• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 61 days ago by Sonora70
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MpB85cHaQBe9WQInpYD1Ng (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonora70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

This is my first System 3 project. When I turn the game on I get a bunch of garbage on the display. The game goes no further. My boards are all blinking except A8, the display controller. (The MPU board is blinking quickly and not on a constant tempo. Is that normal?) A8 is just a solid light.

I've read the repair guides and I have tested all the HV portion (and replaced parts)of A8 and I've also installed a new U8GAL chip. Still no change.

I have no clue where to begin. I'd order a new display control board but I don't want to just throw money at something unless I know thats the problem. Thanks for any advice.

MpB85cHaQBe9WQInpYD1Ng (resized).jpgMpB85cHaQBe9WQInpYD1Ng (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Another update: When I unplug all the ribbons from the display controller board and the ribbon cable off of the cpu, the cpu still has the same "flickering" instead of a constant flash.

#3 3 years ago

A bit more info. I read a post that discussed checking the watch dog circuit by probing pin 40 of U1. While in that process when I touched pin 40 or maybe shorted pin 40 and 39 the game beeped and went into attract mode. The CPU now has a steady flash rather than a flicker. The light on the display control board is still solid.

Thoughts? Does this indicate the watch dog circuit is bad or U1 is bad? I assume I'm having problems with both my CPU and my control board with this happening?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I've seen this issue. What happens is the 5v power supply deteriorates and the watchdog circuit gets stuck in a reset loop. Try burning or buying the latest CPU ROM. Gottlieb adjusted the tolerances for the timing of the reset to allow more time for the 5v supply to kick in on power up.

Good info. Thanks. Dumb question(s), is this power supply fixable? Where does it originate? I’m assuming this will still have no impact on the display control board?

#7 3 years ago

It is. I measured the voltage and I’m getting a steady 5.1v. I also adjusted it sound to see if it would make a difference. I got no change

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I've seen this issue. What happens is the 5v power supply deteriorates and the watchdog circuit gets stuck in a reset loop. Try burning or buying the latest CPU ROM. Gottlieb adjusted the tolerances for the timing of the reset to allow more time for the 5v supply to kick in on power up.

trying to get a new rom. I've also ordered new capacitors for C20 and C21. Not sure how to proceed with the display control board. Since they need each other to boot the game I'm not sure what to do. How will I know if my mpu is working correctly if my display controller isn't and vice versa?

3 years later
#10 61 days ago
Quoted from Brodes7:

Hi Sonora70
How did you go with this issue
I have a Wizard with same problem
Cheers Brodes

Board was sent to Chris Hibler for repair.......like new now!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonora70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cue-ball-wizard-display-issue?tu=Sonora70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.