vs220304-002 (resized).jpg
vs220304-001 (resized).jpg
631105F9-A147-44F7-9F13-7E9E495ADDDA (resized).jpeg
BB27FE88-23C7-4FC4-AFB8-1B5A38DD0E9A (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

It's cool to see so many posts lately about my favorite Lawlor pin, CSI. Let's use this thread to share discussions about strategy, tweaks, mods, gripes and brags. I've done a playfield swap on mine; I need to post pics!

Here are a few suggested topics to start:
- orbit posts: friend or foe?
- common problems and fixes (e.g. ball hangs)

#2 10 years ago

I had a ball hang on the magnet in the Microscope shot. I started by trying to adjust the magnet under the playfield, but then decided that job was over my head. So instead, I built up layers of mylar on the magnet until the problem went away.

I also had a ball hang at the DNA drop targets. This one was really easy to fix: there are 2 screws for adjusting the height of the targets.

Have you done any tweaking to make CSI more fun (like TFA's orbit trick)? I adjusted the metal guide at the bottom of the right orbit, so that the ball doesn't bounce off the slingshot when it comes down the right side.

#6 10 years ago

I have some small gripes about CSI, and was wondering if anyone had workarounds for these.

1. When I shoot the left spinner, the up-post often comes up just in time to launch the ball into the glass and on top of the centrifuge. It's rather alarming.

2. The DNA lab scoop has a lot of bounce-outs when shot with the right flipper. Pretty much the only way to stick it is from the left flipper.

3. I wish the centrifuge drained in some other direction. It's not too bad though, maybe one SDTM for every 10 centrifuge drains. Definitely a risk/reward thing.

4. The right orbit is just about impossible to hit on purpose.

I'm guessing the answer to 3 and 4 is "play better".

#11 10 years ago

The "deeper layers" of CSI are definitely the MBs. I've never completed Skull MB or Microscope MB. Microscope MB is pretty much a wizard mode in itself. I've been within a few shots of finishing, but never completed it. It takes really good aim and planning (priming the Centrifuge and DNA for add-a-balls).

I've started using MindMaps to create simple schematics of pinball rules, and I think CSI may be as complex as IM, just not as easy to access. Not many people get to hear "Bullet Jackpot!", for example.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

A wanna be that's want to be in the club... Anyone selling?

CSI fans are also welcome on this thread. Good luck with the hunt!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The Multiball inserts by the flippers light up if you finish the MB, right? I had Centrifuge lit so I guess I finished it...lol. So - does anything happen when you light all 3?

From http://www.pinballnews.com/games/csi/index6.html:

"When you've got to the required levels in the three multiballs and all three multiball inserts are lit, the inserts in front of the bullet scoop strobe to indicate something good is available there. Shoot the scoop and you'll get a wizard points award of 50M"

#19 10 years ago

TFA, I think you posted in another thread that you'd gotten some scores near 100M. Was that on 5-ball or 3-ball? I don't think I've cracked 50M yet.

#25 10 years ago

Here's a link to TFA's thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/csi-better

Yeah, I will definitely try this. And I LOVE the blood in the test tube effect!

#26 10 years ago

Oh yeah, another gripe...the "blue" inserts are more purple on my game. I tried blue NoFlix Plus LEDs, which fixed that problem but ruined the attract mode fade effects.

#31 10 years ago

The original TL isn't bad, but I'm planning to make my own alternate. Love the city scene, hate the girl and the crime tape.

#35 10 years ago

I think an alternate translite gives you the biggest bang for the buck, as far as cosmetic mods go. The actors are already on the playfield, so they're a little redundant on the backglass. I just can't do tits in my gameroom (unless they come with the game).

#38 10 years ago

Yeah, I've experienced the add-a-ball bug. I don't mind this since it doesn't go to the bonus countdown until both balls drain. I consider it a feature. I never noticed the right orbit bug, because I hate that shot!

The audio bugs are the ones that annoy me. I've seen them in other people's videos too, so I'm pretty sure they're common:

1. Volume level suddenly goes up, but then goes back down.
2. Music randomly changes to "ball in shooter lane" for a few seconds.
3. "Pre-echo" when ball is stopped at the microscope magnet.

#42 10 years ago

David Thiel created some original music, but also pulled heavily from the series. I can't seem to find his site anymore; he explained it there.

#44 10 years ago

If you haven't seen the skull test rig video yet, definitely check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zXIQKSdhFjA#t=22s

#50 10 years ago

Yes, it should hold the ball in until you hit the post with another ball. It does sound like you may have flaky optos.

There's a separate problem that I assume is common: if the ball hits the wire guide running along the right side of the centrifuge, it can push the opto out of alignment and register a switch closure. I think this kit is supposed to fix it:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-6005-00

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If you activate the fuge without a ball going in, jam the ball in there while its still spinning, and it will jam even faster. A neat bonus for "missing" the original shot.

And of course 2 balls in the 'fuge is incredibly fun...

#57 10 years ago

Wow. 500,000 / 250 points per switch hit = 2000 switch hits, about 100 per second. How is this possible? You must have been great at Atari Track and Field!

[EDIT] I forgot about the 100k base jackpot. But still, that's 1600 switch hits in 20 seconds. I suppose this could be possible if you had another MB going already...

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yay, Pat's sending me the centrifuge kit! Thanks for letting me know about it!

Ha, funny - I just ordered it moments ago from Marco. Ah well, it was just $7. I'll definitely email Patrick next time!

1 year later
#76 9 years ago

Mine is only a crime scene when I play.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I just joined the club!!!

Hey, we're both in Duluth! Fun fact: Duluth GA got its name because the founders wanted to recognize their sister city, at the other end of the railroad tracks.

#80 9 years ago

"The town was renamed Duluth in 1871 after Congress approved funding for a north-south railroad connecting it with the better known Duluth, Minnesota. Or, according to the Duluth, Minnesota, Untold Delights of Duluth Wiki-page, Duluth, Georgia, was renamed by Evan P. Howell in humorous reference to Representative J. Proctor Knott's speech to Congress. Originally called Howell's Crossroads in honor of his grandfather, Evan Howell, the town had just finished getting a railroad to the town in 1871 and the "Delights of Duluth" speech was still popular."

#82 9 years ago

The plunger it comes with is already pretty cool - it has a fingerprint. As a player I hate shooter mods that change the way the shooter feels in my hand. May as well add flipper button mods while you're at it...those buttons are so boring!

/rant

4 months later
#102 9 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

On a side note, I contacted cliffy about some protectors, one of you nice gentlemen sent him a PF to make some and they should be done sometime soon, as hard as these are to find Im know this is a title I dont want premature wear on if it can be avoided..

Yep, that was me. I did it for selfish reasons - I wanted to protect the brand new PF I installed last year. No signs of wear so far.

1 month later
#107 8 years ago

I have my CSI for sale locally, but now I'm thinking I may keep it and P-ROC it. I would add a real wizard mode, and have the multiballs store progress so that the goals are attainable.

7 months later
#147 8 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

From what i have read, the shaker only goes off during a jackpot..
Hmmmm

That's true.

#151 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We are hoping for a board next year, that will allow a shaker to be added to this and many other games......

?? CSI does support a shaker. If you mean a board that will let the user program when the shaker goes off, that would be awesome.

2 years later
#194 5 years ago

Yeah, CSI is a lot of fun to shoot. I miss the sounds and music most of all, very unique for pinball. It was just a few modes shy of being a keeper for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/csi-owners-thread?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.