(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,273 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Pdxmonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8049 (resized).png
IMG_8038 (resized).png
IMG_8034 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #438 Bitcoin gain loss chart by month from 2011 to Feb 2021 Posted by Pdxmonkey (3 years ago)

Post #946 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (3 years ago)

Post #3247 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixtyfourbits.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

306 posts in this topic match your search for posts by sixtyfourbits. You are on page 1 of 2.
#7 3 years ago

I've been watching crypto for a few months now. I wanted to understand it better before jumping in, but now I feel like I missed the boat, and don't want to jump in while everything is so hyped. For someone new, its hard to know if now is a good time to buy, or if I should be waiting for a pullback. Kudos to all of you that have been in the crypto game for a while now, its nice to see you guys getting rewarded for your belief in crypto.
The two I have been watching the most have been Bitcoin and Cardano/Ada. As much as I want to join the party, I will likely stay on the sidelines for now. Its hard to buy when things were so much cheaper just a few months ago. For example, Ada was .02 a coin 6months ago, then .10 in January, and now its .69 today.

#9 3 years ago

Well, I did it. I bought into Ada. I only bought about 1/5 of what I would like to spend, so if it dips down I can buy as it goes.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I was fortunate to buy a chunk at .42. I don't have a ton in crypto right now but even the money I do have in crypto, I didnt put all my eggs into one basket. Diversify, be it crypto or stocks is always the way to go. But ADA is doing great for me. I bought XLM over the weekend in a small chunk too, I think it's another one that a lot of people are loading up right now in the .37 range. Primed to pop in the near future is my guess. But it's crypto, maybe it'll tank lol. We shall see.
To note, I don't buy crypto just to buy it. I like to research any that I'm interested to see if there is any meat to the currency - what's the purpose, what is their future plan for use, what niche of crypto problems does it solve, etc.

Nice! I started watching it closely at .35, and just kept hoping for a pullback. Eventually I realized it’s upward pattern was very strong, so I simply bought in a bit at this point, and will buy more if it does dip. Cardano has a lot of exciting things coming in the next few months, so I’m excited to see where this project goes. I bought it more for that than to just be a storage of funds.

#22 3 years ago

I'm currently buying Ada on NDAX Inc. its a Canadian company out of Alberta. I mostly chose it as my cousin has been using it for years, and he helped me get setup. it also allows me to etransfer money to them, then use that cash for the transactions. So I don't have to worry about them having all my banking info, or me having to have btc to buy ada. I will likely buy through there for this month, and then move my ada as one big chunk to my ledger (my friend had a few on order, so I just bought one from him, to save time). I like the idea of staking ada, so I might try that in the future, but right now this is my current plan.

#82 3 years ago

Cardano/Ada is up again. So far I've bought in twice. I'm really hoping for a dip to buy more at a better price, but with great news/implementation coming late February and early March, I'm kind of doubting it dips too low in the next while. Fingers crossed I'm wrong though.

At least I'm in it now though, and not just staring from the sidelines.

#87 3 years ago

Right now I'm quite big on bitcoin and Cardano, but does anyone have any other crypto they feel is worth reading up on? I think this is an exciting time for Cardano, and am wondering if there are any other crypto/projects that are in similar stages with exciting times/projects ahead. I feel I should look at diversifying my buying a bit, but want to read up on projects before buying in. Plus I'm really green and the more I can learn, the better.

#96 3 years ago

I think I’m done buying Ada for now, unless it gives us a nice big dip to buy on. I have about 1/3 of my fun budget spent, with enough coins now to feel I’m part of the fun.
Thanks to everyone for being a part of this thread, I look forward to seeing what 2021 brings for everyone.

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm striking out this morning. Bought a little bit of BTC to send to Binance since I'm not yet verified for USD deposits yet. The transaction cleared after about 2 hours and now I find out that there isn't a BTC / MATIC pair. So I guess I'm going to have to sell my BTC and then buy MATIC. Ugh. What a pain the ass.
I'm going to be out of money once I'm done with all the fees!
There is an ADA/BTC pair though. Hummm.....I haven't done much research on ADA. I like the premise of MATIC, but it scares me a little that they are based in India and with the recent news surrounding a potential ban in India, I'm a little concerned. On the ADA side, I don't like the entire 45 billion coin number. That's a lot of coins!

After you recommended GRT I started reading a bit up on it last night, but didn't buy in yet. Apparently you gotta jump in fast if you want to catch the jumps! Its nice to see it's doing well for you today.

ADA should see alot of positives come its way in the next few months. It will handle smart contracts soon. It should be listed on more exchanges soon. There's talks of Cardano handling gov't contracts in Africa soon. You can stake ADA to make more ADA. And a few other things I'm forgetting at this time. Plus the owner is a spaceballs fan, so that's cool hahaha.
I'm not sure where it will go this year, but the next few months should be interesting to see play out.

#114 3 years ago

and the 45 Billion ADA turned me off a little.

I'm quite enjoying this thread as I'm learning a lot, but I have a lot to learn still.
Question: When I got into researching ADA, I too noticed the large market cap, and was slightly concerned. But if Cardano is more akin to Ethereum than Bitcoin, and Ethereum doesn't have a market cap at all, wouldn't that make Cardano's market cap decent in comparison? I might be comparing apples to oranges on here, so please feel free to say if my logic is backwards on this one.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

I think ADA first has to be completely decentralized in order to meet the Coinbase requirements.
Still a few weeks away.[quoted image]

I'm ok with this. I'd like a bit more time to buy more before it hits coinbase and that crowd jumps in too.
I believe March 26th, 2021 is the set date for the network to become 100% decentralized.

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

You know this but I think the reason it's pumping now is this.
https://www.crypto-news-flash.com/cardano-iog-reveals-worlds-largest-blockchain-deployment-in-africa/
Then it should pump when the smart contracts are implemented.
And then it'll pump when Coinbase adds it.
Or that's the hope anyway...

This was one of the main reasons I really wanted to get my foot in the door with Cardano now. The fact it is a government contract of that suggested size, I feel is not only huge for Cardano, but crypto as a whole.

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Would happily read opinions/insights on various coins. I know there are some smart folks on here...

I wasn’t going to post this here, as I don’t want to be seen as just a cardano/Ada pusher. But if anyone wants to know more about what Cardano is currently working on, its creator, Charles posted this half hour video today talking about some of its projects and goals for the next few months:

#180 3 years ago

The last few days, it’s felt like things have sagged a bit in the evenings/nights, so I’m wondering if something influenced the Asian market to sell a fair bit just now. Hopefully it’s a blip and not something bigger.

#182 3 years ago

My problem was that I was a few hours early with my Cardano purchase.

I bought a bit at .83 yesterday, and within the hour watched it hit .72. I should’ve bought more then, but didn’t know where or how far it was going, so I just watched instead. It’s back up to .88 now though, so its recovering well.

#184 3 years ago

I’m no expert, but as a fellow crypto newbie I figured I’d share my approach to jumping in.
Right now I have about 1/3 of my play budget put in. I wanted to put more in, but I’m also trying to pace myself. I might put up to 1/2 in, but I’ll try to stop myself from much more than that. Right now it’s an exciting time, but most crypto is way up in price compared to where it usually sits at. Maybe these prices will stay. Maybe they’ll keep going up. Or maybe they’ll drop back down (hopefully not to the extent of last time). I want to make sure I have enough play money left in my pocket for whatever the future holds. If cardano drops down to .10, I want to be able to buy at that level too. And not just be watching at that point.
FOMO on an upswing is hard to push aside though.

#229 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I love Cardano/ADA! It’s projected to go upwards of $9 this year! Plus roughly 6% for staking rewards paid in $ADA every 5 days(Epoch), can’t beat it!

I love the optimism! I was thinking/hoping it would hit around $3 this year, but I’ll gladly take $9 instead lol.
My plan is to stake it for the long haul too. It’s really easy to do and is rewarding. Plus I really like Cardano’s drive and plans for the future.

#236 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Curious, since it appears my final "authorization" will never be completed on Binance, what is everyone using to buy Cardarno?? I use Coinbase and would like something similar where I don't have to jump through hoops to purchase crypto. Would like something I can just link my bank account to and purchase. Don't want to be required to buy BTC, then use it to buy other crypto on a different brokerage etc, or use some high fee middle man site etc.

I use NDAX and its been great. I don't have to have my bank account linked, and I don't have to buy with BTC. I just send Canadian funds through an etransfer from my bank to my NDAX account, and from there use the funds to buy as I wish. It's the only exchange I've used though, so maybe its not as great as others. I'm happy with it though.

#257 3 years ago

Taken from Twitter, I saw this earlier today:
“A mysterious entity has deployed 15 randomly named #Cardano pools with 0 pledge and about 32M ₳ staked in each (ready for k=1000), adding almost half a billion to total staked $ada.“

I’m not sure who it is, but there’s rumours it could be binance, coinbase, greyscale, or maybe even one of the rumoured African countries. I’m still green to crypto but this big of a move seems pretty exciting for cardano, and it’s fun to speculate who’s behind it and when they’ll make themselves known.

#267 3 years ago

Gene Simmons is hopping on the Cardano / Ada train!

C0BE90E7-A972-472B-85B4-4968A685DDA4 (resized).jpegC0BE90E7-A972-472B-85B4-4968A685DDA4 (resized).jpeg

#290 3 years ago

In regards to Ada, if buying in around this point, as a good chunk of us have been, I agree that 6x is a lot more realistic that what some folks out there are predicting. But the folks who had been buying it for the last two years at .02 - .03 a coin, they’re going to do really well if it hits that level. And I’m happy for them, as they believed and bought into cardano when it was down in the dumps. Even the folks who bought in at .10 - .20 will be nicely rewarded.

Ada is my first venture into crypto. I more so chose it as I believe it has an exciting and very useful future. Also, it’s ability to stake and gain more Ada was very appealing. I need something like that to help me be able to leave it for 5-8 years, knowing it’s silently, slowly adding for me.

I sold my super Mario pinball machine recently to a good friend. I still have 5 pins in the basement, so I’m not really feeling like I’m missing out by not having the sixth. So I’ve just invested that money into cardano. If I lose it, I’ll be ok. If it goes up 6x, I’ll buy a new pin and take the family on a trip or something. Though I do want to try holding it for at least 5-8 years. And if the price dips low, I still have enough play money to average the overall coin cost down.

I’ve been buying over the last couple weeks. I think I currently sit at 4500-4600 Ada, with an average price of about .80us per coin.

With all this said, I do believe Bitcoin is still the safest coin to be buying. It’s just personally for me, I’m more excited about cardano and what the future might hold for it.

#291 3 years ago

I should also say that I’m not a new guy coming into crypto thinking I’m going to for sure 5, 6, 10x my investment. I think cardano has a bright year ahead of it, but I’d be very happy to even double my value, and that new value hold for the year. Though I also realize it could plummet, which is why I’ve left some cash on the sidelines to buy as the year goes.

#293 3 years ago

Cardanos flying now! $1.08us last I looked but it’s moving fast.
It’s been a great day for most crypto really.

#308 3 years ago

Ouch. I took a hell of a beating this weekend.

Looks like all crypto did. Any idea what caused it? It can’t completely be from Musk tweeting that eth and Bitcoin seem a bit high can it?

#319 3 years ago

I bought more Ada on the dip, and it seems to be recovering a bit in value now. Only about 400, but it helped average out a bit that I bought above $1 in value. I don’t think I’ll be buying anymore for a while though. I was hoping to buy before the 24th’s Mary fork and before March 1st gogeun era start, but I’ll likely sit pat now.

Also I’m handling this dip way better than I did when I tried my hand at stocks. Maybe I believe in cardano more than I did those stock companies though.

#321 3 years ago

“Binance has temporarily suspended withdrawals of $ETH and Ethereum-based tokens due to high network congestion.”

That’s not good lol.

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Bitcoin is still up 8% for the week, I don't understand the panic. It easily swings 5-10% in a day, if you've been investing in it for over a month or two, you are still way up and should be getting used to the swings. These are buying opportunities in crypto!

I’ve been looking at it from a weekly viewpoint too. In that perspective cardano went from .87 to 1.00. Plus it’s scheduled for a fair bit of good news this week. I’m not sweating too much yet lol.

#331 3 years ago

Cardano is back to 1.07. Seems to be recovering quite nicely from this morning.

#333 3 years ago

549821DA-85B1-4161-A4BD-52488336EC0D (resized).png549821DA-85B1-4161-A4BD-52488336EC0D (resized).png

I’m not on kraken, and I don’t trust twitter, but is this true?

#335 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

No, definitely not true.

Thanks. I couldn’t see that being true.
I read more and someone said that there was some auto stop loss sales triggered when Ada and ether hit these prices on the site earlier today. I’m still new to all this so I got confused if it was even possible. Glad it didn’t.
Also I dont use kraken but was still curious about the tweet.

#340 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You don’t get rich overnight. HODL isn’t a “meme” it is a mentality.
If you check prices every day and every hour, weak hands may get psyched out and sell for a loss.
If you are a long-term buyer and pick a date in your head, these fluctuations are meaningless. Say you bought January 2020 and said “I will hold for a year and sell”
You would have paid ~8k for one Bitcoin and sold for around ~30-39k USD in Jan 2021.
It’s all about how you look at it! Remember it’s not “lost” till you sell! (DON’T SELL)

I set my goal for 8 years. Basically two more Bitcoin halvings. Also I find it’s helping me hold when I can stake my Ada and earn more Ada by doing so. That’s an extra incentive.

#343 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I fucked up. I hadn't even looked since buying and the 5 minutes I check were in the middle of what looked like a free fall. I thought I could sell and buy back in. Ended up selling the floor, idiotic move by me.

Don’t beat yourself up too badly, it happens. I did the exact same thing with some stocks I had bought about half a year ago. I bought what I thought was a low price. Then they just kept slowly creeping down. It’s hard to see a loss and not just cut the losses at a set point. I chalked it up as a learning experience, and it really has helped me now when I’m buying crypto.

#351 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

You could see the flash on other exchanges but nothing to the degree on Kraken, ADA dropped momentarily to $.85 on Coinbase.
[quoted image]

I saw it hit .85 on NDAX too, but I couldn’t get my order in when it did. Likely way too much traffic and orders going through. I did get to buy a bit on the dip though, just not that low sadly.

#356 3 years ago

Is this all because Elon musk said he thinks Bitcoin and ether are a bit over priced right now? Last night I saw Ada hit .87, but it’s back at .97. Considering what some coins are doing, I’m ok with it hovering around a dollar

#365 3 years ago

For those of you that have been in crypto since 2017 or before. How does this run feel compared to the run in 2017? I’m not suggesting this will end in a crash or not. And either way, I plan to hold what I’ve bought. I’m more curious if it feels the same, or if the dips and resistances feel different, if it feels different due to more institutional support, etc. I wasn’t in crypto for the last spike, so I am just curious to hear about it.

#377 3 years ago

Cardano/Ada should be ok this week. They have events on the 24th and 1st, and also said the Africa deal would be announced in February. Lately the price has been dipping at night, so if it hits a decent low tonight I’ll be buying a bit more Ada.

#379 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I started dabbling in crypto over the last week and am quite frustrated with the hidden fee's that are tied to either withdrawals or exchanges.
For example, today I transferred $64 worth of BTC from NiceHash over to Exodus so I could convert that to ADA and stake it. I already had 327 ADA in that wallet, so I wanted to add to it. Once the BTC reached Exodus, my current BTC holding was below the threshold to be enable a BTC > ADA exchange. Okay fine, I converted my 327 ADA > BTC, now having beyond the BTC threshold to convert everything back to ADA.
Well, the final exchange left me with only 345 ADA from my original 327 ADA, or roughly $25 worth of ADA from an original $64. WTF!
Did I just fuck up by exchanging the BTC while it had dipped further than ADA, making an unfavorable exchange, or did I just get fleeced with exchange fees?
If someone could help me work out a more cost effective method of exchanging and transferring, it would sure help a lot.

With you being from Alberta, have you used NDAX before? That’s what I’m using to buy Ada. It’s been alright. It’s nice because I just etransfer what I want to spend, buy Ada directly in Canadian funds, and then transfer out every couple weeks to my ledger and then stake the Ada. I believe each buying transaction costs 1 Ada as a fee, and it costs 8 Ada to remove to the ledger per transaction. So I wait until I have a couple hundred to a couple thousand Ada to transfer, and it cuts the fee % down nicely.

#381 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I had no idea, I’ll have a look at that, thank you!

No problem! It’s an Alberta based exchange, that’s why I just wondered if you had heard of them. It’s the first and only exchange I’ve ever used, so they might be terrible and I just don’t know any better haha. But so far I’m happy with it.

#407 3 years ago

I thought with MicroStrategy buying $1 billion more worth of bitcoin, and with Square buying another $170 million in bitcoin, that bitcoin would've had a bit better of a day today. But I'm also green to this so maybe crypto doesn't immediately react the same way that stocks do to news.

#413 3 years ago

Got the last random purchase of Ada done today. I’m now switching over to regular biweekly buys. I’m excited to see what March 1st brings, should be an exciting month.

#418 3 years ago

Cardano/Ada is going on a nice climb this morning. 1.17 at the time of posting this.

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I doubled up on my Cardano yesterday morning.

I added about 250 more ada yesterday evening, before I transferred them off the exchange and into a staking pool. I have about 6030 ada now. I bought about half of those in the .70-.80 range. So while I didn't get in too early, I'm just happy I eventually did jump in. I did keep $2000 cash for now, to use for smaller biweekly buys, or if things dip hard again I can average the price down a bit.

#423 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Crap I missed the ADA boat. I'll wait for another pull back to add to my position I guess lol.

If you got in at .42 cents, I think you did better than most of us did.
I think March 1st will be a big day for Ada, but if there's a dip over the weekend you might be able to buy at a nice price before then.

#429 3 years ago

50426CC2-C4BB-4196-9517-84248393FA11 (resized).png50426CC2-C4BB-4196-9517-84248393FA11 (resized).png

This news might be helping prop Ada up today.

Also, I’m very excited about Ada/cardano, but if I’m posting about it to the point it’s annoying, feel free to say haha. I’ll try to calm my posting down.

#434 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Id like to buy ada but its not available on coinbase... and i already have a coinbase and paypal account i dont want another! I tried to buy sanp on fidelity to get some exposure but they dont list it

On twitter I always see a ton of comments from people tagging coinbase to get ada listed to the exchange. I think when it eventually does get listed it will see a nice bump in price and ownership. I'm guessing Ada will get listed after it becomes 100% decentralized. But that's just a guess.

#444 3 years ago

When you want to buy the dip, but your favorite crypto didn't get the dip memo like the rest:

crypto (resized).JPGcrypto (resized).JPG

#473 3 years ago

Anyone have their eye on anything today? I have a little spare cash laying around.
I was thinking maybe DOT, UNI or SNX. I have all three currently, with the largest stake in SNX. I have a little UNI and a little DOT already.

I was hoping to add to my Ada bag this weekend, but the price keeps rising on me. I might still add a little bit.

I wouldn’t mind picking up some hbar, but it’s not on the exchange I use and I don’t want to sign up for another exchange just for it.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on ripple/ xrp? Worth owning a bit?

#511 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

You can stake Cardano here. https://adalite.io/

This is what I use with my ledger to stake my cardano.

#521 3 years ago

Does anyone here own some singularityNET AGI? It’s one I think would be good to buy into, but I’d have to sign up for another exchange (likely binance).

#532 3 years ago

Ada is down a bit more today. I'm not buying at the moment, though I am happily still holding. I will buy more if it dips below $1 though. I like the idea of holding, staking and then forgetting about it for a while.

#538 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I like PolkaDot.
Upsides
Great growth potential.
Love the 12% staking.
New developments frequently.
Downsides
Complex system and can be difficult to work with.
Lots concepts and things in project status.
Tough competition.

12% staking is impressive! I'll have to read up on that.

#541 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Ada is down a bit more today. I'm not buying at the moment, though I am happily still holding. I will buy more if it dips below $1 though. I like the idea of holding, staking and then forgetting about it for a while.

I fibbed. I just bought more at 1.06. Will be interesting to see how low it goes before rebounding.

#551 3 years ago

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.coindesk.com/ethereum-improvement-proposal-1559-london-hard-fork%3famp=1

I’m quite new to crypto, but am curious what everyone thinks of this for ethereum. Does it solve their high transaction fees? Will it be catastrophic for miners? I’m just trying to understand if this is a big deal, if it’s a large positive move for ether, or if it is too early to tell how this affects things.

Edit: sounds like transaction fees will stay around the same, this just offers the ability to have more of a clear, set transaction cost. But miners will lose a lot of profit when this comes into play.

#555 3 years ago

If the miners are set to lose a fair bit of profit, and they move to mining other crypto in place of ethereum, will that have much of an effect on ethereum? I would think that it would, but I don’t know much about the mining aspect.

#574 3 years ago

That’s why I keep hoping for coinbase to list Ada. But for all I know that could be tomorrow, or two years from now.

#576 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Any reason why BTC is climbing that much again?
Will this create another pullback tomorrow?

I'm guessing its to do with the stimulus package getting passed. That should result in new funds flowing into crypto, while also slightly hurting the existing US dollar's value.

#594 3 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Any new thoughts on Cardano (ADA)? Seems really cheap right now.

I still think its an ok price to buy at. I'm doing small bi-weekly buys at this point.
I think on March 18th, Charles Hoskinson will deliver some more news about Cardano's Africa/Ethiopia deal, and that will generate some positive buzz for Ada. I'm quite green to crypto though, and March has been a pretty flat month so far, so who knows what direction Ada will actually go over the next while.

#596 3 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

I think cardano has unlimited potential, I'm still figuring out the nuances myself, but it should really take off next cycle, I plan to buy an hold with cardano,Vechain, and a few obscure coins

I too think that by the next bitcoin halving, Ada will have really established itself nicely. I'm trying not to get too overly bullish on it, as I feel alt coins are still a bit of a horse race type bet. But Ada is definitely the one I have my bets on.

I've been watching hbar and agi as well for about a month, and I wish the exchange I use carried them. I think they will continue to do well too.

#600 3 years ago

Seems to be a decent day for buying most crypto.

#614 3 years ago

I have no idea which way this will continue to go, so I have been buying in very small increments. I just bought 115 ada at 1.03. Those buys seem to scratch the itch, while still leaving me funds if it takes a big swing down. I too think that for Ada, once the stimulus money hits, and Charles unveils more about the Ethiopia deal on the 18/19, we should see a positive movement for Ada. but I could easily be wrong on that.

#619 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Since they dramatically lowered the cutoff of the stimulus, I don't think anywhere near as much stimulus is going to hit crypto or stocks. The 12 million adults they cut out are the same adults who probably have a bit of money to play around with in trading. I'd wager most people getting the stimulus under the new limits are in brackets that aren't going to invest it.

This is why forum conversations are great. I hadn’t realized that they adjusted the cutoff of the stimulus. That could be a decent game changer in how much of it goes into crypto. Thanks for sharing that info.

#635 3 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

ADA under a dollar, should have waited. will likely get more

I bought some more at 1.00. It’s back to 1.07, at least for now.
I should add that like many other here, I plan on holding for another Bitcoin halving or two, so I’m not too worried with ada’s current swings

#662 3 years ago

I only own Ada at this time, but I believe Bitcoin is still the top dog now, and will be for quite some time.
But to me they’re very different coins, on pretty much every aspect. Bitcoin is a store of value to me, and one that rises in value on a consistent basis. It has low market cap, so it’s value can rise to a very high level per coin. It has already shown to be the first crypto to be accepted by institutes, which is huge.
Ada is a Swiss Army knife of a coin, or will be at least once it’s fully developed. It can be used for hundreds of purposes. It has a high market cap, but it more so needs one for many of its future functions.
To me, Bitcoin is the now, and both are the future. both coins do very different things, and I fully expect both to be very important to crypto in the future.

#697 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’ve been using Ndax.io I didn’t do too much research, I just looked for Canadian options and picked them, no complaints so far it’s been simple to use.

I’ve really enjoyed using NDAX as well. My only small complaint is that they don’t have a ton of different coins available, but apparently that’s something they’re working on expanding soon. They do have Ada though, and that’s mostly what I was just after anyway.

#705 3 years ago

Looks like rumors of a potential ban on cryptocurrencies in India caused a bit of a price drop across most coins last night, though most are already rebounding back again.

#721 3 years ago

Looks like its starting to turn into a green day for most crypto now.
I believe I read that they're estimating anywhere from 24-40 billion dollars from the stimulus checks could be put into Crypto soon. I believe total stimulus amount is something crazy like 380 billion.

#723 3 years ago

I can see that view too. Maybe it will be a mix of flakey and long term holders. We’ll see I guess.
Hopefully I don’t jinx it, but cardano is up to 1.20. I bought a bit more last night at 1.02.

#726 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

ADA being added to Coinbase pro this week.
Congrats to anyone who got in close to $1

That will be huge if true. But it’s been teased and rumoured for a while. Is it official now?

#730 3 years ago

Rad!
I’m very green to crypto though, so now I need to go research what’s the difference between coinbase and coinbase pro. Still, seems like an awesome step forward.

#734 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Im only on coinbase so I cant hop on the wagon. ugh

If it’s on coinbase pro, that’s a good sign of it eventually coming to coinbase too though isn’t it? Hopefully sooner than later.

#756 3 years ago

Cardano has held its price jump from yesterday, so that strength is nice to see.

I noticed this morning that LINK had a nice jump too last night. Looking at it, I think its because of this:
Grayscale Investments is offering new trusts to invest specifically in five different cryptocurrencies
$BAT $LINK $MANA $FIL $LPT

#758 3 years ago

... LINK @ $0.48 ...

Wowza! Nicely done!

#775 3 years ago

Its turning out to be a decently green day across the board.

#780 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

We can take some guesses here.... $1.50? $1.60? Coinbase listing is an inevitable bump, I might use it for a quick trade as there are good odds it'll retrace a bit after the excitement.

It’s always fun to guess. I think at some point tomorrow we’ll hit 1.72 US
That might be a bit bullish, even though I think the coinbase pro listing will be huge. I think that, along with Charles hoskinson’s presentation at the blockchain Africa conference, will be a one-two combo that really gets people fired up on Ada. I think his presentation is pretty late into the night though, so maybe the effects of that don’t hit until Friday.

#797 3 years ago

It’s always fun to guess. I think at some point tomorrow we’ll hit 1.72 US
That might be a bit bullish, even though I think the coinbase pro listing will be huge. I think that, along with Charles hoskinson’s presentation at the blockchain Africa conference, will be a one-two combo that really gets people fired up on Ada. I think his presentation is pretty late into the night though, so maybe the effects of that don’t hit until Friday.

If the first five minutes is any indication, my prediction is going to be a little off haha.
I'm guessing this is a case of "buy the rumour and sell the news" currently for some.

#801 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Wasn't ADA supposed to go up?

simpsons.gifsimpsons.gif

I think it was just such a huge hype going in (about 40% over the past two days wasn't it?) that it resulted in some big sell-offs. I'm not too worried, I feel like it will correct itself nicely in the long run. But yeah, my 1.72 guess is looking very bullish at this point in the day haha.

#804 3 years ago

milking the cow (resized).jpgmilking the cow (resized).jpg

#818 3 years ago

With how fast and straight down the drops were, to me it looks like whales selling mass amounts at once. Which is kind of healthy for the long run. Ada sat at .02-.03 cents for so long, some people with good foresight accumulated very large bags of it. Not sure if they sold large amounts just to take profit, or if the timing suggests they wanted to negate the coinbase pro listing effect and keep the price down, or what.
I hold the view that Cardano is still in the very early stages of showing what it can do as a blockchain, so I'm happily holding for now. I want to say I'll hold for two more bitcoin halvings, but realistically lets aim for one and see where we go after that.

#829 3 years ago

Looks like Ada was just quietly added to Coinbase too. So now its on Coinbase and Coinbase pro.

#866 3 years ago

How's everyone feeling this week?
My buying of Ada has slowed down, though I still plan on buying biweekly, or if it goes under 1.10 again. I've started receiving my rewards for staking, so I'm getting about 5 free ada an epoch now, or about an Ada a day. Can't complain about that!

#876 3 years ago

Was there an event or news that caused Bitcoin to drop? Cardano followed it a bit I noticed, as well as a few other alt coins

#887 3 years ago

I have a feeling we are going to at least see a bit of decent sized dip over the next few days. But I’m just going to hold my bags and try not to check prices too often. If it drops a fair bit, I’ll be adding to my bags, not selling. Or at least that’s my game plan for now haha.

#889 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I'm looking at the coin charts and seeing a trend, did some news break that's causing this? I haven't read any articles recently so a little in the dark.

I think as mentioned a few posts up, that it’s mostly due to fear around Friday’s Bitcoin futures expiring. I believe it’s mostly that and March being a historically rough month for crypto. But I could be missing something else.
Also, it’s been fairly quiet on the news front, and the hypes died down a bit. But if the right institutions announce they’ve bought in, it could cause things to turn positive again quickly. I do feel that more institutions are quietly buying this month.

#903 3 years ago

I was expecting a more vicious end to the week (and may still get it) with cardano, but it surprisingly jumped to 1.28 this morning, and is currently holding around the 1.22 mark. There was the cardano 360 event yesterday, so maybe that has people hyped. And usually cardano does ok overnight here, as it seems to have a lot of support in Asia.

#913 3 years ago

https://news.bitcoin.com/over-6b-in-bitcoin-options-set-to-expire-today-april-contracts-show-bets-for-80k-per-btc/

I don’t understand futures too well yet, but it looks like the outlook for April is pretty promising/positive

#918 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I don't know shit, but I don't think we will ever see the 30's again...ever.

I agree. Again, anything can happen, but I think there’s just too much support for it now to see swings like that. Institutions are buying at a huge rate, wether publicly announced or not. I think a lot were buying this month. Maybe I’m mistaken though.

1 week later
#980 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

DOT overtakes ADA

I saw this too. Ive debated buying dot before but have never pulled the trigger. Has there been an announcement or news to explain this value rise? Or is it simply getting some of its owed dues?

1 week later
#999 3 years ago

XRP sure had a decent day. I don’t own any, but congrats to those of you who do!

#1009 3 years ago

Ada/cardano is definitely a long term play, but I’m still happily holding it. It’s Ethiopia deal should be announced relatively soon, and smart contracts are around the corner. It’s not able to steal many Ether based users just yet, though a few have already announced they are switching over when they can. Though when smart contracts do become live this summer, I think we’ll see a fair bit of traffic jump over then. So for now I’m just holding and staking, but by the fall I think we’ll have seen a nice price increase. And by the next Bitcoin halving, that’s when I think having bought cardano now will have really paid off.

#1037 3 years ago

I’m assuming everyone in here is sleeping soundly tonight! Crypto is having a good day! For me I’m pumped to see Ada currently at 1.52us

#1044 3 years ago

I’m assuming everyone in here is sleeping soundly tonight! Crypto is having a good day! For me I’m pumped to see Ada currently at 1.52us

Hit 1.55, now currently at 1.35.
What a rollercoaster of a ride this year has been so far lol.

#1052 3 years ago

Doge is going nuts!

#1054 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I seriously wish it would crash and die already... damn scam coin.

I fully agree. I think a lot of new people are buying it on hype and how cheap it is. But when it crashes, a lot of people are going to be left holding bags of it. And then will look at crypto as a whole as a scam, not just doge.

#1071 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Doge will crash....hard. if you haven't taken profits before that happens you will lose 98% of your gains.
Doge's supply is infinite. It has no possible long term value...none. So, everyone investing in doge is playing the bag holder game ...100% certain of that.

I fully agree. I feel if people are playing with a smaller amount in doge, like a couple hundred bucks or less, then its pretty harmless fun. But I'm betting that quite a decent percentage of those buying doge don't realize it has an infinite supply and just how big of a factor that is.

I had a buddy text me yesterday and ask me how many legit coins there are out there like Doge and Bitcoin, and how many are scams. I didn't know how to respond back lol.

#1110 3 years ago

I bought more Ada at 1.16. Let’s see where this goes. A Saturday night dip across several coins makes me think it should recover a bit at least by Monday.

#1117 3 years ago

I'm just pissed because I had my 25% sitting there on an off ramp ready to sell. I talking with some buddies about what I planned to buy with my initial investment and some of my profit. I was waiting for another 2% or so until I had enough (not wanting to dip in my holdings anymore than the 25%). I look down at my phone and I'm down 4%, then 7%, then 10% then 15%. As fast as I could refresh I was down further and further.
The pleasant thoughts of the past were filled with sadness. It's a good thing I had a lot of beer laying around.

After I saw the huge drop, I bought some Ada and then went to Twitter and pinside to see if anyone had posted an explanation as to what was happening.
I had remembered you talking about transferring some to an exchange in preparation to take some profit, so I went back a page on this thread to reread your post, with fingers crossed that you had. Sorry to hear it didn’t quite happen. But with how fast it dropped, and how it’s already recovered a bit, it’s always possible we’ll see a decent recovery this week for you to then pull a bit out.

#1118 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

This looks like a good explanation of what happened. Checking Tethers volume and price during the crash seems to confirm.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/mt5odv/explanation_the_recent_crash_was_probably_due_to/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Thanks for sharing. I had read a few reasons for the sudden drop, but this one seems the most logical/supported.

#1128 3 years ago

I bought more Ada at 1.16. Let’s see where this goes. A Saturday night dip across several coins makes me think it should recover a bit at least by Monday.

Less than a full day later, my ada purchase has gone from 1.16 to 1.32 currently. Nothing crazy, but I’ll happily take it.

#1146 3 years ago

cardano (resized).JPGcardano (resized).JPG

This could be a very big event for Cardano/Ada, and possibly crypto as a whole. I'm very excited for this. Only downside is they're making us wait until next Thursday haha.

#1171 3 years ago

I’m still too green to this to be really predicting much, but I think today’s price drops are more attributable to the potential capital gains tax hike that might get proposed, as opposed to people losing interest in crypto.

#1186 3 years ago

Buckle up buckaroos! Lol.

Edit: I did get some Ada for a pretty nice price. Well, nice at this time at least. I’ll look again in the morning to see how it’s looking then.

#1192 3 years ago

buy.gifbuy.gif

#1195 3 years ago

I bought Ada last night, and am hoping to buy a bit more again soon. I will watch things today, though it seems late Saturday night is the best time to buy, after watching things the last month or so. I'm a little over 9000 ada at this time, and wouldn't mind adding a bit more before next weeks Africa special, as well as the upcoming smart contracts. If I was a betting man I would bet prices hold their current line today, but Fridays tend to be a sell off day usually anyway, so we might still see a bit more of a price drop. My bet is that next week things get a bit better. And if they drop off a cliff, I'll sell a pin and buy a ton more ada to average the price down.

#1199 3 years ago

and isn't one of the strengths of crypto that it isn't tied to one nation's choices? So it really shouldn't affect crypto much at all? Maybe I am missing something.

#1210 3 years ago

47EA90B1-F6A8-4934-8964-CDAA782D2A47.gif47EA90B1-F6A8-4934-8964-CDAA782D2A47.gif

#1221 2 years ago

I think this is an awesome accomplishment that helps legitimize crypto as a whole to the general public.

C68CC450-E7E8-41A3-B49B-8312DFA99BA7 (resized).pngC68CC450-E7E8-41A3-B49B-8312DFA99BA7 (resized).png

D78AB067-7BD2-416B-8BAF-B6F362833319 (resized).pngD78AB067-7BD2-416B-8BAF-B6F362833319 (resized).png

#1230 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

It seems like there's a lot of doubt about mining after Eth2.0. I'm going to keep looking into it as I really like the idea of mining as a potentially profitable hobby.

When does Eth2.0 roll out again? I remember hearing that the miners weren't happy with the coming changes, but I haven't heard much about that since the announcement.

#1327 2 years ago

kudos to everyone who's riding the doge train. I just never could see the value in it, but I'm wishing now that I YOLO'd some money into it when I first got started. I don't think it will last long term, but in the short term, some people are going to make some nice profit.

#1328 2 years ago

I should add that I'm happily still holding and staking ADA. It's been consolidating for a few weeks now, so I think its lost some appeal to the more swing trading type. I plan to hold for at least 4 years though, so I'm fine with whatever it does (or doesn't do) in the short term. I do think in August when smart contracts are fully up and running and the erc20 converter is fully going, then Cardano will see a nice jump again in value, hype and useage.

#1332 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

You can still get some and see what happens. I think it will be back to 0.30 or lower shortly.

I think the folks who are buying now will be the ones left holding the bag when it drops. Though I've thought that its entire rise, so apparently I know very little lol.
If I had to make a guess, I'm betting the people pumping/hyping it will take big profits right before or after Elon Musk's SNL appearance, when doge fever will be really high. Or maybe it lasts longer than that as the bull run continues. I can't see it holding these price heights long term though, there's just too many new coins minted at too fast a rate.

#1340 2 years ago

I'm still learning about crypto, but the capabilities and functions of some of these blockchains, both currently and what they hope to achieve in the future, is really amazing. I think blockchains will play a massive role in the future, in so many ways that we don't even realize yet.

#1370 2 years ago

Not that anyone cares, but I’m on my way to taking a little fun money out. .

I enjoy following your adventure, please keep sharing as you go

#1396 2 years ago

Ada is currently at 1.53, and is trying to pass it’s all time high of 1.56. Let’s go cardano!

#1406 2 years ago

I saw that Kraken opened up ADA staking. Might send over my ADA from Coinbase and Binance and make a few percent.

I saw that too. I just stake mine right on the Cardano blockchain, but I think its awesome that now people can have their ADA on an exchange and still reap the benefits of staking. Their rewards are decent too. Right now, with mine on the blockchain, I'm getting 6-7% a year with the pool I'm staking in, and we get our rewards every 5 days. I think Kraken is offering 4-6% a year, with rewards every 7 days. Very comparable, and your ADA is right there, ready to sell if you so choose. Staking is one of the reason's that I'm happy to just let my ADA ride, and not worry about trying to time short term buy and sells.

#1407 2 years ago

It says "between 4 - 6%". I can't find the differentiation. Did it tell you why the spread?

I think its more so that the ADA staking pools mint blocks, but its not guaranteed how many blocks each pool will mint each epoch. The average pool, if properly sized, will mint around 5% on average over a year. So it seems kraken will just give the rewards to the ADA holders, and not really take a percentage themselves.

#1425 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Any guesses on the Elon effect of Doge tomorrow?
My guess is red.

I think it will rise right up until the episode airs, and then go red after. I think the anticipation and hype has already been built in (buy the rumour sell the news). And that’s not me being negative on doge, that’s just the way it seems to go with anticipated events with most stocks and cryptos.
I also think people are overestimating how much Elon will talk about doge. He will likely mention it, but it won’t be an hour long doge extravaganza. SNL write the sketches, not Elon. There’s likely to be more Tesla mentions than doge. But I could be wrong.

#1442 2 years ago

Elon just called doge a hustle on snl. Price isn’t doing too well now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if people threw more money at it and called it buying the dip. I’ll look again at it in the morning when the dust has settled a bit

Edit: I watched the clip, and he kind of talked it up a bit, before agreeing that it’s a hustle. Doge is currently down 25%, but as shown already, you can’t predict what it will do next. I don’t think I’d be surprised if in the morning it was .30, or .70.

#1448 2 years ago

Cardano has surprised me this weekend and is up to 1.83 us. Cant complain about that! Not sure if this is due to the upcoming smart contracts or something else.

#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Anyone have a good read on ADA right now. Seriously thinking of doubling my investment tomorrow. It seems primed for a step up... or a crash.

It did just have a nice jump up from the 1.30-1.40 range it was consolidating in for a while. So it might pull back a bit yet. But I’m confident that any purchasing now will look really decent in august/September when both smart contracts and the erc20 converter are fully up and running. So if your plan is to buy and hold, I don’t think it’s a terrible idea to buy now.
I just won first place in a hockey pool, and first thing I get the prize money, I’ll be using it and a bit extra to buy more ADA.

#1478 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Sold some of my ETH today at $4100. Can anyone guess what I'm doing with the proceeds?

Buying a watch that costs more than my car did?

#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Bought more ADA today on the dip... but it might keep dipping!

I saw it hit 1.55 today, but I didn’t have any cash on the exchange and wouldn’t have gotten it on there before it shot back up so quickly. I’m still hoping that i can get another decent order put in over the next few days, so hopefully it doesn’t rise too quickly before then.

#1516 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So what's your coin of choice?
SixtyFourBits is our resident Cardano Bull (probably not a bad call).
SpyderTurbo is pretty active but I would have to say Link is his baby.
I would have to say I'm the resident Bitcoin Bull...although I think Pdxmonkey is not far behind on that one.
Oh...and WackyBrakke is our RAVEN guy!

I think I'm the most vocal about cardano, though I know there are others on here who hold more of it than I do (at least one pinsider holds close to 45,000 of them)

#1534 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

I think ADA with hit $8-$10 this market cycle hence why I have most my holdings in it.

Im trying to temper my expectations, but I sure wouldn’t mind if that came true! I do think as we continue to get closer to smart contracts and the erc20 converter, the price will rise quite nicely.

#1553 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Eth
I’m not a fan. Overrated centralized platform. Have you ever used it? the gas fees are crazy. I’m not talking about just buying and selling on an exchange. Only makes sense if your doing big things.
Here’s the cost to swap it. It’s all these shit coins and NFT’s clogging up the network. Eth 2.0 has been promised for years and when it comes it isn’t going to be better. I’m not rooting for Eth I hope one of the dozen competitors overtakes it.
Of course my take the markets will do what they do regardless
[quoted image]

I've felt this way about Eth since I started looking into crypto, but don't vocalize it too often as then people think I'm just jealous its not Cardano.
When Eth started really taking off this year, I was a bit surprised. But I'm happy that it is, as once its fees issue really hits the fan, then maybe Cardano can steal a piece of the pie from them. I'm hoping the fees get really bad right around the same time Cardano's smart contracts and erc20 come fully around.

#1554 2 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I have pdxmonkey keeping me cool when things heat up . I reccomend every young trader gets a seasoned close crypto buddy to stay steady and un-stress when needed

I really agree with this. I got a good friend into pinball, and then in turn he got me into crypto. Its nice having a seasoned crypto friend to bounce questions, ideas, etc. off of.

#1561 2 years ago

C’mon longshot cardano! Lol
I mean the way it’s blocks are created it uses zero fossil fuels. But it’s not a big enough player yet to be considered for something like this.

#1577 2 years ago

I went shopping. Thanks Elon! Lol

#1595 2 years ago

It sure feels nice when you’re able to properly time buying a dip. Bought some Ada yesterday for 1.55 each, less than 12 hours later it’s 1.81 each.

#1598 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Do you sell it then at 1.81 to buy more in then next "dip" or do you just accumulate?

I just buy and hold.
I’m not sure what’s driving Ada this morning, but it’s already set a new all time high at 1.88.

#1602 2 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Hey everyone- Not sure if this is allowed here, but I just came across this post. I've been a long time holder of Cardano and run my own stake pool, ticker TYGAR. Would love it if any fellow pinsiders would consider staking with me. It's been brutally competitive out there for small pools and I'm really trying to get over the 3Million Ada mark so that we can ensure high reward ROA for our delegators. Please check us out and feel free to hit me up with any questions you have at all!

I'm in a pool that's currently giving me nice returns right now, but looks like it will get oversaturated within the next month or so. When that happens and I go to move my ada, I will definitely consider your pool.

#1606 2 years ago

Cardano is currently at 1.94us. Should be fun to see if it can hit the big ol' $2 mark today, and if it can hold it if it does.

#1621 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I honestly think Elon is going to come out and say that Telsa will begin mining Bitcoin using 100% reneable energy sources. Or, something related.
Tesla is still sitting on billions in BTC...they didn't sell any.

That's a big point that a lot of media isn't covering. Elon said they're not accepting bitcoin for vehicle purchases, but the key part is that it is just at this time. He quickly mentioned that they will be using it in the future. And that they are not selling any bitcoin. They see the value in it.
The media and certain people have just emphasized parts of his press release to help emphasize their own agendas, mainly using environmental concerns to paint crypto in a bad light.

That's why I happily bought the dip last night. News like this won't hold crypto back for long.

#1632 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So...this will likely take 10 days to process. Where does everyone think will will be in 10 days? Higher, lower, same. I'd be fine with either same or lower...but my guess is higher.

I'm betting higher as well.

#1636 2 years ago

Doge just jumped 6 cents on another Elon musk tweet

#1647 2 years ago

676ED049-9105-4B6D-9D29-B2B8F92645B4 (resized).jpeg676ED049-9105-4B6D-9D29-B2B8F92645B4 (resized).jpeg

#1655 2 years ago

Cardanos hit the $2.00 us mark. Now to see if it can hold it. I imagine there’s lots of people who set that milestone as a sell.

Edit: currently 2.09us. Go ADA go!

#1659 2 years ago

Cardanos not slowing down this morning. 2.24us

Edit. 2.36 us

#1661 2 years ago
Quoted from PINQUEST:

ADA is killin it! Who's ready to make a Pinball NFT?!

With the ability to mint your own crypto on the cardano blockchain, my buddy and I were going to look into making a pinball coin lol. But haven’t gotten to it yet

#1678 2 years ago

30B1F098-5232-4A5E-9E7D-CC34A056138C.gif30B1F098-5232-4A5E-9E7D-CC34A056138C.gif

#1680 2 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Elon’s tweeted again, and the markets are down.
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1393993975019749382
How can anyone think that cryptos are viable in the long term if one vocal person can move the markets like this? Even the “amazing, decoupled” ETH and ADA are going down with it.
It’s like Apple having a bad quarter report and Google taking a hit as well, because well why not.
If cryptos don’t get serious institutional investment, and soon, then it feels like all it’s ever going to be is altcoin rollercoaster rides and pump and dumps, because the markets are so sensitive to bad sentiment. Retail investors panic and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Some people are getting rich, but a lot of people are getting burned. But of course if cryptos did get serious and stopped having double digit percentage rises, would people be as interested in them?
People chasing mad gains are the problem. A great swathe of them don’t even know what the project is or how it’s different or better than anything else, they just see Number Go Up and want to get in on the gold rush. Pure greed.

I feel on days like today, there’s two ways people tend to think.
The first is that with swings and drops like today, with markets easily affected by influential people comments, that crypto is not, and will not, be a stable, reliable, serious market.
The second is that with swings and drops like today, with markets easily affected by influential people comments, it just shows how early we are in cryptos acceptance. And that with time and acceptance, the crypto market will become a serious, stable, reliable one.
And I don’t think that either side will really change the others mind. Only time will tell who’s right. I know which I believe more in, but I would be foolish to think it’s a guaranteed outcome.

#1698 2 years ago

I know it’s been shared a few times in this thread, but I wanted to share it again. Crypto is still doing ok folks. If the daily charts worry you, zoom out a bit. We’re still heading in the right direction.

2EC21C92-D83F-4A71-8B25-1298180F520F (resized).png2EC21C92-D83F-4A71-8B25-1298180F520F (resized).png

#1702 2 years ago

BB95522A-8222-42A6-A35A-ECCABC247FC0 (resized).jpegBB95522A-8222-42A6-A35A-ECCABC247FC0 (resized).jpeg

#1713 2 years ago

Last week I bought ada at 1.62us. So even though its gone down the last two days, its currently at 2.03us. So I'm not really seeing this as a dip for Ada just yet. Also, even if I'm not buying, as long as I'm holding my Ada, I'm earning daily through staking. So for now I'm just comfortably watching things, and earning a small bit of Ada as I go.

#1719 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

https://insights.glassnode.com/the-week-on-chain-week-20-2021/
They do great analysis at onchain.
Between that and miners not selling I’m sticking with my spread.

this was a great read, thanks for sharing!

#1731 2 years ago

I accidentally posted this in the stocks thread earlier today, but meant to post it here.
Not to always bring up ADA, but for anyone who has some, I thought this would be a good article to share.
I'm excited for smart contracts to be here soon, but I'm even more excited for the arrival of the erc-20 converter that is coming with them.
https://iohk.io/en/blog/posts/2021/05/17/bringing-erc20-to-cardano/

#1762 2 years ago

Not sure what’s going on this evening, but everyone hold onto your butts.

#1769 2 years ago

FA8039A1-4D0F-42CD-B310-3B1FF874C6FC.gifFA8039A1-4D0F-42CD-B310-3B1FF874C6FC.gif

#1770 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Anybody hit the Blockfi lotto?

I’m curious what this means?

#1836 2 years ago

I bought some more Ada (suprise suprise lol) at 1.30us. Not a ton, but I'm up a nice bit already.
If Ada crashes, I'll hold till next bull cycle. If Ada spikes, I'll hold till next bull cycle, but maybe take a little bit of profit.
Either way, I'm holding. If I didn't sell at $3 Canadian last week, why would I sell at $1.60 Canadian this week?

#1848 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Cmon ADA give me one more dip to the $1.30 range to buy.. I slept thru the first one today

With the way the last dip that low played out, and how quickly the price bounced back, I'm doubting we see it that low again right away. But you never know. If it does dip that low, or even into the 1.40s again, I'll be buying more with you.

#1849 2 years ago

edit: double post

#1860 2 years ago

Looks like some coins are starting to sag again, so might be worth keeping an eye on this evening to see where they go.

#1879 2 years ago

At first I wasn't too thrilled with the dip, but now that prices are recovering quickly and I have an extra 400 ada, I'm ok with it lol

#1916 2 years ago

I transferred another $200 to the exchange today, and I'll watch things today and tomorrow. It's not much, but it scratches my itch to buy the dip, without overspending in case the dip continues to dip lol.

#1918 2 years ago

I think most of it is every 20 minutes there is discussion of a ban followed by all the new people running for the exits. This is starting to be too damn stressful.

That's why I could never try to swing/day trade crypto. There's just too many wild x factors that pop out of nowhere at random times. I find that buying in small amounts and holding is a lot easier for me to wrap my head around, and have faith in, long term.

#1931 2 years ago

Another thing to keep in mind, is that usually Fridays and Saturdays tend to see lower prices. I'm not sure if that is a carry over effect from the way people approach stocks (as trading is closed on weekends so sell on Friday), or what, but it's something I've noticed the last few months. Combine it being a Friday, after a decent crash, and sprinkle in some China fud for good measure, and I really feel this is more a combination of negative effects than the start of a bear market.

#1983 2 years ago

I’ll prob watch Ada today and add another $200 worth at some point.

#2029 2 years ago

7B398C9D-74BC-41EA-80DC-C0EB8569F230 (resized).jpeg7B398C9D-74BC-41EA-80DC-C0EB8569F230 (resized).jpeg

These days aren’t quite as fun as others have been, but I’ll continue to stake and hold.

#2047 2 years ago

I bought a bit more this morning, and have now transferred it all off the exchange to the blockchain/ledger. I hit my goal mark, so now I’m going to give it a break and just watch and stake. Happy deal hunting to those of you still buying!

#2107 2 years ago

That’s why I like cardano. If it can achieve its goals it could have thousands of real world uses. It just signed a deal to be used as an information storage system for all of Ethiopia’s school systems (5 million students, 750 schools, a couple thousand teachers). It has the ability to be used for voting/elections. A world wide loan system. Smart contracts for business applications. And so many more uses. I think when most people think of crypto, they just think digital currency. Maybe that’s how it started, but crypto is evolving into so much more. It’s a pretty exciting time to be in it. I also feel it’s still quite early.

#2137 2 years ago

Ada does seem to follow Bitcoin pretty consistently, just like most other coins. If Ada didn't have smart contracts coming up and staking rewards every five days, I'd probably have just invested in Bitcoin instead.

#2142 2 years ago

PayPal announced they are going to start letting people withdraw their crypto to wallets right away.

#2153 2 years ago

I think some Bitcoin options expire today too.
I really have no idea if things are going up or down from here. So I'll just keep holding, staking and hoping for the best.

#2166 2 years ago

I’m fine holding and staking if things turn bearish for a few years.
But right now I’m going to see how this weekend dips, and then compare it to last weekend. I don’t think it will be a for sure indicator on things, but if this weekend responds stronger than last weekend did, it should count at least a little bit for something.

#2168 2 years ago

ADA and LINK are all that I hold now, I will consider picking up some Doge if it drops under .10 cents just for fun.

Link is one that I wish I had grabbed when everything had the big drop. I’ll likely grab some in the future at some point though.

#2173 2 years ago

I’m fine holding and staking if things turn bearish for a few years.
But right now I’m going to see how this weekend dips, and then compare it to last weekend. I don’t think it will be a for sure indicator on things, but if this weekend responds stronger than last weekend did, it should count at least a little bit for something.

It’s still early in the day, but Cardanos had a much stronger weekend so far than the last. Last Sunday it hit 1.35. Today it’s currently 2.02. I’m quite happy with how it’s handled the big dip and recovery so far
Edit: prices in Canadian

#2199 2 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I bought at pretty much the height of BTC at £40,500 (~$57,400), and then subsequently traded out some of it to buy ETH and ADA when they were lower (but still quite a lot higher than they both are now). I don't even know if that was a particularly smart strategy, but I wanted to diversify my portfolio as I was ~80% BTC at that point.
As things stand I'm about 33% down on what I originally put in.
In some ways it's comforting being down, because short of trying to daytrade my way out of the hole there isn't a whole lot I can do except wait.
As a relative novice - is there anything I can do with my holdings that would see me slowly improve my position? (random market depressions notwithstanding)

As a few guys have mentioned, buying the dips, and then just holding and waiting should help. I know some guys who daytrade and have success with it. I feel that first thing I try that, I'll buy too high, sell to low, and just end up frustrated haha.
One of the biggest reasons I went with Ada (and I sound like a broken record about it by now haha) is the staking. It's easy to do, costs nothing but time, and I get free Ada every five days from doing it. I currently make about 1.75 free Ada a day. So even if I don't feel like buying, just by holding I'm adding to my bag. Now, staking only adds so much depending what you have. I get about 8-9 Ada every 5 days. I have a friend who is earning over 50 ada every 5 days. That's pretty sweet profit for free just by staking.

#2223 2 years ago

I bought more Ada. I really should've bought over the weekend instead of today, but I really like the way charts are shaping up so thought I'd gamble and buy a bit more.

#2234 2 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Bought some more ADA as well very early this morning.
Hoping smart contracts rollout puts them in good competition with Eth (along with supporting ERC20 token converter).
I’m late to the game for ADA.. but to me this is a good long term investment.

I started buying in the .50-.60 range, and I almost didn’t because I thought I missed the boat on it too. I really wish I had started when it was .04-.10, but at the end of the day I’m just glad I eventually jumped in. And who knows, maybe in 5 years others will look back to this point (1.70ish) and wish they got in early at this point.
I’m pretty bullish on the rest of this year with smart contracts and the erc20 converter coming. Should be a fun ride.

#2246 2 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Let’s be honest, if you were a billionaire and could buy anything you wanted, wouldn’t you get your rocks off by doing things like this?

I've been telling a few of my friends this ever since he started his tweeting. I'm convinced that billionaires like Musk, Cuban, etc. get their kicks by messing with the masses on a larger scale like this. Anything monetary based they can simply buy no problem. So this provides them with a new fun challenge. It's annoying, but as long as so many people continue to hang off of every word/tweet they send out, they're not going to stop/change.

#2280 2 years ago

I’m still green enough at this that I’m not sure exactly what this may result in, but sounds like things could get spicy soon lol.

CA7B4D6F-46BA-4E8F-BFF1-9B55F8961EA2 (resized).pngCA7B4D6F-46BA-4E8F-BFF1-9B55F8961EA2 (resized).png

#2296 2 years ago

OK so what news did I miss today seems like stuff weak this afternoon I’m watching link may pick up a bit more.

I think it’s this news/fud story:
C895E72C-6DEE-4CBB-BCDB-B74BEEDC8A3E (resized).jpegC895E72C-6DEE-4CBB-BCDB-B74BEEDC8A3E (resized).jpeg

But it doesn’t add up well:
CC7675C7-7FB6-4695-9A64-CF15CDBE4BA3 (resized).jpegCC7675C7-7FB6-4695-9A64-CF15CDBE4BA3 (resized).jpeg

#2302 2 years ago

Better buckle up it looks like it’s gunna be a bumpy ride tonight!
Edit: Sure would love to grab some ADA at the $1.15 +- level

I would too! But I’m not too confident we’ll hit that low tonight. We’ll see where the week takes us though.

#2308 2 years ago

Looks like the exchange gave it up.
The news that the FBI had recovered Bitcoin sent fear in the markets, with some believing that the service could hack the Bitcoin network. In fact, the FBI agents managed to use a block explorer to track the transactions and figure out the public address where the ransomed Bitcoin was stored. The FBI then used a warrant to claim the 63.7 BTC in that address to the exchange or custodian storing the Bitcoin.
The on-chain Bitcoin address linked to the Colonial Pipeline ransom wasn’t hacked. Once the FBI figured out the public key by analyzing on-chain data, it linked that public key to a certain custodian. The custodian for the address was asked to share the private key. As the popular crypto saying goes: “not your keys, not your Bitcoin.”

That's the part that I feel is fishy/odd. The "cybercriminals" were smart enough to blackmail for that much in bitcoin, but were not smart enough to put it into an unknown cold storage wallet? Come on. And the fact that so many reports stated that the FBI hacked the bitcoin wallet. That line isn't true and is just to drive fear into people. Maybe I have my tinfoil hat on too tight, but this all seems a bit off to me hahaha.

#2311 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You're overthinking it. It's digital, regardless how 'safe' you think digital is, there's almost always a way in. Just takes the right people, time, and money. These exchanges are making money, do you really think if pressured they aren't going to cave? Hell, people should feel really lucky those exchanges don't just take the money and run.
I personally think it was rather quick, but I highly doubt there is some conspiracy out of this to make people think it has anything to do with spreading FUD about crypto. If anything at all, possibly a ruse to get the group to speak up with 'no they didn't' to try to flush them out.

I realize that the tech is over my head, so I could easily be missing something. I just feel that right after the bitcoin was transferred to them, they could've taken 5 minutes to take it off the exchange onto a cold storage device, and they would've been home free. There is no real valid reason to have left it on the exchange. It was the exchange that gave them up, not the blockchain.
Regardless, I'm not rooting for criminal activity here, so if they were indeed legit criminals and got caught, that's awesome.

#2314 2 years ago

What's everyone feeling today? Buy today or wait and see what the week brings?

#2329 2 years ago

If I was to sell now, it would be with the idea that I will be using it all to buy back in again in a few months at a much lower price. So its not so much whether that money will be in crypto, its more so do I want to bet on the market dropping so I can increase the amount of Ada I'm holding without spending more money. I'm not sure that's a bet I want to make yet. I'm not really confident in the market going either way, so I may just sit back and hold and stake and hope for the best.

#2340 2 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

So... I am on the ADA train, but saw the recent news regarding the recent raised funding from Solana. Given Solana is being coined as "Ethereum Killer" I wonder how they might perform in the space with ADA. I have not done my research yet on Solana, but seems promising from some.
What is your take? I'm just waiting for a little more dip to continue to lower my cost average on ADA. To me that seems to be what will happen in the market.

I’ll be honest, I know of solana, but haven’t dived too deep. It shares a lot in common with Ada, so from what I’ve seen, I like.
I’m not a big fan of coins that label themselves ethereum killers, which might sound odd coming from an Ada fan lol. Though to be fair I believe others gave cardano that moniker, not cardano itself. I feel the future is big enough for a few of these blockchain to coexist together, definitely including ethereum. It’s not going to be only one wins and exists. Ethereum is not going anywhere, it has the first mover advantage and is a juggernaut. But others will coexist with it, and some (like Ada in my opinion) will take a decent share of the market.
What I like about cardano (besides the staking) is that they are rolling the erc20 converter out with their smart contracts. I feel that if any blockchains are going to have a chance at stealing business partners away from ethereum, they need to be able to make the transition as effortless and easy as possible. Maybe solana is working on something similar though.
Another reason I haven’t boughten into solana is simply it’s not in the exchange I use. Might seem silly, but I haven’t found a crypto I like enough that’s not on the exchange I buy from that’s made me sign up for a second exchange. I really wouldn’t mind some agi, but I’ll wait for the a month or two until it’s on the cardano blockchain and is agix, and hopefully buy some then.

#2348 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Well, now Bitcoin and the US dollar are El Salvador's official currencies. Once this new law takes effect, if you walk into a McDonald's in El Salvador and want to buy a small fries with Bitcoin...they must accept that payment.

What's even funnier, is if you want to buy a Tesla with Bitcoin in El Salvador, they must accept.

#2375 2 years ago

Lots of decent news today in crypto land, but seems to be a fair bit of Debby downer-ing in here lol.

B5B9DA79-94A1-4241-A5DF-206F0A390490.gifB5B9DA79-94A1-4241-A5DF-206F0A390490.gif

#2440 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So is everyone rich & retired off Crypto yet?

0E181482-DABF-4264-9E84-CD1F7C2E4E75.gif0E181482-DABF-4264-9E84-CD1F7C2E4E75.gif

#2449 2 years ago

I just closed out my Robin Hood account and I am only using Coinbase now, also I am completely done with Dodge.. no utility, unless I’m missing something? Looking for one last dip in ADA to buy more. My entire crypto portfolio is only $2000 so will be interesting to see what it is at the end of the year.

I bought a bit of Ada Friday night when it hit 1.39us. I thought I’d be smart though and only spend half of what I allocated for the weekend, in case it goes lower. Now it’s 20 cents higher and I still haven’t spent the second half. Though if I had spent it all Friday we would’ve seen crazy low prices on Saturday lol.
Also there’s nothing wrong with having “only” $2000 in crypto. If things go well you should see a nice return! And if things go sour for a while you won’t have bet too much on it.

#2472 2 years ago

That's weird. I'm not seeing that on the Binance, Kraken or Coinbase graphs.

It didn't show up on NDAX either. I'd have loved to buy some at those prices lol, but that dip never showed up on NDAX, and I was watching it pretty closely this weekend.

#2473 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Well this seems legit.... $.44 at the bottom.
[quoted image]

Looks like it was a glitch on coinmarketcap for a few other coins too, including xrp.

xrp (resized).jpgxrp (resized).jpg

#2485 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Polkadot coming to Coinbase

Normally that should be a good thing, but the last few cryptos dropped decently their first day on coinbase, so not sure what to think. Though in the long run its a good thing for sure.

#2493 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Stop posting your account holdings...you're making me jealous (and sick to my stomach thinking about how little I'm able to invest in anything at 40).

Hey, anything invested is better than nothing!
It's all how you look at it. If I chat with my buddy who's been in crypto for a few years now, my holdings look like peanuts. If I chat with my friends who have none / very little, my holdings look like a nice investment.
It gets echoed in here every so often, but its worth mentioning again: I think we're still early in the crypto game. What looks like a little today, might just look like a lot in a few years from now.

#2508 2 years ago

Not sure if anyone else is interested, but the Lex Fridman and Charles Hoskinson interview came out today. It’s just under 5 hours long, so it covers a fair bit lol. Great interview though. And if you’re short on time it has conversation markers so you can just check out the topics you’re interested in.

#2525 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I still don't understand NFT's beyond "bragging rights" enforcement. I know people make millions off them, and I know people spend a lot of money on non-NFT bragging rights stuff in real life (boats, cars, clothing, Magic Girls, etc.) so maybe it does have a "valid" use case, but if there's anything beyond that I don't get it.

I'm the same way. I have a lot of friends who are really big on the future of NFT's, but I just can't get onboard yet. It's very likely that I'm missing something, but for now I'd rather spend my money on adding to my crypto bag than on NFT's.

Edit: I should say that I can see NFT's being big in the world of card collecting, videogames, and similar areas like that. But for now I mostly see the NFT marketplace flooded with random half assed graphics made by every and any Joe Blow. I think as it starts to evolve into the proper channels it will become a huge market.

#2533 2 years ago

Yes and No. It would be more ironic if I had said NFT's have absolutely no value and that crypto does. What I said was that I simply don't see the value enough yet to invest in it. I didn't say it had no value, or that those who do buy NFTs are wrong to do so. Human's vary in what they buy and see value in. Pinball machines, crypto, NFTs, stocks, beanie babies, etc.
But I understand that if someone doesn't see value in crypto, then they would find it ironic that someone who does, talks about not seeing the value in NFTs yet. I don't see it as a pot meet kettle situation, but can see how others may.

#2542 2 years ago

It's hard to keep HODLing. I'm slowly getting bled dry.

You've been in crypto longer than me, so this post isn't to offer you advice or anything, you know more about this field/topic than I do by a lot. But here are my current thoughts to help me relax during this time.

I'm lucky that I'm still in the green, but it is hard to see unrealized gains disappear. For me, the several things that keep me happily hodling are:
- I believe that blockchains will play a massive role in the future. I'm ok sitting on crypto for a few years if I still have a lot of faith in their future use and adoption
- Staking allows me to set things aside and forget about them for a while, knowing that when I do go back I will have more than I did before. So even if I don't feel like spending more money, I will still be increasing my bag, just by waiting.
- If the price drops considerably, I will buy more and average down, while also increasing my staking rewards at the same time

I'm not going to pretend I'll be happy if things take a massive dump. But I told myself I had to hold until either the next bitcoin halving (at least), or the price gets to a point I want to pull profit from. Likely case, those two will happen around the same time in the future. Though I don't feel this bullrun is over yet. To me the biggest factor to consider is what the whales are doing. Whales have started buying again, large institutions are buying, and countries are adopting. We could still see a decent drop, but if we're looking long term, the future is bright in my opinion.

#2565 2 years ago

I bought a little bit more cardano today as an extra Father’s Day gift for me lol. Just 110 Ada. I’ve just been doing small buys out of my play funds lately. So if it’s value goes up, great. If it’s value tanks, I still have funds in reserve to buy the bigger dip.

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads in this thread!

#2569 2 years ago

A big part of today's dip is due to the large shutdown of Bitcoin mining in China. But action is already being taken to move those mining rigs over to the USA. So we will likely see continued damage to crypto prices as bitcoin's mining hashrate remains low, but I'm betting when things get officially up and running again in the USA, and the hashrate goes back up, and the US takes over as one of the bitcoin mining leaders, sentiment will change pretty quickly.
Right now I'm seeing about 50/50 split for bullish/bearish technical support. So I don't think I'd be too surprised to see it move either way. If I plan to stake and hold until the next halving, then that relieves a fair bit of the pressure of what today, tomorrow, this month, etc. brings. To me the future still looks bright.

#2572 2 years ago

Everything has been down the last month or two now, but I feel Cardano has handled it well. Today its rocking one of the better percentages. Cardano always seem to be around the same percentage as bitcoin, so that's helped my continued bullish-ness on ADA. Some alts are down a fair bit (Doge is currently 16%) so that then paints all alts as having an equally rough time. Not to say that Cardano won't eventually drop really badly. I realize it's no Bitcoin. But I think because so much of it is being staked, that most ADA holders are simply content to hold, stake and ride this storm out. For now at least.

alts (resized).JPGalts (resized).JPG

#2585 2 years ago

I bought more Ada tonight at 1.16, and it’s currently back to 1.26. Just another $200 buy though, in case it decides to drop even more.

#2609 2 years ago

buckle.gifbuckle.gif

#2637 2 years ago

Before jumping in I sold two pinball machines and some retro videogames. So far I've just used those funds for my crypto buys. So regardless if things go to the moon or to $0, my regular life continues on as normal. If Montreal and Tampa can meet in the Stanley Cup finals, I have a very good chance at winning my playoff hockey pool this year, and so that will give me another decent chunk of change to buy more ADA. Fingers crossed for that to play out nicely.
Also when my fun funds run out, I'll still be earning about 2 Ada a day through staking, so I'll still be increasing my holdings, even if just a bit at a time.

#2640 2 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Not a bad tally to get 2 Ada per day . At what % you staking ?

Lately the pool I'm in has been having about 7% based epochs, though it has varied from 5-7%. I think I'm just under 2 ada a day, though if the percentage drops then that will drop as well a small bit.

#2660 2 years ago

Things look like they are starting to rebound a bit. I'm cautiously optimistic about it though, as we could easily see another dip. Cardano is up 37 cents though in 2 days, so it shows a fair bit of support above a dollar yet.

#2684 2 years ago

Lots of shorts being put up on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Cardano today, and likely others too. I'm thinking this might result in a bit of a rocky weekend, though most weekends have seen a bit of a drop lately anyway.

#2693 2 years ago

I follow your logic, but there’s a few parts I dont really agree with.
First, how can legit free crypto ever not be worth it. Especially when it’s is extremely easy to put in or pull from a staking pool (10 minutes) and rewards are paid out every 5 days.
Second, your example uses the basis that people can time the market perfectly and sell at the top and buy at the bottom. If you’re lucky enough to time things just right, then yeah, it makes sense to pull from staking, sell, and then buy back in and stake again. No one would argue that. But that example has a lot of hindsight factored in.
Third, your idea of having a years worth of staking rewards whipped out in a single day is extreme. Can it happen? Yes. Does it happen everyday? Not even close. This notion also dismisses the benefits of staking as the value increases.
Basically it boils down to this. If you own crypto. And that crypto can earn you more free crypto everyday, and it costs nothing and there’s no restrictions or effects on your existing crypto, how can that be a bad thing or not worth it? Especially if you plan on holding for a while.
Also the idea that mining is worthwhile but staking isn’t is a bit comical. Staking is basically mining that doesn’t cost you on your electrical bill.
The only way that I can see staking not being worth it is if you plan on swing trading your Ada every couple days, and you only have a couple hundred. If you’re at all long term hold, then staking any amount makes sense. This idea is backed up by 75%ish of the Ada in circulation currently being staked.

#2697 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Well, let's just say I start with $1000 to invest for a year.
Option A is buying my favorite crypto, stake it, and just hope that it goes up over time.
Option B is buying a top of the line video card, mine and sell the proceeds.
If crypto doubles in price, both options are about the same. One has 2060 to 2120 worth of crypto, the other has the video card and around $1200.
If crypto stays the same, option B wins easily.
If crypto goes down, option b win easily
If crypto goes up by 300% or more, then option A wins easily (in between 200% and 300% the increased profits from mining would probably even it out).
Option B is an investment, option A is speculation because there are no fundamentals for the value. Similar to the housing market, you can buy a house in Cali and hope that appreciation continues like it has, or your can get a rental house that makes money every month regardless of what the market does. Option A will make you wealthier for sure over time if you pick correctly but you can just as easily go broke if the market turns south, but option B is playing the odds over time to earn income. Doing a 3rd option where you don't actually sell all the mining proceeds is probably the best 'blended' approached.

I just want to say that I enjoyed reading that, and getting a different perspective on things. It’s always fun to see things from different angles, even if different than our own.
I won’t dive too deep with my response, as it’s late and I’m tired. Two things that stood out to me though was how you arrived at your mining value. You have the mining rig costing $1000, and a full year of use and time later, it still being worth $1000. I know right now parts are hard to find which has increased their value, but are people really paying new prices for rigs that have run for a full year? With newer tech out as that years passed? Maybe they are, it’s a genuine question. The other thing I wasn’t sure of is are people making $100 profit a month on crypto once electrical fees are deducted? Again a genuine question as I’ve never mined.
I feel like there’s a lot of X factors that can change the scenario.
Also, I feel you took the discussion as ‘is staking worth it compared to options like mining’, where as I read your earliest comment as ‘is staking worth the time, compared to not staking at all’. So that might also be why we’re approaching things from different viewpoints.

#2699 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You do realize that staking and mining are the same but different things right?

Not sure if that was meant for me or Taylor, but yep I knew that. Though I’m trying to articulate my point as I’m half asleep, so maybe it came across poorly lol.

#2700 2 years ago

Lots of shorts being put up on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Cardano today, and likely others too. I'm thinking this might result in a bit of a rocky weekend, though most weekends have seen a bit of a drop lately anyway.

I just wanted to bump this, as I feel it will have a big effect this weekend and I’m curious to hear other people’s thoughts. Longs have increased as well, but shorts on Bitcoin are up 1100%, and cardano is facing a crazy increase in shorts as well.

#2712 2 years ago

2E8D66D3-751F-44D6-A02F-54763676E920 (resized).png2E8D66D3-751F-44D6-A02F-54763676E920 (resized).png

I know the fed has been bad talking tether lately, so I’m not sure if this is people getting spooked about holding tether, or this is new buyers coming in, but either way, not a bad thing to see today.

#2717 2 years ago

It probably depends who you ask. There’s a lot of people here who are sure we’re going to see Bitcoin hit 10k and alts get destroyed. And you have others that are sure that Bitcoin will be 100k by Christmas and alts will be setting new all time highs. Some of those opinions will be based on past trends and current charting data. And some of those opinions will be based on how much or little crypto they currently hold.
I personally think things will turn around this year yet. We still have half of 2021 to go. A lot of signs point towards things turning around (I won’t list them all here at this time though). But I’m also invested, so maybe my view is biased lol.

#2733 2 years ago

There's definitely been a lot more positive news and atmosphere lately. Banks are getting on board, businesses are adding it to the portfolios in droves, mining groups in North and South America are stepping up to pick up the slack from less mining groups in China, and making attempts to use greener energy too. Things are looking good for crypto, though I imagine the road will still be a bumpy one for a while yet haha.

#2744 2 years ago

Some decent news for Cardano today:

greyscale1 (resized).JPGgreyscale1 (resized).JPG

greyscale (resized).jpggreyscale (resized).jpg

#2748 2 years ago

Overall it’s been a decent weekend so far.
I’m debating buying a bit of AGIX and a bit of ALGO. Anyone here own either and want to share their thoughts? AGIX I’ve been eying for a while, ALGO is a newer one to my radar.

1 week later
#2803 2 years ago

Anyone still buying?
3 month gains = -53%
Ouch!

I just won a playoff hockey pool, so I'm looking to buy a bit more soon (roughly $1000 Canadian).
I'm debating between ADA and AGIX, though ADA will likely win out again haha.
I know its starting to look really bearish to some, and we might be in consolidation for a while. I'm just not quite convinced its a bear market yet. And even if it is, I'm ok with buying, holding and staking for a few years. Short term may look rough, but I'm still a believer in crypto long term, so I'm not too worried.
My plan is to wait and see what Friday and Saturday bring. There is a Grayscale unlocking coming this weekend, and I think that will spook some people and drive prices down a bit yet. I usually prefer to buy on a Friday or Saturday evening as a rule anyway.

#2833 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

the mea culpa from the Doge founder was really eye-opening.

Ehh, I disagree.
He says crypto is controlled by a small group of elitists? Show me any major system that doesn't have a vocal group claiming that's the case for (the banking system, the stock market, political systems, religious groups, etc). Its one of the main things people claim if they are unhappy with a system or feel its not fair.
It sounds like he is mad that his cypto that he created as a joke, got really popular based on mass hype and little else. A lot of people in crypto agree with him that doge blowing up was a bad thing, but more so because it paints all crypto as pump and dumps with little utility. He also admits that he sold all his doge six years ago. Maybe he's just bummed that he sold his bag way too early, and that just made him even more bitter about crypto.
Crypto is still in its early stages, and its going to have believers who feel their supporting something in its infancy stages and will be rewarded when it grows into something much more. And its also going to have it doubters, who will shout from the rooftops that its controlled by a small group of elitist and that its just a system to drive an even bigger gap between the wealthy and the poor. And its also going to have some chill people in the middle, who may grab a little bit, just to put in their back pocket, relax and check back in on in a few year.
Right now, and likely for the next few years, we will all just have to wait and see who ends up right.

#2841 2 years ago

Bitcoins mining hash rate has started to recover and is going back up. Right now the effect of the mass exodus from China stings, but in a few months when the mining rate is back to where it was and we no longer rely so much on China’s mining (and the constant fud it brings) things are going to be in a much better place moving forward. I’m fine with holding now because there’s a lot of positives coming (not just the mining relocation and distribution).

#2855 2 years ago

hold.gifhold.gif

I'm with Astropin , I have some funds set aside ready to buy

#2860 2 years ago

Tinfoil hat time:
I've been telling a friend that contrary to what everyone else thinks going into this week, I'm going to bet on bitcoin (and therefor crypto as a larger whole) actually having an ok week. There's the upcoming bitcoin conference on Wednesday, which will have a group discussion featuring Jack Dorsey, Cathie Wood and Elon Musk. Tesla is set to release Q2 report next Monday. If Tesla is actually still holding most of their bitcoin (which I believe they are, as they said they were suspending taking it as a payment, not that they were selling their bag) then I also believe Elon is going to go into the bitcoin conference with a pro bitcoin attitude. They will talk about how bitcoin is going greener, dispel some myths, and possibly even announce that Tesla will accept bitcoin again, or will at least be considering it again. A boost to bitcoins value will help their Q2 report the following Monday, and therefor boost Tesla as a whole.
Its a very specific order of events, but that's why I'm calling it my tinfoil hat prediction haha.
I bought some crypto today, and I've set aside some money for later this week too if I'm wrong (which could easily be the case).

#2871 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I’ve said it before, but if you believe in the blockchain, you shouldn’t care about the price of BTC and ETH, and simply dollar cost average buy them like a retirement savings plan.
I am fully convinced crypto and the blockchain are here to stay, and I’ve never been so sure of anything in my life.

EEFA309C-086A-4D03-8F2E-570017CE5FE9.gifEEFA309C-086A-4D03-8F2E-570017CE5FE9.gif

#2876 2 years ago

Late last night / early this morning, an entity sold 79000 Bitcoin in one drop on coinbase pro. That’s about $2.5 billion worth.
The part that leads me to think this was an attempt to purposely drop bitcoins value is that it was done on coinbase pro, a public exchange. Most sales this big are otc.
Considering such a large public sale, I think the price has held up well. Shows lots of people are currently buying.

#2881 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I picked up some more BTC and some more ADA.

I won $1000 recently in a playoff hockey pool, and just used it to buy more Ada at 1.11 and 1.06. Even if things go lower, I’m happy buying at those levels and holding long term. I just watched an update video from Charles Hoskinson that Cardanos smart contracts are still on track for full integration by September.

#2884 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:holy shitballs
do the forensic types have any clues?

sarcasm.gifsarcasm.gif

#2893 2 years ago

Yesterday I had ultimately decided on more ADA, but I almost bought AGIX and LINK. I think LINK will do very well moving forward. $13.50 yesterday would've been a solid price to get in at. Let alone the $1.84 you scooped it up at last year!

#2901 2 years ago

Tinfoil hat time:
I've been telling a friend that contrary to what everyone else thinks going into this week, I'm going to bet on bitcoin (and therefor crypto as a larger whole) actually having an ok week. There's the upcoming bitcoin conference on Wednesday, which will have a group discussion featuring Jack Dorsey, Cathie Wood and Elon Musk. Tesla is set to release Q2 report next Monday. If Tesla is actually still holding most of their bitcoin (which I believe they are, as they said they were suspending taking it as a payment, not that they were selling their bag) then I also believe Elon is going to go into the bitcoin conference with a pro bitcoin attitude. They will talk about how bitcoin is going greener, dispel some myths, and possibly even announce that Tesla will accept bitcoin again, or will at least be considering it again. A boost to bitcoins value will help their Q2 report the following Monday, and therefor boost Tesla as a whole.
Its a very specific order of events, but that's why I'm calling it my tinfoil hat prediction haha.
I bought some crypto today, and I've set aside some money for later this week too if I'm wrong (which could easily be the case).

Elon just announced that he owns Bitcoin, that Tesla owns Bitcoin, and that SpaceX owns Bitcoin.
He also announced that Tesla will most likely resume accepting Bitcoin payments.

#2921 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

It’s gonna crash again soon, but this rocket made for some good profits. Ride the wave!

Not sure what this week will bring, but it’s definitely not crashing tonight!

#2922 2 years ago

Amazon is rumoured to be announcing accepting crypto soon as payment, as well as introducing their own coin in the future. It’s rumoured that the first four cryptos it will accept Are Bitcoin, ethereum, cardano and Bitcoin cash.

#2925 2 years ago

A lot of shorts got squeezed today too, so that’s at least part of the reason for bitcoins jump.

1 week later
#2981 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

I've been "in" since March and still have no idea what I'm doing. But my ADA has made me 14 ADA in interest so I've got that going for me.

I'm happily still holding and staking as well. It's pretty awesome to get more ADA just by staking and forgetting about it. I believe I'm up to just over 200 free ADA from staking. It definitely makes it easier to simply hold and wait out the low times.

#2984 2 years ago

A lot of people make/made fun of Cardano for concentrating so hard on having hundreds of papers written and taking such a scientific and often time consuming approach. I believe that if the SEC comes down hard with regulations, Cardano will be one of the best to handle it, as they have seemingly been preparing for it for years. Charles has always maintained that he knew as crypto continued to grow that regulations would eventually come, so he and his team have shaped Cardano with that in mind.

#2989 2 years ago
Quoted from Adydar:

Where do you guys do your staking and with which pool? Full disclosure, I may be using terms incorrectly

I store my Ada on a ledger cold wallet. I use Adalite to interface with the Cardano blockchain, and I am currently with Sunny Pool #2 I believe. Hopefully I worded that half decently, I'm pretty new to all this as well haha.

#2991 2 years ago

Ethereum's eip-1559 is scheduled for tomorrow. If everything goes smoothly, I could see Eth getting a nice boost in price from it. I think a lot of people are excited for the beginning of eth fee burning (except maybe the miners, though maybe they are ok with it now).

https://cointelegraph.com/news/ethereum-s-london-hard-fork-expected-to-arrive-on-thursday-ushering-in-eip-1559

#2993 2 years ago

Ethereum's eip-1559 is scheduled for tomorrow. If everything goes smoothly, I could see Eth getting a nice boost in price from it. I think a lot of people are excited for the beginning of eth fee burning (except maybe the miners, though maybe they are ok with it now).
https://cointelegraph.com/news/ethereum-s-london-hard-fork-expected-to-arrive-on-thursday-ushering-in-eip-1559

Looks like eip-1559 went through successfully, which is awesome to see. I own ADA, but I'd like to see most of the top crypto succeed, so it was great to see a successful fork for Ethereum. It sounds like the burning of a % of the Eth fees has already started, which should help the value of existing ethereum rise, which is great for those holding. I did read that the fees, while being more predictable, have gone up though. Is that true? It's the first day after the hard fork, so its hard to know what things will exactly look like quite yet.

#2998 2 years ago

Seems like it might be!
Though this still has me a bit nervous. It's scary that people with such low knowledge about crypto can have such a large say in the direction the U.S.A government takes it in:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/08/06/crypto-bitcoin-infrastructure-senate/
Hopefully the senators that better understand it can have their voices heard before its too late.

#3013 2 years ago

DB137F11-917A-414F-B082-D55FD98492AF (resized).pngDB137F11-917A-414F-B082-D55FD98492AF (resized).png

#3015 2 years ago

First I saw this an hour ago:

B3844FB1-0F88-41B0-9943-0D7F1069AB50 (resized).jpegB3844FB1-0F88-41B0-9943-0D7F1069AB50 (resized).jpeg

Now I just saw this:

B908C898-8FAF-4370-A318-1420604C8864 (resized).pngB908C898-8FAF-4370-A318-1420604C8864 (resized).png

#3026 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Wish more people would wake up to this, they pander to whatever group to get elected and just do the lobbyist's bidding once in office.

There's some really deep pockets in crypto now, and even more this year due to institutional buying. You think that some of those voices would be able to influence things to get passed the way crypto investors would want. Maybe its not quite there yet though.

#3031 2 years ago

But didn't the original protect proof of work crypto, namely bitcoin? It was more so damaging to the proof of stake crypto. So my belief was that bitcoin will be fine, hence it still going up in value. And all the other crypto still follow bitcoins lead, hence why they are up too, whether the bill and amendments are potentially hurtful or not. To be truthful though this has all been a bit over my head so far.

#3034 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

The proof of stake effects lightning node operators.

Ah good point! I hadn't thought of that.
Regardless of where this all leads to, I'm planning on holding and staking my ADA. If prices tank, I'll buy more cheap. If prices rise, I'll take a bit of profit and keep holding the rest. I'm really planning on holding long term unless prices go completely silly in the short term.

#3037 2 years ago

From the link above:
"However, the compromise comes after the Senate conducted a number of procedural votes late Sunday to advance the bill’s original text. Unless the Senate can achieve unanimous consent on the compromise before a final vote by Tuesday, the legislative body will send the original provision to the House of Representatives."

So not out of the woods yet, but at least there's some positive hope.

#3052 2 years ago

From the link above:
"However, the compromise comes after the Senate conducted a number of procedural votes late Sunday to advance the bill’s original text. Unless the Senate can achieve unanimous consent on the compromise before a final vote by Tuesday, the legislative body will send the original provision to the House of Representatives."
So not out of the woods yet, but at least there's some positive hope.

4A19CE9C-57C3-4869-8BD0-0248C0C7B12E (resized).png4A19CE9C-57C3-4869-8BD0-0248C0C7B12E (resized).png

#3055 2 years ago

Looks like we got screwed by the 87 year old guy from Alabama objecting to the unanimous vote required to add the amendment. Supposedly he did that because someone wouldn’t agree to his unrelated amendment.
I really, really hate politicians.

9EF317B3-2F2D-4F20-9353-22C99502789D.gif9EF317B3-2F2D-4F20-9353-22C99502789D.gif

#3060 2 years ago

Woke up to a nice little ADA jump this morning.

#3064 2 years ago

Woke up to a nice little ADA jump this morning.

and it just keeps pumping! up 16% to 1.69 us currently

#3066 2 years ago

Can I just post what I always post?
I wish I had more.

504795FF-19E9-4277-8D3E-A55BA12054F1 (resized).jpeg504795FF-19E9-4277-8D3E-A55BA12054F1 (resized).jpeg

#3073 2 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Would not be surprised if it does pass $2 shortly after announcement (assuming it is news We want to hear)

Or just come be a Canadian like me, its already $2.33 up here! lol

#3082 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:Would a sign that the USA Federal Reserve begins acquiring BTC be considered a "tipping point" for adoption?
I'm super curious about the upcoming Powell reports... https://www.reuters.com/business/feds-powell-says-stablecoins-need-appropriate-regulatory-framework-2021-07-14/
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/16/jerome-powell-promotes-cbdc-digital-dollar-warns-against-stablecoins.html
I don't see USA moving to ban crypto like some other countries do, but then I feel like there are two other primary outcomes:
1) Federal Reserve gives in and adopts status quo crypto, markets spike, y'all get NIBs
2) the Feds try their hand at CBDC and then use that as a piecemeal cudgel against other crypto coins

I can't see them banning crypto either.
A theory I have is that the USA's stance on crypto changed a fair bit this year, with the exodus of bitcoin mining from China. If enough miners move to the US, then I could see them being a lot more pro crypto in the future, as they would have a bit more control and to gain from it.
I feel that crypto adoption has already taken leaps and bounds this year, and that it will continue to do so. But things such as a US CBDC, federal reserve adoption, etc. are likely still a few years away at least.

#3086 2 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I have been offline for a while and have not read the full thread but am interested if anyone is vested in xrp/ripple? I personally am vested in xrp and hoping it does well.

I never did buy into xrp, the investigation kind of scared me off. But it sure is moving up today, so that's great to see for anyone who does own some!

#3094 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

never goes straight up.... everything still way up over last 10 days or so. Ill take it!

Yeah even with a bit of a drop today, we are still up so much this week that I can't see it as a dip yet. Though I do agree with Astropin , the last few Fridays have been pump days due to good news, momentum, shorts being squeezed, etc. So I'm guessing tomorrow will be a decent green day. Charles is also sharing some good Cardano news tomorrow, including the official set day for smart contracts to launch, so I'm quite pumped for tomorrow to get here.

#3101 2 years ago

Cardanos trying hard to push past the $2.00us mark, but I imagine it will be facing a lot of sell orders at that price.

#3110 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I like Cardano but I have a hard time seeing it really moon. 6x from here would give it a bigger market cap than ETH...and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Still, we could see a 2-3x from here.

I'd be more than happy with a 2-3x from here on this bull run. Which I think it can still do. They're introducing smart contracts when crypto fever is starting to pick back up. If they can successful start running smart contracts, with low fees and fast transaction times, as well as the erc-20 converter, they might just gain a few more fans this bull run. And then next bull run, I feel Cardano and Ethereum will really shine. Blockchain technology and use are only going up from here. Though I do believe Bitcoin will always be the king.
Also Cardano started this bull run at .14 cents. So no matter what level it exactly hits, I feel it will be safe to say it mooned by the end of it lol.

#3113 2 years ago

cardano (resized).JPGcardano (resized).JPG

#3115 2 years ago

pinside (resized).JPGpinside (resized).JPG

Six months later, its fun to look back at when I first jumped in. Shoutout to Pdxmonkey and everyone else here for encouraging me to just jump in, regardless of how big or small I wanted to go. Now I'm closing in on 12,000 ADA, and I still am tempted to buy more haha. Though maybe I'll just let my staking be my gains for now until we get a decent pullback.

#3133 2 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Just cashed out a fraction of my ADA and got back my initial investment.
Something I’ll probably regret in the years to come but sure feels good right now.

Good on you for doing that though. Now you can ride the rest worry free.
I want to do the same, but I keep changing my mind on what price I want to cash out a bit to cover my initial investment. Knowing me I’ll push my luck to far and not get it done before the next bear market happens lol. We shall see.

#3173 2 years ago

4FB6A61A-8C44-4A77-8C40-AAF380CF2332.gif4FB6A61A-8C44-4A77-8C40-AAF380CF2332.gif

306 posts in this topic match your search for posts by sixtyfourbits. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixtyfourbits.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi?tu=sixtyfourbits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.