Topic Stats

• 223 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by killborn
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 53 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

971CB73B-16E9-4E1C-9410-FA8494D1B8E2 (resized).png
20190915_111610 (resized).jpg
20190825_081159 (resized).jpg
Inkedimage2.1_LI (resized).jpg
image1 (resized).jpeg
fb.jpg
IMG_20160416_181757926_(resized).jpg
20160417_152947_(resized).jpg
csi4_(resized).jpg
P7230035.jpg
P7230002.jpg
PB060007.jpg
csi_pinball_(resized).jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.png

There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 1 year ago
Quoted from janus:

Well, there goes another $400

That is a great mod for this rare game!

#202 1 year ago

Indeed - the availability of color dots might just talk me into re-buying this machine.

3 weeks later
#203 1 year ago

While installing my Colordmd I broke the ribbon cable. I feel stupid, but just wanted to warn anyone else that the underside of where the ribbon cable is plugged into the existing dmd is hot glued to the circuit board. The glue is not initially visible. I should have realized it wasn't easily able to be unplugged instead of pulling too hard on it instead of investigating. Oh well, now I have to wait couple more days for a new cable.

#204 1 year ago
Quoted from janus:

While installing my Colordmd I broke the ribbon cable. I feel stupid, but just wanted to warn anyone else that the underside of where the ribbon cable is plugged into the existing dmd is hot glued to the circuit board. The glue is not initially visible. I should have realized it wasn't easily able to be unplugged instead of pulling too hard on it instead of investigating. Oh well, now I have to wait couple more days for a new cable.

The display didn't come with another cable? They used to always pack a longer one in - maybe that was for whitestar kits.

The glue situation on stern games is all over the map. I've had some where it's a huge glob, and others where they missed the connection completely and it's just a nub on the connector - definitely something to watch out for and be careful with.

#205 1 year ago

thanks for the heads up, my color dmd comes today. went with the LED this time

Quoted from janus:

#206 1 year ago

Just got mine installed.. My display cable was hot glued as well, guessing since only roughly 500 were made they probably did it to all of them. Quick pry with a small flat head screw driver peeled it right up. Usual transfer brackets to new display, liking the LED over the LCD. Took a quick video with a crappy phone mount, but I got most of the screens to show up:

#207 1 year ago

Thanks, toyotaboy!

#208 1 year ago

This is such a tiny little club thread for such a cool game. Enjoyed my CSI while I had it!

1 week later
#209 1 year ago
Quoted from janus:

I discovered the hot glue Stern used to seal the ribbon cables to the original dmds the hard way too. My first encounter was on Spider-Man, when I nearly broke the cable trying to pull it off, before realizing it was glued. Since then, I’ve added color DMDs to 8 or 10 Sterns from the late 2000’s to now, and most have the hot glue. I take needle-nose pliers and gently pull the glue off before removing the cable. It usually comes off in one piece. It’s pretty common in my experience.

I’m stoked to add a color DMD to my CSI this weekend. One of my all-time fav games. Great toys, great flow (despite some stop/go) and easy to follow rules. I’ve owned mine 2 years and I’ve never completed all 3 multiball modes in the same game to qualify the 50 million shot. I’ve finished 2, but I never seem to hit all the lit shots to finish all 3. The kicker is, each time you fail, it gets harder to finish the mode the next time around. Surprisingly difficult pin to reach the “wizard mode,” which sadly isn’t really that. Given that most high scores on Pinside are under 100 mil, that 50 mil shot is just huge!

3 weeks later
#210 1 year ago

Just picked up a CSI for a reasonable sum. Good condition just very dirty. I guess due to the centrifuge. Similar to my Tron.

Photo gives you an idea. Cleaning and LEDs and should come back up good. Had a few games and quite like the rules and features.

20190825_081159 (resized).jpg
#211 1 year ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

Just picked up a CSI for a reasonable sum. Good condition just very dirty. I guess due to the centrifuge. Similar to my Tron.
Photo gives you an idea. Cleaning and LEDs and should come back up good. Had a few games and quite like the rules and features.[quoted image]

Congrats on your new addition. CSI was one of my first pins, and we still love it. Good rules, fun shots, subtle humor and they did a nice job on the recent color DMD release. The images are much easier to see.

My pin gets dirty from that black rubber mat in the centrifuge too. I have a clear one on my Tron, which is much cleaner. I should put a clear one on my CSI too!

This pin seems simple at first, but it's not easy to complete all three multiball modes to reach the final bonus shot. I have completed 2 of the 3 modes, but never all 3.

Enjoy!

#212 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Congrats on your new addition. CSI was one of my first pins, and we still love it. Good rules, fun shots, subtle humor and they did a nice job on the recent color DMD release. The images are much easier to see.
My pin gets dirty from that black rubber mat in the centrifuge too. I have a clear one on my Tron, which is much cleaner. I should put a clear one on my CSI too!
This pin seems simple at first, but it's not easy to complete all three multiball modes to reach the final bonus shot. I have completed 2 of the 3 modes, but never all 3.
Enjoy!

I have the clear disc in my Tron. Quite a fast ball now!
CSI is very chatty though. A lot of narration through the game.

2 weeks later
#213 1 year ago

Looking better now. Just side blades to fit.

20190915_111610 (resized).jpg
#214 1 year ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

Looking better now. Just side blades to fit

Looks good-great game, I love mine.

1 year later
#215 25 days ago

Anyone install pinwoofer with upgraded speakers on their CSI? Just curious if it improved the sound of this game very much.

1 week later
#216 18 days ago
Quoted from killborn:

Anyone install pinwoofer with upgraded speakers on their CSI? Just curious if it improved the sound of this game very much.

I haven’t, but I have my Spider-Man right next to my CSI and just added a Polk subwoofer to that game, and wow, what a difference! That game calls for it more, with intense music and action. CSI seems like one of the more “chill” pins I’ve owned. It’s pretty laid back, with the puns and humor, and jazzy, I guess, music. I would be curious how much boosting the audio would add to it. I may add a sub to my Indy Jones (Stern) which has fantastic movie music.

#217 16 days ago

Changed the T molding on my CSI...

971CB73B-16E9-4E1C-9410-FA8494D1B8E2 (resized).png
#218 16 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Changed the T molding on my CSI...
[quoted image]

That looks great! Haven't seen many pictures of the art blades or the color dmd installed, so that's nice to see.

#219 16 days ago
Quoted from killborn:

That looks great! Haven't seen many pictures of the art blades or the color dmd installed, so that's nice to see.

Indeed - the ColorDMD looks _great_. I've been (semi-)seriously thinking about getting another CSI just because of that; having the "RED" and "GREEN" and "BLUE" evidence all on the "screen" in orange always ticked me off.

#220 16 days ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Indeed - the ColorDMD looks great_. I've been (semi-)seriously thinking about getting another CSI just because of that; having the "RED" and "GREEN" and "BLUE" evidence all on the "screen" in orange always ticked me off.

They did a nice job on the color DMD animations for CSI. I always thought the photo award images were very difficult to discern. With color they are much clearer. It was well worth the cost to upgrade.

1 week later
#221 8 days ago

Does anyone know if there is a bug when you start fingerprint frenzy and then start centrifuge MB? My machine won't kick out another ball when the ball is trapped in the centrifuge.

#222 7 days ago

I guess I'll tinker with it some more tonight. I don't think I have tried to start skull MB after fingerprint frenzy, so maybe I'll start there. Also try some switch and opto tests. Otherwise, the game has appeared to play as it should.

#223 7 days ago

I am running V 2.4...yet the third line is very similar to what I'm experiencing...

V 02.3 / SYS. 1.52 - 06-August-2009
====================
- Fixed glitching problems with split-screen score display.
- Fixed 'credits' display effect (was not working well with split-score
screen).
- Fixed infinite points bug during centrifuge multiball.
- Fixed problem with background display and lamp effects not running
immediately after the start of a game (there was a small delay, perhaps a
tenth of a second).
- Custom message with flipper paging was not working properly on occasion
- Duty cycle left up post a bit stronger to keep it from falling down via
vibration

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside