagon Wheel round is active. This is not how my game works in that ramp shots do not light the Wagon Wheel light for the ramp, rather the game requires a corner-pocket shot or random bank shot award in order to light the ramp for Wagon Wheel round. I have exhaustively gone over the setting and performed a system-defaults reset in an attempt to make the game play in the manner I think it’s supposed to. Any ideas?

2 - The Cue Ball resting position on the fence is off-center-left (see images). This off-center position makes any horseshoe shots from the left side nearly impossible. A review of the flyer shows what appears to be a similar offset position however the Pinball Arcade version shows it centered. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this.

3 - The system sometimes (rarely) feeds two ball to the plunger, but not at the same time. It will often happen after the first ball has initially been put in play. It’s not multiball as multiball is not flashing nor has been called out and the system shuts down the flippers and indicates end-of-ball when the first of the two balls drains. It began doing this after I competed some work under the playfield related to the Side Pocket center white targets.

4 - Where can I find the serial number and date of manufacture? I know where Williams puts their stickers but, since this is my only Gottlieb, I’m not sure where to look. A fairly exhaustive search has not reveled any obvious tags or stickers so I suspect they’re missing.

Thanks for any and all help!

Yak

IMG_20180825_170545 (resized).jpgIMG_20180825_170545 (resized).jpgIMG_20180825_170602 (resized).jpgIMG_20180825_170602 (resized).jpgcbwflyer2 (resized).jpgcbwflyer2 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

1. Hitting a ramp shot does absolutely nothing except return the ball to the left flipper unless video mode or wagon wheel is lit BEFORE the shot.
2. My cue ball resting position is close to yours, bit slightly up on the y axis (see pic). You must hit the cue ball out of the way first to make the horseshoe shot, that is the games design.
3. The game should never feed two balls simultaneously to the shooter lane. Thoroughly check your switches, especially trough and shooter lane.,,check game is accurately level. A glitch in a switch or off level may cause this problem.
4. Serial numbers are inconsistently placed on this game. Review pics on IPSND.com You will find them in more than one location.

0831181713a (resized).jpg0831181713a (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago

Good discussion, thanks for the reply.

With regards to the ramp lighting Wagon Wheel rounds, here's a quote from pinball.org/rules/cueballwizard.html "The ramp has to be hit once to light it for the wagon wheel award. This means after you initially plunge the ball, the ramp will be lit for the first wagon wheel award." This is exactly how the Pinball Arcade versions behaves as well.

Your description of the ramp doing nothing jibes with what I observe in my machine. Is there is an alternative/updated ROM with a different ruleset?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Yakrobat:

Good discussion, thanks for the reply.
With regards to the ramp lighting Wagon Wheel rounds, here's a quote from pinball.org/rules/cueballwizard.html "The ramp has to be hit once to light it for the wagon wheel award. This means after you initially plunge the ball, the ramp will be lit for the first wagon wheel award." This is exactly how the Pinball Arcade versions behaves as well.
Your description of the ramp doing nothing jibes with what I observe in my machine. Is there is an alternative/updated ROM with a different ruleset?

Getting corner pocket first is a setting in there somewhere. I've had mine set both ways but I couldn't tell you for sure how I got between them. Does flipping the "tournament mode" switch on your machine make a difference?

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my replacement LED display boards for model S and model H Skee Ball

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Getting corner pocket first is a setting in there somewhere.

I figured it out. With 3-ball, a ramp shot lights the Wagon Wheel and with 5-ball it does not.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Yakrobat:

I figured it out. With 3-ball, a ramp shot lights the Wagon Wheel and with 5-ball it does not.

Ah, I have it set to traditional 5 ball

#7 5 years ago

My ball is centered factory style where there is enough room to sneak a shot on either side of the horseshoe, so yours should be too.

Disagree with hitting it out of the way, you should be able to make it without- however, you do need to hit it out of the way to hit the white standups, one of the modes those are worth 30 million a hit.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

My ball is centered factory style

Just to clarify, is your cue ball horizontally centered on the "Spell Wizard" insert?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The game should never feed two balls simultaneously to the shooter lane. Thoroughly check your switches, especially trough and shooter lane.,,check game is accurately level. A glitch in a switch or off level may cause this problem.

This is likely due to a bad trough switch. There are two if I remember correctly. This will be the second one that registers the ball after it has been sent to the trough from the out hole. Here is a video of normal operation. I have had lots of issues with this before and just replaced the switch. If the switch flutters at all it will easily confuse the CPU and cause this issue.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

My ball is centered factory style where there is enough room to sneak a shot on either side of the horseshoe, so yours should be too.
Disagree with hitting it out of the way, you should be able to make it without- however, you do need to hit it out of the way to hit the white standups, one of the modes those are worth 30 million a hit.

Yes, horseshoe can be hit on mine from either flipper, but it's tight. This is a very important shot for modes like "horseshoe extra ball" and a convenient way to pick up 10 Mil immediately after you launch a ball and it is delivered to the left flipper. I've also gotten to where I can hit the white standup in "no way round" from the left flipper by rebounding off the right sling near the top (limits trajectory impact from them kick) without moving the cue ball first.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my replacement LED display boards for model S and model H Skee Ball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cue-ball-wizard-issues-and-questions?hl=yakrobat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.