(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,239 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png
btc (resized).jpg
IMG_7715 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240301-124124 (resized).png
20240229_085145 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #438 Bitcoin gain loss chart by month from 2011 to Feb 2021 Posted by Pdxmonkey (3 years ago)

Post #946 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (3 years ago)

Post #3247 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

This thread should be a little easier for people to find, and exists to home broader topics beyond just Bitcoin.

Topics we hope to cover:
•Mining
•Crypto exchanges
•DeFi projects
•Best practice
•How-to’s and tutorials for those looking to test the waters
•Hot vs. Cold wallets/storage
•Keyed pairs and what constitutes Ownership

We will be sure to actively mark informative key posts to ensure the same, common questions are covered and to avoid confusion with multiple explanations.

This may even include branching into existing topics such as trust funds and publicly traded companies that work with Crypto.

Rules will be added to this post later as well. Over time this main post will be edited with links to the most pertinent subjects and their associated posts.

Hopefully this can condense some topics and bring together some others who may be scattered across vague threads, so we can have a cohesive and uniform place to share with other enthusiastic participants of Decentralized Finance.

60CC08C0-AD3F-4834-A094-0D2D32093E35.gif60CC08C0-AD3F-4834-A094-0D2D32093E35.gifABFD0836-2574-41C9-B3B2-F2235C76455A.gifABFD0836-2574-41C9-B3B2-F2235C76455A.gif

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

OP you should add Bitcoin right after cryptocurrency in the title.

Added, thanks for joining guys!
I hope to learn more about staking as well. A buddy of mine has been harassing me to start doing it, I just accepted a new job that will free up my schedule and allow me to invest more in crypto. Looking forward to learning and cultivating an informative crypto community here while we all play pinball

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from JRBBRJ:

I don’t really understand why doge is up so much. I have some cheap enough that I hope it does go to the moon. But why is my question I guess

Doge is a memecurrency, started as a joke. It’s not really mocking crypto, it was just made to be a silly and fun way to participate in crypto. Similar to paper stocks almost. It actually has found a very useful and fruitful life as a sort of digital tipping currency. We see it emulated on Twitch and Youtube and Reddit.

I don’t participate in any of those. However, tipping users in tiny bits, or coins, or karma has been ridiculously popular. It is infinite theoretically but in reality it started with a 100 billion cap, then the creator decided to add 5b extra every year for miners to account for inflation and keep the crypto ecosystem alive for Dogecoin. I bought in around .005 I believe, but have sold most of mine off.

Maybe it’s finally coming into its own, hard to say. I don’t see Doge really going beyond maybe 10¢ considering the monstrous holdings of early adopters. Compared to bitcoin the whales hold ridiculous amounts of Doge. For the costs back then, Doge’s percentage increase rivals bitcoin.

BitMEX apparently holds the blame for blowing up Doge: “BitMEX signed a perpetual trade exchange value contract with Dogecoin as well. This is a huge deal. it provides a proper value to Dogecoin and its ability to trade directly with Bitcoin and other currencies.”
https://theglobalcoverage.com/2021/02/05/dogecoins-6th-february-prediction-doge-percentage-of-pump/

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Doge
Infinite supply
14.4 million daily new coins
No decay
Massive supply in OG wallets
Versus
Memes

Quoted from Astropin:

Doge is 100% pump-n-dump. Just don't get caught on the wrong side of that equation. There is no cap on doge...there will be trillions of them if people keep mining...no limit. Think about what that means for its future value. It has no future.

There is a limit. Right now there are 128 billion Dogecoins. There is an extra ~5b or so added every year to curb its inflation rate. Even at that rate, adding 5 billion every year, it will take ~174 years to get 1 trillion Doge in circulation.

Dogecoin is a meme but it’s not as crazy as you guys suggest, there are plenty of other shitcoins that are genuinely unlimited.

Compared to the Fed, 5 billion a year is child’s play!

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I would still be ahead with a 50% drop...so yeah, I'd be okay. When I first got involved in 2017 I invested a total of 32k into crypto (mostly Bitcoin). I watched as that investment shot up in Dec. of 2017 to peak over 100k. Then I watched it drop all the way down to low of 11k! Never sold any of it. Today, I'm very glad I never sold.
I'll put it this way...the way things are going I'm planning on retiring a little early. If my crypto tanks...I just won't retire early.

Here’s a good one.
Just drives you mad wishing I put more in!!
Bitcoin was only $300 at this time and we all thought that was expensive...

C0F67982-1607-4814-ABA0-0567D723F440.jpegC0F67982-1607-4814-ABA0-0567D723F440.jpeg
#170 3 years ago

Someone asked about Etherium Classic vs Etherium on the Stock thread so I figured I’d write the story out here and include some good links.

The story: a totally independent, decentralized fund was created. Everyone invested could vote on what they wanted to invest in.
(Imagine if on Pinside everyone here on this thread was able to place a vote for what stocks we bought as a collective.)

This unregulated, leaderless fund sounded like a great idea, except it had securities flaws right off the bat and was immediately hacked. The hacker was able to constantly spend those tokens to his OWN WALLET to the tune of 3.6 million ether. (50 million USD at the time, and $6.5 BILLION today.)

There was a huge debate in the community with what to do. There was a 28 day grace period before the funds actually transferred completely. But because nobody ran the fund it was impossible to revert the money back.

So after the devs tried and failed to use the exact same hack to SAVE the ether, the creator of Etherium himself suggested they do a hard fork. That means if enough people running the Etherium protocol agree to disregard the entire creator of the DAO on the blockchain, then it would be killed or forked away from that block.

The problem is some diehard supporters of blockchain and Etherium believe this is against the cardinal rule of the blockchain. Everything that happens should be permanent and unchangeable. They argue whatever happens positive or negative is the true nature of the blockchain and changing it is unethical.

The group who believe “Code Is Law” and that blockchain should remain unchanged are who runs Etherium Classic now.

The 89% of people who wanted to “erase” the hack agreed to the hard fork and since they were the majority the hard fork kept the Etherium name.

Etherium Classic is the original, unaltered version where $6 billion USD of Ether is sitting in a hackers wallet, ready to be spent. They did convert 100k Ether into bitcoin but never touched the other 3.5m
Obviously Etherium is better as it has had many updates (also called forks) that have made it better and better.

They are called forks because obviously 2 identical splits are made. They share the entire history of blockchain up until the fork.

Some good reads:

https://www.crypto-news-flash.com/what-is-ethereum-classic-etc-dao-hack-comparison-with-eth-roadmap/

https://www.tokenmeister.com/blog/blockchain/the-dao-hack-the-story-of-the-strangest-digital-attack/

#188 3 years ago

I’m in an announcement channel that keeps me abreast of WSB and other social media market hijinks. Their latest was suggesting these dips we are seeing is due to whales trying to shake free any uncertainty in crypto and liquidate large short positions. Seems like it hasn’t been working and has steeled most traders

#296 3 years ago

Bitcoin at $57k and showing no signs of stopping! Madness.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

BITCOIN KEEPS CRUSHING IT!
New all-time high $29,321.90!
Now the 11th most valuable asset on the planet by market cap. Only 5 billion away from surpassing Berkshire Hathaway and ranking the Top 10.
As I’ve been saying, I’m fairly confident in my mid January statement, we’ll see 40k at least before the ass falls out on this one. It’s going to be a bloodbath as it just roars past everything.
Be prepared. HODLing hard here ready to buy buy buy when the big drop happens.
Should we start a Crypto traders thread?

After nailing my previous call, I feel confident in saying we’ll likely push into 75k territory before the next pullback. Looks like “the *next* big drop” is gonna be a long way out yet!

#339 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

and just like that... im out. I don't have the stomach for this crap. Good luck to you all.

You don’t get rich overnight. HODL isn’t a “meme” it is a mentality.

If you check prices every day and every hour, weak hands may get psyched out and sell for a loss.

If you are a long-term buyer and pick a date in your head, these fluctuations are meaningless. Say you bought January 2020 and said “I will hold for a year and sell”
You would have paid ~8k for one Bitcoin and sold for around ~30-39k USD in Jan 2021.

It’s all about how you look at it! Remember it’s not “lost” till you sell! (DON’T SELL)

#364 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Is this all because Elon musk said he thinks Bitcoin and ether are a bit over priced right now? Last night I saw Ada hit .87, but it’s back at .97. Considering what some coins are doing, I’m ok with it hovering around a dollar

It’s because Yellen just said she thinks crypto is bad and they plan on “regulating” it. (As if they can lmfao) bitcoin is STILL banned in China and yet 40% of miners are located in China and they crack down on them all the time.

They MONITOR electricity to determine who may be mining and yet still thousands are risking it. Regulation by any government means little.

2 months later
#1902 2 years ago

Haven’t been able to really check this thread often, but I see the FUDer’s are hard at work still. I’m baffled why so many of these geniuses who have “figured out the market” still post in this thread if it’s all a big political conspiracy?

Here’s the truth for all you crypto cats in here: the bitcoin market has been controlled by whales since the beginning. Nearly 90% of bitcoin is stored in less than 1% of wallets. A dear friend of mine bought into bitcoin way way back before most people even registered on Pinside. He is seriously part of that 1%. His “hot wallet” has over 300 bitcoin in it that he just uses for spur-of-the-moment trading. The majority of his ₿ are stored offline.

You can pay for some of the whale monitoring services, they pick the tips and the bottoms for this market.
Buy it and hold. Buy more when it goes on sale.

Anyone who doubts this or calls it a conspiracy is just sad and deluded. Should have bought ETH back when I was saying it’s gonna triple. Here we are. 2.0 is realized and it’s gonna keep going. Most of these artificial drops we are seeing are being done by the big whales to test the market and shake out loose hands while also panicking institutions to try and keep the price somewhat low.

Price means nothing to whales, it’s all about how many bitcoins you have and who has them. Look for the next big coin that will add actual utility to the crypto market. Crypto has stagnated and lots of coins are underwhelming right now. Hopefully we will see some real innovation soon.

6 months later
#5149 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Your SVS vamp is NOT a failure, you stake and HODL that NFT. Check back in a year and tell me it was a failure
https://twitter.com/ForeverOnly23/status/1471580859023216646
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, I've been ignoring crypto and just HODLing for pretty much the whole year.

NGL I don't understand what the digital-monkey's is going on here.
I don't understand these NFTs or staking at all. I wanted to get into it but it appears like they required a shitton of KYC and I'm not into that. Crypto is supposed to be anonymous, but they expect to tied everything to my banks and government ID?? WTF

#5151 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You don’t need any kyc for NFTs

How do you get into it? Seems like I need to get ETH from somewhere and transfer it to the NFT marketplace of my choosing? How does this whole minting thing work?

2 months later
#5862 2 years ago
Quoted from irobot:

It's not a bad guess for me to assume that I have more invested in crypto than 95% of the general public. Which we all are. Because my net worth is high and statistically, crypto investors tend to be young people.

I have no crypto. Everything was lost in a tragic house-boat server farm accident.

Continue bragging and good luck when the IRS changes their mind and comes knocking.

#5863 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60383385
I hope Canadian hardware wallet sales spike today.

Suddenly the laymen begin to understand why gentlemen like ourselves have been discussing crypto for 10 years. Overreach is just insane, and it’s very sad people cannot even do what they please with their own money without permission from the state.

#5871 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Why not start a separate thread if you want to share your newfound love for Canadian civil disobedience? No one here is remotely interested (other than the robot guy, but I bet he'd come join you).

Sorry I ragged on your sacred cow. The dude has been quite hostile to crypto, so not sure why you want to defend him.

I do wish that governments would make up their mind. Is crypto legit, or is it just a big joke? When it supports their interests they hand-wave it. When it goes against them, they demonize it.

Crypto is financial democracy, something we desperately need if people want to speak for themselves.

It’s been a good month to buy!

#5875 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You misunderstand me. If you want to discuss Trudeau's crypto policies by all means carry on. But you seem more interested in repping vaccine protestors and sharing your collection of vintage blackface pics.

I could say the exact same to you. You posted some goofy meme in response to your hero getting called out. Trudeau’s long history of blatant racism as well as using other peoples culture as a costume to virtue signal with, is actually quite related regarding his go-to deflection of “racism” or “equality” to excuse the endless terrible choices of his administration. The most troubling issue being his attack on crypto. That is pretty atrocious and brings us right back to square one!
https://news.bitcoin.com/trudeau-invokes-emergencies-act-end-freedom-convoy-protests-canadas-terrorist-financing-rules-crypto/

Quoted from Baiter:

Damn this thread took a dive. I'd recommend any newbies scroll the previous 100 pages so we don't repeatedly debate the same topics.
PS: a "marxist dictator" is an oxymoron.
PPS: It's inevitable a political discussion will seep into a crypto discussion due to regulations and taxation, but beyond that, half the reason Bitcoin was invented was to be a superior form of currency than any country has provided throughout history due to the inevitability of bad monetary policy. see "The Bitcoin Standard", prescient in so many ways to what's going on right now.

Thank you, this is what I was circling back to.

Trudeau’s abuse of power, now being used to attack crypto, is at the heart of why Bitcoin exists.
This isn’t some silly speculative con, this is a genuine currency, with utility, meant to end the global reign of financial terrorism holding the people of the free world hostage.

This concept that someone in “power” can decide how you use your money on a whim is nauseating. If you support that then you DON’T believe in crypto.

2 months later
#6286 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

They're referring to UST and LUNA bagholders. I know several people who lost 6-7 figures on each.
The subreddit for LUNA has a suicide hotline number pinned to the top, and many posts from users contemplating suicide after losing everything.
The headline is brash, but it isn't too far off at this time.
Hope any and all affected make it out okay. <3

This isn’t new or anything, this is chump change and hilarious. The original suicide hotline thing was when Bitcoin actually crashed in 2017 after hitting 20k and then cratering to near 2k.

This sell-off is huge but high 20s almost 30k range is still huge money compared to the losses of 2017. Also 2017 was the first time this ever happened. Now we’ve already seen that Bitcoin can and will come back from the brink, several times. Even this thread is calm, comparatively.

The novelty and utter shock and terror when Bitcoin was fresh and new, the market wasn’t flooded with shitcoins, and institutional buyers didn’t even exist, is not compatible with today’s hiccup in the market were Tesla and big banks own shitloads of Bitcoin.

We know that there is now a strong layer of intrinsic value to Bitcoin and we know at this level of adoption, it will never go away.

#6288 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

You'd have to be a LUNAtic to buy LUNA at this point, but maybe a fun gamble as others mentioned. Not for me, what a disaster.
https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/crypto/luna-cryptocurrency-collapse-how-ust-broke-and-why-it-matters/

This article is great, but another reason why I don’t bother with literally anything other than Bitcoin and Ethereum. I don’t believe in any of the other protocols and teams behind these endless shitcoins.
Satoshi was an absolute genius and his code is a marvelous piece of work.
Bitcoin is 13 years old now. That’s crazy that it’s still standing. It’s only had a handful of minor updates, it’s otherwise the work of a genius and unbelievable it’s withstood the test of time in cyberspace.
The rest of the coins are just gambling and hoping they have their stuff together. There are lots of clueless imbeciles and conmen in the computer space. The true geniuses are few and far between and it’s hard to imagine they all decided to work on different, impeccable coins

Stablecoins are a joke as being pegged to fiat is completely nonsensical. The USD is near worthless and the inflationary pressures are literally being lied about daily. Right now we are able to witness the absolute joke that is fiat, as the government is magically declaring value while the reality is that USD is crashing like a meteor.

That’s my soap box for tonight, this HODLer crawled out just to spread the good word, and buy more Bitcoin at sub 30k levels. Also Ethereum is a great price. 2k and under, buy all day long!

2FDB41E3-5E58-486F-8D7E-ABA953FE7636.jpeg2FDB41E3-5E58-486F-8D7E-ABA953FE7636.jpeg
1 month later
#6708 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Just rumors floating around right now...that the next crypto business that could be in trouble is Celsius.

This aged really well!!

#6709 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Well in fairness to Astro, he's made it clear for years now that he's holding Bitcoin on a decades-long timeframe, and I think he's maintained that position through at least a few Bitcoin crashes. So unless something truly exceptional happens it's more like he'll find out in 2033.

I love the skeptics.
No matter what happens, I’m still positive several thousand percent. No price will ever make me sell.
Bitcoin is here to stay.
Confident this severe recession will still push Bitcoin up once it really sets in

4 months later
#7157 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm mostly similar, holding Bitcoin and Ethereum (and buying more of each), but also staking Atom and then have a Helium miner that's trickling in Helium. The staking and miner give me some daily gains, which at least keeps things slightly interesting in a bear market.

Wow, I know I rarely post here, happy HODLer buying more, but seriously what the FUCK is going on?

Bitcoin is down to pre-2020 levels.

I will still never sell, but don’t see any reason for this insane pullback. Is it just because people are trying to cash out as the stock market is hurtling towards the center of the Earth?

#7187 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I liquidated the rest of my blue chip NFTs this week and bought $50k worth of pins to round out my collection. Taking a break from crypto and NFTs for a while and it's refreshing. Will continue to dabble and hold onto the NFTs I have left waiting for the next bull run. Crazy times right now, hope you're all hanging in there!

I don’t get the NFT market at all.
How much did it cost you for those NFTs? And don’t you get hit with taxes and such for cashing out?

The whole thing seems so weird to me

4 months later
#7584 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I swear to god he's the perfect indicator. If he says sell, you BUY! And vice versa.

Did you see his JPM and FRC tweets? Cramer is completely removed from reality...

Both down huge!

Bitcoin still struggles with large-scale adoption, as well as the layperson’s inability to understand crypto fundamentally. They still view it similar to a stock.

3 weeks later
#7673 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Actually reading about this it’s pretty interesting turns out the gov didn’t seize the btc till 2022. And it wasn’t even Ross Ulbricht btc.

Are they saying they still don’t have that ₿ and it’s out in the world?

4 months later
#7860 8 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

No...none.That being said if the bull run goes absolutely insane (like $500k Bitcoin) then I would likely sell some. But I certainly do not see that happening. I would never ever, regardless of price, sell it all.

While that's true...bitcoin is still very early in its adoption cycle. At some point the curve will shoot up and I think (based on past adoption curves) that will likely happen over the next 7 years...I could be wrong.

Agreed. Bitcoin is like a volcano, when the bulls get control, it RUNS. The adoption cycle is very early and it’s still being treated like novelty.

BIIIIIG Bitcoin dump suddenly. Anyone following? I’m getting ready to back the truck up if we get below 20k

3 months later
#7939 4 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Tell me you have absolutely no idea how the protocol works, without telling me you have absolutely no idea how the protocol works.

Agreed, can’t tell if he’s just taking the piss or not.

Either way, I’m in Bitcoin forever. Can’t be more bullish than me because I’m in it so deep I don’t even believe money will be around.

My servants will handle all my transactions; small transfers of fractional Satoshis (estimated price per satoshi around 100k)

#7940 4 months ago

I’m a bit surprised at all this pre-Christmas movement. Really figured we’d see pretty strong sell pressure till February. The halvening will be upon us soon gentlemen!

Load up now, 2024 is gonna go vertical again.

#7945 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

US savings bonds were considered "good as gold" and "any" financial institution will cash them.
At this point all of this is untrue.
Now, no banks will cash them and it can take months or even years for the government to fulfill their promise of paying you.
So much for trusting the US govenment...
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/07/business/cashing-savings-bonds.html#:~:text=Citing%20potential%20fraud%2C%20banks%20are,beneficiary%20is%20the%20federal%20government.&text=Rob%20Copeland%2C%20who%20reports%20on,from%20his%20parents%20last%20year.

Thanks for the update. I will send this to several older family members who are crazy about bonds. Might as well try moving them now. I lost faith in the Fed a long time ago.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.