(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8049 (resized).png
IMG_8038 (resized).png
IMG_8034 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #438 Bitcoin gain loss chart by month from 2011 to Feb 2021 Posted by Pdxmonkey (3 years ago)

Post #946 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (3 years ago)

Post #3247 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Spyderturbo007 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Elvishasleft.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6294 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

I feel one of the things that doesn't get enough discussion is how this can readily attract/tempt people who are susceptible to gambling addictions. Has much been written on that before?
)

This is 100% the case... everyone I know who is crazy into crypto is also into sports betting etc.

Some of my favorite conversations on the topic have been asking people to explain blockchain or whatever (and they cant and sound like idiots trying to do it)

All they know is "I heard everyone else is making tons of money" so I jumped in.

Everyone else is doing it is always a wise investment strategy.

#6295 1 year ago

dupe srry

#6302 1 year ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

100% the case? That's a bold brush to paint every crypto holder with hahaha.
I imagine there are quite a few people who jump into it hoping for moon shots, but to say everyone in crypto has that mentality is simply not true.
Usually the ones who jump in and over bet on hyped altcoins get flushed out whenever the markets correct. That's why you see so many alts rise and die each cycle. Those are the gambling type.
But there are also a lot of people in crypto who are DCAing in, within their budget to not overextend themselves, in coins they believe have strong fundamentals and a bright future. They're not afraid to hold for the long term.
I think the crypto market, lead by Bitcoin, has shown that it has evolved into a form of legit investing. Yes its still early on in crypto, and for every good project there are quite a few shitty ones too. It's up to the buyer to do their research. "A fool and his money are soon parted" is true. But to say everyone who buys crypto is a gambler or a fool isn't a very observant view. Though some people see it this way, and that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

I said 100% the case "for people I know".

I realize it's not everyone but the a ton of people seem to be in there because they heard or someone told them about it not because they are even remotely educated about it.

All I have to do is ask to explain blockchain or something so I can hear them say um 50 times and bullshit something.

It's like when some dumbass politician said the internet was a "series of tubes" back in the day.

#6337 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Cory Klippsten spells out how Celsius is a Ponzi. This is just a snippet:

Thats news? There is Crypto that isn't a Ponzi?

3 weeks later
#6575 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah...there is no possible way that bitcoin is any sort of scam/Ponzi; literally impossible.
Plus, Celsius isn't a "crypto"...it's a company pandering to the crypto community. Although part of that business does include their own "cel" token.

OK Ill edit my original statement in fairness

Crypto in general is no more a ponzi than anything else. The Fed, our economy, pretty much our entire financial system.

#6578 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I could see feeling that way about "crypto"...and I would agree with you.
Bitcoin's ledger represents an immutable record of absolute truth. First time in human history that has existed.

Bitcoin itself is a wonderful concept.

It's wrapped up in the same bullshit everything else is at this point.

Was fun when money was being thrown around and everything was worth the ride, be interesting to see how it hangs in ongoing.

When shitty deli's start taking your "currency" it's maybe time to check your marketing plan.

Great concept, terrible marketing.

#6611 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Who's in charge of Bitcoin's marketing again?
Maybe you should email the CEO?

Sadly.. most of their "marketing" is word of mouth and comes from the people who bought in on hype and know nothing.

I cant tell you how many dumbasses I have asked about it that have no idea what they are invested in other than "look how much its gone up" or someone else told me to buy in.

Same people that are running for the hills right about now.

#6621 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Not just crypto down stocks down big too. Real estate coming next. We’re at the end of a debt cycle, way overdue. Personally I think Bitcoin will do fine if you can hold it into next cycle.

Well yah... so much for the crypto has nothing to do with the other markets theory then.

#6623 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

EVERYTHING is getting hit....gold is down also. Right now people are exiting into cash.

100%... see you when bitcoin is 3000

#6625 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Imo…
The legacy fiat system worldwide is broken….
It’s like a big game of chicken to see which nation defaults hard first to be blamed for this; EU, China, US, Russia, place your bets. This is why I buy crypto, might be wrong but I don’t see a better alternative atm.

As I said earlier its a sound concept and I don't blame anyone for backing it. Shit got out of control though...

Like anything new its going to have issues and growing pains, the messaging on it has been pretty weak overall

Be interesting to see how this pans out in the end but it doesn't look good for a while like everything else.

#6627 1 year ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Interesting statistic.
“According to BTC historical data, the market has now reached valuation metrics that show the price is severely oversold and perhaps near a bottom. Bitcoin has now fallen below its realized price, which represents the average price of every coin in supply based on the time it was last spent on-chain.”
https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-price-falls-below-its-realized-price-but-is-it-time-to-buy-the-dip

"buy the dip" is the new "to the moon"

#6662 1 year ago
Quoted from Firechief:

Dot com bust showed how gullible boomers were. Crypto bust shows how gullible boomers millennial kids are. Most of these buyers never had clue how to value a company or an asset.

The lure of easy money does seem to attract the gullible.

Look how popular sports betting is now.

Spend $1 get $100 the commercial says!!! hey, I can do that... and I have $1. Hey, where did my dollar go? duh.

#6679 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

This chart includes BTC having four 80%+ drawdowns. It's volatile...but just lengthen your time frames.
[quoted image]

Oooh a chart. lol

#6683 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

According to NASDAQ.COM it's performance was even better than the chart I posted:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nasdaq.com/articles/bitcoin-vastly-outperformed-gold-and-sp-500-over-the-past-decade%3famp
If you don't like that I could post dozens more (I'm not going to...DYOR).

I'd like to see more charts based on the few years of "historical " data there are.

Comparing new things with barely any history to things like the S&P makes no sense.

Like me saying my 8 year old nephew will be president someday.

Speculation is fun and all but...

#6689 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm comparing it to the S&P...and gold and other assets...you don't have to.

I know you are... but this is why I was saying there is a "marketing issue".

You have the zealots like yourself who feel free to post crazy shit with nothing behind it like its fact.

Especially when you do things like compare one thing with no history to the S&P which is ya know.. 500 things with 65 years of history.

You may as well use numbers like a kazillion.

There is a reason so many people don't take it seriously.

#6693 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

It seems like every few months someone comes on this thread that doesn't understand or like crypto and wants to argue about it. I'm not sure why people bother to argue with them, it's exactly like trying to argue with my dad, he's very old, set in his ways, scared of new ideas, and you are never going to change his mind. Elvishasleft is just here to troll for arguments.

Not at all...

I just wish the messaging was better because the crazier people make it sound the more volatile it is.

As far as not understanding or "liking" it. Ive done pretty well with it so its not like I don't work with it.

People are going to have to grow up and stop saying stupid pie in the sky shit if it's ever going to stabilize.

You cant throw out charts saying it's going up 300,000% and be taken seriously.

#6695 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Saying it's gone up over 300,000 percent isn't crazy, it's simply a fact. It also does not imply that it's going to ever do that again! What's so hard about all this?
I fully agree with "past performance does not equal future performance"...posting factual historical information does not change that. It also doesn't change that bitcoin is likely going to be a very valuable asset class and it's still early. No, were not going to see 300,000+%...so what?

It's gone up a crazy amount due to hype... and you are trying to continue that hype I get it.

It matters because you want both things and that doesn't work... you want it to be "taken seriously" but you also want to say crazy speculative shit that noone not drinking the coolaid believes.

I realize its 2022 and thats how people are but it doesn't work.

Trying to help you... honestly this is something companies actually working in the crypto space teach their employees. They want them to tone down the "to the moon" gagillion percent blah blah rhetoric.

#6697 1 year ago

I wish you the best... shit is about to get real in the economy in general so we will find out in 2023.

#6704 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Well in fairness to Astro, he's made it clear for years now that he's holding Bitcoin on a decades-long timeframe, and I think he's maintained that position through at least a few Bitcoin crashes. So unless something truly exceptional happens it's more like he'll find out in 2033.

I hope he's right and wish him luck as I said.

On the upside a good housecleaning will help weed out those that are truly gambling and don't have that long term outlook (or a clue what they own) which in this case is a fair amount.

It will need to stabilize at some point and will be interesting to see what that means.... without the gamblers you wont have the huge run up potential.

As I said its a challenge to market it correctly.

End up day you want it to go up with the right people invested who aren't just running and gunning but that also means no more crazy ass upside.

#6706 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It will be a long time before the volatility gets shaken out. I expect to be well up in a decade ...but expect the volatility will still be there ...not as severe, but still there.

It will get there... they need more of you and less of the uneducated in there.

If that ever happens be interesting to see where it lands without the clueless pure speculation buyers.

#6831 1 year ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Personally I think a future metaverse economy will be staggeringly large.

You are probably right and what a sad commentary on humanity that is.

As if facebook etc were not bad enough to distort peoples sense of reality.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Elvishasleft.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi?tu=Elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.