(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8049 (resized).png
IMG_8038 (resized).png
IMG_8034 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #438 Bitcoin gain loss chart by month from 2011 to Feb 2021 Posted by Pdxmonkey (3 years ago)

Post #946 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (3 years ago)

Post #3247 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

911 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Spyderturbo007. You are on page 1 of 4.
#2 3 years ago

Anyone doing any staking? I'm staking XTZ on Coinbase at 4.63% and DOT at 12% on Kraken.

I hold some SNX, which I know you can use to mint sUSD, but I'm confused at how it works and what I'd actually do with the sUSD. Anyone staking SNX around here?

https://synthetix.community/docs/staking-strategies

I especially like the Hyper-Aggressive strategy at the bottom. Stake SNX, mint sUSD and use the minted sUSD to buy more SNX. Use the SNX you just purchased to mint more sUSD.

Talk about leverage. I'd be scared out of my brain doing something like that with mine!

#5 3 years ago

One I like is GRT. There is a really well done video if you're interested in how it works and / or what function it serves.

As for ETH 2.0 staking, I think you have to have 32ETH to become a full validator. You can do less, but your ETH is locked until new protocols are deployed, which could be tomorrow or never.

That's not for me.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

One thing I wanted to ask here, right now I am keeping all of my crpto on the exchanges I use (upload - though I'm getting my stuff transferred out of upload asap) (coinbase is now my main exchange). I understand long term that's probably not wise. What offline wallets are you all using? Or anyone using a cold wallet?

I use a Trezor for most of mine. I also have some steel plates with my 24 word mnemonic phrase on them in case of fire or something.

With that said, I’ve been slacking off lately and have more than I’m comfortable with sitting on Coinbase, Kraken and Coinbase Pro. I’ve been wanting to make some moves off exchange but gas fees are through the roof right now.

#21 3 years ago

ADA is interesting and I’ve been following it for awhile. It’s really come under the spotlight lately because ETH is just so clogged with all the DeFi transactions that people are starting to look elsewhere.

I’m not sure how many DApps are running on ADA compared to Etherium, but it’s probably not even a comparison. There are also 45 Billion tokens which is a lot.

If you look at the Coinbase Custody list, ADA isn’t even supported there, so it makes me think they lack the infrastructure currently. So it might not be as easy for them to “flip a switch” and support trading and staking.

It’s doubled in the last week or so, so I’ll probably sit that one out for now. I’d also need to move assets to either Binance or Kraken to grab some.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Bitcoin is angry...almost 46000 now

I really wished I owned more than a fraction of one.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

How much of Elon's mention of Doge was a market test for BTC? It would almost seem as though he was testing the market and how it would reply to his support before jumping in on his actual target of BTC. He made what, close to 20% just by putting his money into it? Does he have any obligation to announce that he's sold his position (could he just take the money and run)?

My understanding is that Tesla purchased BTC back in January and his DOGE tweets coincided with or were after the SEC filing.

EDIT -> Yup, here it is;

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000156459021004599/tsla-10k_20201231.htm

"In January 2021, we updated our investment policy to provide us with more flexibility to further diversify and maximize returns on our cash that is not required to maintain adequate operating liquidity. As part of the policy, we may invest a portion of such cash in certain specified alternative reserve assets. Thereafter, we invested an aggregate $1.50 billion in bitcoin under this policy. Moreover, we expect to begin accepting bitcoin as a form of payment for our products in the near future, subject to applicable laws and initially on a limited basis, which we may or may not liquidate upon receipt. Digital assets are considered indefinite-lived intangible assets under applicable accounting rules. Accordingly, any decrease in their fair values below our carrying values for such assets at any time subsequent to their acquisition will require us to recognize impairment charges, whereas we may make no upward revisions for any market price increases until a sale. As we currently intend to hold these assets long-term, these charges may negatively impact our profitability in the periods in which such impairments occur even if the overall market values of these assets increase."

#46 3 years ago

Has anyone else verified themselves on Binance.US? I wanted to deposit some fiat, but they want all that KYC / AML crap.

I did it on Coinbase, but I'm always hesitant to hand out that kind of information.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Joke or not, it's pumped up my litecoin pool to a 175% payout rate. Works for me.

Are you mining LTC I assume?

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

The Binance verification is way backed up- check out their Twitter feed, and you’ll see some peeps have waited 3+ weeks so far for verification. I just use Coinbase. No you can’t get doge there, but I’m not really interested in it...

I was eyeing SUSHI and MATIC, neither of which are on Coinbase. So I'd need to buy ETH and pay fees. Send the ETH to Binance and pay fees. Have Binance transfer it from my wallet to their wallet and pay fees and then finally be able to make my trade.

I'd seriously be paying fees 3 different times.

#54 3 years ago

Are there any mining opportunities in any of these cryptos left for someone with a relatively basic gaming PC? The feasibility of mining BTC seems long gone, but I'm not sure if there are others that might be viable.

What GPU?

I'm mining RVN. I was mining ETH until the DAG went over 4GB and I couldn't mine anymore.

#56 3 years ago

GTX 1070, so getting a little long in the tooth. I'm looking to upgrade to a 3080 once stock becomes available.

I'd mine ETH with that card assuming it's not a 4GB card. I don't think the 1070's came in 4GB, but wanted to throw that out there. Should be able to get about 26Mh/s from it. Estimated payout would be between 0.0022 and 0.0033ETH/day. Assuming $0.12kWh for electric, you should be able to pull in between $3.36 and $3.77 per day.

#59 3 years ago

Looks like you can't trade fiat - crypto pairs without a cash verification? Wonder what that's all about.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Pretty standard, I had to go through the same type of verification with coinbase, kraken, etc.

I don't remember any type of cash verification with Coinbase. I had to do the AML / KYC stuff with my ID and linking it to my bank account, but I'm not sure what Binance means by "cash verification". Unless they are going to do the small deposit thing in my account for verification.

#63 3 years ago

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try.
As a total noob on this, it looks like wallets provide the ability to mine? Any recommendation as to what one to select?

The wallet is just that, a wallet. Somewhere to store your crypto. My Trezor interfaces with MyEhterWallet (MEW), so that's what I use.

https://www.myetherwallet.com/

Once you create your wallet, you'll need to join a mining pool. I mined with Ethermine when I was mining ETH. Once you have all that setup, you'll need to actually setup the miner. A few things you'll want to be aware of when setting it up.

Make sure you change the wallet address in the .BAT file before you start mining to your own address. That way you aren't mining for someone else. Also, almost all antivirus software these days flags miners as malicious, so you'll need to add an exception for the software. There are a bunch to choose from so you'll need to do a little reading. From what I've seen lately, most people are running T-Rex or Phoenix. You'll want to research the associated dev fees and how well they work with your card.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've been verified...took a couple/few weeks. But I haven't used it yet...been too focused on BTC and ETH which I can just buy on Coinbase Pro. I have also been using Swan Bitcoin for DCA buying of Bitcoin. Works great, fee's arent bad and they will transfer to your hard wallet for no additional fee.

I'm just having problems wrapping my head around buying more BTC or ETH. The prices are really up there and we haven't seen much of a pull back since December. Every time I think it's going to pull back, it just keeps going up.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

There will always be pull backs, the question is how much.
My uneducated guess is that with more and more institutional investors buying up BTC; the downside should be more limited then in the past

I agree 100%, but the entire thing that scares me about this is the government coming in and doing what they do best......fu*&ing it all up.

I realize they can't ban it, but they can make it really, really difficult to use or convert to fiat.

I'm a hardcore crypto / blockchain advocate. I think some of the stuff in the works is going to turn out to be incredibly useful and I've been piling money into as much as I can. But there is always that lingering thought in the back of my head that Uncle Sam is going to swoop in and try to kill it.

I have been sleeping a little better at night now that companies like Tesla, Microstrategy, Overstock, Paypal, Visa, etc have been jumping on the wagon. They have a lot more firepower than we do if the government does decide to try and pull something stupid.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

For whatever reason I feel like XLM is getting closer to pop.

I hope! I'm in for 3002 XLM @ $0.154.

#81 3 years ago

I appreciate the help! Does that mean that it will just increase the intervals at which the funds would appear in my wallet, or does it mean that I may not get a cut of a block at all if I don't hit that contribution threshold?
I've been running this for a few hours, do these numbers look right? It really hasn't changed much (if at all) since when I first checked it shortly after setup. I went with 2miners. I'm not sure if there's a reason to choose one pool over another.

I'm not familiar with that pool, but you want a pool with a high total hashrate. The higher the hashrate, the more likely it is that someone finds a block. The more blocks the pool finds, the more you get paid.

What pool did you choose?c

As for hashrate, that looks right for a 1070. It will take a day or so for it to stabilize.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

So why cant I use any cyptro to buy food,gas or pay my electric bill if its worth cash.
So the way I understand it so far is we are just gambling that the world current currency will crash and become worthless and the only thing we can buy food with is cyptro that has no real backing but the current cash we have put into it today ????

You can use it to buy things. Overstock, Microsoft, NewEgg, Twitch, sports teams like the Dallas Mavericks and Miami Dolphins, Tesla and the list goes on. For vendors that don't directly accept BTC, ETH, BCH, etc, you can go through a 3rd party to make your purchases.

The dollars in your pocket have no real backing either. It's only peoples' belief that someone will accept them as payment for goods and services that make them valuable. It could be dollar bills, red sea shells, paper airplanes, etc. Anything can have value if two people agree it has value.

I'm not gambling that the world currency will crash. It might, but that's not why I'm pouring cash into all types of crypto. I'm gambling that blockchain tech, DApps and DeFi are going to become adopted by the masses and I want to get in on the ground floor. Hell, to be honest, BTC makes a terrible currency. If you want to use crypto as currency, you'll want to look at something else like EOS, XLM, ATOM, etc. You want something with near-instant transaction times. I don't want to stand at the register trying to buy my coffee for 10 minutes while the BTC transaction settles.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Right now I'm quite big on bitcoin and Cardano, but does anyone have any other crypto they feel is worth reading up on? I think this is an exciting time for Cardano, and am wondering if there are any other crypto/projects that are in similar stages with exciting times/projects ahead. I feel I should look at diversifying my buying a bit, but want to read up on projects before buying in. Plus I'm really green and the more I can learn, the better.

I've been a fan of LINK for years. I also recently started dumping money into GRT. If ETH can get their transaction times down, I think DeFi is going to kill it. LINK is an integral part of DeFi. I think GRT is going to be extremely useful as well.

I think I posted more about what function they serve somewhere around here.

You might also want to take a look at SNX, UNI, DOT and SUSHI. I've been eyeing ATOM and MATIC, but haven't pulled the trigger on either yet.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

Just starting mining BTC with NiceHash 2 days ago using my idle RTX 3080 GPU. I've made $34 CAD so far.
Just putting this out there so someone can tell me I'm doing something wrong, or should be mining something else.
Otherwise, I'm letting it go full steam ahead!

Looks like that card will do about $11.78/day when mining BTC and about $12.30/day when mining ETH. I'm not sure about BTC miners, but with ETH, you can typically dual mine coins without stepping on the ETH hash rate too much. Typically the secondary coin is not worth much, but it always has the potential to rise in value.

#100 3 years ago

Anyone pick up any GRT? It had a really nice pop overnight and is up 49%.

#101 3 years ago

I'm not sure if everyone has seen this, but I saw it a few years ago and thought it was hilarious.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=288600998335966

#102 3 years ago

What in the hell is going on this morning? I tried to send some BTC from Coinbase to Binance and it's been stuck at Unconfirmed for the last hour.

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/13FwjZ1NyCvZC6mp5o87fNmip6S63tGN8z

For all you new guys, this is why BTC sucks as a payment medium.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Bought some ATOM off somebody's recommendation and it is doing nicely right now. Thanks for the recommendation!
Anybody have any speculation of what is going to happen with Ripple? I have a fair amount of coins locked up in Coinbase right now due to the SEC investigation. However, it has been going up a little here recently? I know they are supposed to airdrop Spark at some point but don't have any details.

Nice to see you here @DBLM! We seem to have a lot in common. I keep running into you in the threads I frequent.

I'm leaning towards the SEC investigation either fizzling out or being dropped, but that's just my opinion. The legislators that started that entire thing are gone from my understanding and the people that have take their place are considered more crypto friendly. One of the first things they did was to increase and then again extend the comment period.

With that said, even though I own XRP, I hate it. There are 100 billion total coins. From what I've read, the founder received 9 billion of them for his role as founder. He left Ripple Labs back in 2013, but still continues to receive huge chunks of coins everytime they come out of escrow. In January, he received 477 million more coins. In December he received 157.9 million XRP.

The entire thing seems like a huge scam to me, but that's just my opinion. Do I think the coin is going to shoot up if the SEC investigation is dropped, absolutely. Do I believe in the project, no way.

What do you guys say over in the stock market thread........This isn't investing advice.

#106 3 years ago

I'm striking out this morning. Bought a little bit of BTC to send to Binance since I'm not yet verified for USD deposits yet. The transaction cleared after about 2 hours and now I find out that there isn't a BTC / MATIC pair. So I guess I'm going to have to sell my BTC and then buy MATIC. Ugh. What a pain the ass.

I'm going to be out of money once I'm done with all the fees!

There is an ADA/BTC pair though. Hummm.....I haven't done much research on ADA. I like the premise of MATIC, but it scares me a little that they are based in India and with the recent news surrounding a potential ban in India, I'm a little concerned. On the ADA side, I don't like the entire 45 billion coin number. That's a lot of coins!

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Bought some ATOM off somebody's recommendation and it is doing nicely right now. Thanks for the recommendation!

You're staking your ATOM, right? Free money!

#112 3 years ago

Not that anyone cares, but I ended up buying ALGO with the BTC I transferred today. I should have just bought it on Coinbase, but the entire MATIC being based in India and the 45 Billion ADA turned me off a little. ALGO was on my watch list for awhile and I'm getting 6% in staking rewards.

So I bought BTC on Coinbase, sent it to Binance, bought ALGO (which I could have just bought on Coinbase) and then sent the ALGO back to Coinbase. I would have staked it on Binance, but their export of transaction history is absolutely terrible. The Coinbase export is much easier to import into my tracking software which is why I sent it back.

On a side note, the ALGO transfer took about 30s and cost me a whooping 0.01 ALGO, or $0.0123. That's what the all crypto needs!

Like I said though, not that anyone cares.

#116 3 years ago

I'm quite enjoying this thread as I'm learning a lot, but I have a lot to learn still.
Question: When I got into researching ADA, I too noticed the large market cap, and was slightly concerned. But if Cardano is more akin to Ethereum than Bitcoin, and Ethereum doesn't have a market cap at all, wouldn't that make Cardano's market cap decent in comparison? I might be comparing apples to oranges on here, so please feel free to say if my logic is backwards on this one.

You're looking at it the right way, but there is a caveat. Currently the issuance rate is fixed and guaranteed not to increase. In fact it will most likely decrease in the future once the network moves from PoW to PoS. Costs for consensus with PoS is much lower than with PoW, so most people expect the issuance rate to drop significantly.

You make a good point and something I've considered in the past, however, it was overshadowed by the sheer volume of development being done on the EVM. It's insane how many applications run on it. I'm all about functionality, so the fact that almost everything runs on Etherium means more to me than total supply.

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Estimated little over a hundred years to dole out the last 13billion ADA. Ecosystem still has a lot of growth and compared to ETH the fees and transfers are way lower. Helping ADA add lots of new projects and partners. There’s a lot of opportunities coming up this year, price is certainly keeping up with expectations. Once or if coinbase adds it, expect a huge move up. From what I understand the ADA people say everything is submitted and they’re waiting on Coinbase. My guess is coinbase is figuring how to do the staking pools in house or they’re too focused on their own IPO launch.
Be interesting to see where ADA vs DOT vs ETH(2?) stand at the end of this year. Have some of each and in this market can’t complain too much about any of them. Thought they each have their own pros and cons. Great time to be involved in crypto.

Alright, you guys talked me into it. I'll grab some ADA next week when I have a little bit more play money. Then again, the price is liable to be 5x higher than it is now.

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I may be getting a little carried away now. I'm 54 and my crypto assets now represent 41% of my entire portfolio. I'm both, a little scared and excited. Now a lot of that 41% is from gains...so it's not like I've socked away over 40 percent of my savings into crypto. But still...it's grown enough now that if I lost it, it would hurt.
Okay...now that that's off my chest, time to go buy some more crypto.

Mine clocks in at 39.4% and I'm 43. The big thing is that if I look at what I actually invested to get that 39.4%, that percentage drops to 8%.

I am about the same age, and that's way more than I would be comfortable with.
If your crypto holdings drop 50% - would you be ok with that?

I'd be fine with a 50% drop. My 401K is up 31.92% in the last year. My crypto is up 667% in the same period. So even with a 50% drop from where it's an now, I'd still be way ahead.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I feel like a lot of crypto is going up right now, which makes it seem "easy" to buy into and make money from. But it will be curious to see how it performs in a down market, or if any price corrections happen etc.

I rode the roller coaster through the last bear market. That was a hell of a ride. A lot of people ran for the hills. It was hard for about 2 years watching it sink lower and lower. I watched mine drop by 80.4% between January 2018 and December 2018.

#132 3 years ago

Anyone trade with Gemini? I can get $20 in BTC for free for signing up and trading with $100.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Good to know, I haven't been in crypto until last year.

Ever throw a superball really hard in the house? That's pretty much what it looks like. If you have a weak stomach, you should probably find another investment vehicle.

If you're a gambler and play craps, you'll know exactly what I mean.

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I would still be ahead with a 50% drop...so yeah, I'd be okay. When I first got involved in 2017 I invested a total of 32k into crypto (mostly Bitcoin). I watched as that investment shot up in Dec. of 2017 to peak over 100k. Then I watched it drop all the way down to low of 11k! Never sold any of it. Today, I'm very glad I never sold.
I'll put it this way...the way things are going I'm planning on retiring a little early. If my crypto tanks...I just won't retire early.

Nice! You have a lot more BTC than I do based on my rough math.

I only have 0.71. I should have added along the way, but during that down turn I just wasn't able to risk it.

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Does anyone get a bonus for turning a friend onto Binance US? I finally stopped using my other Binance account and need to open the American version. Happy to get someone else a little coin if they have one of those kinds of deals.

I'll let Leeb18509 take over this one. But if anyone needs a referral link for tracking software, let me know. The tax man is going to come knocking sooner or later and this stuff is an absolute nightmare to try and track with a spreadsheet.

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

All coins are pumping at this point, so anyone who proclaims their coin or token rising is proclaiming the sky to be blue. YouTubers are coming out with videos on coin after coin and they double the minute the video is released every time. It's getting kinda insane... is everything going jump or crash, that is the question!

Everyday I wake up thinking, "I really should liquidate 1/2 my portfolio" and I never do. I'm just wondering how long the pedal can be on the floor before shit goes off the rails.

I really haven't taken anything off the table and I have a nice amount in there right now. Nothing like what some people have, but it's a good bit to me. Hell, I'm up 349.73% on GRT since January 21st when I bought my first tokens. Normal people would probably sell some, but the damn stuff just keeps going up. But I guess it keeps going up until....well.....until it doesn't.

These decisions suck.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Every day. When you've doubled your investment, you're supposed to lock in that value, right? Tough to get out, tough to get in because it just goes up. I feel super optimistic about the future of crypto, but dang.

I'm not saying that mine doubles everyday. But I'm saying that I wake up and think I should take some off the table. I wish it doubled everyday! I'd be retired by next week.

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I'll take a link to it if you have it. Taxation is theft, but hey what can you do. :/

I'm just going to copy / paste here what I sent to someone that asked about it via PM with a few additions.

I tried a few of them and settled on this one. You get 10% off on this link and they give me a few bucks in BTC for the referral. It seems to have the best tax tracking and export options. You can also suck everything in using either exports from Coinbase / Binanace / Kraken / etc, or you can connect to the API and have it automatically pull it in. It will also monitor wallets for you, so if you have something on a hardware device, it can watch the blockchain for deposits or withdraws and automatically add them to your portfolio.

They have a ton of ways to dump the tax reports including files you send to your account for their software, ones for automatic import into something like TurboTax or just the straight IRS form. There are also a lot of configurable options like FIFO, LIFO, HIFO, etc, etc.

The only thing I'm not 100% a fan of is their price feeds. It seems like they don't update the price of the currency as fast as something like Blockfolio does, but I really needed the tracking part.

It took me a few hours to load everything since I was starting from scratch, but it's been working great since then. Make sure you make use of the backup feature while you're doing your initial load in case you run into an issue. You can always restore the backup. I went with the Pro for a year.

https://cointracking.info?ref=S372870

Report (resized).JPGReport (resized).JPG

#157 3 years ago

https://cryptobriefing.com/apple-pay-taps-bitpay-adds-bitcoin-payments/

It's growing.....

914ea7c02c5150da3c8aeec9b35e0608_w200.gif914ea7c02c5150da3c8aeec9b35e0608_w200.gif

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Thanks Spyder, I’m not looking forward to doing it but hoping this makes it easier.

It took me about 1/2 day to get it setup correctly. I had to manually adjust some of the transactions. The nice thing is that if you've ever traded crypto pairs, it calculates the cost basis back to USD based on the date and time of the transaction which is nice.

I just imported things a little at a time and made sure that the number of coins at the end matched what I really had in my accounts. I basically audited my holdings at the same time. I'm not sure how you're tracking things, but I was just throwing it into Blockfolio so I could watch it.

#167 3 years ago

I thought you could just buy it with PayPal? I don’t think you can send it yet, but you can buy and sell. I don’t know anything about their fees though.

I’m sure they will add send soon enough.

I also saw that one of the tracking apps I use started allowing purchases in app. It’s called Blockfolio.

Do your due diligence on that one. I’ve never used their app for buying or selling.

EDIT-> Looks like PayPal charges based on a spread of about 0.50%.

Blockfolio was purchased by FTX and appears to let you buy and sell for free. Well no shit I might have to look into that one.

https://www.coindesk.com/porfolio-app-blockfolio-crypto-stock-trading

#173 3 years ago

I did some reading on ADA and decided to buy a little today. I only grabbed ~900 ADA, but that's all my bank account would allow.

BTC transaction times are way down today from earlier this week. My transfer from Coinbase to Binance only took about 10 minutes.

#176 3 years ago

If anyone else is using Blockfolio you might want to change your price feeds if you’re pulling from Coinbase or Coinbase Pro. I just found out it’s pulling bad data for some of the coins.

I was wondering why there was a big discrepancy between my two tracking apps.

#178 3 years ago

Whoa. What in the hell just happened! A 9% drop in just under 60 seconds to my entire portfolio.

How exactly does that happen?

A lot of my Alts are down around 25%. That really stings!

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Good opportunity to buy on dips.

My problem was that I was a few hours early with my Cardano purchase.

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

That would become a pain to keep track off.

That tracking software I put a referral link to earlier in the thread would make it easy. You can just do a dump from your account. Or even setup an API call to do it automatically.

I do agree 100% about capital gains sucking up a lot of the proceeds which is really why I don’t do it. I watch some of these coins so much that I almost know exactly when they are going to move and in which direction. I could play $1-$2 swings all day long in some of the alts.

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Celsius wallet pays 13.99% staking for SNX! Highly recommended!

Do tell.

Any links? Have you done it?

It doesn't look like it's the most straight forward thing to do....

https://blog.synthetix.io/what-you-need-to-know-before-staking-snx-for-the-first-time/

#216 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

You can get Celsius from the App Store or Android too. Download set up you account & off you go!
Here’s a great informative link on Celsius

Have you done it? I could be making a few hundred a month, but it looks like one of those "too good to be true" things. Someone's going to give me 13% for staking my crypto? I'm not a huge fan of it sitting in their wallet either.....

#220 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Yes, I started a account a little over a week ago. I put a portion of my holding in: BTC,SNX,ETH,LINK all pay different rates. This is a screen shot after one week. Interest is paid weekly!
[quoted image]

Looks like if I take CEL as a payout for my SNX staking, they give you 18.55%. If you take SNX, you get 13.99%.

I'm sure you can imagine someone being skeptical. That's just insanity.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

It is!! What’s even more insane, is that we’ve been conditioned to feel “safe” with the fractional banking system & in a fiat currency that is currently debasing at 15% a year! Celsius appears to be very secure, & haven’t seen any bad press on it. I’ve only been using their wallet for a little over a week, but I’m impressed! Research it & make your own best decision.

Did you have any issues transferring your ERC-20 tokens with having to manually edit the gas fees? My SNX is sitting on Coinbase right now. It appears as though you're looking at $50+ in gas fees due to the complexity of their contract.

#224 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I haven’t been on Pinside in awhile, I found this thread, & read through it. I’ve made the comments I wanted to make, I’ll now stop hijacking this thread!

EDIT-> Can you send me a referral code? I'm not 100% onboard yet, but I'm getting close.

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I haven’t been on Pinside in awhile, I found this thread, & read through it. I’ve made the comments I wanted to make, I’ll now stop hijacking this thread!

No definitely don't do that! That's the reason this thread exists. I would have never known that I could be getting paid for doing what I'm already doing, which is just sitting here watching the price of my crypto. Who knew!

#232 3 years ago

Thanks. I sent 50 SNX just as a test. I'm a little confused by the fees though. Coinbase said it was 0.25 SNX (~$5.95 ), but if I look at the etherscan.io transaction, it says 0.01194 ETH ($21.67), so I'm not really sure.

Actually debited from my Coinbase account was 50.2528 SNX, so I'm not sure where the $21.67 comes from, but I'll deal with $6 to make 13%.

Do I need to do anything now that it's in my Celsius account? I don't see a stake or lend button anywhere.

#234 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

That $6 sounds about right. Nope it’s in your “wallet” on Celsius & you’ll receive that interest rate weekly for just holding in their wallet. Which for Synthetics is: 13.99%! It’ll be paid in SNX unless you choose otherwise. So, 13.99% on a network(SNX) that is more than likely going to 5-10x this year. Nice!

Looks like you can't choose to be paid in CEL if you're in the US, so I'll be stuck with only getting the 13.99%.

I'm considering dumping my LINK in there too. It's only 4.51%, but it's my biggest holding so anything is better than nothing.

My only issue with this is that I don't hold the keys. That's scary to me and something I've always been against. There does seem to be a pile of transparency with Celsius along with independent audits, SEC filings, articles of incorporation, etc. That's the main reason I'm game. Well, 13.99% isn't too shabby either.

#243 3 years ago

Anybody own Compound (COMP)
Bought some around $161 it's now around 454
thinking about buying some more

I have a whopping 2.2 COMP that I bought on a whim last year sometime.

#248 3 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

What is up with DOGE will it ever hit .10 or will it just fade away. Asking for a friend.

I'm sticking to my guns on this one and staying away from it. It really has no utility at all and has no limit to its supply. I am not a fan of coins that don't provide utility (BTC excluded). I want something that has a finite supply and an actual use. Then hopefully one day, one of the projects will reach mass adoption because it solves some problem and I'll hit a home run.

#250 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Word of caution with Celsius. They are a crypto lender, and they loan crypto to various banks, organizations, businesses, and exchanges. They take crypto as collateral for those loans, but they also then loan out that collateral. (this is effectively the same type of lending that caused 2008 crash) If there is a crypto market crash, in this kind of lending, there is risk you could lose everything you have or that you would not be able to sell or move your crypto. I would do more research before you put a lot of crypto into Celsius. Food for thought.
"If it sounds too good to be true..."
edit: Directly from the Terms of Use
“In consideration for the rewards earned on your Account and the use of our Services, you grant Celsius the right … to pledge, re-pledge, hypothecate, rehypothecate, sell, lend or otherwise transfer or use any amount of such Digital Assets … for any period of time.”

Damnit f3honda4me ! I moved over about 13% of my holdings and now you're scaring me!

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Your Celsius are insured? Everything I’ve read says the opposite. Do you have a link?

It says that it is in some circumstances, but not when being lent out, which I'm sure is exactly what happens to it once deposited. So I'd put money on a big fat "no".

I feel much better that they do collateralized loans at no more than 50%. According to some interviews, less than 1% of their loans are uncollateralized.

They have been around since 2017 and from my reading made it through the huge 2018 pullback with very few calls on loans. From what I saw, they weathered it much better than a lot of other places.

Still definitely a risk, so I think I'll just let what I put in there be and not add to it. Not that I can afford to lose 12% of my holdings, but that I don't see a ton of risk at this point.

#255 3 years ago

Just found this tweet online from the guy that runs Celsius. So I guess the correct answer is "not yet, but soon"

Makes me want to find a way to buy CEL.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

#262 3 years ago

So, one of my clients finally paid me what I was owed after waiting forever and I have some extra play money. I was thinking maybe some more ADA. Or maybe just some more BTC? BTC just seems so expensive right now.....

According to some recent analysis of Github commits appear to be slowing around the old "ETH killers" like TRON, EOS, Qtum, etc. The focus seems to be more on DeFi (obviously) and the good old NFTs.

Looks like ADA, AAVE, Balancer, MAKER and SNX are listed as the platforms with the most Github commits.

According to what I'm seeing the article says "Ethereum still remains the king overall though, with 14% more developer activity than its closest rival, Cardano, and almost double that of Bitcoin in terms of commits. "

What's on everyone's "If I only had more money, I'd buy X" list?

#264 3 years ago

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about the coin other than their main page and whitepaper. I did enjoy that their COO is a woman named George.

https://nano.org/foundation#team

Looks like it's just a currency designed to be less resource intensive than something like BTC with faster transaction times. It would have to actually catch and become adopted to go anywhere I would think?

#265 3 years ago

So lets talk tax events and buying one currency to send to another exchange to buy a separate currency. Any accountants around here?

Lets say I own some BTC that I bought years ago at $3k/BTC. Today, I buy 0.05BTC with the intention of sending it to another exchange, selling it for USD (since there isn't a BTC trading pair for what I want to buy), and then buying another currency.

Standard reporting is FIFO, meaning that when I sell the BTC, I'm going to get taxed on the profit from the difference between the purchase at $3K and the sale at $52k. But in all actuality, I just wanted to make a purchase.

Anyone have a way to report that without triggering a tax event? I can't just change everything to LIFO because then I'm paying short term capital gains on everything.

#268 3 years ago

Someone should tell him you don’t have to buy an entire Bitcoin.

#276 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I wish I’d been able to buy binance coin at $50 like I wanted but still awaiting USD transfer verification on binance US...

I remember looking at it when it was $29 and thinking "it's centralized, it's not going anywhere". Boy, was I wrong.

I looked at BTC when it was around 10 and said no way. My sister in law bought 10 coins for a hundo back then and she is still holding onto them.

Not a bad half million dollar payday for her.

#278 3 years ago

Not that anyone cares, but I picked up ~2,400 ADA yesterday at $0.9193. The main reason was that the development for that blockchain in the way of DApps is 86% of what is put into Etherium. I think that's huge especially with the slower transaction times and crazy gas fees we're seeing with Etherium right now. DeFi is getting hammered with these high fees especially with the complexity of some of the contracts. It's not a wallet to wallet transfer so the fees are much higher.

It has the potential to take off as things move forward. The only thing I don't like is the crazy number of coins, but on the flip side, no one really talks about the fact that ETH is unlimited. Then again, right now, there are only 115 million ETH and 32 Billion ADA. That kind of puts a damper on how high the price can get for ADA even with mass adoption.

If it were to reach the same market cap as ETH (which I highly doubt), you're still only talking about a max price of $6.53. It's a 6x increase in price, but we all know that's nothing when it comes to crypto.

#284 3 years ago

Anyone know how in the hell I can buy CEL? After finding out that you can earn interest on your crypto and that they will be self insuring in the next few months makes that very attractive. Seriously, with self insurance, there just isn't any risk that I can see. Add that to the fact that there isn't a "This crypto is easy to buy" premium and I think we might be on to something.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to buy any!

#286 3 years ago

So I answered my own question about buying CEL. The answer is that you can't without paying crazy high fees. Apparently the only options are places like Uniswap. I found out that Uniswap is actually built right into the Coinbase Wallet App (not the regular app where you can buy and sell stuff).

I had a little ETH in my wallet app for some reason and thought I would just test it out for something to do. I had $25 in ETH, so I tried to buy a few CEL. Turns out that the miner fees to convert 0.013 ETH to 4.39 CEL is $162.30.

Let's just say that I don't own any CEL.

IMG_5360.PNGIMG_5360.PNG

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think ADA is a good call/diversification. That being said you are only estimating a 6x growth. Makes BTC look good from that standpoint. I hate how so many people think BTC is too expensive. Not saying thats you...but a lot of people. I sort of get it...it's a psychological barrier. But if you just look at the potential. I'm seriously considering if ETH takes off I will sell it and put the proceeds into BTC.

Every time I think it's to expensive, it goes up.

The way I'm looking at it now is like this. Let's say I have $2500 to put towards something and I buy BTC. At this price, I'll get 0.04587BTC. If BTC goes to $100,000, I'll have $4,588 or a gain of $2,088.

On the other hand, $2,500 would get me 2,681 ADA. If ADA goes up to $2, my return is $2,863, or a 37% increase over the BTC purchase.

To me, it just looks like multiples on my return are more likely with the Alts.

#307 3 years ago

Ouch. I took a hell of a beating this weekend.

#313 3 years ago

I dropped my car off for inspection and while I was waiting for the loaner, I thought, might be a good time to buy. So I grabbed $1,500 in BTC not sure if I was going to transfer it and buy an Alt or sit on it.

Drove home and BTC had dropped another $3,700.

#315 3 years ago

would love to see a 20%+ drop so I can buy some more

I think you found it. My portfolio is down 20% in the last 24h. I could have bought a car with what I lost.

#318 3 years ago

Hummmm.......ADA or DOT. I'm on the fence on what position I want to add to while it's down.

#324 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

ETH dipped more than both of those.

I'm not 100% sold on ETH. Development has dropped in terms of Github puts, gas fees are through the roof and the network is just overloaded. I've been seeing a lot of developers jumping ship. I'm not saying it's going to go away, but it's going to be a lot more competitive really fast.

I ended up grabbing some of both (ADA and DOT).

#338 3 years ago

Did you lose it or did the value just go down a bit.

I know I didn’t lose it, but it still stings. I’ve been HODLing since sometime in 2017 before the first run up. You’d think I’d be used to these crazy swings by now.

It still hurts when you wake up and think “Shit, I could have paid off my car with what vaporized overnight”.

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

I just upgraded my ASIC’s. Have 9 going. 5 Antminer S19, whatsminer 32 and 3 Antsminer S19 pros. Think BTC will be stable over time. Only $1 trillion market. It is big but companies are bigger.

Anything for sale sitting in the corner that you’d want to sell?

I can’t get my hands on anything!

#345 3 years ago

I’m not sure if anyone follows him, but this guy does a pretty good job of analyzing the charts on top currencies.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/price-analysis-2-22-btc-eth-bnb-dot-ada-xrp-ltc-link-bch-xlm

#349 3 years ago

So with Celsius, does anyone know if the interest payout is based on the dollar value or the number of coins.

I’m assuming it’s on the number of coins or they would be calculating interest all the time as prices change.

I didn’t see anything specific on their website.

EDIT -> Nevermind. I found it. Looks like it’s based on price every Friday at a particular time.

Reward calculation price snapshot: Friday 05:00:00 UTC

#355 3 years ago

Ouch. 1/3 of my portfolio has been wiped out in the last 36 hours with no end in sight.

#370 3 years ago

When you buy and sell BTC or others do you have to pay short and long term gains at tax time? Buying and selling so much could change your tax burden on those holdings.

Unfortunately you do. If you do any amount of trading I’d recommend tracking software. If you’re just doing a few trades a year you can use some of them for free. More than something like 50 transactions and the start charging.

I posted a link in here somewhere of what I use. I haven’t had any issues with it.

#394 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Can any of you recommend a book or website that discusses crypto basics in layman's terms? Sort of a beginners guide to understanding how it all works?
I ask because I struggle with the mechanics of crypto (blockchain, staking, smart contracts, etc.), especially when I try to explain it to someone else (disbelieving wife). I feel like I understand the general concept. The philosophy. But the technical aspects and terminology are beyond me when I try to read about various coins. I don't know any coding. I'm not an engineer. I just don't have any background for this stuff.
Seems like this is the biggest hurdle for crypto needs to clear to make that last jump into the mainstream. The average joe needs to know why he should use it, how it works, and why it will continue to have value - and right now, that's not an easy answer.

Unfortunately, I can't point you in any particular direction. I've been reading about it for the last few years. If you have any specific questions, I'll be more than happy to help.

The "nuts and bolts" of the blockchain is that it acts as an immutable distributed ledger of account balances. Think of those big books you see in the old movies the banker has behind the counter. Says Smith - $86.75, Jones - $34.87, etc. That's the blockchain. The big difference is that the names are wallet address and the balances are coin quantities (ETH, BTC, LINK, Etc).

You lay claim to the wallet with your public / private cryptographic key pair which is basically your username / password combinations when you log into your bank account.

Transactions are validated, most typically, by PoW or Proof of Work. Meaning there are piles and piles of computers all over the world working to validate transactions on the blockchain. That's what makes it decentralized (not controlled by one entity like the company that owns the bank) and immutable (one computer can't just make a change to the blockchain). The computers do work and race to find a solution to the cryptographic algorithm. The first one to find the answer wins the block reward. Once the answer is found, all the other computers verify the solution and the transaction is written into the blockchain and can never be edited again.

Staking comes in with another transaction validation method called PoS, or Proof of Stake. In this case, the transactions are validated by a randomly chosen participant, called a Validator, that has coins staked or essentially pledged to the blockchain. The more coins you have staked the higher your chances of being chosen to validate the next transaction and get the block reward for validation of that transaction. Attempt to double-sign or attack the network and the penalty is losing what you have staked.

When staking with Coinbase, you're contributing to a big pool of other people staking with Coinbase. The larger the pool, the higher the chances of getting chosen to validate the transaction and the higher the payouts. For contributing to the pool, Coinbase, or whoever else you stake with, gives you a percentage of the payouts.

As far as continuing to have value, it's all belief. Just like fiat. If people feel it has value, then it does. That's why I try to find utility tokens, things that provide a service or fill some role in the world of cryptocurrency. I want something people will use. I feel those are the ones that will make it in the long run, whereas the off the cuff ones will die out serving no purpose and providing no value to the infrastructure.

Hopefully that helps a little.

#395 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Would you recommend having a ledger or similar device? Can't those break down as well?

I would recommend a hardware wallet such as a Ledger or Trezor. I personally use a Trezor. You can absolutely break them, lose them, etc. When you set up the device, a 24 word mnemonic recovery seed based on the BIP39 word list is generated that you write down on a piece of paper and guard with your life. Those 24 words can be used to recreate your wallet.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/english.txt

I actually store my recovery seed on a steel plate which is then stored in a safe. Break your Trezor and you can recreate your wallet with the 24 word recovery seed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZW8CWY/

#396 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Also do you guys daytrade or sit and wait?

It's actually HODL.

Hold On for Dear Life

I was day trading 0.10BTC back in 2017/2018 on an almost daily basis when it was range bound between $11k and $14k for weeks. I really just accumulate these days.

#397 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I started dabbling in crypto over the last week and am quite frustrated with the hidden fee's that are tied to either withdrawals or exchanges.
For example, today I transferred $64 worth of BTC from NiceHash over to Exodus so I could convert that to ADA and stake it. I already had 327 ADA in that wallet, so I wanted to add to it. Once the BTC reached Exodus, my current BTC holding was below the threshold to be enable a BTC > ADA exchange. Okay fine, I converted my 327 ADA > BTC, now having beyond the BTC threshold to convert everything back to ADA.
Well, the final exchange left me with only 345 ADA from my original 327 ADA, or roughly $25 worth of ADA from an original $64. WTF!
Did I just fuck up by exchanging the BTC while it had dipped further than ADA, making an unfavorable exchange, or did I just get fleeced with exchange fees?
If someone could help me work out a more cost effective method of exchanging and transferring, it would sure help a lot.

Fees definitely suck sometimes. I'm not familiar with either NiceHash or Exodus, but coin transfers always involve some sort of fee. That's paid to the people validating the transactions as a mining fee. Without those fees, I'd turn off my miner.

Anyway, sometimes those fees are fractions of a penny and other times they are crazy high like they are with ETH right now. I was looking at a Uniswap between two tokens on a relatively complex smart contract. The fees were insane and made the trade not worth completing. I posted it around here somewhere. I always check fees for the entire transaction before starting.

Other times exchanges will have additional fees on the back end for moving the crypto within their own organization. Keep an eye out for those fees. I've found they are normally in the order of a few percent.

As you indicated, you need to watch when trading crypto / crypto pairs. Things can go sideways in a hurry if you're not paying attention. Especially like you said, if one currency is going one way and the other is going the other way. I'd suspect your issue was a combination of both. My 60 Coinbase purchases / trades have cost me $853.95 in fees.

That doesn't even include that damn premium they put on currency when you're in a hurry and just buy with your debit card. You'll look at the market and BTC is $50,000 and when you hit the buy button on Coinbase, the price is $50,500 when it's still sitting on Coinbase Pro at $50,000. They always do that shit and charge you a fee on top of the premium.

#408 3 years ago

I thought with MicroStrategy buying $1 billion more worth of bitcoin, and with Square buying another $170 million in bitcoin, that bitcoin would've had a bit better of a day today. But I'm also green to this so maybe crypto doesn't immediately react the same way that stocks do to news.

They don’t buy through retail channels so you don’t see the price swings with huge orders.

#410 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

How do they buy? Direct transfer from someone who has the bitcoin they want to buy?

They call it an OTC Trade (Over The Counter). Genesis Trading is a name I’ve seen before. You can also go directly to some of the larger exchanges depending on the size of the order.

If I remember correctly it was discovered that the recent Tesla purchase was facilitated by Coinbase.

Going OTC with a large purchase ensures liquidity and a stable price for the transaction.

#414 3 years ago

Got the last random purchase of Ada done today. I’m now switching over to regular biweekly buys. I’m excited to see what March 1st brings, should be an exciting month.

I'm running out of spending money! It figures too, right when there is a pull back, I've spent all my play money. Somehow the market knows! /puts on aluminum foil hat

Grabbed another 516 ALGO @ $1.15 Tuesday night while I was drinking.

I like it because it's a native blockchain, PoS, can handle 1 million transactions a day and has extremely low transaction fees. It has a max supply of 10 million tokens set to be released over the next 9 years.

I don't know if it's going to take off, but I'm confident that there will be another native blockchain that reaches mass adoption. Unless ETH can find a way to increase their transaction times and lower the fees. I know there is a lot of work going on to consolidate transactions off chain before bringing them on chain, but I'm not sure how that's going to pan out.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02.

#430 3 years ago

[quoted image]
This news might be helping prop Ada up today.
Also, I’m very excited about Ada/cardano, but if I’m posting about it to the point it’s annoying, feel free to say haha. I’ll try to calm my posting down.

You're allowed to be excited.

I think we are all excited about the emergence and adoption of a new asset class.

#445 3 years ago

I was mining ETH for about 2 years with 3 RX470 cards I bought back in 2017. I did product reviews for NewEgg so I already had a motherboard, memory and a CPU laying around. Grabbed an old spindle disk I had sitting on my desk, screwed everything into a piece of MDF (seriously) and away I went.

I mined 4.86 ETH with that rig until the DAG exceeded 4GB and then the cards were worthless for mining ETH. I re-allocated them to RVN. The hash rate is pretty low, but I'm getting about 100 RVN every 3 days or so.

I was dual mining ETH and SAI towards the end and mined about 3,000 of them, but they aren't worth anything.

For hardware I had laying around, I'm not complaining.

#446 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

How many of you are mining?
I have just begun looking into it, and I know that video cards are commanding a premium these days, but it looks like I can still get a legit AlienWare rig with a top of the line card for about $2700.
I know I have a lot more reading to do, but that's not really that serious of an entry fee for something that I could set up an potentially make some money off of.
Anyone have any good links they can share for getting started? I'm definitely computer savy enough to make it happen. Seems like it's worth looking into.

What cards?

As for getting started, it's really a piece of cake. The hardest part is getting the cards dialed in, should you choose to do that with them.

1. Choose a coin
2. Choose a miner
3. Choose a pool
4. Create a wallet
5. Paste the wallet address into the miner .bat file
6. Profit.

#448 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The hardest part right now is trying to get any newer GTX cards.

NVIDIA came out the other day and said that starting with the release of the 3060 they are going to configure the card to recognize when it's mining and Nerf the hash rate. They are supposed to be releasing a CMP card just for mining that has no display outputs and denser chips.

I guess all the gamers were whining that they can't get cards.

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Can you elaborate on how the setup works?
With obligated covid remote work I have like 20 desktops with RTX2070 in the office doing nothing. What is needed to start mining?
https://www.betterhash.net/faq/ ?

I'm assuming you own the business? If not, a lot of people are getting fired and or arrested for stealing power. I just wanted to to throw that out there in case.

On a side note, 20 x 2070's will pull in about $2,200/month.

Anyway, here is how you set it up.

1. Create a wallet. I'd just use the MEW (MyEtherWallet) for your iPhone/Android to create the wallet. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE you write down the recovery phrase and store it in a safe place. Do NOT show it to anyone and DO NOT store it electronically. It will generate a wallet address and look something like this:

7a285f9b972648789d3b7b851e8efc253f41ffe9

Copy that wallet address somewhere safe

2. Download your mining software. A lot of people use PhoenixMiner, but you can use whatever you want to use.
a. Mining software is always picked up as a virus due to its interaction with the HAL. Anyway, you're going to have to create an exclusion in your AV software for the folder. I just create a folder on the C:\ drive named Mining and exclude that folder. Then you can drop whatever you want in there and it won't flag it.

Phoenix Miner

https://mega.nz/folder/2VskDJrI#lsQsz1CdDe8x5cH3L8QaBw

3. Extract the Windows PhoenixMiner_5.5c_Windows.zip file into the C:\Mining folder you created above.

4. Right click -> Edit the start_miner.bat file

5. Replace the wallet address in the .bat file with yours. You'll want to edit the .bat file for each computer and change what comes after the . in the wallet address. So use .miner1, .miner2, .miner3, etc.

PhoenixMiner.exe -pool ssl://us1.ethermine.org:5555 -pool2 ssl://eu1.ethermine.org:5555 -wal 7a285f9b972648789d3b7b851e8efc253f41ffe9.Rig001

6. Save the file and then right click the start_miner.bat file you just edited -> Run as Administrator and away you go.

7. After about an hour or so, go to the ethermine website and search for your wallet address in the "Miner Address" search box to find your miners.

https://www.ethermine.org

If you want to get cute about it, you can create a task in the Windows Task Scheduler to fire off the .bat file at a particular time. So if everyone leaves at 5pm and you want it to start at that time, you can. If you want to do that, let me know and I can help out.

Feel free to mine for me if you're bored. I left mine wallet address in there just in case you wanted to donate.

#472 3 years ago

Anyone have their eye on anything today? I have a little spare cash laying around.

I was thinking maybe DOT, UNI or SNX. I have all three currently, with the largest stake in SNX. I have a little UNI and a little DOT already.

#474 3 years ago

I was hoping to add to my Ada bag this weekend, but the price keeps rising on me. I might still add a little bit.
I wouldn’t mind picking up some hbar, but it’s not on the exchange I use and I don’t want to sign up for another exchange just for it.
What’s everyone’s thoughts on ripple/ xrp? Worth owning a bit?

I have about 600 XRP. I'm not a fan of it at all. A lot of it is locked up for the creators and even more gets distributed to the guy that created it. I posted the details in this thread somewhere. I think if the lawsuit gets dropped it will spike, but in the long run, I'm not a fan.

Found it. I'm just going to quote myself.

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm leaning towards the SEC investigation either fizzling out or being dropped, but that's just my opinion. The legislators that started that entire thing are gone from my understanding and the people that have take their place are considered more crypto friendly. One of the first things they did was to increase and then again extend the comment period.

With that said, even though I own XRP, I hate it. There are 100 billion total coins. From what I've read, the founder received 9 billion of them for his role as founder. He left Ripple Labs back in 2013, but still continues to receive huge chunks of coins everytime they come out of escrow. In January, he received 477 million more coins. In December he received 157.9 million XRP.

The entire thing seems like a huge scam to me, but that's just my opinion. Do I think the coin is going to shoot up if the SEC investigation is dropped, absolutely. Do I believe in the project, no way.

What do you guys say over in the stock market thread........This isn't investing advice.

#475 3 years ago

I grabbed 2.323 AAVE @ $339.40 per AAVE a few minutes ago. It's been on my watch list for awhile and had a pretty decent pullback over the last week or so.

#478 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I know ETH 2.0 is coming but I don't understand how this works, if you have ETH, will it all become ETH 2.0? Coinbase had something about staking your ETH, with no min, for like 7.5%. Trying to decide if I should do that since I'm holding some.

The way I understand it is that ETH 2.0 is just a protocol update and your ETH will just stay ETH. It's not a fork, just an upgrade. Coinbase is doing something different though that I'm not 100% spun up on. Typical ETH 2.0 staking involves your coins getting locked up until the 2.0 protocol is released. Meaning it could be tomorrow or it could be never, at which point your ETH is gone.

Coinbase is saying you can stake and unstake at will, which is different than what I've seen associated with the normal staking for 2.0.

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm trying out BlockFi for interest on some of my Bitcoin. It's a bit of a risk but I've dug into to company and the CEO. While they are obviously not backed by the Federal Goverment, they are backed by Gemini...which is something.
I sent over enough to generate about $400 a month (at current BTC value) in interest. We shall see how it goes. I'm wondering if they will maintain their interest rates if BTC goes to 100k+?

Looks like they pay 3% at that level. Celsius pays 6.2%.

Never mind. I was looking at the wrong thing. It looks like they pay 6% up to 2.5BTC. They have a ~$100 withdraw fee though for more than one transaction a month.

#483 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So, if you had 2.5 BTC on there and it goes to 100k, you would get $1250 a month in interest.
If I'm going to pull my BTC off of there I would do it all at once...which would be free. By the way...they pay the interest in BTC! I consider that a bonus. Plus your interest then compounds every month...so really in my example above that $1250 a month would increase every month even if the value of BTC stayed flat.

I like that payout better than Celsius, which pays out based on the USD value of the wallet at the time of their snapshot. I'd rather get 13.99% of the SNX held in my wallet than 13.99% of the value at the time of the snapshot converted to to SNX. It's a little weird.

#484 3 years ago

Are we in a bear market? Did I miss something? Last I heard we were in the middle of a bull run. I’m starting to get annoyed. I’m getting hammered over here.

My problem is I already spent my play money. Ugh.

Just for you new guys.....Welcome to the world of cryptocurrency.

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

I think it will now touch 40k before bouncing back, definitely more sales coming.

I saw this in an article today that I thought was interesting.

“ Fortunately, the third retest of this key support level may have a silver lining for the bulls. Data analytics resource Glassnode noted that the daily Bitcoin Spent Output Profit Ratio (SOPR) has seen a "full reset."

The SOPR essentially shows whether spent outputs are in profit or loss at the time of transaction. This key metric turned negative for the first time since September 2020. In other words, investors are now moving BTC at a slight loss on average, suggesting that profit-taking has abated, according to Glassnode.”

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-sell-off-over-strong-buy-the-dip-signal-flashes-for-the-first-time-since-september

#493 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I am still enjoying my RVN that was worthless then shot up and is now holding way higher than my electricity cost. This is fun! Yeeee hawwwwww

I noticed that the difficulty went through the roof really quick. I have older cards and was getting 100RVN about every 2 days. It now takes 7 days to mine 100RVN. I might need to see what else I can mine. It's still profitable though, but not by a lot.

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Yeah I switched to mining ETH but that is slowly getting worse too and I see RVN is going up in value today so that only spells more difficulty for that coin. Which I am perfectly fine with

Unfortunately, the DAG is too big for my 4GB cards.

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

i have a 3090 I use in my gaming PC. Is it actually worth using it to mine anything right now? Im in a single family home and electric isnt super cheap....

The site I use for calculating hash rates doesn't have the 3090, but it shows the 3080 as having an Ethash rate of ~91Mh/s. Assuming an electric cost of $0.15/kWh, you'll be pulling in gross revenue of $7.88/day. Subtract estimated power usage of $0.83/day and it shows a net profit of $7.05/day or $211.48/month.

Edit -> NiceHash shows $8.51/day with the 3090.

#507 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Thats not worth it for me to maybe effect my card over time. just buying crypto. thanks

I ran 3 x RX470s bolted to a piece of MDF for over 3 years. They were all overclocked, jammed together on the same motherboard. They are still running without any issues.

I moved them into two different cases and they are mining RVN now.

So pretty much 4 years, running 24/7 as fast as I could get them to go with absolutely no issues.

Just for fun I found some pictures of the old miner. Little bugger made me about $6,000 over its life.

IMG_4838 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_4838 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_4839 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_4839 - Copy (resized).JPG
#512 3 years ago

Dammit. I was some freakin' CEL, but can't find a way to buy it.

I was also eying GHST with all the NFT stuff flying around. I had my eye on MATIC (Polygon) a few weeks ago at ~$0.04, didn't pull the trigger and it's up 500% to $0.229.

Once again, I'm kicking myself.

#515 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

The sheer amount of vitriol amongst the traditional stock traders for crypto is astonishing to me.

Were you over in the stock thread again?

Tulips I tell you!!!

#519 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

How long does it typically take Binance to clear a BTC deposit? I finally closed my original Binance account and opened a Binance US account last week. I moved $500 of BTC over from Coinbase and I can see it's been received at Binance, but it's still not showing up as tradeable coin many days later. I was hoping to buy some ADA.
And related, if I'd done the transaction with ETC or another coin, would it have happened faster? I've owned crypto for a long time, but I don't move it around very often.

BTC transfers were taking anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes from Coinbase to Binance.US last week. My buddy moved some ETH over the weekend. I think he said they went through in about 5 - 10 minutes.

You want to look at the trading pairs if you're going to be trading. Meaning, don't send BTC to Binance if you want to buy something that only has an ETH trading pair.

Do you have the TX number? We can check it on the blockchain and see if it's been confirmed.

#523 3 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

13 days till Spring tournament on binance

No clue what that is?

#530 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I figured it out with more snooping and feel like an idiot, my Binance balance screen was defaulting to hide balance, clicked the eye graphic and it showed. Thanks!

It's always a damn checkbox!!

Glad you got it resolved.

#535 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

How do you guys feel about Polkadot? I don’t know much about it, but it seems interesting. I plan to hold long term.

I think it's a good project and purchased some. Not much though. I think I have around 60 of them.

#536 3 years ago

One of my favorites coins LINK is expanding.

"As announced by Chainlink on Thursday, its price feeds are live on the xDai mainnet, offering price data for an initial set of trading pairs including LINK/USD, AAVE/USD, DOT/USD and SUSHI/USD. More pairs can be quickly added if there is demand, the company said."

I like seeing those DeFi platforms in the list of available price feeds. However, in the second article, the guy running AAVE is not saying nice things about DeFi which has really been leading the charge in the increasing price of alt coins. Interesting to see what happens moving forward because it's been rough for the last 3 weeks or so already.

Is this the beginning of the end for high interest rate returns we are seeing by staking and lending.....I hope not.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/a-dark-horse-in-the-ethereum-scaling-wars-chainlink-s-oracles-find-fertile-ground-on-xdai

https://cryptobriefing.com/aave-ceo-says-yield-farming-craze-is-coming-end/

#539 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Love the 12% staking.

Who is that through? I'll have to see what I'm getting through Kraken.....At least that's where I think my DOT is these days.

#542 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Kraken[quoted image]

I looked and that's where I'm staking too. Thanks!

#543 3 years ago

Anyone around here ever use Uniswap? It looks like the fees have dropped significantly so I was thinking it might be time to try and get some Celsius. I've never used it before. I'm thinking after the swap, I could just send it to my Celsius wallet where I'm staking SNX.

Looks like I can connect to an ETH wallet and just click the swap button. But where does it go once it's swapped?

#544 3 years ago

Good stuff in the Kraken monthly recap for anyone that didn't get it.

https://kraken.docsend.com/view/ntas7cfpyy92xee9

#545 3 years ago

It’s like crickets in here when things are down.

I grabbed 2.2 AAVE today. I didn’t have the energy or the nerve to mess with Uniswap.

#559 3 years ago

I tried to edit my original post and remove the link. I guess I need to get a moderator involved. Can you remove the Phoenix Miner section that you quoted in my post and I'll PM a mod?

Anyone know who I should PM?

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

As a general side note, and as a computer security professional, be super careful downloading random files from places like mega without knowing the exact source. Especially things that tell you to make an exclusion in your anti-virus to be able to run it. Please.

Good safety tip. I should have probably put a disclaimer in there about not using a computer for mining that you're using for sensitive data. It was a trusted link distributed by the developer with a verified hash, but you are definitely correct.

I checked the hash before I downloaded it and it was legit.

From what I'm reading, it's an ongoing situation and current speculation is that NiceHash bundled an infected copy in with their software. Whoops. It doesn't help though that the developer went dark about a month ago. I guess NiceHash was packaging PhoenixMiner as v15.9 in their installation package. The link I posted was directly from the developer. The scary part is that this could be a developer in the process of executing an exit strategy.....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

For anyone that still has the .ZIP file, you can run this command inside of powershell in the directory were the file is located to verify the hash of what you downloaded.

certutil -hashfile PhoenixMiner_5.5c_Windows.zip

#565 3 years ago

Just sent my tax stuff to my accountant. What a pain in the ass. Dealing with Coinbase Earn Rewards, Staking Rewards, Airdrops and mining revenue. I had 293 transactions just for the income report that amounted to a few hundred dollars worth of income. There were only about 3 disposition transactions so that was easy.

I'm glad I'm using that tracking software, because trying to do that manually would have been absolutely impossible. Especially if you want to use any reporting method other than FIFO.

Ugh. Doing this legally is a pain in the ass.

#568 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

So asking hypothetically for a friend, can someone chime in and tell me when TurboTax 2020 asks you about the crypto stuff with that question, what's the next question if you say "yes"? My friend is curious.

There isn’t a next question on the standard IRS forms.

Be careful though, the IRS is outsourcing this stuff and are calling it Operation Hidden Treasure.

From what I’m reading, they aren’t screwing around. On the flip side, their current guidance is pitiful.

“Operation Hidden Treasure is comprised of agents who are trained in cryptocurrency and virtual currency tracking, and who are focused on taxpayers who omit cryptocurrency income from their tax returns. Operation Hidden Treasure is a partnership between the civil office of fraud enforcement and the criminal investigation unit to root out tax evasion from cryptocurrency owners.”

Take it for what it’s worth. I decided that I’ll play by the rules just like I would with stocks and my retirement.

#571 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Me either, I have to get my taxes done and I just haven't gotten to that part of the program yet. Legitimately curious.

You'll just have to answer that one question on the 1040 form.

This is NOT TAX advice and I am NOT and CPA. But, the IRS does have some guidance on their website that they just clarified.

Cointracker says;

You can answer "No" if you only held or transferred between wallets. “A transaction involving virtual currency does not include the holding of virtual currency in a wallet or account, or the transfer of virtual currency from one wallet or account you own or control to another that you own or control.”

You have to answer "Yes" if you have come across following situations in the tax year:

Received crypto (include from an airdrop or hard fork)
Sold crypto for fiat (ex:- cashing out bitcoin on Coinbase)
Traded crypto for another crypto (ex:- spending bitcoin to buy Ethereum)
Used crypto to buy goods or services (ex:- using a crypto debit/credit card to buy a cup of coffee)

Selling crypto into fiat, trading crypto for another crypto and using crypto to buy goods and services are taxable events and subject to income tax. You are responsible of calculating the cost basis and resulting tax liabilities.

https://www.cointracker.io/blog/irs-clarifies-cryptocurrency-question-on-form-1040

Apparently that clarification comes from this IRS publication:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf

#572 3 years ago

I'm interested in all this talk (and money) going into NFTs. The problem is that I'm having issues identifying the platform on which these things run. Meaning, I don't want to spend $1,000 on the NFT, but want to invest in the governance token for the platform that handles the NFTs. I know the majority run on Etherium, but I know there are others.

So far, I know that MANA is one (which I've owned for years) and it looks like ENJ and GHST are also platforms. Anyone know of any others?

#573 3 years ago

Damnit, dammit, dammit. I know I should have grabbed MATIC a month ago at $0.04. Or even last week when it was $0.17.

And that boys and girls is the Coinbase Premium.

Anyone care to guess at what time Coinbase announced its listing?

5C2B6930-4230-450A-A709-03B9E61B71FE (resized).png5C2B6930-4230-450A-A709-03B9E61B71FE (resized).png

#581 3 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

I want to build rigs, but finding reasonable gpus is proving to be very difficult

I think you spelled the word “impossible” wrong.

#586 3 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

I love BlockFi, 8% staking fee daily!
Nexo also good

8% daily or is it 8% APY paid out daily? Their site says you get 8% APY, unless I'm missing something?

#589 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Would you recommend Ledger nano S or X?
Or is another brand better?

If I was buying one today, it would be the Trezor Model T.

The ledger might be better than it was, but deleting one coin to add another always scared the shit out of me. I honestly still have a ledger in the box that I never used because of that fact.

I was going to upgrade from the Trezor One to the T so I could hold some of the newer coins, but I’m finding myself staking them so it wouldn’t do me much good until I unstaked them.

#603 3 years ago

I'm holding onto a little cash right now for something, but I'm waiting to see if these support levels hold. It's a little sketchy right now.

#606 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Isnt BCH a good buy atm given the fact it was high a couple of years ago?

I thought BCH was going to go places too back in 2017-2018 because you could send it almost instantly and for very low fees. With that said, I've changed my thoughts on it because of the repeated 51% attacks. I have what I bought way back when, but I won't be buying anymore.

#609 3 years ago

It appears as though these support levels aren't going to hold. I'm sitting on the sidelines for a little longer. I don't have much to throw at it, but might as well try and catch the bottom.

I think we might be looking at a much deeper correction than we saw a few weeks ago. But that's just my half assed opinion.

#613 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I hope you are right; I'm also waiting to get some BTC

Don't rely on my opinion, I'm normally wrong.

#632 3 years ago

Finally, after talking about it for a month and watching it go up 4.5x, I bought some Polygon (MATIC). I had $800 laying around that needed a home.

#633 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

If you put that into AAVE instead it would be worth 850k. What's the disclaimer? "past performance is not a guarantee of future performance".

Are we looking at the same thing? AAVE in April 2020 was ~$16 so you could have bought 75 of them which would now be worth ~$27,000. Kick ass return, but it’s not $850,000.

#643 3 years ago

Whoa. What happened at 4:45am EST? Volume went through the roof and everything shot up. Well, everything but that Polygon I just bought. That went down.

#652 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

MANA has been on a roll since the announcement that Atari is going to build a casino in Decentraland.

Another one of those “shit, I should have bought more”. I grabbed about 1900 of them when they were $0.16.

#653 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

How can we makes some money with NFT’s?

I thought of buying in on the underlying platform. I posted about it the other day but it didn’t appear that anyone knew anything about them.

#655 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It's very interesting to me how Bitcoin has now become "the safe play" and everything else is now "the gamble". And everyone wants to gamble. "What's the next Bitcoin?"
So the smart play would be, if one of your gambles moons....sell it, then wait and roll it into BTC right before the next halving.

I haven’t been able to bring myself to buy anymore BTC. Let’s say I throw $1,000 into BTC today at $60,000. BTC would need to be $120,000 for me to double my investment.

I just feel like it’s going to get harder and harder for people to put their money into BTC as the price goes up and up.

At $120,000 someone will get 0.00833 BTC. I just can’t see people jumping onto that wagon.

On the other had, if I throw $1,000 at ADA it only needs to hit $2.32 for me to double my investment. I think people will feel like getting 431 coins for their $1,000 at $2.32is worth more than it is to get 0.00833 for the $1,000.

I feel like the fundamentals are going to go right out the window. Sure, corporations are going to look strictly at the fundamentals, but all of their trades are off book, so the price isn’t affected like it would be if retail investors put in the same amount of capital.

#665 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm right with you...not a full on maximalist but 80% of my crypto portfolio is BTC and I don't see that changing. I will also never sell it all. Shoot, right now I'm getting $500 a month just in interest on just a small portion of it.

At current rates, you’d need about $100k staked to earn $500/month on BTC. If that’s a small portion I’m totally jealous.

#671 3 years ago

No one finds it coincidental that the spike started about 6-8 hours after the first stimulus started appearing in peoples’ bank accounts? I’m wondering if this is just a short rush.

Then a few whales step in, sell a few thousand BTC all the new people freak out and things pull back again?

I’m thinking of throwing a little more in, but it scares me buying at the very top.

@Astropin, you have me convinced that my 0.71BTC isn’t enough and I need to increase that to 0.726BTC.

#687 3 years ago

The amusing thing is that was sponsored by Nicehash, who its assumed packaged a compromised version of PhoenixMiner with the executable about a week ago.

#702 3 years ago

Pro tip.....Don't pound a 6 pack with some friends while discussing crypto and then go buy $1,000 worth of BTC on Saturday night at $61,000/BTC.

#735 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Im only on coinbase so I cant hop on the wagon. ugh

I'm pretty sure you just log into Coinbase Pro with your Coinbase credentials. At least that's what I do. It's been so long that I can't remember if I had to "turn on" Coinbase Pro access or not.

Transfers back and forth between the two are instant and free.

#747 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

so somebody still has some BCH they paid a whole bunch for, lol.

Hey, kiss my ass.

Bought 0.37418 BCH @ $2,312.97 on 12/30/17 and then 0.36619 BCH @ $1,313.05 on 2/9/18. So much for trying to average down.

What did Billy Bob Thorton say in Bad Santa.....Oh, yeah. "Well, they can't all be winners now, can they?".

In my defense though, it's only one of 2 or 3 of my coins that aren't profitable.

#748 3 years ago

Anyone holding any BAT? What in the hell is going on there? Up 26% today?

#757 3 years ago

Cardano has held its price jump from yesterday, so that strength is nice to see.
I noticed this morning that LINK had a nice jump too last night. Looking at it, I think its because of this:
Grayscale Investments is offering new trusts to invest specifically in five different cryptocurrencies
$BAT $LINK $MANA $FIL $LPT

I just saw that, which I'm loving. I bought BAT @ $0.63, LINK @ $0.48 and MANA @ $0.16.

Of course I didn't buy enough of them, but at least I'm up.

https://www.coindesk.com/grayscale-offers-new-trusts-to-invest-in-five-more-cryptos-including-filecoin-chainlink

#759 3 years ago

Wowza! Nicely done!

Thanks. My cost basis is actually -$1.47 and I'm up 2,046% on the purchase. If I had only bought more I'd be retired. Ugh.

#760 3 years ago

I got a kick out of this one.
86687031wtmk.jpg86687031wtmk.jpg

#764 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

has there been any accidents / tragedy around home mining setups?

I got my finger scratched by a moving fan once.

Just kidding. I haven't heard of anything. Most components have a thermal protection circuit that will kick in if they overheat.

#767 3 years ago

never knew there was a coinbase pro

You can save a good bit in fees. I bought some BTC this morning and the fee through Coinbase would have been $14 if I remember correctly. I bought it through Coinbase Pro and the fees were $3.98.

#769 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Is mining really more profitable than just throwing money at it? Or is just the technical "thrill" of it?

I haven't really run the numbers, but I know it's profitable when you consider electricity and hardware costs. A lot of people do it because they have a gaming rig setup already and can just mine crypto when they aren't gaming.

My rig mined 9.67 ETH, 2,017 RVN and 3042 SC over its life. I probably have about $1200 into it or so for the 3 GPUs. They are struggling though and are getting close to being put out to pasture.

The issue is you can't buy a GPU anywhere so I'm going to milk them as long as I can.

#770 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm glad I wasn't alone in this. I think I opened my Coinbase account about 8 years ago and really hadn't used it much until the last 6 months. I'm guessing the Pro version came about when I wasn't really using the account.

It used to be called GDAX back "in the day".

#788 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

ah I get it. Well I only have CB so no ADA to transfer.

If you have a Coinbase account, you have a Coinbase Pro account. You can deposit into Coinbase Pro just like you can with Coinbase. The interface is just different.

Keep in mind, I think you need more than the wallet address to transfer ADA. I've never moved it before, but I thought I read that you need both the wallet address and some type of reference code. I'm not 100% sure. Make a small transfer first just to be sure. That's always best practices.

#789 3 years ago
Quoted from JRBBRJ:

I could send my Ada to coinbase pro. What’s the upside? Are fees that different than binance.us? I’m excited for the potential price pop but not sure why I would take the transfer them.

Transaction fees are: a + b * size (in bytes) = fee.

Right now;

a = 0.155381 ADA
b = 0.000043946 ADA

So your fee will be dependent on the amount of data required of the network to send your transaction. a and b are constants but can be changed through the voting process as the price of ADA fluctuates.

A typical transaction is about 200 bytes so you can expect fees to run about 0.164 ADA or about $0.23.

#792 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

The market buy/sell fees for both are 0.5%...Unless you are trading huge amounts.

Based on Leeb18509 saying it was 0.075%, I assumed he was trading between $100 - $300 million.

On a side note, I really miss the GDAX days when the Maker fees were 0%

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#794 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Doh, added an extra 0 to both. My bad. Was really just hoping to afford a JJP Pirates CE someday...

Sure you did. You're just a whale and aren't telling us.

#820 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I am trying out cointelegraph markets pro subscription ($99 a month). So far I have bought the following based upon checking into fundamentals and their vortecs score.
AAVE - bought at $356
RVN - bought at $0.211
HBAR - bought at $0.33
BNT - bought at $7.70
Will see how these go over the next week or so.

Keep me in the loop on what you think of the subscription. Are you testing this out as a day trading strategy, or just looking for entry points to HODL?

EDIT -> It looks like they give you an entry point based on their Vortecs score, but I'm wondering if they give you an exit point? I'd sign up for the trial, but I'd want to have $1k or something to play with so I could see if I was at least paying for the subscription.

I do like that they essentially back out market movement when calculating their score.

#823 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

UNI is a coin that vortecs alerted to earlier today when it was around 30.60. Now UNI is at 31.40 and will probably continue up more after a breather.

I hope so. I'm in for 94 of them at $8.44.

#832 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Just picked up 5000 STMX

What platform? It doesn't appear like they are on any of the platforms I use(Coinbase, Binance.US or Kraken).

#836 3 years ago

I'm not on that platform.

#838 3 years ago

Looked into trying to buy Celsius again. Swap fees are $109 (0.06 ETH).

1A0BB07A-CB39-4149-8DAC-F71FEEBFCEDC (resized).jpeg1A0BB07A-CB39-4149-8DAC-F71FEEBFCEDC (resized).jpeg
#843 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Don't short term trades trigger short term capital gains tax? (Hint...yes, yes they do).

They do, but a gain is a gain.

#844 3 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

Easy to get there

Anyone else on Voyager? I feel like I’m handing out my information to way to many places.....

#854 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

So? Just trying to have some fun with play money. Why do you feel it necessary to keep telling people what they are doing with their own money is “wrong”? :/ You do you and let others do what they want to do.

I don’t think that’s the way Astropin meant it to come across.

I’d consider day trading for things I didn’t believe in. For example, pay attention to the media and try and make a few bucks off the next DOGE pump, or a quick $1k from some other altcoin that’s crap.

Something I’d never want to hold would be the target. I’m a gambler and I always have been, which is why I got into crypto in the first place.

Since I can’t go to the horse track, I have to find something to wager on. Might be fun to see how it would shake out.

#858 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

I could show you what I use my BTC for if you're interested.

I’m listening.

#861 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

If that’s not how it was intended then my apologies.

Astropin doesn’t strike me as that type of person.

#871 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

if someone wanted to cash-out their Coinbase account, what would be the current turnaround time for selling your stock and getting cash safely in your bank account?

That would depend on which exchange you're using and how much. I think Coinbase has a $25k/day withdraw limit with a 1-2 day ACH window.

#873 3 years ago

Anyone else have this feeling like things are going to get messy? Everything has been consolidating for a few weeks and now we have a decent downturn over the last hour or so.

We appear to be pushing the lower boundaries of support across almost everything I’m looking at.

Something tells me I’m going to wake up tomorrow a very unhappy person.

#875 3 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

I am with you on this, very uneasy feeling, all went down BIG in a matter of 30 minutes.
Hold tight!! Don't let go.
or ... go get some

My problem is that I got some earlier this morning around $56,950. I know the chant has been BTC! BTC! BTC! But I’ve lost on the last 3 BTC trades.

All my Alts are still holding their own for the most part.

#886 3 years ago

Looks like the lower support levels are being breached for most of what I’m following.

Hold on to your butts, because I have a very sneaky suspicion we are about to get pummeled. Like 2018 pummeled.

Good luck everyone.

EDIT - I bought more LINK.

#893 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Boy did I pick the wrong day/week to jump in. Down almost 15% across the board in a couple days.

It’s painful to watch. On the other hand, I just come here to vent a little when it happens and then go buy more when it’s down.

If it’s something you believe in and plan on holding onto, then it’s just a discounted buying opportunity.

I just like rolling in and whining when I see 15% of my portfolio vaporize in the matter of 2 days.

#902 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Thanks for the details!
Now, how the hell am I going to get 2-10 BTC at the current market prices !?!

Well that's easy. They call it the $5 wrench attack.

xkcd.pngxkcd.png

#905 3 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Do some of you guys look at start-up coins / tokens ?

I have, but I don't stray from Coinbase, Kraken or Binance.US. A lot of times we don't have access to an exchange where you can buy those coins. At least not to my knowledge.

Quoted from Thor-NL:

Like SafeMoon, which is hyped atm, can hold 1 billion tokens for like 300 / 400 $ (i know when played out badly you're a 1billion bagholder of nothing )

Looks like the total supply of that coin is 1 quadrillion, or 1,000,000,000,000,000 coins. I'm steering clear of that one.

EDIT -> I just read the Safemoon whitepaper.....what a pile of crap. They toss around works like Defi, Liquidity, Arbitrage and expect people to fall for it?

There appears to be one Pull request on their git where they edited the Read Me file to look more professional. BSC explorer shows multiple vulnerabilities in the contract and it appears as though the contract is only 25 days old.

"The compiled contract might be susceptible to EmptyByteArrayCopy (medium-severity), DynamicArrayCleanup (medium-severity) Solidity Compiler Bugs."

I'm not saying you can't make some money jumping in for the pump, but you want to make sure you have a solid exit point because I have a feeling that project is a cash grab.

#937 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Testing out as a possible short term trading strategy. Not day trading, but also not long term. Think days/weeks. They don't give you an exit point really. My plan is to look at anything that pops up on vortecs score, look at the fundamentals and decide if the entry point is good. Then buy, and devise what my exit point would be based upon fundamentals like resistance levels etc.

How goes the subscription? I'm curious as to how it's working out.

#944 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Yeah looks risky AF which is while I bought some Topps NFT Godzilla Cards today! Rharrr! Was and interesting purchase to say the least
[quoted image]

Bad ass!

What token / blockchain does that run on? I’m trying to get into block chains that run NFTs but don’t know what token powers what platform.

#946 3 years ago

I know there are some new people here and I keep seeing stuff in the news of people getting scammed, so just a reminder to everyone NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR RECOVERY SEED. NEVER EVER EVER!

Also, you shouldn't have it electronically in any form, no pictures on your phone, no screen shots, nothing.

Mine is on two steel plates stored in safety deposit boxes. This is what I used, but there are a lot of other options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZW8CWY

While we are discussing keeping your stuff safe, here are some other tips.

1. Not your keys, not your coins. Invest in a hardware wallet (Trezor, Ledger, etc) You always want to have control over the private keys for your coins, however, that isn't always possible. Sometimes it has to be sitting on an exchange because it's being staked, or perhaps you want something in a hot wallet to trade, transfer, sell, etc. So........

2. If it's on an exchange, enable 2FA (OTPs / FIDO2) on the account. If the exchange doesn't support 2FA I'd be jumping ship. You can use Google Authenticator, but if you want to take it a step further, use a Yubikey. I purchased 2 Yubikeys and use one as a backup. The other I carry with me. I have 2FA setup on every account that will allow it...banks, 401K, Amazon, Exchanges, TDAmeritrade, etc. You would literally need the username / password for my accounts, my physical Yubikey and the password for my Yubikey to access one of my protected accounts.

https://www.yubico.com/

Oh, and use a password manager and different passwords for every site. The first thing hackers do with compromised credentials is try and use them on every financial site on the Internet. If each site has different credentials, then only one account could have been compromised and not all of them.

3. Speaking of hardware wallets, only ever purchase the hardware wallet from the manufacturer, never a 3rd party. I'd recommend either the Trezor or Ledger since they are the most recognized. Trezors come with holograms on the box or on the device itself. Compare the hologram with what's on their website to ensure it's authentic. They have a nice gif here of what you should see. https://trezor.io/start/

4. If it's on an exchange, considering setting up address whitelisting. A lot of exchanges are allowing you to specify withdraw address. Meaning you link your hardware wallet address with the exchange and only that address can be used for a withdraw. Withdraws to any other address will be denied. So even if someone would get access to your account, they could only send the coins to your address.

5. Consider withdraw delays. Some places allow you to set hold times on withdraws. For example, if you enable HODL mode on Celsius, they put a 24 hour hold on changing whitelisted addresses and withdraws. That gives you some time if you are compromised to try and resolve the issue.

#947 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

I’m a noob but I think wax (on top of the Titanosaurus pic). Again I just discovered everything today so I know nothing

I'm assuming you setup a wallet at wax.io? What did you have to use to purchase the NFT? Meaning did you have to transfer in ETH or something to purchase it?

Thanks!

#949 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Good post!

Thanks!

Quoted from EJS:

I like that recovery thingy you posted on Amazon. I purchased a ledger nano and they come with a notecard to write down the phrase but it is paper.

I transferred mine to the steel plate, had my wife and best friend check the transfer and then burned the paper copy.

Quoted from EJS:

I think I mentioned this earlier but I have since purchased galvanized steel pipe to store the device in for EMI protection. It’s an added layer of security and hopefully won’t ever be an issue but for $10 it’s peace of mind.
I would also recommend powering up any such device at least once a year (for those of you who are long term holders like me)

Just out of curiosity, why worry about the EMI? As long as you have the recovery seed, you can recover the wallets to any compatible wallet. Meaning, I could destroy my Trezor, and restore the the keys to another hardware device or software wallet using the 24 word recovery seed.

#955 3 years ago

My long term NFT thought is for virtual gaming goods. In game items players can earn from playing and then sell to others. It's done now, but it's all messy because of the transfer of account credentials between players.

I noticed that Capcom jumped on board with Wax which is interesting.

All these freakin' tokens I want to buy and I can't buy any of them. Ugh. CEL, WAXP and GHST are 3 on my radar and I have no way to get them.

#975 3 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Who knows where to buy?

It’s not an IPO. It’s a direct stock offering. So you can just buy it from any standard broker just like any other stock.

Assumption is that it will begin trading between $300-$350/share.

#993 3 years ago

I was up 6% when I woke up this morning and now I’m down 6%.

If only I could capitalize on those 12% in 24h swings I’d be a millionaire in no time.

1 week later
#1001 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

What is going on with BNB !?! I don't have any though

It’s very much like ETH without the high fees. Unfortunately it’s centralized.

Anyway, people are jumping ship from ETH to BNB. Too bad I picked ADA instead of BNB. Seems like ADA just isn’t panning out to be what everyone thought it would be. Maybe at some point but right now, BNB is eating it’s lunch.

#1004 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

What exchange are you guys using. I started with Coinbase since I'm a noob, but it's missing so much. I then added Kraken for some extra stuff I wanted to try, but it's still missing things like BNB and BTT. I'm trying to get on Voyager for BTT, but then I have 3 exchange accounts.
Any beginner-friendly places with more diversity in the offerings?
Also, what wallet do you guys recommend? Since I'm still new, I'm trying to sort through which sources can be trusted for recommendations and which are more clickbait.

I use Coinbase, Coinbase Pro, Kraken and Binance.US. My hardware wallet is a Trezor.

There are some coins I’d like, but I can’t find they on any US based exchanges. I’m not too interested in some of the other exchanges and having to give them so much information for the KYC / AML thing.

#1013 3 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

Couldn't agree more!
I plan to buy more very soon
Also buying more , vet,stormx, and bittorrent

What exchange are you using to get STMX?

Anyone else thinking CAKE has the possibility of going much higher than it is right now? I'm not following it very closely, but thought someone here might be watching it.

#1015 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Wondering how many others are into the yield farming on their bitcoin?

I stake SNX and LINK with Celsius. XTZ gets staked with Coinbase and DOT with Kraken. I'm earning the most with my SNX at 13.99%.

#1042 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Dogecoin is really taking off.
[quoted image]

Yeah, I didn’t really see that coming. I know it was getting pumped pretty hard, but it’s seriously a joke. I think the coin is trash, but I wish I would have bought some.

My LINK just took over the top spot in my portfolio. It’s up 14% in the last 3 days.

#1075 3 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Take your initial money out, and play it further with the house-money, can't go wrong when doing that

I've been considering doing this as well, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have a nice amount (to me) in my portfolio. It would be nice to take out my initial investment and then a little extra for fun. The problem I see is that if things keep going, I'll be missing out on a lot of gains. On the other hand, if the government comes in and shits all over everything, it could get bad pretty quick.

#1079 3 years ago

Can you explain what PPS is? Is that your hash rate because that's pretty crazy. I want whatever you have that's making that kind of return!

#1082 3 years ago

I transferred about 22% of my portfolio to Coinbase Pro last night and I’m thinking of taking out my initial investment and then a little fun money for my time.

Unfortunately I’m down about 4% overnight so maybe I’ll wait a little and see what happens.

Anyone get cold feet like this or is it just me?

#1102 3 years ago

What the hell is going on?!?!?

This is an insane crash. WTF?!?!?!?

#1107 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Things going back to the way they were a few weeks ago isn’t a crash. Things go up and down in the short term. Don’t think emotionally.

23% in under 45 minutes is emotional. Well, it is to me.

#1109 3 years ago

“While the exact reason for the sudden crash is unknown, the market mood may have soured due to rumors that the U.S. Treasury is planning to charge several financial institutions for money laundering using cryptocurrencies. CoinDesk has been unable to independently verify any pending government action.”

#1116 3 years ago

I'm just pissed because I had my 25% sitting there on an off ramp ready to sell. I talking with some buddies about what I planned to buy with my initial investment and some of my profit. I was waiting for another 2% or so until I had enough (not wanting to dip in my holdings anymore than the 25%). I look down at my phone and I'm down 4%, then 7%, then 10% then 15%. As fast as I could refresh I was down further and further.

The pleasant thoughts of the past were filled with sadness. It's a good thing I had a lot of beer laying around.

#1120 3 years ago

so I went back a page on this thread to reread your post, with fingers crossed that you had. Sorry to hear it didn’t quite happen.

Thanks! I appreciate it. We’ll see what the next few weeks bring. I have all my numbers ready go and most of what I need transferred to Coinbase Pro ready to sell. I just need the market to cooperate.

I was considering putting in some sell orders at the prices I need, but I’m not sure if I want to watch it in case of a break out with one of them.

It’s not money I need so I’m not really in a hurry. It just puts a damper on my timeline.

#1131 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

My Chia plotting is underway! Only have 3 plots farming currently but some SSDs arriving later this week should speed things up quite a bit.
[quoted image]

Do I even want to ask what Chia plotting is?

#1133 3 years ago

And why would you want to be “plotting”? Nothing in that article said anything about its use or anything else relevant to what it is or purpose that it serves. Other than a way to burn up SSDs and waste space.

Is there something in that article that explains what it does and I just missed it?

#1137 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Chia runs off of PoST (proof of space and time)
So in order to farm (like mining) you need to have plots to farm.
Each hard drive which can be HDD, will be filled with plots. In order to produce plots at an efficient rate a SSD preferably mounted via M2 off the motherboard would be used to plot your farms. Good CPU with good memory are ideal.
Think of your SSD like your tractor. Unfortunately SSD have finite life so they will get run into the ground. Once plotted the files hang out and are referenced from time to time so HDD work best/ more cost effective.

What does it do? Does it serve any purpose?

For example LINK acts as an oracle service bringing consensus data from off the Etherium virtual machine (EVM) onto the EVM for use in smart contracts. So things like non-ERC-20 token prices and financial data. It also allows interoperability between blockchains that have no way to share data.

BAT serves as a payment system so people can tip or support online content creators.

UNI, SUSHI and CAKE provides liquidity in a market where there might not be enough which allows people to exchange tokens where there isn't either enough liquidity to support their transaction, or perhaps there isn't a trading pair between the two currencies.

CEL allows people to stake tokens for interest that is then lent to other people or institutions that might not want to sell their coins thereby triggering a tax event.

I'm just trying to figure out what it actually does? It sounds like it just sucks up bandwidth and storage space while burning up SSDs for for no useful purpose?

#1139 3 years ago
Quoted from OzPinSmith:

There can be only one. THETA.

I added that to my watch list back when it was around $2, but it's not on any of the exchanges that I use, so I'm kind of out of luck.

#1140 3 years ago

And that boys and girls is why you don't keep your 'effin keys on your 'effin computer. That d-bag should be thrown in jail. Damn CEO of an exchange keeps his private keys for the administrative MetaMask wallet on his damn computer? Seriously?!?!

Mine have never been on my computer.....ever. They are embossed on steel plate locked in safes at two different locations.

https://cryptobriefing.com/easyfi-hacked-over-80-million-metamask-attack/

#1144 3 years ago

I'm going to get it from Astropin for this one, but I bought some DOGE. I had $41 in my Binance account I found when I went in to pull my weekly staking rewards numbers for my tracking software.

Figured, what the hell. I'll buy it at $0.34 and put in a sell order for $0.69 and see if I can double my money.

Before you down vote me too much, I also bought some SUSHI that I've been eying for the last few weeks. Figured the pull back might be a good time to get in on it. I appear to be pretty heavy into DeFi now that I take a look at my portfolio.

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm not going to downvote anyone for "playing" in a pump and dump scheme. $41....have fun. Just don't go thinking it has any real future and start adding real money to it just because you did "double your money".

To be honest, if I get a free case of Stella out of this, it’s a win.

I think it’s as much of a shit coin as you do.

#1166 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Think Doge is on the way back down.
Doesn’t seem to have many fundamentals behind it - can’t see where the support will come from once it starts dropping.
Got out about 10% ahead. Happy to be out.

I'm down $11.25. I don't think I'm going to get my free case of Stella out of that trade.

By design, the coin is built to go to $0. Unlimited supply and there are 10,000 mined every 60s. So just based on that, it will become worthless. Sure, maybe if Musk and Snoop Dogg shill it a few more times it might go up temporarily, but eventually it's going to be absolutely worthless.

At least that's my opinion.

I'm thinking of throwing another $600 at something today. I've been watching ENJ which looks like it could be a good project with all the buzz around NFTs right now. Add that to them appearing to cater to gamers and they might be on to something. I know there is an entire infrastructure built around buying and selling of in-game items.

I have a decent stake in SNX which took a pretty good hit lately, so that's also on the short list for today.

FIL is also pretty interesting. Looks like they have 2.5 Exabytes of available storage available at $0.0000527/GB per month. There have been projects like that before that didn't take off so I'm not sure if this one will gain traction or not. I was mining Saicoin a few years back which is pretty much the same thing, but that never took hold. Not sure if this one will or not. It appears to be a little different in that it isn't just an end user storage repository, but a platform you can build dapps on and which utilize the underlying storage.

STORJ is more of an end user file storage platform where the file gets essentially shredded and distributed across multiple nodes.

Hummmm. ENJ, SNX, FIL or STORJ for my $600......

#1167 3 years ago

I went with $400 in STORJ and $200 in SNX. STORJ links up with almost anything that supports S3 and appears to be much easier for someone to use. It integrates with a bunch of different software like FileZilla, .NET, MongoDB, etc.

It looks like FIL has a long way to go before it becomes a really viable platform and has the developer base to go with it.

I grabbed a little SNX mostly because I send it to Celsius with the rest of my SNX and get 14% every week.

#1169 3 years ago

Interesting. There is a lot of talk of this being the beginning of a bear market. BTC price below the 50 day moving average for the first time since October and losing it's dominance for the first time since 2018.

There was an interesting statement by the ExoAlpha chief investment officer

"Without any strong catalyst, breaking above $60k, looks difficult at this time and a break below $50k may drive Bitcoin down to $30k. Traditional markets showing signs of exhaustion may also put a dent on the crypto markets recovery".

I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about a recovery like I have the last few months during pull backs.

#1182 3 years ago

My portfolio is down 28% in the last 4 days and dropping at a rate of about 1% per 30 minutes at this point and it appears to be accelerating.

This is more than a correction but that’s just my opinion.

#1193 3 years ago

My sadness comes from moving 26% of my portfolio to an off ramp so I could get my initial investment back along with some profit. Turns out before I could actually sell, I lost 30% of my portfolio.

That's just my luck. No convertible for me this summer. Almost made it.

#1197 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Literally everyone is saying this mini crash is from Biden's capital gains tax proposal. But that is completely nonsensical. Therefore, this dip is temporary.

I saw that too, which made absolutely no sense at all. There *might?* be a tax increase so lets sell everything right now so that if there is actually a tax increase we can make sure we lock in gains so we have to pay the higher tax rate. Wait, what?

#1201 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Depends on the crypto...
Exchanges are vulnerable.

Exactly. If they are going to go after it, the off ramps are where it will happen.

#1203 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Looks like all start recovering; end of dip?

I'm definitely not convinced. This guy does some really good analysis. From what I'm seeing, we are hanging on by a thread right now according to the numbers.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/price-analysis-4-23-btc-eth-bnb-xrp-doge-ada-dot-uni-ltc-bch

#1212 3 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

If I'm being honest, I'm hoping it mini crashes one more time before the next surge
I always seem to regret not buying more than I do

I just had to down vote you because I was trying to get out 25% about 8 hours before this last "correction". I'll remove it if you want.

It can correct again, once it goes back up to pre-correction pricing and I can get out my 25%.

#1214 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Chia's proof of space is very interesting... don't have to worry about GPU's, only HDDs
https://www.pcmag.com/news/chia-cryptocurrency-expected-to-cause-hard-drive-and-ssd-shortages

My problem is that I'm still trying to figure out what it does or what problem it solves?

#1226 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

They are making a new one for ETH soon. It has a 9 in its name.
Other than that best advice is have good wiring in your home and hope you don’t mind a little white noise in your home.

Might want to take a look at current returns. My buddy is running a 6 GPU ETH miner and took a big old shot in the wallet over the last few days with the drop in payouts.

https://whattomine.com/coins/151-eth-ethash?cost=0.1&hr=171.0&p=840.0

#1234 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I have one on order too.
I didn’t like the huge pre mine aspect of it but looks easy and according to the map I think it would work well for my area. Shouldn’t take long to return the cost and I just plan on turning it into btc ASAP.

Anyone have a link? I’m down for $500.

#1238 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Pulled my BTC off BlockFi...they are droping their interest rates to 2% on anything over 0.5 BTC. At that level (for me) the reward is no longer worth the risk.
On a side note it was a pretty painless operation. They did have to confirm my idenity (that's fine by me). They then spent 1 day verifying (no biggie). Then they transfered 100% of all my BTC for no fee...not even a transfer fee (cool).

Celsius is 6.20% for BTC. I'm not sure what you were getting with BlockFi.

#1239 2 years ago

Wait, what does this thing do? It doesn't appear to offer Wifi coverage using your ISP to other people. I'm also not really liking their "how much Internet does it use". Sounds like it was written by a 4 year old. They are also using all the wrong units on their "Awesome article" when it comes to bandwidth and actual data.

In one spot they said 8.6gb per month receive, which I'm assuming means 8.6GB month, but the next graph shows 1500gb receive which I'm assuming is 1,500GB or 1.5TB per month.

Clear as mud if you ask me.

#1241 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

6%...but I'm not as convinced/impressed with Celsius as a company. For now I'll just go back to hodl’ing.

Can I ask why? I’m staking SNX and LINK with them right now.

#1246 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It sounded like the hardware is used to create it's own network mesh independent of WiFi. It's almost as if Helium was an ingenious invention by an RF manufacturer looking for a way sell their wares! I assume it's using public spectrum to do all this... because spectrum is highly regulated.

I was thinking the exact same thing to be honest. At first when I started reading I thought it was a public type mesh wifi that you could pay to use or something. But it babbles on about IoT devices and long range low data transmission. For what, I have no clue.

It's in the 900Mhz range so it would probably play hell with my Zwave stuff anyway.

#1258 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Celsius now at 3.51% on BTC...of any amount.

Are you sure about that? My app still shows me getting 6.20% and their website still says 6.20% on your first 2 BTC and then the 3.51% kicks in.

780F492D-622D-427A-9D8E-04B295B3BBDE (resized).jpeg780F492D-622D-427A-9D8E-04B295B3BBDE (resized).jpeg

#1263 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I was playing around on their site were you can estimate your payouts based on what crypto you deposit and how much you deposit. No mater how much (or little) Bitcoin I selected it kept saying 3.51%???

The only BTC I have with them is the free stuff I got as a referral. But it’s showing 6.20% in my account.

2592644D-F989-48F8-AD22-0FB9A1D0B723 (resized).jpeg2592644D-F989-48F8-AD22-0FB9A1D0B723 (resized).jpeg

#1265 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

With Ethereum taking off my BTC has dipped below 70% of my crypto holdings. Earlier this year it was 80%.

You’re a lot heavier in the BTC allocation than I am. BTC represents 23% of mine. ETH is 14%, LINK is 27% and the rest is scattered all over the place.

#1269 2 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Anyone else mining? I've been mining eth the past 2 months at about 290 mh/s.

I'm mining RVN. The ETH DAG blew right past my 4GB cards I was using for a few years. I can't get my hands on anything else. That's a hell of a hash rate. What GPUs?

#1270 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Nobody? Buy or skip?

1 guy, a two page whitepaper with no technical details that appears to be written by a 5 year old, a very generic roadmap, no advisors and an initial supply of 1 Trillion tokens?

"Our founder guarantees with his name and public presence the safety of our investors."

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#1277 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Do you run your PC all day mining when you are not gaming? I have a 3090 OCed for gaming. I PC game basically every night, but I would feel wierd running the thing all damn day especially whiile Im not home. Dont want to hurt my baby(my 3090)

I had 3 RX470s I started mining ETH with early 2017. They were all jammed on the same motherboard which was screwed down to a piece of scrap MDF I had laying around. The entire miner was sitting on the concrete floor in my basement.

She ran that way until around June 2020 happily mining ETH with no issues. Once the DAG exceeded the 4GB size the cards could no longer mine ETH. So they were chucked in a box. I pulled them out in January of this year and they have been mining RVN since that time.

So for about 3.5 years they have been overclocked and undervolted happily mining crypto.

That card should make you about $300/month or so.....Just sayin’.

Found a picture. Here she is in all her glory, zip ties included. She made me a good bit of money.

778D2647-2008-41E6-BE7C-07E10AF3B0F6 (resized).jpeg778D2647-2008-41E6-BE7C-07E10AF3B0F6 (resized).jpeg

#1278 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

And there you go, just 5 days later, crypto is at all time highs again and ETH is on fire . How you waited out the price fluctuation.

I’m not at an ATH yet on anything but ETH.
I’m not sure what your holding but everything is still a good but off it’s highs for me. It’s getting close though.

I need about 10% more.

#1295 2 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

I got a 5700 xt, 2 2060 supers and a rtx 3090. I have another 2060 super to go live next week.

Care to share how you’re getting your hands on cards?

#1303 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Hardware? Trezor or Ledger. I have a Ledger...easy to use.

I have a Trezor. The thought of deleting a currency from the Ledger led to it sitting in the package in my desk.

#1304 2 years ago

Anyone ever do a stop loss on Coinbase Pro? I want to make sure I get this right.

I'm assuming that this is what these things mean;

Stop Price - The price at which I want the trade to execute. For example, ETH is at $3,171 and I want to sell if the price drops to $3,075 then the Stop price would be $3,075.

Amount - This would obviously be the amount of ETH I want to sell at that stop price.

Limit Price - What goes here? Is this the lowest price at which I will sell with the slippage? So, something like $3,050? Meaning the trade will only execute when the price hits $3,075 but not below $3,050?

I've read about slippage a little and I think the Limit Price has something to do with that, but I'm not finding a clear answer.
Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#1306 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

OK. was looking at nice hash. If I do this can I still just use my online exchange of choice to store it?

I would NOT mine directly into an exchange wallet for a few reasons.

1. Some exchanges require minimum deposits and mining revenue can be very small transactions depending on the pool's minimum payout.
2. It's always possible that your account will be suspended along with your deposit address. Exchanges can also remove coins and suspend deposits for anything from fraud to maintenance.
3. Deposit addresses can expire. I know this happens with Binance if I remember correctly. The deposit address is pretty much a single use deposit after which the deposit is moved to a storage address. Go for a second deposit and the address may have expired.

I was mining ETH to Geth and RVN to the official RVN wallet. I was then sending my ETH where I wanted once there was a sufficient amount to send based on current transaction fees. I haven't done anything with RVN so it's just sitting there for now.

#1308 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I wasnt thinking about doing it directly. I was thinking more about transfering it like once/month?

Then yes, you can definitely do that with mining revenue. You can send it to any valid address of the currency you're mining. You just have to be careful not to send it to the wrong address. Such as sending BTC to a BCH address.

If you want something in a hot wallet to sell or trade, then an exchange is a great place for it to sit. If you're looking for long term storage, I'd recommend a hardware wallet like a Ledger or Trezor.

#1310 2 years ago

Holy shit Batman. ETH just plowed right through the $3,200 sell wall like it didn't even exist.

#1313 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

So you guys really only HODL and never sell to buy more?
I mean ETH is crazy high atm; selling now can most probably get you some more very soon.

I've been HODLing since 2017. I'm planning on selling 25-30% of my long term holdings as soon as things run back up to where I want them to be. Then I'll liquidate those holdings and sit on the rest. Anything short term which is most of my alts I'm not touching right now. That will get me my initial investment back and some profit that I can go blow on something totally irresponsible.

I'm not selling all of any one coin, just a percentage of stuff that only triggers long term gains. If things go to the moon, great, I'm still putting money in my pocket (just not as much). If it crashes or gets banned at least I got out what I put in and then some.

Then the rest just stays there until......Well, until who knows when.

Here is my main thought regarding this entire situation. This is a new asset class just like precious metals, property, stock, etc. Wealth creation like this will never happen again as long as I'm alive and I feel like this is the ground floor. I'm only liquidating some of my stuff because there is that looming black cloud of pure chaos and destruction called the government that has yet to get out their beat down stick.

#1318 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Anyone ever do a stop loss on Coinbase Pro? I want to make sure I get this right.
I'm assuming that this is what these things mean;
Stop Price - The price at which I want the trade to execute. For example, ETH is at $3,171 and I want to sell if the price drops to $3,075 then the Stop price would be $3,075.
Amount - This would obviously be the amount of ETH I want to sell at that stop price.
Limit Price - What goes here? Is this the lowest price at which I will sell with the slippage? So, something like $3,050? Meaning the trade will only execute when the price hits $3,075 but not below $3,050?
I've read about slippage a little and I think the Limit Price has something to do with that, but I'm not finding a clear answer.
[quoted image]

I'm quoting myself on this one because I think I figured it out in case anyone else wants to know. The Stop price is the price at which I want to trigger the creation of a limit order. The Limit Price is the price at which that limit order is created.

So for example, a stop price of $3,075 and a Limit Price of $3,050 means that as soon as the price of ETH would drop to $3,075 the system would generate an order to sell my ETH at $3,050. That's to prevent the market price from flying right past my stop price before the order is created and executed.

You want to make sure you specify that price because if you don't, the system will generate a limit order at market price. So if there is some flash crash and the only order on the order book is $10 then you just sold your ETH for $10.

#1323 2 years ago

I have to be the worst trader in the history of the planet. I was trying to sell some ETH and figured I'd do a trailing stop loss so I could let it run until it wanted to correct. ETH was up at ~$3,450 so I moved my stop loss up to $3,275. I checked and not since the 27th, had ETH pulled back more than $75 before returning to its uptrend.

My assumption was that unless it was in for a decent sized correction, I was in good shape. Anyone care to guess how that worked out? About 30 minutes later it decided to drop about 3x that amount, trigger my stop loss and sell my ETH. Then it goes right back up again.

Oh and to add to my pain a little more DOGE is up 10%.

#1325 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Most people won't do auto stop losses because of temp market fluctuations like that.

Yeah, but if there was a 25% correction overnight while I was asleep, I would have been a genius.

#1334 2 years ago

I'm not sure what is going to happen with DOGE in the short term. I read that it was just added by eToro and Gemini just opened deposits a few hours ago. If you keep adding exchanges and increasing the availability, no telling what might happen in the short term.

Either way, my $44.82 is now worth $65.71 so I'm on my way to a case of Stella.

I'm wondering if I should cancel my sell order for $0.69?

#1338 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

With the exception of bitcoin, which was actually used as currency for 99% illegal activity, every one of these cryptos is a pyramid scheme / pump and dump / whatever else you're saying about dogecoin if buy / sell is it's only purpose.

99% illegal activity? And you pulled that number out of what orifice?

Please enlighten us as to how this is a pyramid scheme. Are you saying that because you don't understand it, or perhaps you're sad you didn't get in earlier? I'll wait right here for your explanation.

#1342 2 years ago

On a happier note, my largest holding is LINK. Someone lit a fire under it in the last 2 hours. I'm considering taking my 25% out now. All time high, up 10% in the last 24 hours. Then again, don't they say that once you punch through the ATH you're now in price discovery mode? There was a $1 million sell wall at $46.50 that took a few tries to get through, but she punched through.

The Addams family call out is stuck in my head saying Greed!!! Then again, I'm also reminded of that old saying that "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".

I hate these decisions.

#1346 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've never taken any profits. Not because of greed, but because I see a real future for Crypto. If I think the future is bright then why would I take profits now? Plus, if you take profits then where do you put that money? Stocks? Cash (lol)? If you have something you really want to buy...go for it, but otherwise let it run.

I see a future for it as well, which is why I'm holding onto 75% of my long term holdings and 100% of my current short term holdings. It's also why I bought it 4 years ago. However, I'm going to do something completely irresponsible with some of my profits.

I decided to take profits a few weeks ago when I was sitting around with a few friends (mostly stock guys) having a few beers. We were talking about our portfolios and saying "what are we waiting for?". Is it retirement? Maybe a certain dollar amount? A certain percentage gain?

It kind of dawned on me and I thought why am I working my ass off everyday to save every possible penny for retirement when I'm not sure if I'm going to be around next week. This was money I threw at the wall years ago that just happened to stick. I'm going to take some and do something completely irresponsible with it.......just because.

I understand the entire hold and let it run if you believe in it, but I'm not going to be around forever so I'm going to have a little fun now. The rest I'll hold for a rainy day.

#1347 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

For those of you that have Phoenixmixer or any other mining software on your gaming PC, aren't you worried about security?
I mean if you login to an exchange or wallet... or anything else.

I never use my mining PC to access an exchange. I use a different computer at my house or my work computer, both of which I know are clean.

I wrote a decent pile of tips a few pages back. I would HIGHLY recommend a 2FA hardware key. I use Yubikeys.

https://www.yubico.com/

#1348 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

So what's the utility of bitcoin and all these cryptos? Any of you guys actually spending any of them or otherwise using them as currency, or just buying them and hoping they appreciate so you can sell them?

I'll throw out two terms for you and you can do your own reading. Come back with any questions and I'll be more than happy to help.

1. Decentralized Finance (DeFi)
2. Smart Contracts

#1350 2 years ago

I'm not wasting my time with you anymore. Go ahead and think what you want and get left in the dust. You're obviously here to troll and I don't have time to feed trolls.

Oh and neither of those terms have anything to do with "fuck the state".

#1355 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I'm not trolling I'm just trying to understand, sorry for frustrating and upsetting you. Genuinely not my intention.

My apologies then, I thought you were trolling based on your “two neato terms….” comment. If you’re serious about understanding, lookup DeFi and Smart Contracts.

No one here is saying everything but BTC and ETH are scams. I’ve invested in 28 different crypto tokens and have about 30 more on my watch list. It just so happens there are ones out there that are scams or complete bullshit.

I’ll post more tomorrow because it’s beer o’clock.

#1368 2 years ago

Not that anyone cares, but I’m on my way to taking a little fun money out.

Sold some LINK at $49.22 last night and some ETH at $3,293.

Need to sell some LTC next which is almost at its ATH. I was going to sell some BTC, but it’s a little low right now so I might get a small temporary loan for that and allow it to recover first.

As my financial planner buddy said, money is cheap right now.

I might just have to look into a Celsius loan on that one. I’m not sure what their LTV is on the loans though.

#1398 2 years ago

I enjoy following your adventure, please keep sharing as you go

Thanks! I sold some LTC yesterday morning at $337. I've decided against liquidating 25% of my long term lower value coins like MANA, BAT and XLM. I'm going to let them run. I just don't think the small amount I'd get out of selling 25% is worth the potential upside. So right now, just BTC is left to get trimmed down. I'm deciding if I want to dump all my BCH because I just don't see the value in it, although it was around $2,500 during the last bull run so who knows.

I transferred out from Coinbase Pro yesterday after selling the LTC and by 6:00pm it was in my bank account. They said by Monday, but it was there the same day.

Still just BTC to go, however, I don't want to do that until it's in the $65k range. I'll just take out a short term loan for now on that and allow it to recover. No big deal.

#1399 2 years ago

Anyone know where you can trade ETH and BTC options? I'd be interested in potentially trying my hand at a call option. I'm playing with almost 100% of the house's money right now.

#1402 2 years ago

I saw that Kraken opened up ADA staking. Might send over my ADA from Coinbase and Binance and make a few percent.

#1403 2 years ago
Quoted from JRBBRJ:

Excited to see Ada above 1.6 this morning.
I’m in the same boat with my small coins. I was thinking about taking 25% of my lower value coins. Decided to let them run instead until i have enough profit to liquidate for a new stern pro and leave some skin in the game.

I'm finding that selling only a portion makes it much easier to swallow if you don't sell at the top. If had sold it all and it ran up, I'd probably cry. Now if ETH goes to $20,000, I'll still have 75% of my investment and will have just missed out on some gains.

#1405 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

LOL...I just did this.

It says "between 4 - 6%". I can't find the differentiation. Did it tell you why the spread?

#1410 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I use LedgerX for BTC. Don’t use it, but Phemix does the alts too.

Can I just open an account and buy a call option for $X if I think the price of a coin is going to increase and then sell it if the price does increase before the expiration date and take the profit? Do they have to be covered calls? I don't have 100 ETH lying around to use to cover a call.

911 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Spyderturbo007. You are on page 1 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi?tu=Spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.