Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

magnetized-balls.jpg
1442274565893913030818.jpg
20150908_214538.jpg
Trough-jam.jpg
IMG_7094.jpg
IMG_7090.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

My CSI has been dogged by a very intermittent trough issue since I bought it, and I finally figured out the problem (but not the solution). Sometimes when I lock a ball in the Skull, the 3 balls still in the trough get into this configuration:

IMG_7090.JPGIMG_7090.JPG

When this happens, trough switches #2 and #3 don't register - because the balls are just beyond the physical switches. Ball 1 registers at the "Trough Jam" switch, but apparently the software doesn't act on this. The game does 2 ball searches, goes to "end of ball", and only then pops ball #1 into the plunger lane. This makes it unfit for league play, of course.

I caught the game "in the act" today when this happened - as soon as it went into a ball search following the skull lock, I opened the coin door and went into switch diags. Only the "Trough Jam" switch was registering.

Since this is a mechanical problem, I assume there can only be a mechanical solution. I don't see anything about the trough mech that looks "wrong". Any advice would be appreciated.

#3 8 years ago

Yes, the scoop is cracked on both sides:

IMG_7094.JPGIMG_7094.JPG

I also reproduced the ball position with the scoop removed (sorry for the poor focus):

Trough-jam.jpgTrough-jam.jpg

I think what's happening is that the balls and/or the trough have become magnetized. I thought I installed carbon steel balls, but maybe I missed the one magnet in the game. I'll try carbon steel balls and see if I can reproduce the failure mode manually.

How did you zip-tie your scoop to repair it?

#4 8 years ago

BTW, thanks, fellow Duluthian!

#5 8 years ago

I used several layers of foil tape to shore up the scoop, and added a layer of mylar to the trough. I'll reply if that didn't fix the issue.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Dark enough? Geez

I can see it - thanks for the pic!

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

The pinballs are not being registered properly by the opto transmitter

The switches and optos are working fine. The problem is that the game software ignores the "trough jam" switch when it does a ball search. The fix is to avoid trough jams (until I can rewrite the code with a P-ROC).

#14 8 years ago

Bummer - the problem is still happening (but less frequently). We used CSI in league play Saturday, and it happened twice.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Did you ever try the zip tie instead of tape?

I'll try both tonight. Belt and suspenders.

2 weeks later
#18 8 years ago

So tonight, I finally caught the culprit red-handed! I'm certain now that the remaining problem (much more intermittent) is that either the trough or the balls have become magnetized. Two failure modes, both mechanical in nature - and probably due to not using carbon-core balls.

magnetized-balls.jpgmagnetized-balls.jpg

#20 8 years ago

I just ordered new carbon-core balls for all of my Sterns. It was about time to replace them anyway.

1 week later
#21 8 years ago

I just proved to myself that magnetized balls were my entire problem. I removed the trough and took it to my desk. Then I used a level to hold it at a 1 degree angle. The balls stuck to the wall! Then I redid the "experiment" with balls that I knew were carbon core. They moved freely.

I really feel dumb for putting Chrome Steel balls in this game - I'm usually more careful about that. Just glad that the issue is resolved!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/csi-trough-issue?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.