(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,246 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Pdxmonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png
btc (resized).jpg
IMG_7715 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #438 Bitcoin gain loss chart by month from 2011 to Feb 2021 Posted by Pdxmonkey (3 years ago)

Post #946 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (3 years ago)

Post #3247 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1672 2 years ago

New guy here. Well established real estate investor, bored with the stock market and have a healthy distrust of the government. I set up a Coinbase account and took the Bitcoin plunge yesterday. I feel like I'm late to the party but at the same time my timing could be pretty good.

I have a lot to learn and I appreciate the intelligent voices in this thread. Nice to see some familiar avatars too.

3 weeks later
#2346 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

The irony of it being El Salvador first isn’t lost either, how many more countries adapt this year? Paraguay, Panama, Mexico and Brazil seem likely, the biggest barriers will be getting everyone a smart phone education and setting up lightning nodes.

I found it interesting from the article you posted earlier, that 1/4 of El Salvador's population lives in the United States which means they will be buying Bitcoin here in the US also. And I agree with your ripple effect theory to other countries.

""The U.S. dollar is El Salvador's official currency. About one quarter of El Salvador's citizens live in the United States and last year, despite the pandemic, they sent home more than $6 billion in remittances"".

#2349 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Well, now Bitcoin and the US dollar are El Salvador's official currencies. Once this new law takes effect, if you walk into a McDonald's in El Salvador and want to buy a small fries with Bitcoin...they must accept that payment.

I think I'll order it with DoorDash instead.

#2426 2 years ago

I'm really digging El Salvador's President now that he's hit my radar. He really seems committed to Bitcoin as a young and charismatic leader. And he's going Green with his country mining it.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/11/1005231250/el-salvador-plans-to-use-electricity-generated-from-volcanoes-to-mine-bitcoin

#2452 2 years ago

Here's a cut/paste and edit for brevity of an article I found on Bitcoin power consumption.

""Bitcoin mining is an energy-intensive process. But determining the environmental impact is hard. Consider the entire global banking system, and all of the energy required to process bank transactions and power office buildings, ATMs, local branches, and much more.

Recent research by New York-based fund Ark Investment Management concludes that “Bitcoin is much more efficient than traditional banking and gold mining on a global scale.”

The Cambridge researchers concluded: “Bitcoin’s environmental footprint currently remains marginal at best.” "

#2461 2 years ago

I have gold crowns on three of my back molars that are hard to see unless I'm laughing. Pretty sure my daughter, who takes after me, will sift my ashes after I'm gone.
(sniff, proud)

#2483 2 years ago
zzzzzEXBt0GdWAAAtBM7 (resized).jpgzzzzzEXBt0GdWAAAtBM7 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2643 2 years ago

What a fascinating character he was. Very sorry to hear.

#2725 2 years ago

We're all gamblers on this ride.

zzBitcoin-performance 2 (resized).jpgzzBitcoin-performance 2 (resized).jpg

(I like how Bitcoin is calmly holding her hand)

4 weeks later
#2933 2 years ago

The news is a bit muddled but I'm still taking it as encouraging. Here's the Bloomberg report that may clarify things.

"Amazon Job Posting Hints at Plan to Accept Cryptocurrency"

"An Amazon job posting published online last week seeks a “Digital Currency and Blockchain Product Lead.” After Insider reported the existence of the posting earlier, Bitcoin surged to about $40,000. Amazon shares gained about 1% in New York"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-26/amazon-job-posting-hints-at-plan-to-accept-cryptocurrency

1 week later
#2990 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I bought in a few times at around 31

I bought the BTC dip too and also picked up some Ethereum around the same time at a great price.
I'm new to crypto but not investing. Even the volatility is, umm... entertaining.

I'm having a great time researching/learning and many of you guys here are great. I especially appreciate links to appropriate articles that you guys find and I will do the same.

#3023 2 years ago

Other than window dressing, both parties have become indistinguishable to me.
Which leg do you want broken? Your left or your right.

#3035 2 years ago

Could be we are all over thinking it here. We live in a society that only reads headlines/opening paragraph and quickly moves on. People sitting on the sidelines only see that congress is discussing Bitcoin, which thereby gives crypto legitimacy.

Keep in mind crypto is still an infant and I'm hoping herd mentality kicks in here. Assuming that we continue to survive 30,000 as the new bottom. (BTC)

FYI. I welcome and encourage disagreement.

2 months later
#4232 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Just looks like some guy wearing white pants, a Covid mask and sunglasses bent over and looking at you between his legs.
[quoted image]

Needs a Deeproot logo.

1 week later
#4384 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

My shitcoin Pussy is mooning.

I dare you to say that to a stranger.

#4413 2 years ago

I listed a game for sale here on Pinside.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/4-in-1#post-6580999

If you look at the bottom of my ad, I have written in Bitcoin as a payment option. To be honest, I'm new to Crypto and I haven't a clue as to how I would handle that if someone were to take me up on it. But this is how I learn.
I have an account at Coinbase with BTC and ETH in it.

Good idea, bad idea, complicated idea? Risky? I appreciate any thoughts. - Thanks.

3 months later
#5823 2 years ago

https://decrypt.co/92856/coinbase-super-bowl

zzzzz zzBitcoin (resized).pngzzzzz zzBitcoin (resized).png
#5840 2 years ago
Quoted from irobot:

Note that I probably have more money invested in Bitcoin than 95% of the people in this thread.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5855 2 years ago
Quoted from irobot:

LOL
The point isn't to brag. The point is that I call bitcoin garbage and then get dogpiled by people who have 1/10 as much money in it.
bitcoin is a VERY RISKY investment, and all the internet cheerleading and theorizing and chitter chatter in the world doesn't change that fact.
proceed if you like, but know what you are doing: you are gambling.
I wrote this to be a friend. Not to brag.
there is nobody who can put an accurate price tag on bitcoin. nobody knows what it will be worth in 10 years. it's a total crappshoot.
Personally, I'll be invested in it until the big banks start bagging on it. Right now, it's all smiles and backslaps.

Disagree. In my view your comment was an unnecessary point and was intended to brag. Don't sweat it, the internet is full of big shots.

Your further point seem to be that you are all knowing while we are brainless lemmings running over a cliff. Not sure what compelled you to warn us but had you joined this thread long ago, you would know that many of us have repeatedly spoken of the risks and volatility of Crypto. Its also been well establish here that no one should invest more than they can afford to lose. Also known as common sense.

Wow, Bitcoin is risky and speculative. - Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

2 months later
#6222 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

I would watch the hell out of a TV series based on that premise, truth or not.

There's a fictional drama series called, Billions, on Showtime that I highly, highly recommend.

Binge worthy
(First few episodes in season one are character building and moderately slow. After that it really takes off).

1 month later
#6780 1 year ago
Quoted from Damen:

I don’t know something about 2020 and 666 just
doesn’t seem like a funny coincidence.

My psychic says that conflicts with my birth sign and my previous life as an Egyption Pharaoh

5 months later
#7359 1 year ago

I'm not going in. I'm already getting enough hate for my Fathom ad.

#7361 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The $100 contest kept the dogs at bay for a page but it was only a matter of time!

I could have strung the distraction out further but Pinside no longer allows boob pictures

#7372 1 year ago

Even Steve Bannon is disgusted, warning people to stay away and saying that his advisors should all be fired.

#7394 1 year ago

Elon Musk is a complex and fascinating man to me despite some of his controversies. He's said and done some things I don't care for but I find him brilliant and a visionary. SpaceX is the coolest company of my lifetime.

#7396 1 year ago

His Wikipedia page needs to be updated.

#7406 1 year ago

Billionaire forced to live in parents basement.

This inflation is worse than I thought.

#7408 1 year ago

Yep, thanks for the correction. Seems like only a month ago he was a Billionaire.

#7411 1 year ago
Quoted from mojozone:

250 million...did I hear that right?

Yes, that's correct. Consider that Bernie Madoff's bail amount was a meager 10 million.

Bankman-Fried's parents have pledged their home as collateral to the 250 million.
That must be one hell of a home and I'm guessing Sam was a spoiled kid.

#7414 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yeah 10% for bail upfront. The house is appraised at 4million.

derp, I forgot it was 10%. It's been a long time since I needed bail money...

Imagine being a parent and hearing about 250 million for bail. ...And I use to worry about my daughter coming home pregnant.
ha ha

6 months later
#7844 9 months ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

I take it you aren't familiar with Dan Pena.

Do you mean, Dan Crackpipe Pena?

5 months later
#7951 3 months ago

I was going to convert my ETH into Bitcoin at some point. Bitcoin being my largest crypto holding. But I bought ETH when it was down and it keeps doing well for me, especially recently. And I'm now backing away from that idea.

I still consider myself a crypto neophyte and I research when time permits. I'm just seeking opinions here on that move and ETH, to compare or contrast with what I'm reading.

Thanks

#7955 3 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

What percent are you Eth vs btc atm and is your Eth staked?

20% and not staked

2 weeks later
#7991 3 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Looks like Eth was the play today

Really glad I changed my mind and held it all. Sometimes it pays to procrastinate.

1 month later
#8112 43 days ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#8143 35 days ago

BlackRock's confidence in Coinbase is reassuring to someone like me.

1 week later
#8167 23 days ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Blackrock is getting into tokenomics.

For a moment there, I thought Blackrock was investing in Marijuana.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi?tu=mr68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.