(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8049 (resized).png
IMG_8038 (resized).png
IMG_8034 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #438 Bitcoin gain loss chart by month from 2011 to Feb 2021 Posted by Pdxmonkey (3 years ago)

Post #946 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (3 years ago)

Post #3247 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irobot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5829 2 years ago

Remember this:

Nothing that anyone ever says about Bitcoin will ever mean anything to you.

BECAUSE NOBODY HAS ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

AND BECAUSE THERE IS EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE OPINION BEING TYPED ONTO THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW.

People arguing about Bitcoin has been going on for a decade now, not one bit of it ever predicted the future or means anything.

10 years ago, you could have read a thread like this where SUPER-BITCOIN-FANS were saying that Bitcoin could someday, in the year 2100, be worth as much as $10,000 each!!

And SUPER-BITCOIN-HATERZ argued with them, saying that Bitcoin could never be worth more than $800 each.

All Bitcoin discussion is the same: random speculation.

In 2019, I was talking to a stock broker about the stock market and he STRONGLY advised me to GET OUT of the market. I ignored him because I'm an index investor. Index investors don't make human mistakes. Because the index doesn't make mistakes.

The guy's customers PAID him to miss out on 31%, 18% and 28% returns in 2019, 2020, and 2021. A once-in-10-lifetime chance to make money in the market simply by sticking money in a Vanguard S&P 500 fund.

if they cannot predict the stock market, how can anyone predict Bitcoin? In 10 years it could be worth $1 or $10M.

Personally, I think that Bitcoin is pure garbage, but I put a big chunk of money in it. Gambling money. That's what it is: the biggest gamble you'll ever put your money into.

#5831 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I can tell you no one has ever lost money in buying Bitcoin and holding it for four years ever.
What do you put your money in as an alternative?

I can tell you that Bitcoin as a medium of exchange is a very very very flawed medium of exchange.

Sooner or later, the laughing gas supply is going to run out and people are going to be confronted with the ACTUAL TECHNICAL FLAWS of Bitcoin.

I'm not SPECULATING about the technical flaws of Bitcoin. They exist right now, in real time.

https://fortune.com/2021/10/26/bitcoin-electricity-consumption-carbon-footprin/

I put my money in index funds. Like the Vanguard S&P 500 fund. And I leave it there, no matter what. Statistically, I will beat 85% of individual investors and 75% of managed stock funds by doing so.

Note that I probably have more money invested in Bitcoin than 95% of the people in this thread.

#5833 2 years ago

Well, you're all set then.

#5836 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

https://www.newsweek.com/clifford-stoll-why-web-wont-be-nirvana-185306?amp=1
Be interesting to see if crypto parallels the internet. Check out this article from 1995.

And what about the way that the ionosphere magnetism readings are now at 80% levels? Don't forget to factor that into the calculations.

#5837 2 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Well that is some wild speculative opinion you have there, hope your stock investment is build on more solid ground.

I already said I was an index investor for statistical reasons. It's literally impossible to invest on more solid ground than that. Because it's based on hard data. If you index invest, it is a hard statistical fact that you will beat 75%+ of other investor's returns.

It's not a bad guess for me to assume that I have more invested in crypto than 95% of the general public. Which we all are. Because my net worth is high and statistically, crypto investors tend to be young people. Young people on average have low net worth.

The point I was making is that I have a sh*theap of money invested in Bitcoin, even thought a.) I think that it's garbage, and b.) I think that ALL of the speculative chatter about it is nonsense.

The above opinion offends people who a.) think Bitcoin is great and b.) believe that speculative drivel about 1,000,000,000,000 different things can predict the future.

#5838 2 years ago

Dear Young Guys:

When Bitcoin first became a huge thing to the public, every forum on the internet exploded with Bitcoin theory.

Endless endless endless chatter about bitcoin.

People did calculations and calculations showing how bitcoin someday would be worth as much as $5,000 (!!!!!) per coin.

And other people said, NO!! BITCOIN WILL BE WORTH $200. Or $2,000. Or $20.

Endless endless endless endless endless endless argument and chatter.

10 years from now, when bitcoin is back down to $300 or up to $18 million per coin, you'll be reading the same endless blathering.

People NEVER tire of it.

#5842 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

LOL

The point isn't to brag. The point is that I call bitcoin garbage and then get dogpiled by people who have 1/10 as much money in it.

bitcoin is a VERY RISKY investment, and all the internet cheerleading and theorizing and chitter chatter in the world doesn't change that fact.

proceed if you like, but know what you are doing: you are gambling.

I wrote this to be a friend. Not to brag.

there is nobody who can put an accurate price tag on bitcoin. nobody knows what it will be worth in 10 years. it's a total crappshoot.

Personally, I'll be invested in it until the big banks start bagging on it. Right now, it's all smiles and backslaps.

#5843 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Yes, I'm sure people will be arguing about BTC 5 years from now like they do today and did 5 years ago. Can we move on now?

people will be saying it's a sure thing 5 years from now like they are doing now.

remember when bitcoin zoomed up to $60,000 and people said it would go to $100k by December 2021?

nobody knows what's going to happen. and that makes it an extremely risky investment.

THAT'S the point

#5847 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You have ZERO information to make that calculation. The people in this thread do not represent the "general population"...by a long shot.

regardless, I have plenty of skin in the game

the point being that I am not an anti-bitcoin guy. I'm a bitcoin guy with a strong sense of what is speculative nonsense and what isn't.

#5848 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I’m not going to ask you how much you have…because that’s rude and I wouldn’t answer that question but how much was it the first time you bought a significant amount?

I have enough percentage of my money in bitcoin that you would consider me a fellow "bitcoin guy."

I was just making the point that I'm not a "naysayer." The naysayers are just as bad as the bitcoin cheerleaders.

Instead, I'm sober about it.

I'm not trying to impress anyone. People who polish their wood on the internet are foolish. Who is going to be impressed by a faceless stranger boasting on the internet? For all anyone knows, I'm sitting in a trailer park in a wifebeater t-shirt with mustard stains all down the front. Waiting to go to my job at 7-11.

#5850 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:How much did it cost when you made your first significant purchase?

If you write something worth reading, I promise I'll give you a serious response.

#5852 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

What did you expect?
Go in any thread and call it garbage. Then Oh poor robot got dog piled on. I thought engineers were smart…lol

well, you make a very good point

this conversation we're having is following the usual bitcoin thread pattern to a T

so what did I expect? excellent question there

#5854 2 years ago

Justin Trudeau heaped praise on the blood-soaked marxist despot Fidel Castro.

Castro was a evil marxist dictator who ruled Cuba with violence, while the people starved.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/11/26/cuba-fidel-castros-record-repression#

And now Justin finally gets a chance to emulate his hero a little.

#5857 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:Disagree. In my view your comment was an unnecessary point and was intended to brag. Don't sweat it, the internet is full of big shots.
Your further point seem to be that you are all knowing while we are brainless lemmings running over a cliff. Not sure what compelled you to warn us but had you joined this thread long ago, you would know that many people have repeatedly spoken of the risks and volatility of Crypto. Its also been well establish here that no one should invest more than they can afford to lose. Also known as common sense.
Wow, Bitcoin is risky and gambling. - Thanks for confirming the obvious.

you should show this to all your pals so they can see how you wrote some insulty bicker stuff to a stranger

it almost never happens on the internet, so they will be amazed by it

#5858 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Well, I don't know about that...but that's a different site entirely

I used to be on the arfcom site a lot and there were a ton of "tactical" guys who were constantly striking the pose True He-man.

Well, it's pretty much the whole website.

That really soured me from wanting to either read or write any kind of internet boasting. Because eventually they would post a picture of themselves and they mostly looked like this:
EOvMnU9UYAAZGpD (resized).jpgEOvMnU9UYAAZGpD (resized).jpg

#5859 2 years ago

I've been thinking about it, whether I'm going to stick with my previous assumption that I own more bitcoin that 95% of the people in this thread.

Statistically most bitcoin buyers are young and statistically most young people don't have much net worth. Baby Boomers don't go for crypto, less than 1% of boomers have any. So that would make me think the 95% guess is a good number.

But on the other hand, pinball collecting is kind of a boomer hobby. And Boomers have a sh*tload of money to spend, because they are in the prime earning years of their life. And no more kids or mortgages to suck up all their money.

(You can tell that the Boomers have arrived when the prices of stuff skyrocket. Like $10,000 for a focking pinball machine.)

So this is a thread of crypto fans that probably has an unusually high number of boomers because they're pinball collectors.

IT'S A MYSTERY WRAPPED INSIDE AN ENIGMA.

We should have an anonymous poll to see how much crypto $$ that pinsiders are holding.

Then we could see how accurate my dastardly guess was.

What we should all do is each convince one Boomer to invest in crypto. They'll have bitcoin up to $1 million in a few days.

#5864 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Well I'm not a "boomer"...but I'm close. Also there are a fair number of young people with money. But yes, in general, this site/hobby is populated with people with an above average net worth.
I won't tell you how much I have, but it's become a sizable percentage of my net worth since I've been buying it for over 4.5 years.

if you look at the statistics, that's where the picture becomes clear

between the ages of 30-34, the average net worth is $122,700 and the median net worth is $35,112.

Between the ages of 35-39, the average is $274,112 and the median is $55,519.

Between the ages of 60 and 64, the average net worth is $1,187,730 and the median is $228,833.

Old fogies have 10x as much money as young people. But old people don't invest in crypto. 22% of the public own crypto, but only 1% of boomers.

we need to harness old fogies to pump bitcoin.

#5865 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Suddenly the laymen begin to understand why gentlemen like ourselves have been discussing crypto for 10 years. Overreach is just insane, and it’s very sad people cannot even do what they please with their own money without permission from the state.

Looks like Canada is a lost cause. They love them some authoritarianism.

One time a conservative American speaker was going to talk at a Canadian university and they told her that if she said the wrong thing she would be subject to arrest and prosecution. They were proud of it. Ha ha, we stopped you from saying stuff we don't like! Hooray!

If you dress up a despicable authoritarian thug in a cute little blow-dry hairdo and have him say nicey-nice things about diversity, they lap it up like ice cream.

He just invoked Emergency Powers. First time in Canadian history it's been invoked. To end a protest. He'll get re-elected.

a11e9209284f2c18be6fb68ae9c87483 (resized).jpga11e9209284f2c18be6fb68ae9c87483 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irobot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi?tu=irobot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.