(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,270 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by Pdxmonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8038 (resized).png
IMG_8034 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #438 Bitcoin gain loss chart by month from 2011 to Feb 2021 Posted by Pdxmonkey (3 years ago)

Post #946 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (3 years ago)

Post #3247 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1358 2 years ago

I own some bitcoin and Ethereum based upon just having some diversity for asymmetric returns, but the one question I've never been able to answer with crypto is "How does this make my life easier or better?". Most of the answers I get are rather fuzzy and unspecific, and don't seem particularly better, just different. Like why bitcoin over just using Paypal, credit cards, etc? Maybe I can see the attraction in places like Venezuela where there is hyperinflation, harder to see in the more modernized economies.

#1389 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

has been a terrible investment long term when compared to stocks

20 year chart of gold vs stock market (gold is gold line):
gold-price-vs-stock-market-20-year-chart-2021-05-05-macrotrends (resized).pnggold-price-vs-stock-market-20-year-chart-2021-05-05-macrotrends (resized).png

#1391 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You're conflating Bitcoin with a daily use currency... it's not, and wasn't designed as such. It's a "Store of Value", a reserve asset, a hedge against inflation, and the best performing asset on the planet over the last 12 years.
Making money doesn't make your life easier or better?
How are PayPal or Visa hedges against inflation?
Bitcoin makes you self sovereign. You're your own bank. Want to take your life savings with you to another country....memorize 12 or 24 words and get on a plane...done & done. Want a low interest loan using Bitcoin as collateral? Easy. Want to earn interest off your crypto? Easy...and neither triggers capital gains taxes...plus you keep your crypto.
Want to transfer larger sums internationally? Bitcoin will do it faster and cheaper.
Want to send small sums to anyone in the world in a different currency with no fee? Strike will do that for you using the lightning network and bitcoin.

That's fine if it's not designed for daily use, then why are so many companies trying to promote it as such? That's why I think the message is confusing. I don't try and buy Tesla's with gold coins. Like I said, I own it, but I'm still a skeptic on whether there's real value there longer term.

1 week later
#1582 2 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

As a Tesla owner, I find it striking how Tesla "just discovered" the sustainability concerns that come with Bitcoin.
It's like a pinball company realizing they need UL certification.

I'm not sure what's going on but the excuse they came up with is just bs in my opinion. Something else happened, like they got pressure from some outside presence to remove their bitcoin support.

#1586 2 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

Many are going to say it's a pump & dump and that Musk is simply manipulating the crypto market.
Then again, perhaps Tesla's Board wants more accessible cash on-hand. They just sold a nice chunk of coin a couple of weeks ago.
After all, Tesla sales have softened in China (down 27% month-over-month). While they may be an agile company, they're still at the mercy of the global chip supply, which they acknowledged as a guidance concern.
Tesla also knows that Biden is gunning on corporate tax. This combined with inflation, incoming competition, and concerns over the jobs numbers should be top-of-mind for future guidance.

One could also argue the sustainability of all the carbon and space debris created by SpaceX.

Tesla has tons of cash. And taxes are of no concern because they don't actually make any money selling cars (and probably never will, lol). There's no legit reason for them to have backpedaled on this.

I will say though that Elon continues to be bearish on Bitcoin, I might reduce my position or remove it entirely. He basically single handedly got dogecoin from 0 to 70 cents, so he has the power to raise dogecoin, he probably has the power to sink bitcoin (for now). I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't drive money into more energy efficient coins.

#1692 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Someone needs to lock down Elon's mouth. No one person should have THIS level of influence and control.

The irony is there has to be some sort of internal conflict for most crypto/tesla supporters as they've kind of been hand in hand as the 'things people just don't get'. So for Elon to turn on crypto is kind of surprising considering a lot of his biggest supporters are probably also crypto investors. I was at some graduation party this weekend and the graduating kid was all about Elon and crypto, lol. The whole thing is rather weird, and reminds me of his behavior from a couple years ago with the buyout stuff and the SEC.

I'm going to watch here closely, and if it starts to go any farther down I'm going to bail for now as I think it's going to collapse quite a ways due to overleverage short term (kind of like how the stock market did last March). Michael Burry warned about overleverage in the crypto market, and he's typically right.

#1993 2 years ago

According the RSI, bitcoin has probably bottomed for now (unless the RSI remains super depressed for multiple weeks, which is possible). Technicals point to it probably rising or staying steady at least, barring some other really bad news or tweet.

#1995 2 years ago

I saw this article for the first time today:

https://crypto-anonymous-2021.medium.com/the-bit-short-inside-cryptos-doomsday-machine-f8dcf78a64d3

I found it pretty interesting since there have been possible warnings about Tether going around.

#2049 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow, ETH....is at a buy level and my deposit hasn't cleared yet.

I think you're going to have a chance at it still. I think it's going to bounce off the low from a few days ago but probably not to as high as it did before (lower highs) and then on the 3rd retest probably break through it. When it bounces the second time it's getting fresh buyers who didn't get the first bounce, but by the 3rd bounce there's usually buying exhaustion.

#2050 2 years ago

Also, for those of you on coinbase, why is Tether's volume $137.3 billion when there's only $59.4 billion in existance? By comparison, Bitcoin's volume is only $64 billion. Seems a little off, kind of like that article I posted above said.

#2067 2 years ago

Here's a helpful video that might help you decide when to buy and sell:

#2071 2 years ago

Looks like the price is recovering tonight. The question is whether it will go back to retest a 3rd time in a couple days. Tether volume is off the charts today, you can add the volume of the next 4 highest coins in volume and it doesn't add up to what Tether did today. I did not buy back in today, I thought about it but didn't. I sold everything a few days ago except for a little in my IRA through that trust. Something is wrong fundamentally in the whole thing, the Tether volume is too high to make sense...so even though there's only 59 Billion in Tether, it did 180 billion in volume today? Nobody cares about Tether. Nobody uses Tether. So why is the volume excessively high?

I feel like there may be some other major issue in the mix as well. The repo market is having issues too again, almost at the same time. It's like people are being forced to sell their riskier assets which is causing some sort of domino effect.

I don't know, I have some sort of bad feeling about all of this, like there are some issues going on behind the scenes that are on the edge of collapsing. Not necessarily in the crypto space, but that family office collapsed like 2 months ago in the middle of a market runup...that just doesn't happen when the market is good.

#2089 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Nothing beyond "pump & dump"...so if you enjoy spinning the wheel...

I mean, you could really say that about almost all the crypto’s at this point since their values are all basically to a degree ‘made up’ and highly speculative. Frankly Dogecoin, even though it was made as a joke, honestly makes as much sense as anything else. The fact that it’s not rare or collectible makes it more viable in my opinion. Too much of the crypto space operates like collecting art or Stern LE’s, maybe the Stern pro option that nobody cares about really is the best option for adoption. I’m honestly not sure if any of the current crypto’s on the exchanges are going to make it longer term except for maybe Ethereum, the companies that are building infrastructure are not using any of these except it.

#2096 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Wow...I seriously don't even know where to start. I feel like I could write a novel on why that's wrong...and many have already. But in order to understand it, you would have to have an understanding of the history of money.
Why is a dollar worth a dollar...because we all agree it is. Sure, you could argue that it's because it's backed by the US military...but wtf? At the end of the day, it has value because we agree it has value...sort of like EVERYTHING.
Bitcoin is not a currency... it's a store of value. Why? Because it's scarce (No. 1) because it's secure (the most secure and also the largest network on the planet), and because it's decentralized (no trusted 3rd party needed to transact safely and securely... which solves a problem that previously had NEVER been solved). It represents a paradigm shift in a store of value.
Doge....like the US dollar, is not scarce. There's no cap, therefore; they can never retain value over time. The US dollar has lost over 85% of it's value just since 1971.

I understand money and have probably listened to 500 hours of macro economic podcasts in the last year. I understand the arguments for store of value and other things, but most crypto’s aren’t stores of value, that’s just bitcoin. And why is bitcoin any more special than if someone made a bitcoin 2.0 that only had 5 million units? Or 1 million? Because it’s first? It’s just manufactured rarity where the early adopters (like a stock) get rich while nobody else does. Hard to see why that is that much better than gold, fiat, etc, you’re just making a different set of people Uber wealthy and nobody else. To me bitcoin is just a stock with a predefined number of shares that is selling at a large speculative value that people will value it longer term. Decentralization is the popular buzzword right now but people don’t talk about the downsides of that either.

The dollar is in decline, but I’m not 100% sure bitcoin or any of the other existing crypto’s is the answer. Bitcoins value is 100% based on upon other people valuing it. So if people start valuing dogecoin, how is it not possible for it to be the standard for commerce? Just because crypto people hate it? Lots of times the inferior solution ends up winning. It’s all about adoption, and if 500 companies start supporting dogecoin before anything else, it may run away with it.

#2099 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Name recognition and adoption

Dogecoin is now a more popular search term than bitcoin, if you can believe that.

#2102 2 years ago
Quoted from canea:

This is where I'm at right now. I'm still onboard with crypto and believe it's the future. I did read the Bitcoin Standard (thanks guys!). I believe we're witnessing a paradigm shift that going to redefine banking for starters, along with all the other applications for blockchain. But will these changes take a year, a decade, maybe even generations to shake out? We might be looking for a crypto that hasn't been born yet, won't be born for a century, who knows.

Pretty clear that most of us aren't getting (excessively) rich now unless you were onboard early or can afford high roller quantity. Everybody else gets burned to varying degrees. Rinse, repeat.
What's really been giving me pause this week is I feel like the Fed is going to come down on crypto soon. Not as hard as China maybe, but the unintended consequences are unknown. When 1.x trillion dollars get wiped out in 48 hours that seems more like a disruptive technology than an investment, though in this case it's probably both.

Here’s what I know about crypto and banking. In theory it could completely remove the need for a bank...however, when you really start thinking about it, it’s not really 100% feasible. Who’s going approve mortgages, car loans, etc? The defi concept works to make those things so they don’t go through a central point like a bank.

And then you have the safety aspect. Credit cards and bank accounts have safety guaranteed for the most part. Nobody is going to put their life savings into something until those safety options are matched, and that basically means that the government would have to stand behind it. Does any believe that any government is going to back the current crypto’s in existence? I don’t. So that is going to hold back widespread adoption, despite that fact that the interest rate is much higher which is appealing(for now, it will probably drop as time goes on).

Credit cards took a long time to become popular for payment. Crypto might be the same. I do not disagree though that fiat money is a problem longer term, and that decentralization may be the key.

#2127 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Years from now? You'll be looking at 5k+...possibly in 4 years.

Is there even that big of a market for 'store of value'? Just realistically, the total gold value is only about 10 trillion, not like 100 trillion. There are other metals, art, etc that are also things like this, but gold is probably the biggest equivalent. So that kind of means the market cap of all crypto stores is value is probably capped at around 10 trillion (once it gets out of this hyper speculation phase). So a 10x gain from here is like 'best case' and probably only has a small chance of happening. To expect it to be higher than gold seems unlikely barring some sort of critical adoption from governments, kind of the law of large numbers issue that companies have when they get too big...Berkshire can't grow like they want anymore because in order to move the needle they need to make very large acquisitions now, small companies just don't help.

Bitcoin will run into the same issue eventually here, 1 Trillion to 2 Trillion basically will require all of the money that's gone into bitcoin in the past 10 years to double to get it to 100k. And then another Trillion to get it to 150k probably. So it starts to become harder and harder to move the needle for % gains. It's the same reason that Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, etc doubled over and over again until they got so large that doubling is very hard to do. People are using extreme leverage into Bitcoin to move the needle but eventually that reaches a point where it doesn't work, kind of like where Telsa has gotten to now.

#2164 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Market has been going down for a while now, yet I keep buying in small chunks BTC. I still believe it will pick up (one day).
However, nobody knows what tomorrow brings or what the bottom will be so basically with every buy order I lose money at the moment which is a weird feeling.

I don’t think that the repo market flux is helping either. Usually when there are problems there risk assets have issues. Which may be the reason the whole thing started collapsing a few weeks ago.

#2229 2 years ago

I've been looking into this more and more, and is there really a reason to own bitcoin over Ethereum at this point? Bitcoin has been depreciating vs Ethereum for a while now, and the use cases for Ethereum are a lot more. I get the 'store of value' thing but if its goal is to store value vs Ethereum and other cryptos then it seems like owning 'the market' is more diversified and appreciating more. Bitcoin also has the energy use headwind which I think limits it.

#2231 2 years ago

It looks like ethereum has been outperforming since September of 2019, when it was still in the bear market. So does that mean you expect that to continue should the market take off again here?

#2252 2 years ago

I'm starting to wonder if the next leg up for crypto could be coming here. There's a theory going around that all of this meme stock/crypto stuff is related, and that they're just rotating from one sector to the next. So it went tesla and other tech stocks->meme stocks->bitcoin->dogecoin->meme stocks...could it be time for bitcoin again? Basically young investors are piling into highly speculative assets that have no basis for value, and just taking the money they made on one trade and doubling down on the next thing, and when they pull out the value drops a ton.

#2261 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I agree that Doge is a a crappy coin, but even then, I think it might hit $1 eventually. Just got a bit more today, although Bitcoin is a deal right now, so I bought more of that. Had a little extra spending cash this week, and wanted to get more Bitcoin before it goes back up.....and I believe it will.

I think bitcoin will go back up too...I would feel better about it though if we would have reached ‘capitulation’ which we never did. The fact that people aren’t fearful tells me that there’s a decent chance we didn’t reach the bottom yet.

#2353 2 years ago

Doesn’t the high transaction cost and slow speed make it kind of useless as an actual currency unless you’re doing some sort of high dollar transaction?

#2369 2 years ago

The thing I wonder is how they're going to handle the volatility. You could be shopping for a TV, and literally while you're in the store it could cost 5% more or 5% less, lol. The volatility makes it very hard to be usable on a day to day basis for the stores. Just look at the last month, if you didn't immediately change your bitcoin into cash after sales, it may have sent your business into bankruptcy if it operates on small margins but big revenue.

#2385 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Do you all think if the market goes south crypto will hold up? I mean is it a safe haven or will it mimic the broader market?

It's too tied into the rest of the market, it will get flogged along with everything else in a major correction. But even things like gold get flogged in a major correction initially, then recover. I made big profits last year on silver when it crashed way down to stupidly low levels. Something like IVOL might do well in a correction since it's designed to do better in high volatility environments.

#2387 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

My guess is if market crashes, crypto will crash too but it’ll recover faster.

Looking back at last year's crash, it doesn't appear like it really acted any different than the rest of the market. Went way down and then had mostly recovered by May/Juneish. Probably has the most correlation with the Nasdaq. Anything that uses leverage is going to wash out in a crash.

#2390 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You’re making a mistake if you compare btc to a stock or that market.

By what metric? Of course it's a different asset class, but he was asking about how it will act in a crash, and last March it acted EXACTLY like the rest of the stock market. Gold was about the only thing that didn't have a major selloff, it only moved down 5% to 10% before moving higher much faster than everything else (silver though went from $18 to $12, which is why I bought a large amount of it there...I couldn't see any downside at that low of price).

It's because the same people who are pumping meme stocks, growth stocks, etc, are also pumping crypto, all part of the get rich quick thing that's currently in the market. They're just rotating between the sectors. It doesn't mean that there isn't value there, it's just that the same related strategies are being used in all of them, so in a liquidity crunch situation like last March they're all going to suffer in the same manor.

Now something like real estate, there's an asset that has a pretty big disconnect from the rest of the market. Moves very slow because the market is inefficient.

#2405 2 years ago

Why are all the crypto’s selling off right now except bitcoin? It’s a little weird. They’ve
pretty much been moving together for a while.

#2435 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

The use of energy is what gives it its value.

I don't believe that can be true. Because if someone made a super efficient power way to mine it, that would mean it would be worth less.

The power usage currently is a drawback in my opinion that hurts it in current world where energy conservation is becoming more important. It may have been intentional at the time but 10 years later it's probably not the best approach.

#2464 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

And it sure beats gold as an investment. Gold has been on a downward trend for almost a year and never been a very good investment.

1971 was the first year gold wasn't pegged to $35 anymore. If you look back over the past 50 years, the S&P has gone from 91 to 4250 and gold from $35 to $1900. Gold has actually outperformed the S&P. It just seems like crap to most people because it went to this unloved ditch for like 20 years after the 70's inflation went away, but when it takes off it really takes off. Now silver, that really hasn't gone anywhere forever. Gold, like most commodities, go in cycles. It's done really poorly the past 10 years.

#2477 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Best possible case would be everyone using actual BTC. That way it's impossible to print more.
Fixed money supply good, unlimited money supply bad.

Have you thought that through completely? Like really thought it through? For example, let’s say there were twenty one million houses and each one was worth one bitcoin. Population grows, now there are 42 million homes, so each is worth 1/2 a bitcoin. What happens is a deflationary spiral where nobody wants to buy anything because it’s always cheaper tomorrow.

It just wouldn’t work as long as the population is growing or producing more product. The stock market would never grow as the deflationary effects would kill any gains. In fact you’d never want to invest because a bitcoin sitting on the sidelines would gain more in value than investing it, so all investment would go to zero.

#2480 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

How about the price of shit actually goes DOWN over time instead of up? Why do prices rise...because of inflation. Is rising prices a good thing? People will still buy stuff in a deflationary world...just maybe less frivolous stuff. Some stuff will always rise in value. Things that are rare and sought after...like some art and beachfront property. BTC wouldn't fix inequality...but it would help overall. If you're not going to buy stuff because that stuff will be cheaper in the future...then I guess you really didn't need that stuff. People would have to start producing what other people actually want and need. If the best way to earn money on your money is to just hold onto it!!...that's a win/win. Companies that make crap people want and need will survive...the rest...who cares?
I could care less if in the future the stock market failed. No one needs the stock market...not even the companies selling the stocks. If you make crap people need/want you will make money. Actually, the stock market wouldn't fail completely...because there would still be successful companies.

Ironically in a bitcoin only world this forum wouldn’t exist as pinball machines would still depreciate like the 90’s and all the companies would be gone, lol. Nobody would want to own a house as they would lose value every year like a car, we’d all be renters. 401k’s would just be savings accounts.

Deflation by increased productivity is good. Forced deflation through scarcity isn’t though in my opinion.

#2518 2 years ago

Here's a question, is there any crypto addressing the issue of game, movie, music digital rights? Like what I'm talking about is something that would allow users to buy and sell their digital copies of things, much like we did with games, dvd's, records, etc in the past. That's like the killer app for some of this stuff, but searching didn't turn up anything.

1 week later
#2686 2 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Hey everyone - Not sure who here are holders of Cardano, but if you are and you are interesting in supporting a fellow Pinsider's stake pool, then I would love it if you checked my pool (TYGAR) out.. Last month I posted briefly here about a push to increase my pools ROA, and I am very excited to report that the past 30 day ROA of Tygar is close to 6% now: https://adapools.org/pool/f8e64037e3917cd7cb94969a5374e11b9e6c939b4b69118a8eb4509f and our last epoch produced an outstanding 9.8% return.
Additionally, to help recruit new delegates, we were launched a loyalty program in April and officially became the first pool to reward our delegates TWICE every five days. We're now doing a second issuance of loyalty tokens for anyone who stakes over 5K with us. Check out the full details, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CardanoStakePools/comments/o1xnon/tygar_pool_loyalty_token_second_issuance_come_get/
That's all I'll say for now, but happy to answer any questions and really appreciate your consideration!

Isn’t staking in general kind of pointless in an asset that moves 10% a day? We all know that most crypto’s are going to zero eventually, it just seems pointless even worry about staking because if you bet on the right crypto, you’re going to make out like a bandit even without staking, and if you don’t then you’re going to zero anyways.

It’s like investing in GameStop because they all of a sudden offered a 6% dividend, the dividend is pointless because you’re either going to be very rich or very poor long before that dividend amounts to anything.

Staking seems like it would only be worth it once the asset has stopped the high volatility.

#2689 2 years ago

There are like 1000 crypto’s...how could most of them not eventually go to zero? I’m surprised I’m getting pushback on that. In every new industry there are 1000s of players that eventually reduce to very few. Look at the auto industry that went from 1900 to 3 in the US. First wave of internet companies too. First wave of solar companies. Etc...

It’s just like the gold rushes of the past, most of the miners just ended up broke.

It’s not a know it all thing, seriously, it’s just realistic. I mean even in the biggest market caps everyone thinks dogecoin is going to zero eventually.

Quoted from nwpinball:

I love it when people say "we all know" when they are only speaking for themselves and their opinion is totally nuts.

#2692 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Because you’re implying that Cardano is a bottom of the barrel crypto rather than #4 largest.

I never implied Cardano was bottom of the barrel. I just said that staking (regardless of what crypto it is) is rather pointless currently due to volatility. Mining on the other hand, isn't pointless, and doing your own stake pool isn't pointless, as both of those can generate a very steady stream of income per money invested.

Just look at it from a math point of view. Cardano was 8 cents a year ago, and is $1.26 now.

If you put 1k in Cardano a year ago, you now have about $16k. Your staking part of that is another $960 on top of that at most. However, if you just would have sold your Cardano instead of continuing to stake in the past 2 months, you could have 50% more. Even today, Cardano is down what an entire years of staking would bring in (6.14%).

I just think it's not even worth thinking about when the price moves enough to equal or erase an entire year of staking per day.

#2696 2 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I follow your logic, but there’s a few parts I dont really agree with.
First, how can free crypto ever not be worth it. Especially when it’s is extremely easy to put in or pull from a staking pool (10 minutes) and rewards are paid out every 5 days.
Second, your example uses the basis that people can time the market perfectly and sell at the top and buy at the bottom. If you’re lucky enough to time things just right, then yeah, it makes sense to pull from staking, sell, and then buy back in and stake again. No one would argue that. But that example has a lot of hindsight factored in.
Third, your idea of having a years worth of staking rewards whipped out in a single day is extreme. Can it happen? Yes. Does it happen everyday? Not even close. This notion also dismisses the benefits of staking as the value increases.
Basically it boils down to this. If you own crypto. And that crypto can earn you more free crypto everyday, and it costs nothing and there’s no restrictions or effects on your existing crypto, how can that be a bad thing or not worth it? Especially if you plan on holding for a while.
Also the idea that mining is worthwhile but staking isn’t is a bit comical. Staking is basically mining that doesn’t cost you on your electrical bill.
The only way that I can’t see staking not being worth it is if you plan on swing trading your Ada every couple days, and you only have a couple hundred. If you’re at all long term hold, then staking any amount makes sense. This idea is backed up by 75%ish of the Ada in circulation currently being staked.

Well, let's just say I start with $1000 to invest for a year.

Option A is buying my favorite crypto, stake it, and just hope that it goes up over time.
Option B is buying a top of the line video card, mine and sell the proceeds.

If crypto doubles in price, both options are about the same. One has 2060 to 2120 worth of crypto, the other has the video card and around $1200.
If crypto stays the same, option B wins easily.
If crypto goes down, option b win easily
If crypto goes up by 300% or more, then option A wins easily (in between 200% and 300% the increased profits from mining would probably even it out).

Option B is an investment, option A is speculation because there are no fundamentals for the value. Similar to the housing market, you can buy a house in Cali and hope that appreciation continues like it has, or your can get a rental house that makes money every month regardless of what the market does. Option A will make you wealthier for sure over time if you pick correctly but you can just as easily go broke if the market turns south, but option B is playing the odds over time to earn income. Doing a 3rd option where you don't actually sell all the mining proceeds is probably the best 'blended' approached.

10 months later
#6366 1 year ago

I haven’t commented in this thread for a long time. I think the last time I commented it was something about staking not making much sense due to the highly volatile nature of coins, and although I took a ton of flack at the time, I don’t think I was totally incorrect on that, people have lost way more money than they’ve made over the past year from staking.

Bitcoin is going to have to decide what it wants to be at some point, it can’t be both a currency and a store of value. I don’t think it makes much sense as a currency because of its deflationary nature, meaning things will cost less and less bitcoin over time…so why buy things now when they will be cheaper later? It would destroy the economy of anyone who tried to use it in that way. You can’t price things in bitcoin, it wouldn’t work as the base system.

But as a store of value currently it’s way too volatile. Can’t be a store of value when you can go up 10% or down 10% a day. It has to get to gold like stability before anyone would even consider it a real store of value. Also it’s way too concentrated in too few owners, so I don’t know how that makes it any better than gold or fiat in that regard.

I can see a use case for cross border transactions and I think it would work great for that. But for that the volatility also needs to go down more.

It’s funny because I think the thing that all crypto people are against (regulation) is probably what is needed for it to be viable longer term. And bitcoin probably needs to go sub $10k to shake out all of the excess, much like the dot com bust had to happen to shake out all of the weak companies. Michael Saylor probably needs to go bust for bitcoin to have a future.

#6370 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I agree with you on the staking issue and on regulation...that's about it.

Not on the deflationary issue? I can explain this pretty easy on why this makes unusable as a main currency.

Say everything is priced in bitcoin. There are 21 million houses, and every house is worth 1 bitcoin. Say the population expands like normal, and now you need 2 million more houses. Well, more houses means that all existing houses have to go down in value because the money supply doesn’t expand.

This would go for cars, houses, even your job…you wouldn’t get raises, you would make less over time instead of more. Stocks would get cheaper over time as well if they didn’t outpace the deflation rate.

Spending would plummet and the country would go into a deep recession that there would be no way to pull out of. It would be a deflationary death spiral.

That’s why it can’t be used as the main currency of a country.

#6374 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah.....you seem very confused. If your money is worth more and shit costs less (over time) THAT'S A GOOD THING! That's how it should be. That's how the world naturally should operate. This promotes saving (which is good). It lowers everyone's time preference (which is a good thing) and it makes you consider what you are buying before you buy it. "Do I really need this now?" (Which is a good thing).
It does not matter if the goods and services go down in cost over time as long as the value of the money you receive is going up.
This situation would likely result in a world where the population might actually contract a little and then stabilize. We already see contraction in 1st world nations today. We don't really need more and more people. A somewhat steady state would be good.

You would think that, but that only works if the things are actually cheaper to make (productivity gains).

Having your money appreciate sounds good on paper, but really think it through. Right now, you earn interest on your money through loans. People take out loans for cars, houses, investments, etc. If the collateral for every single loan is losing significant value, how many loans would a bank make? Almost None. So how could they pay interest? They couldn’t. So the banking system would collapse.

Then move to business. When you start your business for one bitcoin, you’re guaranteed that you will make less and less over time unless you’re super successful. Who would invest in that rather than just keeping their bitcoin? They wouldn’t. So business creation would collapse, and jobs would collapse as well.

That’s why the government charges less taxes on investments and more on savings accounts, to encourage job creation and investment in business. Money on the sideline produces no value other than for loans. The economy runs on goods and services, and the medium of exchange has to be something that encourages that or the economy would collapse.

#6381 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It would certainly be a different "economy" than we have today, but for "most" people it would be a better condition than what we have now. "Most" people would be better off and live better lives with a fixed money supply that goes up in value over time. Remember when we were still on the gold standard in the 50's and most people in America were middle class with one working person, two cars, a nice house and enough for vacations every year while only working 40hrs a week? It would be more like that, only a lot better.

I agree that the current monetary system leaves a lot to be desired, and inflates assets too much, hurting those who don’t have assets. I don’t see how switching to a currency system where 10000 people control 1/3rd of the total supply is the answer, that doesn’t seem to be good for those people either.

Back to the currency thing, can you imagine buying the s&p index in your 401k for 1 bitcoin and then 20 years later it’s worth .1 bitcoin? Would you do it? Maybe your buying power would be higher, but why even invest it? Just leave the bitcoin doing nothing, it would perform better. So because nobody would want to invest in the stock markets, businesses and companies would be unable to expand. In fact they’d be fighting deflation all along too, make 100 bitcoin investment in a new factory to make cars, well the cars devalue so fast that you can’t make back your original 100.

Store of value, sure, maybe eventually. Currency, impossible. If the supply wasn’t fixed and could slightly increase each year like gold did, that would help it immensely in being a currency.

Can you imagine trying to pay back debt where you’re making less and less money every year? You think debt traps lower income now, just wait until they make less and less, the lender becomes even more powerful.

#6387 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You are still confused between "making less" but being able to "purchase more".
1 Bitcoin will always equal 1 Bitcoin...but the "buying power" it represents could be vastly different!

I totally get that things will cost less and that you can buy more, but what I’m saying is that deflation destroys economies.

What happened in 2008/2009? That’s right, massive asset deflation. Should have been good for everyone, right, money was buying more of everything asset wise…stocks, real estate, businesses, vehicles, etc. Great time had by all right?

Or the early 1930’s when we had 25% deflation over 3 or 4 years. Should have been great, right? Lower prices, gold buying more, best time ever right?

When deflation takes hold it destroys businesses and everything else (jobs, prosperity, etc). You can have small deflation on prices with optimized processes which can be good (tvs, computers, etc) but if you have large across the board deflation it can be devastating.

#6389 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So now you're comparing market crashes to deflation? I'm done.

I’m giving deflation examples. We’re on a pinball site, how many pinball machines would people own if they went down in value every year, and how many companies would exist?

Think about that…I own 7, but if they weren’t appreciating I probably would only own one or none. Would people be chasing after games? No, they’d just wait for them to get cheaper, you’re guaranteed that they’d lose value due to currency appreciation.

#6393 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Bitcoin doesn't change supply and demand.

It does if you use it as a currency.

I do like pinball, but if they lost value I’d only play on location. I wouldn’t want to own anything, I’d only want to own bitcoin. No house, nothing besides basics, would rent. The opposite of what I do now for a currency which is devaluing. So right now I(currency devaluing):

Own stocks
Own real estate
Own businesses
Own anything that benefits from a currency which is devaluing
Take out loans at low rates where the currency devaluing would benefit me
Own bitcoin

If bitcoin was the currency(currency appreciating) :

I would own bitcoin. Nothing else from above.

That’s why I say it wouldn’t work. That doesn’t sound like an improvement in quality of life, and would discourage investment in housing, businesses, etc.

#6411 1 year ago

The best case scenario for bitcoin in my opinion is about 600k. That puts it at the same market cap as gold. Past that I think it would be very difficult to go anywhere as a store of value. And honestly it would probably be less than that, unless you get every country to buy into it like gold (unlikely) it won’t get that high. If they regulate stable coins it will cause a massive deleveraging probably in the short term, as Terra showed that when stable coins are shown as not being as backed as well as was thought, the whole market crumbles. If they don’t regulate stable coins then I could see bitcoin doing a blowoff top where it goes higher than it should shorter term.

I think the times of bitcoin going 10x in a short time period are probably over unless it melts down to $5k and back to $50k. Law of large numbers makes it really hard for it to grow fast once it gets to like that 1 trillion market cap. Same thing happens to all assets, you just run out of money to run the asset higher unless you highly leverage it up (see GameStop).

#6445 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:I have not sold the rest of my alts (yet), but even so BTC has now crossed 80% dominance in my holdings. It was only in the mid 60's at one point last year.

I think most alts are probably going to zero other than Ethereum. Too many of them are just hot air and/or useless, and like the dot com bust 20 years ago, most of them are going to zero or close to zero in the next couple years. Bitcoin and Ethereum will be left and then whoever out of the rest survives (like possibly Solana).

#6453 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Here you go...this is just one...there are many more from different analyst

Lyn Alden is great. I find I agree with her on almost everything. The only thing I don’t agree with her on is the energy use of bitcoin. She doesn’t think it’s an issue, but I think it’s a huge issue considering our current grid and energy issues. Basically maybe not a big deal 10 years ago, but now it’s a lot bigger of an issue. Basically, our grid can’t support all of the electric cars coming online, and bitcoin just makes that even worse. Basically, it’s solving one issue (store of value) but creating an issue that’s just as large somewhere else (energy).

#6457 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Did you not see the chart I just posted? Basically, Bitcoin's energy usage is MASSIVELY overblown.
Here it is again:
[quoted image]

That graph is a bunch of crap in my opinion, lol. It’s selecting all the most massive energy stuff and then trying to make bitcoin look small. It’s a graph you’d make if you had to support an agenda.

The truth is it uses more electricity than all the fridges in the US, or would rank like 28th in the world for energy usage…for something that produces very little value for how much energy it uses.

#6458 1 year ago

I should clarify my energy opinion, my thought is if something that uses that much energy isn’t providing value to the average citizen, then it’s a net negative on the economy. Basically, if it’s not as valuable as a refrigerator to the average person (or computer, air conditioning, electric car, etc, whatever is using that much electricity as well) then it is not increasing the quality of life for the average person and may well be decreasing it (increased utility bills, power grid issues).

#6465 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Really ...failed? I must have missed the memo. Seeing as you can spend it at over 80 million retailers without a fee and the transaction is instant. But, why would you? Spend your deprecating fiat on your coffee and save for you future with BTC. That's the value of a store of value. It lengthens your time preference and allows you to save and plan for your future ...instead of spending frivolously.
My guess, PoS systems will all eventually fail.

80 million retailers? Where is that number from? When I googled it said 15000.

I don’t know if proof of work or stake will win, but from an pure theoretical standpoint proof of stake would be better if they could work out all the issues. Proof of work is more resilient but inherently more inefficient. It’s basically wasting a bunch of energy betting that no one else can amass that much energy and computing power to screw it up.

#6475 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

But it will be more valuable to the average person than those things. Of course all of this is subjective/debatable...for now.
It currently uses about the same amount of energy as US clothes dryers...I would put it's "future" utility WAY above those.

I don’t think that the average person would own bitcoin as a store of value anymore than they would own physical gold now. How many own physical gold now? Like 10.8%. So it doesn’t seem like it would ever be something that an average person would own, just a small minority. Bitcoin is already at that percentage approximately, so I’m not sure it’s really going to make much more headway there other than those 10% owning more.

Maybe in the future bitcoin would be worth more than a clothes dryer, but it you’ve ever hung clothes out to dry on a line you’d realize that the clothes dryer is way more helpful at the current time.

#6526 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Because mining is profitable... perhaps?

Is there a possible flaw in the system if energy remains highly elevated and the bitcoin price suppressed, making it unprofitable for mining? Like say electricity went 2x or 3x, and bitcoin went down to less than $5k, would the solvency or security of the network be at risk?

This is just a theoretical question, I never really thought about it until the recent energy spike. It seems like there would be a point where if the energy cost is greater than the value of the bitcoin produced, the network would become basically 'insolvent'. Is this possible?

1 week later
#6556 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

[quoted image]

It’s going to need to recover fast or the next iPhone will actually cost more bitcoin than the last one.

The emissions chart is just ridiculous for something as little used as bitcoin transactionally. Bitcoin currently uses a ton of energy for around 250,000 transactions a day. Just credit cards alone do over a billion transactions a day. And the transactions are actually falling over time instead of increasing, like less people are using bitcoin for transactions now than they were a few years ago.

To me, those charts say "if you switch to bitcoin, your savings account will use more energy than your clothes dryer"...which seems insane, lol.

If the energy situation doesn't improve, I could see a large movement to ban the mining of it outright coming. Not saying that it's fair, but if you're having a power shortage and the choice is between having air conditioning and bitcoin, pretty sure politically that bitcoin is going to get axed. If there are any rolling blackouts this summer in the midwest, south, or other areas that don't normally have them, I wouldn't surprised if some states don't go after it as a low hanging fruit. Kind of like if bitcoin was using 1% of the gas in the US right now, there would probably be calls to ban it due to the current supply issues.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6559 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You realize it uses less energy than video gaming right?
It's energy usage will drop over time, and transactions have almost nothing to do with it's energy usage. In the near future most mining will probably be powered by nuclear energy...along with hydro, excess, solar, wind, and thermal. PoW is required for true decentration...there is no alternative.

I'd still rather play video games than use that power on bitcoin security.

That's basically what the power is used for, security, by making it super expensive monetarily and power wise to hack it. If I told you one of the smallest banks in the New York City area needed to use 1% of the area's power just for security, would you think that is reasonable?

I believe that it's a good idea but the energy thing is a big drawback. It's kind of like having a car make a one mile trip, but to verify that it actually made the trip you need to burn 5000 gallons of gasoline to verify. You don't need the 5000 gallons to actually make the trip, just for security.

#6583 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Bitcoin's ledger represents an immutable record of absolute truth. First time in human history that has existed.

Let's not go off the hyperbole deep end here, lol. People have been making decentralized things for a long time. Not in the same way as Bitcoin with computer power, but let's not act like decentralization is a new thing here. We've been able to send the same information everywhere in the world for 100+ years, Bitcoin is just improved formula on that. It's no different than the data storage centers that are located around the globe that constantly back up each other and keep in sync from a ledger standpoint, those just don't spend massive energy securing their ledger.

Quoted from Baiter:

Bitcoin network is up to 64.6% renewable energy, a higher percentage than most industries. The argument against Bitcoin energy usage skirts around the reality that asset protection can't exist without some form of energy usage. Banks don't turn off power after customers go, and neither does Fort Knox. Staking also takes energy, just less of it, and the tradeoff is a lesser security model.
Visa/MC/Discover use plenty of energy as well, the interesting stat is that their datacenters account for only 50% of their energy usage. Visa reported using 700 gigajoules of energy... much less per txn than BTC, but BTC is far, far more secure. Everything is a tradeoff.
https://bitcoinminingcouncil.com/bitcoin-mining-council-survey-confirms-year-on-year-improvements-in-sustainable-power-mix-and-technological-efficiency/
https://medium.com/@a.abbaszadeh.s/measuring-iota-pow-s-energy-consumption-and-comparing-with-other-payment-systems-413f4de50274

Bitcoin is far far more secure? From a centralized hacking attack sure, everyday use? I'd take the credit card, because if something goes wrong the credit card will back me up. Something goes wrong with my bitcoin transaction (likely going through some secondary network for speed), there isn't anyone who is going to help.

The energy consumption is an issue no matter which way you slice. You can't say the energy is what makes it secure, and then claim it isn't using much energy, lol, those two things are at direct odds with one another. Bitcoin trying to claim it isn't affecting the energy industry is like crytpo miners claiming they aren't affecting the video card market. Whether they're driving up local energy prices or making solar panels more expensive (solar panel prices have jumped up a lot), bitcoin mining is causing things to be more expensive for non-mining people without a doubt.

I'm interested to see where things go here. Things are starting to melt down a little, the MBS market went no bid on Friday for a little bit after the CPI report, and that's indicates that things could be hitting the fan here. You really need a washout of all the speculation (aka Michael Saylor) to clean the slate a little, it's impossible to take it seriously as a currency or store of value with people trying to set million dollar price targets on it on TV, that's bubble behavior. There's a future for it somewhere, but the speculation and video game console like religion has to be knocked down to more reasonable levels so legit conversations can be held, not bitcoin to the moon and it's the 8th wonder of the world, lol.

#6596 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You call it hyperbole, but Bitcoin has solved what were previously unsolved problems.
Solved digital scarcity and the "double spend" problem.
Solved the Byzantine General's Problem
Introduced the world to triple entry accounting.
Bitcoin was the first time in human history that two people could transact with one another in a guaranteed fashion with no trusted 3rd party needed.
It now represents the most secure database on the planet. And yes ..that requires energy (good).

The trusted 3rd party is energy. It's not a person/entity, but it's required just like a title company escrow is required for a real estate transaction in most places. Without energy providing the backbone, there is no transaction.

I don't know what problems it's solved for me personally. It's made computer hardware and solar power more expensive, and probably my electric bill in general. So 10 years in, it's been a net drain on me and anyone who isn't in it...even though I've been in it, I haven't made enough to counter the having to buy video cards for my kid's pc's and my own stuff being jacked as a result. Eventually it may solve problems for me, I don't know what those would be currently, but maybe eventually. It could become a store of value at some point, but I think when it comes down to it, hard assets (coal, oil, metals, food, products, etc) are the real currency/hard assets and everything else is fluff because you can't eat dollars or crypto. The whole Russia/Ukraine situation shows that if you have stuff other people need, it doesn't matter how crappy your currency is, people are going to use it if they want stuff.

I'm thinking about buying some more at some point, but it's not cheap yet, and there's still hysteria out there. Need capitulation and fear. From this thread I can measure that somewhat, and I don't see fear yet (not even close). Michael Saylor gets wiped out, Microstrategy goes bankrupt, Greyscale fund goes belly up, those kind of things would be where I would think there's a good entry point. Kind of like the stock market right now, it's gone down but it's been kind of orderly, no capitulation like 2020 or 2008. Gamestop is still above $100. Market still has too much liquidity.

#6666 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Reminder that Bitcoin is an asset with no counter-party risk!

I don't know if I'd agree with that completely. On a normal transaction, I agree. But your counterparty risk doesn't come from the transaction part, it come from the country/government part. Countries do weird things sometimes to protect themselves, like even banning the ownership of gold like the US did.

Like bitcoin is probably worthless in North Korea because the network doesn't exist there. And there may countries in the future that do weird things as well as a result of this crypto meltdown.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you're correct that there is no transaction risk. But there is a non zero risk of it becoming unusable at some point in the future in some locations.

#6711 1 year ago

I can’t see a way for the volatility to ever go down unless it’s a token where its value is determined by the income it produces. Things where the value isn’t mathematically quantifiable will always be super volatile. Even things like oil go through periods of high volatility.

#6716 1 year ago

The real risk factor is tether in my opinion. It’s collateral is completely hidden, and there could be a complete blowup if it starts having issues. If their collateral was rock solid they would have shown it by now. It’s already had issues once with depegging, and if that happens again it may spell the end.

#6801 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Normal daily volume… cheapest one is still over 100k
[quoted image]

This stuff is just crazy to me. If you know what you're doing, you can make a boatload of money, but it seems a little like the beanie baby thing only times a factor of 100. I'm just never going to understand these picture NFT's, lol, guess things have just passed me by. I think I'd have the same feeling towards any metaverse item too, I'd have a hard time spending $100k on a virtual house when I could just buy a real one.

But that's probably my own deal, I don't get into LE pinball machines or other limited edition stuff, it's all about the function or utility to me. It's why I have a hard time valuing crypto right now, I see potential but also where it could be and where it is are like an ocean apart.

#6824 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

It’s not just a picture, the NFT can act as a key to get you access or benefits. There lies the value.
Edit wither that’s value is overvalued is a debatable topic but to say they are just pictures is very incorrect

Does it act like the key to a new free Porsche? Or maybe 14 new pinball machines? Then I understand. Otherwise, one is a Porsche, the other is a monkey pic, and they both cost the same, lol. What I’m guessing the monkey pic buys you is more chances to buy more monkey pics and flip them to more people who can try and flip more monkey pics, gradually forming the base of a nice pyramid of monkey pic holders.

#6828 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Gensler's approval of a BTC Short ETF will likely end up being a massive backfire.

I would kind of agree with that. Anytime someone has tried to short something that has laser eye type support (bitcoin, Tesla, GameStop, etc) it hasn’t worked out well for them longer term. I wouldn’t short it for the simple fact that one tweet from Elon could send the market up 10% like it did this weekend, I wouldn’t want to short in a market that can be driven up and down 10% by a stupid tweet.

The power of blind support makes those things very dangerous to short, as you could be 100% right that GameStop is going bankrupt but still lose a ton of money on the short due to gamma squeezes. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t try and gamma squeeze bitcoin next as more products become available.

#6870 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

My top books if your interested in "why Bitcoin":
Easy starter - The Bullish Case For Bitcoin - Vijay Boyapati
Next level up - The Bitcoin Standard - Saifedean Ammous. Also very good and also by Ammous - The Fiat Standard.
Different insights and good writing - 21 Lessons (What I've Learned from Falling Down the Bitcoin Rabbit Hole) - by Gigi.

I agree that reading up on Bitcoin is a good idea if you're going to invest in it. But I'd also suggest reading counter Bitcoin articles, so you get a view from both perspectives. Something like:

https://www.yanisvaroufakis.eu/2021/08/02/what-is-money/

Just so you understand all the views on it.

#6889 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

[quoted image]

This isn't bullish in my opinion. It's what you do when you have no other option. Either Bitcoin goes to the moon or Microstrategy goes bankrupt, there is no plan B, so he has to keep buying in order to avoid a margin call. He's underwater hundreds of millions in his investment, he's just lucky he hasn't been margin called yet...if this was a house, they already would have forced the owner to put up more collateral or take on PMI.

It's also not bullish that so much is concentrated in one place. It can't be money for the people or whatever if one small company owns 1% of it. People are ok with it because it's Michael Saylor, but what if this was Facebook? Or Amazon? Would people like those companies holding large amounts of bitcoin? Probably not.

This is similar to what happened with the airlines, they used all their profits and took out loans to buy their own stock, then got margin called by covid.

#6895 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I get that he's got no Plan B, but why does he have to keep buying in order to avoid a margin call? Do you mean he's hoping to move the market by publicly buying a bunch more?

His only hope is to spend what little money and influence he has to stabilize the price. Anyone in his position would do the same thing, there’s no choice.

I see some indicators that say that buyers are incredibly bearish right now, I don’t see it. Everyone that was buying before is still buying or is long term bullish.

I’m sure he’s not the only one over leveraged long. The thing is, at this point, I think most of the big gains are gone from bitcoin longer term. The highs it’s making are smaller and smaller multiples, so realistically the next up cycle 3 or 4 years from now will be to around $120k to $140k, then probably $200k to $250k 4 years after that if things continue as they have been.

#6897 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

A 12.5x in 7-8 years? I think your wrong ...but I'd still take that.

Just looking at the past performance, that would be the overarching returns. Not really my opinion, that’s just historical data trends. It would have to break out of that to go higher…which it could do, but hasn’t historically really done that. Basically, your total gain will be higher, but lower on a percentage basis.

#6938 1 year ago

It's funny that there's a Bitcoin meme thing making fun of inflation when it's been the worst performing inflation asset.

Stocks down like 25% from high
Bonds down like 10% to 20%
Bitcoin down like 75% from high
Oil way up
Gold flat
Dollar up against other currencies

It's like making fun of someone for getting a C when you got an F, lol.

#6952 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Zoom out
The code is programmed to do this every 4 years. It’s called halving. We’ve brought it up 100 times in this this thread.

This is the first time in 40 years that inflation has been an issue, so it’s the only relevant timeframe. So regardless of halving, it has not done well compared to other assets in the same timeframe. 5 year timeframe it has performed outstanding, but if interest rates stay high and inflation persists will bitcoin perform? Hard to say currently.

#6961 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Good take on trends and NFTs from Gary Vee

I like his takes on NFT's. What I'm not entirely sold on is whether someone will be able to make their living as an artist at $80k a year solely on NFT's. And the reason I say that is because if artists struggle now paying bills and selling stuff, it's hard for me to believe that NFT's are going to make their work worth more, it just doesn't work like that normally.

The influencer stuff he talks about I can totally see and think he's right about them making a living on that. NFT's and artists, not so much because it's a crowded market. Influencers are just stealing away advertising dollars from TV/Magazine/Internet to a more targeted audience, what bucket are artist NFT's going to steal from? Nothing that I can see, you'd just have to have more people care about art than currently do, which is a hard sell in my opinion. I think he's right that some NFT from now will be worth millions later.

#6968 1 year ago

If it can get through that 23k barrier it has a long ways to run to the upside, like probably up past $30k.

#6989 1 year ago

The crypto space doesn't really have facts to be honest as far as value goes, it's all speculation for the most part.

Investing gives you an expected return based upon the income generated by an asset, which is usually backed up by historical data. These are usually businesses that sell or produce a product that generates some sort of return on equity.
Speculation is gambling that an asset is going to increase in value while producing no income or betting that it will in the future.

In other terms, you invest in an apartment complex that makes money every month, you speculate on land that you think will be worth a fortune if a business comes to the area (but the land currently produces no income).

Almost everything in the crypto universe is hypothetical. "If this happens, it will be worth a lot of money". "If governments adopt this, it will be worth a lot of money". "Hold everything, never sell, it's going to go up forever". There is no basis for the value, which is why the values fly all over the place. It's just a giant speculative outlet for extra money. That's why Buffet doesn't invest in it, he can't value it. I do think that there's some value in speculative bets in small amounts that pay an outsized return.

Right now the crypto market is essentially a higher beta version of TQQQ. Very high returns at times with very hard drawdowns as well. TQQQ has a 5 year return of about 3x to 4x currently, most crypto starts at 5x.

#7006 1 year ago

I don't know if the report has legit concerns or not, there are very very few people who would be able to say for certain. But I do know that over the past year there have been multiple things happening that "shouldn't have been possible". So I take anything along those lines with a grain of salt now, clearly anything is possible if the right circumstances happen. Things like Celsius collapsing, Luna collapsing, other exchanges looking like they're going to implode, etc.

So while it's likely most of the report is pretty far out there and unlikely, there's probably a certain amount of underlying truth to it, however small that may be.

3 weeks later
#7042 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Does this really matter? Isn’t the end result basically the same for environment, methane either gets burned for nothing or it gets burned for power for bitcoin mining? Seems irrelevant.

#7045 1 year ago

There’s no evidence in that article at all, just a claim from the people actually doing the bitcoin mining that it’s still producing the same gasses but it’s cleaner somehow…sounds like a bunch of malarkey to me, lol. It’s probably marginal cleaner but not some big mind blowing achievement.

#7047 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You’re arguing burning methane straight into the atmosphere is marginally the same as capturing that gas and turning it into energy to power a miner?

It all depends on what kind of pollution equipment they have on the miner. Otherwise it’s just burning gas in a barrel vs an engine, and an engine isn’t really going to be much better unless equipped with smog equipment (which most generators do not). Smog equipment generally is more expensive and less efficient, so the miners would lose money using it, so it’s iffy whether they would be using it.

#7050 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I cant believe we're even debating this? It's VASTLY different...and a massive improvement. Does your computer emit methane? A Bitcoin miner is just a high powered computer. Of course it's not 100% efficient...but still.

It’s only vastly different if they have the correct smog equipment. Run a generator, a tractor, a 60’s car, and a new car, then report the smell/emissions…vastly different. So until there’s a 3rd party actually confirming this stuff and not energy/mining companies with financial interest, I’m skeptical of the savings.

#7052 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

So your source is a gut feeling you have?

And your source is the people making money on the mining? I think you know better than to trust the people with financial interests.

1 week later
#7088 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

[quoted image]

I'm not sure if this is a very good rule of thumb. Things like I-bonds are like at 9%+ right now. Lots of reits/energy companies are paying high dividends and have been around a long time. Any legit business will return around a 33% yield on your investment per year. Maybe it's a good rule for things that don't have any history though.

2 months later
#7147 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi/page/54#post-6352705

This whole thing reminds me of the post I made last year before everything collapsed and got ripped for, lol. It just seems like there’s a complete meltdown coming again.

#7150 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I downvoted you for the staking comment.
This meltdown had nothing to do with staking… I think there’s going to be a big push for regulation after this. Especially since the SEC wants to go after crypto and NFTs as securities. BTC is clear from that. Be an interesting couple years.

You're right, it doesn't directly deal with staking, but all of this 'chasing yield' stuff with both staking and high interest accounts are all related and core to this meltdown.

The reason I said it was pointless way back then is the same reason I would say so now, it's just financial math...staking is irrelevant in an asset that wobbles in price the value of the entire staking of the year. I say that because you're either going to zero, in which your staking is also zero, or some 3x, 4x, 5x multiple where 10% is just noise. Like when bitcoin went from $10k to $60k, would anyone have cared about a 5% or 10% staking? No. And now that it's gone back the other way, $60k to $18k, would it matter? No. You've either gained or lost a crapload of money, with staking only marginally affecting the result.

It's no different than buying a REIT on the edge of bankruptcy that pays a 15% dividend (due to how low the stock price has been driven), it's either going to survive and be worth 3x to 5x what it is now, or it's going to go under and leave you with nothing. Same concept.

The only time staking would be worth it is in an asset where it's stable and little long term risk going to zero. Otherwise a lot of the time you're locked in when staking and can't sell your coins, leaving you with no way to escape should a meltdown happen. S&P 500 gives a small dividend you can reinvest kind of like staking, but there's basically no risk of going to zero either. It seems like Ethereum and Bitcoin are really the only two legit stable coins out there where you might want to hold them long term.

#7214 1 year ago

Bitcoin isn’t a Ponzi scheme. Literally impossible. However, it is possible that it could turn out to be a pyramid scheme if any of the top holders show up and liquidate everything. The base nature of it is similar to other multiple level marketing model stuff to be honest, where early large holders convince people to get on board and they convince more people to get on while the top holders value continually increases much like how the value in an mlm all funnels to the top.

#7216 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Yeah, but so are stocks...first in and first out wins.

Not necessarily with stocks, lots of times they go down and you can buy more later than you could earlier.

Bitcoin is setup so later adopters are guaranteed to earn less and less bitcoin for their mining than early adopters.

1 month later
#7437 1 year ago

It all depends on whether Saylor gets wiped out. If he gets margin called, the bottom will fall out. Other scenarios I don’t see an issue with it really going much lower unless like binance goes under. Binance goes under, look out below.

#7439 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Saylor going under (which just isn't going to happen even if I'm being stupid Bearish) wouldn't do much. MicroStrategy has 0.69% of the existing Bitcoin...that would get absorbed by the market. Tiny dip and then right back.
Binance would be only marginally worse....look at FTX...no major impact from FTX. Binance is bigger but what is slightly more than "no major impact"? Mild temoray impact? Okay?

If bitcoin does not get back above the acquisition cost ($30k) by the time the loans are due he will be liquidated. .69% of all bitcoin would completely sink the market because it’s not the .69, it’s that the float isn’t that high and .69 would be a huge amount for the market to swallow. In a non zero interest rate environment he will not be able to hold indefinitely without selling to service the debt.

Binance would be a big deal because it’s how most people sell their crypto outside the US. That goes down it’s like the NYSE going under, how do you buy and sell coins if the exchange is gone? All crypto would sink if binance went, just like all stocks would fall if the NYSE collapsed.

#7441 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Binance is big but it's not the only option for foreign traders.
Saylor had this to say about the loans and any possible margin call:
“We can always contribute additional bitcoins to maintain the required loan-to-value ratio. Even at current prices, we continue to maintain more than sufficient additional unpledged bitcoins to meet our requirements under the loan agreement.”
“as long as the loan-to-value ratio stays below 50%. He pointed to a previous tweet, which suggested that a margin call could only take place if the BTC price fell below $3,562.“

There are two different scenarios with Saylor. One is that bitcoin goes too low and he gets wiped out. The second is that bitcoin stays where it's at and doesn't get back above $30k for multiple years, that also probably wipes him out as when the loan comes due he can't refi and the interest to carry new loans would be way too high to service.

Right now it's like he bought a house that's 50% under the value he bought it for, but the loan repayment isn't due for a couple years. There are a couple issues here. His plan had to be to buy bitcoin at $30k and then sell some of it to pay the loan off. So essentially he's bought a house that he expected to triple but is now under water. If the price only gets back to $30k, he still has to liquidate everything as he has to pay back the loan. And if it's 50% under, he'll have to sell all the bitcoin he used as collateral to pay back the loan. Basically, if the house is the same price as he bought it when the loan comes due, he's going to have to liquidate because you can't refi a previous 2% loan at 7% and still afford it. And if it's under, he has to sell assets to make up the difference.

It's a race against time. I don't think he will get financing the second time after all this blew up and the easy money is gone now. Bitcoin either goes to 60k/100k or he has to sell everything that's on loan.

#7444 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

He did a couple things different though…it isn’t one loan to buy a house. He took the margin loan for some of their btc but switched and sold bonds and stock to raise a lot of it too. The amount on margin isn’t a majority of the holdings. Guess that’s why he says isn’t worried about folding the company on a margin unless it drops to low four figure btc.

Regardless, he has loans that are coming due and he's going to need money to repay them. $855 million in 23 months it appears is the first, and there's something before that too (smaller amount). He was using Silvergate which is down like 80% now as a stock, so it's possible they're in trouble too from FTX. I'm just saying that in these situations where it's known that someone has a compromised position, it's pretty typical for those positions to eventually unravel as there's a ton of money to be made shorting. Like even Musk is having issues because it's known that he has to sell Tesla at some low value to cover debt, and the stock is being walked down to that level. If people know there's a huge forced seller at some level, they usually find a way to make it happen...which is how you get those giant market crashes, cascading margin calls/forced selling.

I'm not saying that the price would stay down for long, but I do think at some point Saylor is going to have to sell a large portion of his coins. Even if the price doubles/triples from his 30k average he's still going to have to sell 1/2 or 1/3 to cover the loan probably.

#7446 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

What do you think the odds are that Bitcoin will be above 30k before the loans come due?
Not saying it for sure will be...but take a quick look at the halving cycles for Bitcoin. The next halving is next year.

I would assume pretty high chance it will be above 30k. 60k or 90k? Probably slim. Which means that he'd probably have to sell all of it at 30k, 1/2 of it at 60k, 1/3 of it at 90k. I think he just wanted to roll the loans but I think that's going to be pretty much impossible going forward with the higher rates and the risk that's been exposed in the system. It's just a lot of bitcoin that could be dumped on the market when the majority of bitcoin is held by whales that never sell.

2 months later
#7579 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Possibly the best thread I've ever read on Twitter (and what's happening right now)
https://twitter.com/jackmallers/status/1635111543116529665?t=aQe7FoOtRiubWb1JSh8LaA&s=19

This is nonsense. Yes, SVB was really stupid and put 50% of their assets into long duration which is a basic banking no-no if you don't hedge. They also had a very poor deposit pool compared to most banks which left them vulnerable to liquidity issues...if you have 10 million people with accounts giving you 200 billion in deposits, you're a lot less likely to have them pulled then a company or individual who has multiple billions themselves (because they're all insured for the most part, and the company isn't).

Most of these banks are hedged, have very little exposure (10% or less), or are holding much shorter duration, etc. This isn't the canary in the coal mine. However, I do think that it will cause more assets to go to the big 4 and these smaller regional banks may suffer or eventually get bought. Maybe a couple of them will go under who have things that don't qualify for the new fed program (like muni bonds).

Yes, some banks will have issues, but this isn't going to be a major issue barring some other major event.

I agree with Pdxmonkey, Bitcoin can be digital gold, but it can't be the main currency unless you fractional reserve it. A fixed currency can't function unless the population is shrinking.

Also, why do you keep posting Michael Saylor stuff for bitcoin? That's akin to posting Jim Cramer advice in the stock thread, lol.

I do think Bitcoin has the possibility of shooting a lot higher here, however if there's a banking crisis it's going down with everything else probably just like how gold gets crushed in those situations. I'm honestly not even sure if people are investing in bitcoin anymore because they believe in bitcoin or because it's the highest beta most volatile asset which has the highest upside (and downside). Bitcoin's highest correlation is with like ARKK, lol...to me that just signals it's investors are the same ones flooding into meme stocks and other high beta things.

#7585 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think as long as there is a need for loans there will be a need for banks. I'm sure they'll still provide some custodial services as well...for a small fee.
Let's say Bitcoin does become the global reserve asset and unit of account. Banks will still provide loans and custody peoples bitcoin (the ones too afraid to self custody...which will likely be most people). Are they going to pay you interest? NO...but why would anyone need them to if the value of money itself rises over time?

Why would people use them if they paid no interest? The only reason people kept their money in banks to begin with was safety and interest, without the interest part people would just put it somewhere else.

Back to it being used a currency, it would never work because of the disincentive to actually invest/borrow. For example, take a farmer. Now normally they take out a loan, grow crops, the land appreciates and when they hit 60 the land is paid off, is worth a lot more and they can retire by renting the land or selling it.

Now move to the bitcoin way. The farmer actually can't take out a loan on the land because the land is depreciating every year, and crops grown every year are worth less and less...no banker will make that loan. So there's no incentive to actually become a farmer at all. In fact, let's say that you started out in the best possible scenario ever, you owned 1000 acres free and clear to start. Time to start farming, right? No. Because the land depreciating and the crops are depreciating, you sell the land and just sit on the bitcoin instead...it's more profitable to produce nothing than to actually make crops. Why work for no gain?

And there in lies the whole issue, in the current economy assets are everything, the currency is becomes more and more worthless. In what you're proposing, the currency is everything, and assets become more and more worthless. The reason that doesn't make sense (besides the deflationary aspect of it) is because say you have Warren Buffett...he became rich by investing in businesses which produce goods and services which people consumed. In your world, Warren Buffet would become rich by doing nothing, in fact the less he produces/consumes the better. Instead of creating an electric car company (Tesla) or the biggest retailer (Amazon) or the most popular consumer electronic company (apple), he just did nothing and allowed his bitcoin to become more valuable over time. There would be no investing because instead of debt devaluing due to time, it would increase in value over time and become suffocating.

Because when it comes down to it, you need food, shelter, energy, etc and the money is somewhat irrelevant, it's just a medium of exchange. The only thing good about a bitcoin currency is that it would limit government spending, which is the real source of the money issues today, not the 'hardness' of the money.

#7587 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Your farming analogy is completely nonsensical. Crops won't become worth less in a depreciating economy. Not EVERYTHING would depreciate. We all need food. The things we actually need would still have value. Companies that produce those things would still be smart to invest in.
There is also the scenario where people earn less over time, but their "buying power" simultaneously goes up relative to the cost of goods and services.
Read Jeff Booths book....he spells out in detail how it not only could work...but would make most people's lives vastly better then in our current system.

Everything would depreciate as it's a zero sum game. The more stuff you produce, the more things would depreciate as there's only so much bitcoin to go around. Our salaries would go backwards.

Example: Say there are 1000 bitcoins for 1000 people, one per person to start, and 1000 acres per person, and 1 bitcoin = 1000 acres as they're all farmers with little else at this point. Then over time the population grows to a million with still those same 1000 bitcoins. So now there is 1000 bitcoin providing the salaries for a million people, which means each person is probably earning 1/1000th what they were when the population was smaller. As a result, asset values have plunged by a similar amount as no one could afford anything more. How could farmland still be 1 bitcoin when the average person's wealth has gone from 1 bitcoin to 1/1000th of a bitcoin? The population has gone from farmers with nothing to having houses, cars, food, etc, so there's 1000x more assets to spread the 1000 bitcoin over too. Crops would have plunged to 1/1000th their previous value as well at a minimum.

This is just the thought exercise. And frankly it would be much worse than that, because I'm sure by that point 1% of people will hold 99% of the bitcoin, so the average salary might be 1/1,000,000th of a bitcoin.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it's dollar based or bitcoin based, assets are what really matter. While I think the 'rewarding savers' aspect is somewhat important, it's the production of goods and services that really matter. There has to be proper incentives to drive innovation or things will stagnate and devolve.

4 weeks later
#7708 1 year ago

I'm not sure why anyone is arguing over emissions, emissions and carbon credits are a scam basically, they used to be fine but have been corrupted to the point of being worthless. If people really cared about emissions we'd build way more nuclear plants but we're not. Bitcoin uses a crapload of energy for what it currently does (basically nothing currently) but possibly in the future that might pay off. I've been buying more because I'm starting to think there is a higher and higher chance of it going past its previous highs in the next year or two because if this past year didn't do in Michael Saylor, it doesn't appear anything will, and that is what would have pushed Bitcoin into crash territory. Right now the average person is getting hurt by it due to increased energy bills way more than they're being helped by it.

Believe in it? No. Think it uses too much energy? Yep. Think it's going higher? Yep. There are just too many people hoarding and the supply getting cut in half will only make that worse. Plus if the price doesn't rise 1/2 the miners will go under when the amount gets cut.

I'm just looking at it as a very high beta stock with a huge upside and downside potential, and as such it makes sense to allocate a small percentage of my investments towards it. Doesn't pan out? Well at least I don't have to listen about it anymore, lol, might be worth it. I'm doing Eth too along with it, as it's even higher beta and now features artificial scarcity too.

#7714 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Microstrategy and El Salvador are both in the green overall and both are in much better places. Microstrategy added some high equity backing in their stock portfolio. El Salvador took in a lot of tourism dollars and they’ve eradicated a large portion of their crime at the same time. A net positive for both entities.
I think more ppl are moving into crypto because our fed and the government are destroying our dollars. When it boils down to it what is more trustworthy, mathematical code or policies written by people in power? What Bitcoin does really well is transfers value openly without the need for any counterparties.

I don't think El Salvador's tourism and crime is related to bitcoin very much, they had a huge year long crackdown on crime that's made it a better place to visit. Microstrategy is just a leveraged bet that bitcoin is going to more valuable, if it isn't the business fails. There's no game changing either place.

People are into crypto because they think they're going to get rich. That's it. There's the narrative about "decentralization" and "power to the people" but at the end of the day those are just narratives used to push an agenda for the biggest holders like Microstrategy. So instead of the top 1% controlling 30% of the overall money like now, we'll just have the top .01% controlling 27% like bitcoin. Sounds great, even more wealth concentrated at the top than before. Does moving to that sound better for the everyday person, where even more wealth is at the top? It's just nonsense in my opinion. Cross border transfers to me is like the one use case where I think it makes sense and where I think it has a future possibly, but any coin would work for that really, so there's not really any advantage there.

I just take it for what it is, a thing that people want to collect like LE pinballs, and it's worth holding because of the huge religious like following around it. People go crazy for it, like Apple, Telsa, etc. Might as well jump on board and see how far it will go, lol.

2 weeks later
#7779 11 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

El Salvador switched to buying one Bitcoin a day starting Nov…they did buy a bunch before though and kept buying.
https://decrypt.co/114897/el-salvador-start-buying-1-bitcoin-every-day-says-president-bukele?amp=1
Soon their volcano power mine will open.

I'm not even sure why they're still buying since it's been a failure in their country. Usage is declining, not increasing, less than 2% transactions now.

#7783 11 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Interesting argument of if it is a failure or not. Hasn’t even been 2 years since they adopted it as legal tender. So jury is out atm.
Usage is down since the pilot program launched were every Salvadoran was given a voucher of free Bitcoin. Most cashed out and moved on with their life spiking usage.
Here are the positive
Increased remittances: El Salvador is heavily reliant on remittances, with about 20% of its GDP coming from money sent by Salvadorans living abroad. Bitcoin's adoption may help reduce the fees and processing times associated with traditional remittances.
Attracting foreign investment: El Salvador's decision to embrace Bitcoin attract cryptocurrency investors who are interested in exploring business opportunities in the country. El Salvador will grant ppl citizenship by investing 100k usd in their economy, buy a house or business etc. Currently they are heavily incentivizing business and people to relocate there quite the opposite as US imo.
Travel and infrastructure:
Travel since the adoption of btc as legal tender travel has dramatically increased. Boosting local small businesses and infrastructure. Before they adopted btc it was very low on countries I would want visit (and I spent a month in Nicaragua) now it’s pretty high up there.
While they may be down in usd terms like the Costco hotdog, the draw maybe worth the costs. And it is quite possible the value could exceed their costs in. It also allows El Salvador to not be reliant on the usd which is probably the biggest selling point.
Negatives:
The country is run by a dictatorship.
A good read
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/el-salvador-has-unexpected-benefit-from-bitcoin-adoption

I think the goal was to get the population to use it, and that's not really happening. Usage is falling, and they're not even using it that much to do international payments (126 million of 7 billion). I guess my point is, if it was really solving people's problems, they would latched onto it and usage would be increasing. If it was truly something groundbreaking for the population (like ChatGPT) then you'd see it ramp up in use as well. That just leads me to believe that in real transaction use, it's not providing a better user experience than they currently have, which would indicate it being mostly unsuccessful.

2 months later
#7833 9 months ago

The 92.5% argument is really weird...because if you're arguing for it from a 'use' perspective, that makes it seem terrible. But from a scarcity perspective, it sounds great. It's like if you said when people first came to America, 92.5% of the land has been claimed already...well sure, that last 7.5% is going to be pretty scarce, but the fact that one dude out of 300 million own all of texas isn't a great case for it being put to a good 'use' and seems even more inequitable than stuff is today.

5 months later
#7963 4 months ago

The one thing I’m wondering is if the demand for bitcoin will stay as high if it no longer has the highest likelihood to outperform. Like even though it has doubled this year, there are quite a few stocks that have outperformed it. I own it as an asymmetric holding that can outperform the regular market by a large margin possibly, if that starts to no longer happen (if the performance only equals the regular market or o ly slightly higher) I will have a lot less reasons to hold it, like I would switch to something like TQQQ for extra asymmetric performance. If bitcoin becomes big enough that it can’t 3x or 4x every few years, it may become less desirable.

#7965 3 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

My personal opinion (as a Bitcoin bull), but I think it will be a while, and be priced in the high 6 figures, or even low millions, before Bitcoin slows down to "market average" performance. I could be wrong.

I just wonder how long it will be before the law of large numbers starts to drag on its performance. Once things get above that trillion dollar market cap it gets really hard to increase in value at a high rate.

#7967 3 months ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

All alts are the attack on Bitcoin.

Jesus Christ you're so wrong when it comes to BTC.

Well that would be nice since I own a decent amount, lol.

But before you outright dismiss me, the law of large numbers is why Warren Buffett can't find anything to buy. Growing a business from 1 to 2 to 10 million is very reasonable, but once you start getting into the billions/trillions it gets harder and harder to move the needle. Look at Amazon, from 2013 to 2018 they like 4.5x'd, from 2018 to 2023 they didn't even 2x...company struggled to expand as they'd already taken over most of the market.

Bitcoin could run into the same issue eventually. I don't know where that would be.

#7969 3 months ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

Absolute scarcity. Study harder.

Then why don't LE's go to 100k since they're so scarce? Same reason as everything else that's scarce, as the price rises it prices out the buyers and lessens demand.

For Bitcoin to reach a million, it would have to go from 1% of the stock market total value to 25%...that's a lot of money. Basically it means that it would have to be worth more than google, amazon, apple, facebook, nvidia, microsoft, and telsa combined.

#7971 3 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That example doesn’t work, Pinball LE’s aren’t scarce. They make more every few months. Bitcoin is fixed… won’t be more than 21million.

There's only 500 LE's of like Ghostbusters, they aren't making anymore. How does that not pass the limited test? They're making other LE's (just like they're making other crypto's) but that doesn't change the amount of that particular LE (or Bitcoin).

Mark to market accounting rules are going to make it very hard for companies to hold it. Tesla had some (not sure if they still do) but it was causing their earnings report to go wonky. Berkshire has the same issue due to the amount of stock they hold. Most companies don't want that in their earnings. If companies haven't bought gold for reserves, it's highly unlikely they would ever buy bitcoin.

#7973 3 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Bitcoin controls the entire crypto market.

50% of the value but only 6% of the volume. 6% volume does not speak to controlling the crypto market. Value wise yes, usage, no. Similar to saying Tesla controls the entire automotive market, it's worth 50% of the entire automotive market but only has 4% of the sales. Does Tesla control the entire car market? Food for thought.

#7976 3 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Can't compare pinball machines to a new form of money...it's apples and oranges. Can't compare companies to Bitcoin either...again, way too different. Bitcoin (by market cap) will be larger than all of those companies combined...someday. When? I have no idea...but its a one way street for BTC's value over time. It will flip gold's market cap. My pure guess...that could happen either this halving cycle...or the next (2028-29).

Didn't you lose a bet on Bitcoin hitting 100k like 2 or 3 years ago?

I'm just saying there's a limit on how high something can go no matter how much demand there is because your buyers run out of money. Doesn't matter whether it's stocks, gold, cars, pinball machines, etc, it eventually reaches a ceiling. Most people are buyers in this thread at $40k, are they buyers at $400k? When you get that high, the upside gets so limited that people start to bail for better alpha. Like if it got to a million, what more upside would it have?

I think there's asymmetric upside to bitcoin which is why I own it, but I'm also realistic on how large it can actually grow here unless some sort of dollar crisis occurs. A 2x to 4x gain from here over the next 2 years seems realistic as a possibility. Interest rates are too high for high leverage (plus no fake money from exchanges) so some of the nonsense that was going on the last spike won't happen this time...but that also means the move up will probably be more under control.

There may be higher upside in the crypto's that actually serve a transactional purpose eventually if there's some sort of income generated from owning them. They're smaller so they have more room to run.

#7979 3 months ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I don't think that has any relivince at all on the price of Bitcoin and quite honestly is a cheapshot.
I am will to bet you bitcoin will hit 100k

I'm not sure how it's a cheap shot, everyone (literally everyone) in this thread is saying I'm completely off base currently by worrying about the law of large numbers and that bitcoin is going to a million rather soon. I was just pointing out that 2 or 3 years ago 100k was a 'given' and that it didn't pan out...and then there was the NFT thing in this thread that also imploded. And I was raked over the coals for saying that staking didn't make much sense when the asset you're staking for 6% can move 6% in a single day plus you have other risk from the exchanges (plus you're illiquid), and I think for the most part that has played out as well.

This thread is actually making me reconsider my bullish position in the asset (short term)...when everyone is 110% bullish, usually that marks some sort of a top, like everyone is front running the ETF approval. Maybe it's nothing though and this group does not represent the market as a whole. I do think bitcoin will hit 100k in the next couple years barring some sort of financial crisis. But being so bullish that you can't consider the alternatives is generally not a great idea, it's how people get wiped out usually (like Saylor was close to last year, one more move down and he was in serious trouble).

2 months later
#8113 47 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So, where are we in the current cycle? If you think Bitcoin is too expensive here at $66-67k...lol.

I think we could double from here unless there's some sort of banking issue. I'm just waiting for it to break $70k before pushing any more money in here, I can't tell if it's going to break $70k here soon or retrace back to $50k for a little bit before recovering and shooting higher. So my buy zones are $50k or above $70k. I did add some on the climb here the past month.

1 week later
#8138 40 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Can't blame you ...I think that's what most people will do. Again, my personal recommendation would be Fidelity's.

Does it really matter though in the end that much? Because if Coinbase were to get hacked and lose everything that's in the ETF's, those ETF's would go to zero, Bitcoin would probably drop 50% to 75% rather quickly, and the result would probably be the outright ban of all crypto trading in the US due to the 100 billion or more going up in smoke.

1 week later
#8170 27 days ago

I don't see anywhere close to a million by 2030 unless the s&p has like doubled or tripled by then. It's just a large numbers problem, it's just not possible without other things blowing out along with it (or some sort of thing with unbacked stable tokens artificially raising the price). 20 trillion market cap would make it 1/2 the size of the s&p 500, which means that it would be worth 50% of every dollar people have put into their 401ks, pensions, etc...it would have to be 1/3 of their portfolio on average with the other 2/3rd's stocks. That doesn't seem realistic at all unless the s&p has grown large enough so it's only like 10% or so. To get to 1 million you'd need all that money that's in 401k's from baby boomers to shift to bitcoin, that just doesn't seem likely in large volumes, they're going to be taking it safe at that point. Basically, whatever money has poured into Bitcoin the past 10 years? You'd have to like 15x that. ETF flows would have to be 10x to 20x what they are now.

It's not just a bitcoin problem, it's any asset that gets that large, you run out of buyers that can actually move the needle. Like Nvidia is almost the biggest company now, it doesn't really have anywhere else to go...hard to go much higher in market cap. I mean even pinball ran into this, machines got too high and they ran out of buyers.

I could see a burst to $500k possibly by 2030, depending on what happens this cycle...I'm assuming this cycle hits around $200k at some point for a short while before crashing back down. If it doesn't reach that, then I don't think $500k is possible either.

To give a comparison, the biggest ETF right now is the SPY, the index, it's 500 billion in size. You'd need like the bitcoin ETF to be way bigger than that (maybe 10x?) to get to a million per bitcoin.

#8174 24 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I agree with your $200k call this cycle... although $300k+ wouldn't shock me. Under $200k tells me this will play out even slower than I was thinking.
Totally disagree on what it will take for Bitcoin to get to $1M. Bitcoin is not a stock. It think it likely flips gold's market cap in the neighborhood of $500k (because it will simultaneously be demonetizing gold on its way there).
At that stage (if not prior to) you're looking at nation states and central banks getting involved.

I don't know what the motivation for a central bank would be to adopt a currency that competes with their own would be. Gold works because at some point in the past 50 to 100 years ago it shifted from being money (minted coins) to more of a reserve asset. Bitcoin's story changes all the time, first it was going to be a currency (until slow transaction speed caused that to be no longer feasible) and now the story has shifted to be more of a store of value (while some people still and push the transaction part). I just don't see why a central bank would pick Bitcoin over gold unless they were trying to speculate. Because gold:

is proven
is safer to hold in your own country
can't be hacked
doesn't depend on a network, an emp isn't going to destroy it

It's terrible for transactions (gold) but that's not what central banks use it for. It needs to be able to survive for decades/possibly centuries. You know gold is going to be here in 100 years, but Bitcoin seems unlikely due to computing advances, which is why it's not suitable for central banks...they can't have an asset that's supposed to be backing their currency have the risk of going to zero in 20 to 30 years (or fluctuating up and down so much). It's much the same reason that some things are better suited for loans than others. Real estate is pretty steady and it's not going to fluctuate more than 5% to 10% a year most of the time, so it's easy to make loans on it. Unless you're Saylor, you're not getting loans on assets that can down 75% in a year, and you can't have your reserve asset going down 75% in a year either on a constant basis.

And the argument might be, well if it gets to 500k the volatility will go way down and that's when it would be appropriate. If that's the case, who is going to want to own it in the general public? We're all just speculating on it going higher faster than stocks/other assets, and the second it acts like gold/slow appreciation everyone is going to drop it like a rock as you'd be better of holding stocks as they go up faster than gold usually.

Like if this halving it only gets to a 2x gain from last cycle, there's going to be less and less reasons to own it honestly because levered stock things like TQQQ would start to outperform it. It's valuable because of the asymmetric return profile to me and that's it, soon as that goes away then I'd have no reason to own it because stocks would do just as well.

#8176 24 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You still don't understand what you own?
Gold is "safer to hold" ... what?
"Bitcoin can be hacked"...what?
"An EMP can take down Bitcoin" okay...I actually lol'd at that one.
Hard to debate when one side doesn't even understand what they're debating. I'm not saying your dumb...that's clearly not the case...but you are certainly still ignorant of what is and isn't possible with the Bitcoin protocol.
And I'm not going to write a book here....that's already been done; numerous times.

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough, I don't know. But it's the same risk as anything else, the risk isn't in Bitcoin itself, it's in the storing and infrastructure to prevent bad actors in your own government (or outside hackers) from stealing it. EMP is one of those kind of risks that would have to be taken into consideration.

Like for instance, my biggest risks with my stock accounts and coinbase isn't that they're going to be hacked and lose everything, it's more that someone will target me and get my login info. It would be the same for other governments, it's only a matter of time before someone inside or outside causes an issue with the security of it. It's way easier for someone from another country to target my possessions via computer than to actually break into my lockbox at my bank and take them. My old company was targeted with ransomware and the entire company of 10k people was taken offline, they could do the same thing to a small countries government if the incentive was there to do it.

The ability to transact reasonably quickly from one place to another is what makes not suitable for a reserve asset, to high of risk, even if it's less than 1%. It's why gold and oil back almost everything.

1 week later
#8204 13 days ago

I felt the first part of this video was very insightful. If you don’t know George, he’s a guy who’s into crypto, gold, etc having a plan b. They went to Argentina planning on using bitcoin and gold to do commerce…let’s just say it didn’t go well. Kind of shows the difference between theory and practice. Some highlights:

Bitcoin wasn’t useable at all, nobody wanted it
Gold coins weren’t really useable either, they were more interested in jewelry
Stable coins were the most desired crypto

So even when things are really bad with inflation and in a place you would think might use gold and bitcoin they don’t. So if your thoughts are that if we go to major currency crisis that gold and crypto will save you, it may not at all.

https://www.youtube.com/live/Jd-vvrPW9YI?si=gVXc6uwTXq9URk0w

#8207 12 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Pure cringe. He's one person with an extremely small sample size...not scientific at all. Proved absolutely nothing...except that Bitcoin is not accepted everywhere, which, we already knew. Bitcoin is up 550% over the last 6 months vs the Argentine peso. It's only up 162% vs USD over that same timeframe.

And it’s essentially flat over the past 3 years…you can frame anything with a biased timeframe. That wasn’t the point. I just thought it was interesting that a guy who actually lives in Columbia and is all for this stuff (gold, bitcoin) ran into a wall trying to use it in a place you would think would have the highest adoption of anywhere. This isn’t a zing to bitcoin in particular, it’s to all other alternative assets like gold and silver as well.

Now if he was against those things and tried it, that would be your biased reporting. But here’s a guy who wants that stuff which gives his thoughts a little more weight than I would normally give as he’s pro gold pro bitcoin.

#8209 12 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Bitcoin, gold & silver are NOT currencies....they are stores of value; one better than the others. They are not for buying your coffee...anywhere.
That might change over time for Bitcoin...but it will be a long time before that happens.

Well, the question is, if those things are a store of value, why were they having such a hard time ‘cashing them in’? They couldn’t get the pawn shops to take their gold coins, they wanted jewelry. They said they would have starved if they wouldn’t have had backup money.

I guess it was kind of eye opening for me personally, since I have a lot of silver coins in case of some weird financial crisis, this kind of tells me they might be worthless and not the hedge that all the ‘experts’ claim that precious metals are in a crisis.

1 week later
#8241 5 days ago

This is just a random question because I honestly don't know, but why does Tether's market cap not act like other stable coins? Other than one drop in 2022 it's basically been straight up, while the others go up and down in a more random fashion. I would think it would fluctuate up and down based upon buying and selling, instead it just goes up, mostly in big gaps.

I've attached the graphs for USDC and USDT below over the past year. Theoretically they should be very similar I would think, kind of in the same way the DOW, S&P, and Nasdaq are all pretty similar.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8248 4 days ago

That's kind of what I mean...just arbitrary jumps by a billion? It just seems nonsensical to me, but I don't know the inner workings. To me an exchange or other place would have to 'order' a billion tether and hand over a billion dollars to make it make sense. Is that what is happening?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi?tu=taylor34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.