(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,238 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png
btc (resized).jpg
IMG_7715 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240301-124124 (resized).png
20240229_085145 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,238 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 165.
#402 3 years ago

Got it! Pictures help and I understand the importance of validating the blockchain now - it's necessary in peer-to-peer decentralized banking so we all know who has what and that those amounts are correct.

What is the "complex mathematical problem" that miners must solve to validate the chain? Where does that come from?

Edit: Reading about Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm. Good thing I was always so good at maf. Wow, had no idea some of these concepts behind bitcoin!

#403 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Thanks for your explanation spyderturbo007.... I know I'm asking questions that must seem REALLY dumb if you understand this stuff...

Not at all, pretty complicated stuff, and you are not stepping in blindly.
Always good to know some fundamentals

#404 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My thought is that the overall crypto market will rise as more people (like me) get interested in it. Some crypto will be worthless, just like some fiat currency, but I think some will take off and the early adopters will be rewarded. My plan is to buy into the 4 that I think have the best potential for sticking around; Bitcoin, ethereum, ada, and dogecoin. I’m not a “wealthy” man but I have a little extra on payday, so I plan to contribute $25 every 2 weeks for the year (maybe ongoing), I will be buying whatever seems to be dipping that week and then I plan is to hold everything until 2030. If something takes off crazy then I might sell a bit to recoup my investment and transfer into whatever is low at that time, but my plan is to hold everything.

excellent...except for dogecoin...dogecoin has no possible future; pure "pump & dump" meme coin. It was literally created as a joke.

#405 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My plan is to buy into the 4 that I think have the best potential for sticking around; Bitcoin, ethereum, ada, and dogecoin.

Just to make sure everyone else understands Dogecoin, it was a joke someone came up with in 2 hours. He stepped away from the project years ago and even today can't believe it is still alive. It's perfectly fine to trade it, and it may stay around a while, but it's a vastly different animal than the other 3 which have intended utility. Bitcoin, Eth, Ada all have utilities that would explode their value on on mass adoption, but Dogecoin has no such utility.

It's actually possible Dogecoin could be morphed into something more than it is, due to its popularity, but I'm not aware of any vision for it. The other important consideration is this: 27% of all Dogecoin is owned by a single address, and over half of Dogecoin is owned by just 20 addresses. That gives substantial risk to its forward volatility if any of them decide to sell. Feel free trade it and make money off of those who don't know better, but it's hard to see any investment value in it.

#407 3 years ago

I thought with MicroStrategy buying $1 billion more worth of bitcoin, and with Square buying another $170 million in bitcoin, that bitcoin would've had a bit better of a day today. But I'm also green to this so maybe crypto doesn't immediately react the same way that stocks do to news.

#408 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I thought with MicroStrategy buying $1 billion more worth of bitcoin, and with Square buying another $170 million in bitcoin, that bitcoin would've had a bit better of a day today. But I'm also green to this so maybe crypto doesn't immediately react the same way that stocks do to news.

They don’t buy through retail channels so you don’t see the price swings with huge orders.

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

They don’t buy through retail channels so you don’t see the price swings with huge orders.

How do they buy? Direct transfer from someone who has the bitcoin they want to buy?

#410 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

How do they buy? Direct transfer from someone who has the bitcoin they want to buy?

They call it an OTC Trade (Over The Counter). Genesis Trading is a name I’ve seen before. You can also go directly to some of the larger exchanges depending on the size of the order.

If I remember correctly it was discovered that the recent Tesla purchase was facilitated by Coinbase.

Going OTC with a large purchase ensures liquidity and a stable price for the transaction.

#411 3 years ago

They call it an OTC Trade (Over The Counter). Genesis Trading is a name I’ve seen before. You can also go directly to some of the larger exchanges depending on the size of the order.
If I remember correctly it was discovered that the recent Tesla purchase was facilitated by Coinbase.
Going OTC with a large purchase ensures liquidity and a stable price for the transaction.

I've also heard that very large purchases can be negotiated directly with minors.

#412 3 years ago

Got it, thanks!

#413 3 years ago

Got the last random purchase of Ada done today. I’m now switching over to regular biweekly buys. I’m excited to see what March 1st brings, should be an exciting month.

#414 3 years ago

Got the last random purchase of Ada done today. I’m now switching over to regular biweekly buys. I’m excited to see what March 1st brings, should be an exciting month.

I'm running out of spending money! It figures too, right when there is a pull back, I've spent all my play money. Somehow the market knows! /puts on aluminum foil hat

Grabbed another 516 ALGO @ $1.15 Tuesday night while I was drinking.

I like it because it's a native blockchain, PoS, can handle 1 million transactions a day and has extremely low transaction fees. It has a max supply of 10 million tokens set to be released over the next 9 years.

I don't know if it's going to take off, but I'm confident that there will be another native blockchain that reaches mass adoption. Unless ETH can find a way to increase their transaction times and lower the fees. I know there is a lot of work going on to consolidate transactions off chain before bringing them on chain, but I'm not sure how that's going to pan out.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02.

#415 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

What is the "complex mathematical problem" that miners must solve to validate the chain? Where does that come from?

What the "complex mathematical problem" really is, is trying to generate a hash that is less than or equal to the hash of the current block.

A hash is a series of bytes that comes from a set of data plus something called a nonce. It's basically a lottery since you can't reverse a hash to it's original value. The miners guess hashes over and over until one satisfies the block.

You can play with making a SHA-256 hash on this website: https://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/sha256.html

Now imagine a bitcoin miner is creating these hashes trillions upon trillions of times a second and seeing if they satisfy the block they are working on. The first person to find one that works gets the reward from the block, something like 6.5 BTC.

When you mine in a pool, everyone mining in the pool is treated as one entity so you massively increase your chances of getting something (like a bunch of coworkers pooling their money to buy a large number of lottery tickets, then splitting the prize). Different pools use different calculations to determine how much of the bitcoin reward you personally get.

#416 3 years ago

Looking to buy into DOT, or add to my ADA (been in ADA since .42 cents) during possible dips today. It's feeling like we already bottomed out on this latest pullback but can't say for certain.

#417 3 years ago

I'm hoping for a BTC dip to $10k so I could actually get "1" but...

#418 3 years ago

Cardano/Ada is going on a nice climb this morning. 1.17 at the time of posting this.

#419 3 years ago

Cardano/Ada is going on a nice climb this morning. 1.17 at the time of posting this.

I doubled up on my Cardano yesterday morning.

#420 3 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I'm hoping for a BTC dip to $10k so I could actually get "1" but...

We will never see 30k again, let alone 10. No need to buy a whole coin...just keep stacking Sats!

#421 3 years ago

Crap I missed the ADA boat. I'll wait for another pull back to add to my position I guess lol.

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I doubled up on my Cardano yesterday morning.

I added about 250 more ada yesterday evening, before I transferred them off the exchange and into a staking pool. I have about 6030 ada now. I bought about half of those in the .70-.80 range. So while I didn't get in too early, I'm just happy I eventually did jump in. I did keep $2000 cash for now, to use for smaller biweekly buys, or if things dip hard again I can average the price down a bit.

#423 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Crap I missed the ADA boat. I'll wait for another pull back to add to my position I guess lol.

If you got in at .42 cents, I think you did better than most of us did.
I think March 1st will be a big day for Ada, but if there's a dip over the weekend you might be able to buy at a nice price before then.

#424 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

If I start to learn the game, in the long haul it doesn't really matter if you buy at 0.6 or 0.9 or whatever if 1 ADA can become 10.

HODL right?

#425 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Can any of you recommend a book or website that discusses crypto basics in layman's terms? Sort of a beginners guide to understanding how it all works?
I ask because I struggle with the mechanics of crypto (blockchain, staking, smart contracts, etc.), especially when I try to explain it to someone else (disbelieving wife). I feel like I understand the general concept. The philosophy. But the technical aspects and terminology are beyond me when I try to read about various coins. I don't know any coding. I'm not an engineer. I just don't have any background for this stuff.
Seems like this is the biggest hurdle for crypto needs to clear to make that last jump into the mainstream. The average joe needs to know why he should use it, how it works, and why it will continue to have value - and right now, that's not an easy answer.

Read these 2 books.
The Bitcoin Standard
https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-bitcoin-standard/id1396764099
The Price of Tomorrow
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=1492775334
YouTube search: Michael Saylor, Preston Pysh, Jeff Booth
Good luck!!

#426 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Read these 2 books.

Awesome, thank you for the recommendations and I will!

Thanks also for the mining explanation @wolfmarsh!

This stuff is fascinating and high level. But that's what seems to lend it legitimacy. We've got our... top men working on it.

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Awesome, thank you for the recommendations and I will!
Thanks also for the mining explanation wolfmarsh!
This stuff is fascinating and high level. But that's what seems to lend it legitimacy. We've got our... top men working on it.

This is also a great read! - https://www.lynalden.com/misconceptions-about-bitcoin/

#428 3 years ago

I was able to snag more ADA at $1.10. All of the signs point to ADA popping up again soon I think.

#429 3 years ago

50426CC2-C4BB-4196-9517-84248393FA11 (resized).png50426CC2-C4BB-4196-9517-84248393FA11 (resized).png

This news might be helping prop Ada up today.

Also, I’m very excited about Ada/cardano, but if I’m posting about it to the point it’s annoying, feel free to say haha. I’ll try to calm my posting down.

#430 3 years ago

[quoted image]
This news might be helping prop Ada up today.
Also, I’m very excited about Ada/cardano, but if I’m posting about it to the point it’s annoying, feel free to say haha. I’ll try to calm my posting down.

You're allowed to be excited.

I think we are all excited about the emergence and adoption of a new asset class.

#431 3 years ago

A lot of us here I think are in ADA so I don't see anyone hating you posting good news about it.

#432 3 years ago

Pamp It!! $ADA

#433 3 years ago

Id like to buy ada but its not available on coinbase... and i already have a coinbase and paypal account i dont want another! I tried to buy sanp on fidelity to get some exposure but they dont list it

#434 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Id like to buy ada but its not available on coinbase... and i already have a coinbase and paypal account i dont want another! I tried to buy sanp on fidelity to get some exposure but they dont list it

On twitter I always see a ton of comments from people tagging coinbase to get ada listed to the exchange. I think when it eventually does get listed it will see a nice bump in price and ownership. I'm guessing Ada will get listed after it becomes 100% decentralized. But that's just a guess.

#435 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I know you don’t want another account. But....Crypto.com is simple. Buy USDC on Coinbase transfer to Crypto.com then buy ADA with the USDC. It will take 5 minutes to set it up without setting up a deposit line. That’s how I do it. Just an idea.

#436 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I know you don’t want another account. But....Crypto.com is simple. Buy USDC on Coinbase transfer to Crypto.com then buy ADA with the USDC. It will take 5 minutes to set it up without setting up a deposit line. That’s how I do it. Just an idea.

Oh...wow, cool option. I just used Binance.us.

#437 3 years ago

Do not be surprised if crypto is on sale in March. March is a notoriously bad month for BTC. Only 2 out of the last 12 did the price rise in March...the other 10 all dropped.

By July things should be pretty awesome. So buy while it's on sale. My 2 cents.

#438 3 years ago

Found a nice chart

7188EB8E-B8FE-4C2C-ACD3-77C7DF47C9D9 (resized).png7188EB8E-B8FE-4C2C-ACD3-77C7DF47C9D9 (resized).png
#439 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Found a nice chart
[quoted image]

Excellent...and fascinating. Looks like Sept is the 2nd worst month. Or, second best for buying!

#440 3 years ago

How many of you are mining?
I have just begun looking into it, and I know that video cards are commanding a premium these days, but it looks like I can still get a legit AlienWare rig with a top of the line card for about $2700.
I know I have a lot more reading to do, but that's not really that serious of an entry fee for something that I could set up an potentially make some money off of.

Anyone have any good links they can share for getting started? I'm definitely computer savy enough to make it happen. Seems like it's worth looking into.

#441 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I have just begun looking into it, and I know that video cards are commanding a premium these days, but it looks like I can still get a legit AlienWare rig with a top of the line card for about $2700.
I know I have a lot more reading to do, but that's not really that serious of an entry fee for something that I could set up an potentially make some money off of.
Anyone have any good links they can share for getting started? I'm definitely computer savy enough to make it happen. Seems like it's worth looking into.

I'd love to get more information on that too. Thanks in advance!

#442 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

A bigger question before you start mining is, what do you want to mine?

Different crypto uses different algorithms.

#443 3 years ago

https://whattomine.com/

Start there Enter a quantity for your video card, click on the video card, and then click calculate.

#444 3 years ago

When you want to buy the dip, but your favorite crypto didn't get the dip memo like the rest:

crypto (resized).JPGcrypto (resized).JPG

#445 3 years ago

I was mining ETH for about 2 years with 3 RX470 cards I bought back in 2017. I did product reviews for NewEgg so I already had a motherboard, memory and a CPU laying around. Grabbed an old spindle disk I had sitting on my desk, screwed everything into a piece of MDF (seriously) and away I went.

I mined 4.86 ETH with that rig until the DAG exceeded 4GB and then the cards were worthless for mining ETH. I re-allocated them to RVN. The hash rate is pretty low, but I'm getting about 100 RVN every 3 days or so.

I was dual mining ETH and SAI towards the end and mined about 3,000 of them, but they aren't worth anything.

For hardware I had laying around, I'm not complaining.

#446 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

What cards?

As for getting started, it's really a piece of cake. The hardest part is getting the cards dialed in, should you choose to do that with them.

1. Choose a coin
2. Choose a miner
3. Choose a pool
4. Create a wallet
5. Paste the wallet address into the miner .bat file
6. Profit.

#447 3 years ago

The hardest part right now is trying to get any newer GTX cards.

#448 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The hardest part right now is trying to get any newer GTX cards.

NVIDIA came out the other day and said that starting with the release of the 3060 they are going to configure the card to recognize when it's mining and Nerf the hash rate. They are supposed to be releasing a CMP card just for mining that has no display outputs and denser chips.

I guess all the gamers were whining that they can't get cards.

#449 3 years ago

What cards?
As for getting started, it's really a piece of cake. The hardest part is getting the cards dialed in, should you choose to do that with them.
1. Choose a coin
2. Choose a miner
3. Choose a pool
4. Create a wallet
5. Paste the wallet address into the miner .bat file
6. Profit.

Can you elaborate on how the setup works?

With obligated covid remote work I have like 20 desktops with RTX2070 in the office doing nothing. What is needed to start mining?

https://www.betterhash.net/faq/ ?

#450 3 years ago

NVIDIA came out the other day and said that starting with the release of the 3060 they are going to configure the card to recognize when it's mining and Nerf the hash rate. They are supposed to be releasing a CMP card just for mining that has no display outputs and denser chips.
I guess all the gamers were whining that they can't get cards.

Wow seriously? Not sure how I feel about that - it kinda devalues their own market. Hard to justify buying a video card that you want for gaming but mining in your spare time.

There are 8,238 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 165.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi/page/9?hl=mbrave77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.