CSI_Translite_2.jpg
CSI_Coinbox.JPG
CSI_Cab.JPG
CSI_Full_Table.JPG
CSI_Lower_PF.JPG
CSI_Upper_PF.JPG
CSI_mylar.JPG
image.jpg
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Boring as batshit... No effort into incorporating the theme into the game.

So the skull, centrifuge, microscope, DNA lab, ballistics, morgue shot, evidence, etc. don't count?

:shrugs:

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

So the skull, centrifuge, microscope, DNA lab, ballistics, morgue shot, evidence, etc. don't count?
:shrugs:

Unfortunently not really. I wish they did. I played it again & again hoping it would get better.

#53 11 years ago

I've never watched the show, but I think I 'get' the humor. I think it's a pretty funny pin, in a dry, coroner-as-a-comedian kinda way. The theme was a turnoff, but my wife and I both fell in love with the game the first time we played it. That's the great thing about our hobby, you never know which pins are going to hook you. The other side of the coin is that you never know when you'll be bored by a game that has a theme you love!

I noticed that sometimes I'll have two balls locked in the skull, and it will kick a third ball out in the trough (auto fire). Is that normal? There are a couple weird little things like that, popping up here and there.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

I couldn't disagree more. CSI has one of the best integrated themes in all of pinball in my opinion. The software is fully polished with great dots, sound, and music. The toys all not only are directly related to the theme, but every one of them interact with the ball. Every single mode and goal in the software fits directly into the theme, from the main multiballs, to the fingerprint analysis leading to frenzy, to the bullet collection leading to ballistics, to the chasing of suspects in shakedown, to the analyzing of the DNA to collect mystery awards. Heck, the pop bumpers are even crime scene photos and the skillshot is the morgue and A/V lab. Every single shot is themed. Seriously, how much better could you possibly integrate a theme?

I totally respect your opinion of not liking the game or thinking it's boring, but I simply can't wrap my mind around thinking that no effort went into incorporating the theme.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Well there were creative differences between several "factions" at the time. Everyone was right for various reasons about some things and wrong about others. I think the vast majority of the company thought that CSI was a horrible theme for a game, especially when you already had 24 on the docket (it had been planned on way before CSI even though it came out after). The original design did in fact have that area where the upper right popper is be a piano-like hole that fed a subway, collecting the microscope TOTAN genie magnet-like dropping magnet hole, and feeding the popper on the left (originally a scoop).
I agree the centrifuge is a major toy, that's why I suggested it to begin with. Before, there was a captive ball setup back there. Think instead of Bart, it was a bullet. I swear I am not making this up.
There is no doubt it was not a good time. I remember a very specific time around late September 2008 where a meeting was occurring and Lyman and I separately both figured the end was very near. Of course we were told it was about something else, and since the axe didn't fall for another month or so, I think we might've even started to believe it after awhile. I had already started putting my resume out there because I wasn't liking the direction the company was going, especially with theme choices like CSI, WOF, 24, and BBH and utterly horrible games being made like IJ.
Of course one of life's great ironies is that I wound up at Play Mechnix, makers of BBH.

Thanks for the peek behind the scenes. Sounds like a ridiculous time. It also sounds like all of the design changes made were for the better. I would have liked to see the original microscope concept, but even that sounds a bit more complex than needed...it makes total sense how it is now with the magnet stopping the ball to be "analyzed".

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

I've never watched the show, but I think I 'get' the humor. I think it's a pretty funny pin, in a dry, coroner-as-a-comedian kinda way. The theme was a turnoff, but my wife and I both fell in love with the game the first time we played it. That's the great thing about our hobby, you never know which pins are going to hook you. The other side of the coin is that you never know when you'll be bored by a game that has a theme you love!
I noticed that sometimes I'll have two balls locked in the skull, and it will kick a third ball out in the trough (auto fire). Is that normal? There are a couple weird little things like that, popping up here and there.

Locking the second ball in the skull is what starts Skull Multiball, so it's perfectly normal that it would kick out a third ball.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I couldn't disagree more. CSI has one of the best integrated themes in all of pinball in my opinion.

The game integrates generic crime investigation themes really well, but doesn't really integrate anything from CSI the TV series. This game could easily been themed "Dexter" or "Bones" or dozens of other similar TV shows without much work.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

The game integrates generic crime investigation themes really well, but doesn't really integrate anything from CSI the TV series. This game could easily been themed "Dexter" or "Bones" or dozens of other similar TV shows without much work.

Couldn't you say that about darn near any game and theme though? ST:TNG, a game that usually gets raves about it's theme integration, could easily be rethemed to any other sci-fi theme. Because there are so many crime-drama shows out there, there are going to be similarities between them, some of which carry over to the pin. Where the show specific theme is set apart is by the animations, art, and use of the characters voices, which CSI does all of very well. It also manages to capture the quirky dark sense of humor of the show pretty perfectly. So yes, it could be rethemed easily, but so could nearly every other game ever made. I'm not sure what more it could have done to be show specific, other than a big talking Grissom head on the playfield or something. LOL

#59 11 years ago

People clearly see things through different microscopes.

My comments are based off owning/playing this games YEARS ago when it first came out. Maybe the code changed, so if I have some details wrong, I apologize.

Modes:

Despite having Ballistics and Evidence "modes" The game basically revolved around getting the 3 mb lights lit from each SJP.

Multiballs:

Centrifuge was the easiest to complete. Hit the centrifuge, start mb, hit the lit shots, then back to the centrifuge, collect SJP. There is a benefit to waiting to start the mb so you can build up
your jackpot.

Skull SJP involves hitting all 6 main playfield shots, then hitting the 5 bullet shots and then locking the balls back in the skull. No progress is saved, but I found this task easier than
Microscope. I really enjoyed the Skull multiball. I liked the physical locks.

I recall there was an add-a-ball feature during mb by hitting the 3 DNA drop targets on the left side of the playfield and then hitting the scoop located above the left flipper.

I seem to recall Microscope multiball was do or die. From my notes, it required 24 shots to complete and it saved no progress from multiball to multiball. You have to reach the megajackpot on the round you start the mb to earn the light. There was an add-a-ball at the midway point at the first jackpot. From what I can recall the only point of the 3 rows of evidence lights is to show progress needed to start the Microscope multiball and progress during that multiball only. Did the no progression rule change? (If that has not changed, I am curious about those praising this game and cursing TFLE's multiballs).

Stacking:

I recall Centrifuge could be stacked on a mb only after starting Skull or Microscope; you cannot start Centrifuge first and then start the others. I don't recall being able to stack all 3.

Toys:

I got very annoyed with the Centrifuge. Very noisy and clunky. Drove me crazy hearing that thing. Chewed up the balls too much.

Again, I thought the physical locks on the skull were very well implemented.

Wizard mode:

I seem to recall the wizard mode was here's your 50MIL points, watch a light show, thanks for stopping by. Nothing really do to per se. I felt like I worked really hard to reach the wizard mode and was given a trinket.

Tough game to beat, no doubt, but it was not doing anything for me. I found myself avoiding the Centrifuge because I did not want to hear it. That turned into not wanting to play the game at all, but I plugged along until I felt I saw everything. Probably logged about 125 games or so on it.

Anyway, I sold the game. For a few months, there was a chalk outline on my floor where the game was located. Seemed amusing.

#60 11 years ago

I personally thinks its a really cool game, some really unique rules and an interesting playfield layout, I really enjoy mine.

Check this out if you haven't already http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/csi/stories/csi-investigated

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from roadshow16:

I personally thinks its a really cool game, some really unique rules and an interesting playfield layout, I really enjoy mine.
Check this out if you haven't already http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/csi/stories/csi-investigated

Thanks for the link...that's an awesome write-up that I haven't seen before.

3 months later
#62 11 years ago

CSI much better with updated code. BRs video has Shane updating mine. Game itself more attractive than my IM. Great addition to a modest collection offering a nice variety in play.

#63 11 years ago

I think I just SHREDDED this bad boy.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#64 11 years ago

Nice! What is your strategy? I still haven't managed to get the stock GS Grand Champ off of mine, though I've been close. This is such a tough game to score big on. It seems like even if you can keep the ball in play for a nice long game, the scores are still crap. Seems to me that stacking is the only way to go, but that gets tricky too. So what's your secret? (other than just playing better..LOL!)

#65 11 years ago

Played one today ironically the game being about death and today being Halloween. My brief summary is despite not liking how cluttered some of the upper left side feels, seems like a pretty good game overall. Played it when it came out and I felt pretty much the same as now. What we're they thinking using CSI as the license and theme? Can't stand the theme--Morgue multliball, autospies, murder and death, yuck. Retheme it to something less dark in theme and I'd probably buy one.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I think I just SHREDDED this bad boy.

Nelson, I HATE YOU !

Nice job and nice score, bet you worked for that one...

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Nice! What is your strategy? I still haven't managed to get the stock GS Grand Champ off of mine, though I've been close. This is such a tough game to score big on. It seems like even if you can keep the ball in play for a nice long game, the scores are still crap. Seems to me that stacking is the only way to go, but that gets tricky too. So what's your secret? (other than just playing better..LOL!)

The last few days have been a little crazy but ill do a write up on how I approach the game tomorrow or Friday.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Nelson, I HATE YOU !

I did! Didn't even finish centrifuge Multiball, which I usually do...just had a monster game!

#69 11 years ago

My mom told me at a past MGC where we had a CSI set up that it was her favorite pinball machine, and that if I ever got one she would love it. I have no idea where that came from, since she doesn't watch the show and basically never plays pinball...

I think it looks darn cool and I really like the layout.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

The last few days have been a little crazy but ill do a write up on how I approach the game tomorrow or Friday.

No rush at all, but I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Quoted from goatdan:

My mom told me at a past MGC where we had a CSI set up that it was her favorite pinball machine, and that if I ever got one she would love it. I have no idea where that came from, since she doesn't watch the show and basically never plays pinball...
I think it looks darn cool and I really like the layout.

LOL! That's great! Bring her up here to play it anytime! Does this mean I should bring it to the show again this year, just for her?

#71 11 years ago

It is a strange game. Some obvious shortcomings but it creeps up on you. The music is amazing. It's an addictive "just one more" game and the multiballs are exhilarating...and HARD! I'm even getting used to the trans. Hell, it could be Mel or Sly up there. Or Keifer. Or Raven!!

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Nelson, I HATE YOU !

Btw. I love how you flame polished that ramp. Looks awesome! Maybe you can teach me some time.

#73 11 years ago

Nelson, what is your hi-score on LTOR? I cannot find anywhere and you mentioned on another thread you had a killer game recently on that PIN as well. Please post your scores in the "scores" section of pinside so we can compare results. Healthy competition is great!

#74 11 years ago

I put up a billion once, but had 4 score related ex balls along the way. Last night on straight 3 ball play and no score based EB I scored $186M.

I used to routinely get in the $500M range, on hard setting, 3 ball, but that was, again, with some score based EBs.

None of my machines are set up that way now, because I want to play faster games. So CSI was straight 3 ball.

My SM high is 1.5B. 3 ball, hard setting, and only the actual game awarded EB in play. That game was insane. My greatest ever.

#75 11 years ago

So here's a few things I've learned about CSI:

Milk the opportunity the game gives you to keep shooting the skill shot until you overshoot it. Even if you do overshoot it and hit a few slings or go down an inlane let the ball drain. Unless you hit a target of significance, the skill shot is still available.

Each pop number hit actually counts toward the "photo award" in the morgue...and every shot up the right orbit increases the pops value up to 10K per hit max. You can rack up some serious photo award points during a long ball and especially during a long ball with MB action.

Use the upper left flipper every chance you get to hit the morgue shot. Ultimately it awards EB and special. When you miss you'll often get a bullet for your trouble.

You can't start collecting evidence until you hit the microscope, so that's priority one.

Collect your DNA and CSI X Bonus whenever possible. Double flip out of the DNA video stuff so you can trap the ball on left flipper for quick shot up right orbit for the +3x bonus award. Bonus multiplication is Paramount to score high. During long balls in particular you collect alot of bonus. max it out!

Don't activate the Ballistics mode - best mode - until just before you start a Multiball. The random action of MB will collect bullets alot faster that you can with one ball. Same with fingerprint frenzy if possible, but when you get FF is a little harder to control.

The spinners are good to shoot when unlit, as they work you towards their related Suspect Shakedown and FF modes. When lit you just collect that evidence, which is ok too.

Use your Multiball ball savers wisely. During skull multi for example, use the free time to nail the harder shots first, like the microscope jackpots, or to get the centrifuge ready to start/stack that MB. Stacking gives you more balls, which is important in this game, because you can lose a ball - and end you MB - very quickly.

Microscope MB is your best scoring opportunity outside of a massive bonus. Use the beginning to start centrifuge or get it closer to starting. It's easy to activate the the double/triple jackpots at the microscope but you must cash in, both to add a ball and to light SJP, so having more balls in play is better, so stack centrifuge. Microscope MB is awesome, and I've been one shot away from finishing it twice. I think Skull MB may actually be harder though, because switching from the major shots to the bullet target shots is disorienting, and one of the bullet shots is best (only?) hit with the upper flipper, or randomly via MB.

Skull ramp can be worked hard shot after shot after shot if you get that right flipper shot down. Ill do it even if its not lit for evidence and I don't even feel guilty doing it, because unless you're in that groove the ramp is actually, surprisingly, a bitch to hit with either flipper. Unless you purposely go for skull MB, you can go entire games without getting to it.

Finally, jamming a couple balls in the centrifuge can be fun and work towards MB that much faster. Also, you'll often activate the centrifuge often without actually making it in, essentially wasting the shot..but if you can quickly jam a shot into the centrifuge while its still active from a missed shot, it will spin twice as fast and give you great credit towards MB.

I keep on thinking there's more to the game, but there really isn't. Sometimes I think there should be more to the game, but unless you are really rocking it out and getting each MB twice or more in the same game, the game usually gives you more than you can handle.

Let me know your scores! Or anything I've missed!

#76 11 years ago

Thanks for the post, Familyarcade.

CSI is new in house, and I finally got to play a few games after learning more.
You are dead on. The game is much harder, in its own way and more fun once you know.
Much better then the casual review......
Yet, there seems to be a consensus for one more ramp/toy/feature on the right, and a goal mode.
Close enough for me. The centrifuge is awesome!

#77 11 years ago

Protect the DNA lab scoop/saucer area! I just noticed mine now has a small chip. I've had LOTR and SM years and never had this happen. Not really surprising, because shots often bounce out of there violently and the normal kick out is pretty hard too.

I don't think Cliffy has a protector (ill bet it would further restrict access to the saucer)... So I'm thinking of laying down some Mylar and cutting it away from the saucer.

Any ideas here!

Thanks!

#78 11 years ago

Its way more game than most will ever give it credit for !

#79 11 years ago

It looks cool, but omg, that theme music is sooo bad.

#80 11 years ago

The music and sound you hear before the dude starts playing the game is NOT in the game. I'm not sure what you're talking about. I love the soundtrack to the game myself. The music is original and its awesome.

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Its way more game than most will ever give it credit for !

Gerry, do the red bulbs on the spinners ever come on outside of attract mode? I was cleaning the game this week and working around those tight areas and older if I loosened something, because those red lights don't come on during Suspect Shkedown or Finger print frenzy, which I would assume they would. But they light up during attract mode. I frankly hadn't noticed heather they came on bore during an actual game or not.

Just curious.

#82 11 years ago

CSI lOOk's Awesome w/ CoinTakers Premium and Retro Led's installed , Pict's & video coming Soon

#83 11 years ago

I just installed the Flipper Fidelity LED backbox lighting, which is sweet. I'm curious about other mods, so now that Rose has joined the thread lets get the CSI mod party started!

Btw, how can I fix the little chip on the saucer?

#84 11 years ago

BR and I completely LED CSI, POTC, BBH, and 24, yesterday, what a difference it makes!

#85 11 years ago

I need pictures, because CSI standard lighting is among the most beautiful I've seen.

Btw, BR, Obama, despite shrinking the size of government from Bush, has been on the case since day one. This has not been an Executive failure like Katrina. Moreover, the majority of complaints and hostility up here are being directed to the power companies, which last I checked were private. God help us in a catastrophe of any kind when we have to rely on the efficiency and generosity of private enterprise.

#86 11 years ago

Boooo @ politics

#87 11 years ago

You're right. BR made a comment in another thread that I mistakenly responded to in this one. My bad.

#88 11 years ago

ignore post!

#89 11 years ago

ignore post!

#90 11 years ago

Hey now, been playing CSI all weekend and its awesome. Multi-balls are impossible to finish right now, geez. The centrifuge is insane when you get a ball locked in there, play a 2nd ball and power hit the right/left flipper like a madman to get the centrifuge rotating and jack up the bonus. That feature caught me by surprize and is cool as hell.

The only Q I have is this Mylar supposed to be here leading up to the lab? When the ball is rolling slowly it sometimes catches the Mylar ends and gets deflected.

This game is unusual and fun right now. The MBs are extremely difficult to finish and my high score to date has been 42MIL. Definitely recommend this PIN for anyone looking for a unique layout and fun theme.

CSI_mylar.JPGCSI_mylar.JPG CSI_Upper_PF.JPGCSI_Upper_PF.JPG CSI_Lower_PF.JPGCSI_Lower_PF.JPG CSI_Full_Table.JPGCSI_Full_Table.JPG CSI_Cab.JPGCSI_Cab.JPG CSI_Coinbox.JPGCSI_Coinbox.JPG

#91 11 years ago

Looks Awesome!! 42m is good! Mine has that same Mylar.

#92 11 years ago

Not a good game to me.

#93 11 years ago

Quoted from TheLaw:

Not a good game to me.

Perhaps these alternate translites will change your mind?

Boom, Boom!

CSI_Translite_2.jpgCSI_Translite_2.jpg CSI_Translite_1.jpgCSI_Translite_1.jpg

#94 11 years ago

hey, its a big boy game. maybe some folks cant hang?

#95 11 years ago

I thought long & hard about getting one but the more I look at it all I see are a bajillion silver bolts & screws everywhere.

The whole sound package feels depressing as hell too.

It is PACKED with shots though, can't deny that.

#96 11 years ago

Perhaps these alternate translites will change your mind?

Boom, Boom

I like the 2nd Pict- . A New Trans- will make the Pin More Enjoyable , Especially after a through Shop

Just like my HS2 .. I Love lOOk-n up at it .. Marisa Miller , Ooo Wee !!

HUO_Single_Owner_TFTC_029.JPGHUO_Single_Owner_TFTC_029.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/csi-thoughts/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.