Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pdxmonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

50BC2BD5-0038-48F0-BC64-00E31B06070E (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 11.51.07 AM (resized).png
    490930C5-B4EF-4380-BBF8-BA4E7CA3051F (resized).jpeg
    crypto_boardroom (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    170919094555-euros-in-toilet-780x439 (resized).jpg
    There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 5 years ago

I'm still holding. Up, down, up, down...it's been fun. Win or lose it's been exciting to watch.

#152 5 years ago

I have a bunch of low-CPU XMR miners running that grind out about 1 XMR a month, otherwise I've closed all my positions. I cashed out at 300% profit so no complaints from me.

#153 5 years ago

is there still a rush on the graphics cards markets or have things settled down / balanced somewhat?

6 months later
    #154 5 years ago

I built my first rig with graphics cards and began mining ETH around Christmas 2017. Built and bought a lot of mining equipment in 2018. Added a few Antminers for BTC. Then bought a bunch of Antminers for Zcash (ZEC). Bought a couple more for Decred.

Graphics cards are now relatively cheap and plentiful so the gamers have stopped whining.

I'm still mining and hodling ETH and ZEC. I stopped mining BTC and Decred. It keeps my business building heated. Will probably stop mining in the Spring as the heat value goes away. In the current bear market, I am barely making more in crypto value than electricity costs. I did get a new electricity contract for the next 4 years which saves 2 cents per kwh. Have not recovered the cost of the mining gear.

1 week later
    #155 5 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

Will probably stop mining in the Spring as the heat value goes away.

dang, hard to believe that's part of the equation but here we are

1 month later
    #158 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

dang, hard to believe that's part of the equation but here we are

It's weird to me that people continue to do it even though they are barely breaking even. Where does your electricity come from? If it's clean, renewable energy fine, but if it isn't, WTF?

#159 5 years ago

Because the hardware costs money. Having it sit idle doesn't make a lot of sense, so if you can break even and create crypto that may rise in value it makes sense to run the equipment you have. I have 7k watts of solar that helps offset the cost.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Because the hardware costs money. Having it sit idle doesn't make a lot of sense, so if you can break even and create crypto that may rise in value it makes sense to run the equipment you have. I have 7k watts of solar that helps offset the cost.

But it also may go down in value. Lots of respectable folks think it is ultimately worthless anyway. You are offsetting with some clean energy. A lot of folks aren't. If they give an F about the environment, it doesn't make sense.

#161 5 years ago

Fast forward

Crapto currency

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

But it also may go down in value. Lots of respectable folks think it is ultimately worthless anyway. You are offsetting with some clean energy. A lot of folks aren't. If they give an F about the environment, it doesn't make sense.

I've worked with retirement age men that never wanted to invest in the stock market because it "may go down in value". They had 400k after 25 years, while they're co-workers had 4+ million.

The electric company doesn't really like my solar anyway, so now I'm giving a reason to like me again I guess. Plus I drive a Prius...

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

I've worked with retirement age men that never wanted to invest in the stock market because it "may go down in value". They had 400k after 25 years, while they're co-workers had 4+ million.
    The electric company doesn't really like my solar anyway, so now I'm giving a reason to like me again I guess. Plus I drive a Prius...

So you equate stocks with Bitcoin? I don't....

#164 5 years ago

Not at all, but I sure wish I had bought Apple stock the first time I heard about an Ipod...

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Not at all, but I sure wish I had bought Apple stock the first time I heard about an Ipod...

Never too late. Buy now

Buy more when it goes on sale.

Like $145 and now $204

And when it dropped to $95 from $135 a few years ago

Get rich slowly

#166 5 years ago

I'll be fine. 401k's, 2 Roth IRA's, a TSP, 2 529's. Pinball'z. Investing since 1995. Crypto is just for fun...

#167 5 years ago

Some interesting reading. "The energy footprint of 1 Bitcoin transaction is equivalent to 1 US household for 14 days." That's crazy.

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-electricity-consumption

#168 5 years ago

Fuck all these crypto currencies. I bought some last year and the value of it currently is in a negative state. Lesson learned, never again.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Some interesting reading. "The energy footprint of 1 Bitcoin transaction is equivalent to 1 US household for 14 days." That's crazy.

I am unsure how this is sustainable as the currency of the future

1 month later
    #170 4 years ago

Now that the bull market is back, I decided to keep mining through the summer with outside air cooling. I signed a 4 year contract on power with a third party to get a reduced fixed rate. (They deal mostly in wind power.)

I installed a 3 hp 48 inch exhaust fan with vfd speed control in my server room. Have an equal sized intake rain hood. At full speed it changes the air every 4 seconds.

Should have all my miners moved into the server room by next week.

Have not paid back my investment and electricity, but making money and getting closer.

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I am unsure how this is sustainable as the currency of the future

I read up a bit on it. Some of the cryptos are moving to proof-of-stake (much more efficient) vs. proof-of-work, so they are trying to address it for this and other reasons. I am certainly no expert though. I still think it's crazy, but I also understand it doesn't have to make sense to make money. You probably don't want to be the last guy holding the bag though.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I read up a bit on it. Some of the cryptos are moving to proof-of-stake (much more efficient) vs. proof-of-work, so they are trying to address it for this and other reasons. I am certainly no expert though. I still think it's crazy, but I also understand it doesn't have to make sense to make money. You probably don't want to be the last guy holding the bag though.

yeah like if we are forced via the sheer logistics of the math of it to move away from proof-of-work, it makes me wonder when the inevitable transition begins to occur and PoW currencies enter their final spirals.
    A bull market will once again start revving up those conversations as more players enter the mining market at larger scales.

#173 4 years ago

Did anyone see that EOS unstaked some tokens and picked up $25 million in RAM? The price of RAM went from $0.07 to $1.38 in 36 hours. There is supposed to be some huge announcement on June 1. Too bad I don't own any RAM. Why can't my alts spike like that!

On a side note, now that BTC is back up, I'm thinking of selling off enough to buy a BM66. I'm terrible at timing the market...

#174 4 years ago

Still holding (since 2017)

#175 4 years ago

it's doubled in the past month, where did that come from. I left some in after the crash and forgot about it interesting to see how much higher it will go.....

8 months later
    #177 4 years ago

If anyone with a Coinbase account wants some free Orchid (OXT), Stellar Lumens (XLM) or EOS, let me know. I have Coinbase Earn referral links I can share. Hit me up via PM if you want a link and some free crypto.

You need a Coinbase account to redeem it though.

#178 4 years ago

this popped up in my feed and I realize it's been MONTHS since I've seen any crypto stories trickle through the media. Is all well in cryptoland? No major site hacks, scams, huge swings in valuations? I assume "no news is good news".

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

this popped up in my feed and I realize it's been MONTHS since I've seen any crypto stories trickle through the media. Is all well in cryptoland? No major site hacks, scams, huge swings in valuations? I assume "no news is good news".

Nothing of mine was lost, got hacked or otherwise disappeared. I purchased some more LINK on a dip awhile back, but that's my only recent trade. The last few days have been interesting though. I've been considering take a little profit, but haven't made a decision yet.

5 months later
    #180 3 years ago

What the heck happened? The real bull run in crypto is on. I'm finally ahead and not looking so stupid.

5 months later
    #181 3 years ago

Anyone wanna revive this thread?

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from Digduglus:

Anyone wanna revive this thread?

Sure. There is another one that has been getting more action lately. I had started this one because the other one turned into a bunch of people saying it was a giant bubble and all that shit.

I guess they all have their foot in their mouth now.

#183 3 years ago

Just for fun.

Posted 1/18/2018

Quoted from guyincognito:

EDIT: Wrong thread. First rule of Scamcoin is you're not supposed to talk about Scamcoin.
    Yada, yada, yada.

Quoted from Syco54645:

Crypto is 100% in a bubble.

Quoted from o-din:

I invest in vaporware whenever possible.

BTC closed 1/18/2018 at $11,474 with a Market Cap of $192 billion.

The scam bubble tulip coin is now at $34,428 with a Market Cap of $938 billion.

Yep, totally a bubble.

#184 3 years ago

who was heavy into dogecoin?

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

who was heavy into dogecoin?

Not me. I thought about it on Thursday morning. 100,000 coins would have cost $700 and would have been worth just under $8,000 by the time I left leagues on Thursday night.

DOGE has an infinite number of coins and was actually created as a big joke.

Not my thing, but if you timed it right, the movement and the volume was there to hit a home run.

#186 3 years ago
    50BC2BD5-0038-48F0-BC64-00E31B06070E (resized).png50BC2BD5-0038-48F0-BC64-00E31B06070E (resized).png
    There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-investment-thread-no-haters-please/page/4?hl=vampirekangaroo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.