Another happy CSI owner checking in! I really enjoy the unique/strange layout, excellent toys, straight-forward yet fun ruleset, beautiful cab and playfield art, great music/sounds/dots/lightshow, and quirky sense of humor that captures the theme so very well. My wife and I are fans of the show, so that definitely helps our enjoyment of the pin. I can understand how non-fans might just not get it.
It's a shame so many people have never played it and automatically assume that it sucks. I have brought mine to MGC a few times to give people a chance to try it out. I have had many people tell me how much they enjoyed it and how much better it is than the "popular opinion" makes it sound. Whatcha gonna do...hater's gonna hate.
The only mods I have done are added cliffy posts. The previous owner put in LED flashers which really put on a heck of a show...especially at skull multiball start. Great stuff. I was also lucky enough to buy one with the ultra-rare Matt McKee topper. From what I hear he only made 10 of them.
Quoted from swampfire:
I have some small gripes about CSI, and was wondering if anyone had workarounds for these.
1. When I shoot the left spinner, the up-post often comes up just in time to launch the ball into the glass and on top of the centrifuge. It's rather alarming.
2. The DNA lab scoop has a lot of bounce-outs when shot with the right flipper. Pretty much the only way to stick it is from the left flipper.
3. I wish the centrifuge drained in some other direction. It's not too bad though, maybe one SDTM for every 10 centrifuge drains. Definitely a risk/reward thing.
4. The right orbit is just about impossible to hit on purpose.
I'm guessing the answer to 3 and 4 is "play better".
1) Not sure on this one...I haven't had this problem. Is the post actually triggered by the spinner, or is there a switch closer to the post? If there is a switch, you could try making it a bit more sensitive which should make the post pop a little sooner.
2) If I remember right, there is a small amount of play where the scoop is mounted under the playfield. Try loosening up the screws and pushing the scoop back as far as you can while you retighten the screws. That hair of extra room might make a difference. I still get a few bounce-outs but not nearly as many since doing that.
3) I believe I read somewhere that Borg added the center post (between the flippers) specifically because of the centrifuge drains. Of course it has to be a perfectly centered drain for that to work!
4) Can't help you there...that shot is nearly impossible for me too. I think the geometry makes in almost unshootable.
I do agree with pmWolf that some really cool and crazy things could have been done with the rules on this pin. I am happy with what we have, but it could have been pretty epic.