Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PoMC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1205181532~01 (resized).jpg
    1205181529a~01 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I have a Cue Ball Wizard by Gottlieb Premier 1992, that blows skill shot fuse F27 2a sb on 3rd ball with 2 ball multiball that happens every 3rd ball. Ive replaced driver chips, filter board parts, opto sensor board and both optos, and finally upgraded to a new driver board made by Rottendog Amusements. I've researched on line and have seen forum report of a software issue that I'm not sure was ever resolved. I can't find a software version on the machine setup and the roms only have 734 and rom type marked on them. I'm in need of experienced wizard.....

#2 6 years ago

I've never had that problem myself, but have heard someone had a perfectly playing machine for a long time, and then this error cropped up with nothing changed on the machine. Doesn't sound like a software problem, and I havn't found anything to confirm there is even more than one version of CBW software.

The only other thing I found online was this:

Quoted from RampShot11:

I had the same issue when I first got my CBW, the 8 ball shooter coil (coil # 19300) started smoking and melted to the shooter assembly. It turned out the Driver board transistor was fried.
    I think it was Q10 if I remember correctly. Try to find Q10 on the driver board and see if it is fried. Anyhow, I ended driving up to Steve Young at PB Resource and purchased a new driver board for about 90 bux. So far so good with blowing a fuse once in 3 months.

#3 6 years ago

Inspect your grounds in the bottom of the cabinet. These can cause bizarre problems such as this. Much info available on line with illustrations.

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/#gnd

#4 6 years ago

thanks wayout440 , I have experienced q10 cooking on the older board and had a number of
    Buzz 72's I replaced but without luck. so I went to the new driver board with heavier duty transistors.

thanks paragon66x , Ill check out and beef up the grounds, something I haven't tried.

#5 6 years ago

Good luck, let us know when you solve it.

9 months later
    #6 5 years ago

Hi, have you or anybody confirmed if this may be a software issue? I have the same exact issue going on. I have also taken the same steps as above. thanks for your time and any help.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from shadyj7:

Hi, have you or anybody confirmed if this may be a software issue? I have the same exact issue going on. I have also taken the same steps as above. thanks for your time and any help.

Doubtful, as there is only one version of software for CBW. The stock MosFETs Used should be beefed up to more robust types.
    See:
    Replacement MosFETs for Gottlieb System3 Driver Boards.
    http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/

#8 5 years ago

Wayout440 Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I have tried all of these steps. It is strange that it blows the fuse only on 3rd ball as stated above. But I have found from using a larger fuse that what is happening seems to be that the coil is locked on after engaged one time After ball 3 your shot

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from shadyj7:

Wayout440 Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I have tried all of these steps. It is strange that it blows the fuse only on 3rd ball as stated above. But I have found from using a larger fuse that what is happening seems to be that the coil is locked on after engaged one time After ball 3 your shot

Bizarre. I'm not even sure what the next step should be. Please PM me, I will look at my ROMs when I am home later and see what is marked on them. I'll help you dig into this as best I can.

#10 5 years ago

ROM label and checksum from fully functioning game posted below

1205181529a~01 (resized).jpg1205181529a~01 (resized).jpg1205181532~01 (resized).jpg1205181532~01 (resized).jpg
    #11 5 years ago

Hey thanks. I will compare the check sum in the morning. Thanks again!

#12 5 years ago

It was the same version and check sum. Thanks for helping me rule that theory out.

#13 5 years ago

I'd say to do the ground mods. I've read that the opto board signal can double bounce or stick, and the software wasn't written to compensate that. You've already replaced the opto board - but the output from it needs to be spot on. If you are getting noisy grounds to the comparator on the opto board that might be responsible for a double bounce or sticking switch signal. The ground mods should be done anyway as a host of reliability issues can be solved by them - and this could be one of those.

11 months later
    #14 4 years ago

Did you ever figure out what would resolve this issue? I am having the exact same problem with mine.

10 months later
    #15 3 years ago

Just fixed this same problem. The reason it happens on ball 3, is that the multiball starts. Check those 2 upper smart switches- I found one was always closed, causing the fuse to blow (these 2 targets cause the shooter to go off during multiball).

1 year later
    #16 2 years ago

Fixed this same fuse blowing issue on mine. Culprit was the right, green, sidepocket target switch was bent back and closed. Adjusted that target switch and no more blown fuses during ball 3 MB.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Fixed this same fuse blowing issue on mine. Culprit was the right, green, sidepocket target switch was bent back and closed. Adjusted that target switch and no more blown fuses during ball 3 MB.

Correction. The Gottlieb Smart Target switch itself is bad and was causing the F27 fuse to blow. Replacement switch is on the way, but as a quick fix to continue playing, just unplug the switch connector under the playfield.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cue-ball-wizard-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.