(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,246 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Pdxmonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png
btc (resized).jpg
IMG_7715 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,246 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 165.
#3251 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Let's talk security! I know there are some new comers to this thread and although I'm no expert, I feel that I employ a lot more security measures than some might.
1. Use a strong password. It's really helpful if you use a password manager. With all the data breaches happening where clear text passwords + email addresses are being compromised, the first thing hackers do is try those credentials on any website they can find. I recommend Bitwarden, which is open source, audited and free for individual use.
2. Use a unique password. I have a strong, unique password for every website I use. Bitwarden handles everything for me including generating the password. You want something crazy like hd%*#he0FFvg$rt%. If you don't have to ever remember it, who cares what it is.
3. Use 2FA (Two Factor Authentication). This is a secondary layer of security where you're prompted for a TOTP (Time-based One Time Password). You use a code following the credential verification to validate the credentials. The code expires typically within 60 seconds. This protects you in the event that your credentials are compromised.
4. Use a 2FA Hardware Device. I don't use any 2FA methods that are cellular or email based. If someone were to have control of my email account or I've been SIM jacked, they also have access to my 2FA to validate the credentials. I use a Yubikey 5 NFC. I actually have 2 of them in case one gets lost or damaged. It's a password protected hardware device that stores the TOTP codes. It can also handle FIDO2 and FIDO U2F 2FA which is even more secure that TOTP.
https://www.yubico.com/product/yubikey-5c-nfc/
So literally, to get into my Coinbase account, you'd need my Coinbase login credentials, my physical Yubikey and the password to the Yubikey.
5. "Not your keys, not your coins." For coins you are HODLing, consider transferring them to an offline hardware wallet. This ensures that your coins are safe in the event of an account breach or an exchange hack. Something like a Trezor or Ledger.
6. Only purchase the hardware wallet from the manufacturer. Never from Amazon, eBay, etc. This ensures that you aren't getting a molested device.
7. Guard your recovery seed with your life. The mnemonic recovery seed allows someone to recreate your wallet. Meaning if you gave me your mnemonic seed, within a few minutes, I'd have complete control over everything in that wallet. You shouldn't store them online, keep a picture on your phone, or anything of that nature. They should be offline only and kept somewhere secure, like a safe deposit box. If kept digitally on something like a flash drive, make sure you password protect the file with something like AES-256 Encryption.
8. Store your hardware wallet and mnemonic seed in separate locations. You don't want both in your house in case of a fire. If they both get wiped out, you're essentially screwed....and not in a good way.
9. Consider engraving your keys onto a fire resistant steel plate. I use a Cobo tablet you can find at Amazon
10. Whitelist withdraw addresses. Most exchanges support address whitelisting. Whitelists are a list of addresses you authorize as withdraw targets. Typically it requires multiple notifications along with a 48 hour hold to withdraw funds. So if your account would be compromised and someone did try and transfer your funds, they would have to wait 48 hours to change the withdraw address, in which time you'd most likely be notified.
That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to chime in with other security precautions.

*wild applause*
Most everyone on the internet need to read #1-4 at minimum.

#3252 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

That's a great write up on security.
That being said...your post right before, about all the staking. None of that is fully secure. Especially the pancake swap. Earning 90+ percent interest just does not sound safe at all. Sounds like a rug pull waiting to happen.

Yeah, definitely not the safest way to do things, especially the Pancakeswap. However, that 90% is supposedly coming from the token issuance. It's apparently unlimited as far as creation, but they are doing that burn thing like Eth started.

Not sure how it's going to shake out, which is why I only put some of what I have in there and not all. I can afford to lose what I put in. It would really sting, but I'd be alright.

#3253 2 years ago

Any Cardano fans been messing around with the NFT’s there?

I grabbed a couple PixelTiles today. Game is supposed to launch with the NFT’s later this year.

#3254 2 years ago

Thinking about getting into sports collectible NFT's...but not even sure where to start.

#3255 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Any Cardano fans been messing around with the NFT’s there?
I grabbed a couple PixelTiles today. Game is supposed to launch with the NFT’s later this year.

I’d love the low down on this stuff, if you have time to type it out?

#3256 2 years ago

Cardano NFT market launched last week (I think?)
Here’s the marketplace
https://www.cnft.io/

PixelTiles
https://www.wrde.com/story/44550763/presale-of-the-new-nft-game-on-cardano-network-just-finished

Link to site
https://www.drunkendragon.games/
And you need a grandmaster

https://www.cnft.io/marketplace.php?search=Grandmaster

I only bought a few packs. Could be cool, could be a waste of time and money. But I like how these NFTs are game pieces in a story game and have the ability to die or get rewarded with more NFTs. Unfortunately like a lot of thinks in crypto you’re buying before the actual product is out.

Edit: upon further research the ones you really want are sold out already. Have to find another project for better capitalization.

#3257 2 years ago

It's nice to have physical crypto.

IMG_1774 (resized).jpegIMG_1774 (resized).jpeg

#3258 2 years ago

Are those loaded?

#3259 2 years ago

So with the news about Chinese crypto miners back online, do we expect another Bitcoin bull run?

#3260 2 years ago

Speaking of physical tokens….Crypto Imperator just put out a token that is 1oz silver/loaded 0.01 Eth/NFT all in one…pretty cool.
4C10EF1A-678D-4131-9937-61F8E7D63082 (resized).jpeg4C10EF1A-678D-4131-9937-61F8E7D63082 (resized).jpeg

#3261 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

do we expect another Bitcoin bull run?

Wasn't that the plan all along?

#3262 2 years ago

Anyone have advice for best cardano staking pool in Daedalus wallet? Just feelign that my current pool may not be rewardin as much as it used to.

#3263 2 years ago

This Bitcoin bull run is starting to remind me more and more like the 2013 run. If that's the case we won't see it really take off until late in the year and possibly push into early next year. 2013 peaked in December but each cycle has been stretching out (we are in the 4th cycle). So I would expect a later peak this time around. My earlier prediction of hitting 100k before the end of the year might not happen, but I still think it's likely to exceed 100k before this bull run is over. As always DYOR.

btc 13-21 (resized).jpegbtc 13-21 (resized).jpeg

P.S. I've been looking at the NFT markets, skipping right past the tldr...98% of people playing in that market will get rekt. Have fun with "fun" money but if you get carried away I wish you good luck...you're going to need it.

#3264 2 years ago

I'm not touching NFTs with a 10 million mile long pole. Utterly worthless other than FOMO value.

#3265 2 years ago

Gaming NFTs will be big soon.

#3266 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Gaming NFTs will be big soon.

Fools and their money. *shrug*

Frankly, I hope the creators of these things walk with billions of dollars. It's the greatest legal scam I've ever seen. Literally selling vapor and people are paying thousands of dollars for it.

#3267 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm not touching NFTs with a 10 million mile long pole. Utterly worthless other than FOMO value.

You would be mistaken Sir. I've sold something like $75K worth of NFTs that I minted for basically nothing. If you get in on the right project early, you can make a LOT of money very quickly. That said, I did throw away about $100K on pretty worthless NFTs, but my two CryptoPunks have more than covered those losses. They are very speculative and not something for the risk averse to get involved in. Basically, it's gambling like lottery tickets but with much better odds. There are also a lot of fake NFTs and OpenSea and other sites are rife with scammers...I've been burned on a few sales. One really needs to do their research before investing in digital images.

I own two CryptoPunks I bought early in 2021 and will not be selling them for a LONG time.

https://www.larvalabs.com/cryptopunks/forsale

B25F1C0F-9FE2-4317-AF2C-177093437616 (resized).pngB25F1C0F-9FE2-4317-AF2C-177093437616 (resized).png
#3268 2 years ago
Quoted from robm:

Anyone have advice for best cardano staking pool in Daedalus wallet? Just feelign that my current pool may not be rewardin as much as it used to.

What are you getting?
I have two pools.

One is a Pinside’s pool Tyger
Other is Blue Cheese Stake House (0)

BCSH is more consistent around 6
Tyger last one was over 7 but have had low ones too

#3269 2 years ago

Free $3 Rally if you have a Coinbase account and a pulse

#3270 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

What are you getting?
I have two pools.

I have mine in Hyper. No complaints so far.

#3271 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

You would be mistaken Sir. I've sold something like $75K worth of NFTs that I minted for basically nothing. If you get in on the right project early, you can make a LOT of money very quickly. That said, I did throw away about $100K on pretty worthless NFTs, but my two CryptoPunks have more than covered those losses. They are very speculative and not something for the risk averse to get involved in. Basically, it's gambling like lottery tickets but with much better odds. There are also a lot of fake NFTs and OpenSea and other sites are rife with scammers...I've been burned on a few sales. One really needs to do their research before investing in digital images.
I own two CryptoPunks I bought early in 2021 and will not be selling them for a LONG time.
https://www.larvalabs.com/cryptopunks/forsale[quoted image]

I honestly can't believe those crypto punks have any value at all ...I wish you good luck and good fortune sir.

#3272 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

What are you getting?
I have two pools.

My pittance is in Tyger for no reason other than seeing it on here, glad to know someone with more knowledge at least has a toe in there too.

#3273 2 years ago

Also lock your SIM with your mobile carrier. Anything to make it harder for the scammers to execute a SIM swap.

Let's talk security! I know there are some new comers to this thread and although I'm no expert, I feel that I employ a lot more security measures than some might.
1. Use a strong password. It's really helpful if you use a password manager. With all the data breaches happening where clear text passwords + email addresses are being compromised, the first thing hackers do is try those credentials on any website they can find. I recommend Bitwarden, which is open source, audited and free for individual use.

#3274 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

You would be mistaken Sir. I've sold something like $75K worth of NFTs that I minted for basically nothing.

Damn. After a couple months, I made $40 minus the $80 it took me to get started. Couldn't even give NFTs to friends so I gave up. I must have been doing it wrong!

#3275 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

What are you getting?
I have two pools.

Hmmm, so i was with STAKE for the last 9 months or so. Just discovered the pooltool.io site where you can track your monthly rewards. For some reason, i have not been getting any rewards since May 31st! Pooltools.io shows i have the same amount staked, but jsut zero rewards. So have swapped over to CNODE now, but will have to wait another week or so to see what happens there. No idea why i've had zero rewards for 15 epochs...a fair amount of free ADA lost there!

Was speaking to a mate who got into ADA really early (7c), and he said he is getting 500 ADA each epoch.....he must have some serious cash there now!!!!

#3276 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

They are very speculative and not something for the risk averse to get involved in. Basically, it's gambling like lottery tickets but with much better odds.

You just made my entire point for me. Thanks. Not a single cogent argument for how they're NOT just FOMO fodder for the rich and/or stupid. What do they do? Nothing. What rights do you get by owning them. None, aside from being able to sell it. The only purpose is to fool idiots into spending money, and then getting other idiots to spend more money. At least the state-run lotteries give some money to schools.

Quoted from Frax:

Frankly, I hope the creators of these things walk with billions of dollars. It's the greatest legal scam I've ever seen. Literally selling vapor and people are paying thousands of dollars for it.

Why so defensive? You clearly fit into my statement here. Congratulations on your profit.

*edit* Any of you guys want to buy a pinball related NFT? I'll go put up some of my pixel art (which I have previously shared here) as a NFT and you can pay me. I'll actually sign away reproduction and use rights for it. Low low price of 2 ETH so that I can buy a new A/C unit for my condo.

#3277 2 years ago

You’re thinking of NFTs like baseball cards. Something to look at but not much else. You’re missing some potential, NFTs could be more like Magic the gathering cards. They can serve a purpose and have a use case of playing the game. The leader is Axie Infinity, I want to look into Gods Unchained as I think they’re doing it too.
These are from the ground up projects, in the next year or two we’re going to see major licenses come in and do some cool stuff.

#3278 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You’re thinking of NFTs like baseball cards. Something to look at but not much else. You’re missing some potential, NFTs could be more like Magic the gathering cards. They can serve a purpose and have a use case of playing the game. The leader is Axie Infinity, I want to look into Gods Unchained as I think they’re doing it too.
These are from the ground up projects, in the next year or two we’re going to see major licenses come in and do some cool stuff.

See, and I tried to be a bit more open-minded...looked into Axie and I just don't get it. Like...I'm not going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars up front to play something that looks like Zynga junk from 10 years ago?

*Edit* Cheapest I see on their market is 188 bucks, or the price of THREE AAA games. I'll stick with Metroid Dread.

I'd say I'll try to find some videos or something...but frankly I just don't have the time. The A/C unit in my condo (that we're supposed to be vacating for our rental tenants in 12 days!!!) seriously is dead (wish I was joking about that..), and I'm on mandatory overtime...but I'm working at least 63.5 hours for the next two weeks assuming our voluntary overtime doesn't get cancelled to try and pay for this crap.....money was supposed to be going towards Ultraman, now I'm not even sure if I'll be able to keep Ultraman or not.

Good times.

*edit 2* I think the entire point is NFTs having any value beyond FOMO is still in "extremely early adopter" phase. If you have the money to gamble, go ahead. I don't. Until it gets to a place where it's affordable for people to drop a *reasonable* amount of money, say 60 bucks, to get into these gaming systems, I don't see myself giving a single hoot about it. It seems Axie has some way to "rent" them.....but again...time, and my personal interest is almost zero because it looks like a typical cell phone game.

Someone integrate unique NFT-and-one-only cosmetic gear or housing items into Final Fantasy 14 if you want to sell me on it.

#3279 2 years ago

You’re proving the point. Two months ago this Axies were $8 each. You can also win them in the game. The money in this is getting in early on the right project. Right project is important.

Edit I’m not looking at putting money in Axie…I want to put money in the next thing.
I think it could be Star Atlas on Solana but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

#3280 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Two months ago this Axies were $8 each.

Well....that's nice? It's still a lottery ticket. I'm not interested in what *was*. I can't go back in time, only forward. Bitcoin was less than a dollar when I first found out about it. I'm not going to spend my life worrying about the things that happened for other people that didn't happen for me. I'm not interested in get-rich-quick schemes, period. Those are games for the already wealthy, or the extremely careless, not someone that makes 42k/year and has responsibilities to their family to provide a stable environment.

Without some way to bring in new blood, the economy will stagnate and die, just like in many other games in the past. Do they have enough addicted whales to pull off the gatcha-type longevity of say something like Final Fantasy Brave Exvius that's been running for 5 years, or will they just die out from attrition as other copycats come out, like so many low-tier gatchas and MMOs do? Impossible to say, but I don't for one second believe that 300 dollars for entry is a price point that is sustainable. The game could run for a decade, or one year. I have no idea what their development and operating expenses are like...if they're very minimal because everything is just procedurally generated and the backend doesn't take much maintenance....they could be around for a VERY long time with comparatively few active users.

Stable returns over instant gratification has saved my bacon countless times. I'm not going to throw that away just because other people are losing their damn minds over this or that "new hotness". I'm quite happy to take larger returns than my 401k at very little risk right now. Once I get the A/C fixed, Ultraman, and my house and other debt paid off? I'll have more money for gambling at that point, and I won't care if it disappears or not so much.

Lots of other people can make money on this stuff right now. Good for them. It's not for me, and I fail to see how it will ever be at this point. It's going to take something far more interesting than these "games" like Axie. I'll be waiting on the announcements of those major licenses. If Nintendo/GameFreak decided to get in on this crap with Pokemon, it would make Axie look like utter garbage.

#3281 2 years ago

Star Atlas looks like someone is trying to build NFT stuff into EVE Online/No Man's Sky. That's more along the lines of what I'm talking about. It looks like an actual game that might be fun to play even if you don't heavily participate in the NFT part of it. Second Life has made a killing with stuff along these lines...not that I expect Second Life level of freedom to do whatever, but SL to me is the most successful model of commoditization of player-owned and designed items.

#3282 2 years ago

Suspect Disappears With $119,000,000 Worth of Dogecoin in Alleged DOGE Mining Scam:

https://dailyhodl.com/2021/08/30/suspect-disappears-with-119000000-worth-of-dogecoin-in-alleged-doge-mining-scam/

lol

#3283 2 years ago

What are your moves this week? I feel like everything is holding pretty steady right now with ETH slowly continually climbing and I can't tell which way the crypto market is heading, so I'm really not doing anything. Prices seem too high to buy more BTC, ETH and ADA.

#3284 2 years ago

CAKE is down a bit... I put the money I'd pulled out last week back in it. Just felt like it was time, though I don't have any logic for this. I almost instantly regretted it, and it was probably a bad decision, but at this point, I'm just going to let it ride until it spikes back up, or if it looks like it's going to continue downward in a substantial way....I just need to get back out before it goes below 18.

Extremely wary of putting a bigger amount into it, and I've still got a few days to wait since minimum stake time is 3 days to withdraw from pool without the .1% fee.

#3285 2 years ago

Look at DOT and KSM go
Solana also having a great week

#3286 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Look at DOT and KSM go
Solana also having a great week

I noticed DOT was up 20% this morning. and Solana has been on a huge run and just won't stop.

#3287 2 years ago

I really just can't wrap my head around these NFT's. Maybe I'm just too old now. I understand digital scarcity...Satoshi invented it! But...with NFT's there are a million new pieces of "scarce" shit created everyday. How the hell can you claim "this" piece will be worth more in the future?

Some guy posted a picture of a monkey that he paid $252,800 for. So I simply right clicked and downloaded it...now I have one also...for free. Who gives a fuck if his is the "original"???

f-ing nft monkey (resized).pngf-ing nft monkey (resized).png

#3288 2 years ago

Ah the Bored Apes.
Some got those as free airdrops.

Few points
Owning that NFT also grants access to certain airdrops.
He can prove on the blockchain that he owns that art where as you can not. With that proof he can sell it.
Certain NFT also give you commercial uses.
Some NFTs can make other NFTs, there’s a popular one with horses, where you can breed and also race horses.
The value is calculated in Eth.

NFTs I believe will adapt to a lot more use cases. Profit sharing, defi, and game is all coming. I think that it’ll be huge when the technology catches up.

Long story short it is proof he owns a digital asset versus a picture of his asset. Some people are having a lot of fun in the space and some artists are getting paid.

I’m just trying to learn the space now.

#3289 2 years ago

Instead of showing off their Lambos or Rolexes, Bitcoin millionaires are now flashing their 6 figure NFTs to each other. If you don't understand why, your bags are far too small.

#3290 2 years ago

The random home made art nfts I’ll never understand. Now the ones from licensed companies I completely get. My buddy bought a few packs of Funko nft trading cards. If people can collect a full set, they can redeem them for a real life limited edition funko. Or they can just keep the cards for fun. Now that style of nfts makes sense to me. I’d like to buy a few packs next run, and I’d be up for buying nhl nfts when they eventually come around.

So I think there’s a ton of potential, we just haven’t hit the quality yet. It will come in time. And I’ll sit on the sideline until then.

#3291 2 years ago

I’ve invested around $200K into NFTs. So far, only the CryptoPunks and Meebits have paid off big. The rest I’ve researched and purchased expecting they will appreciate over time. It is a bit silly how valuable these are, but they’re fun and a lot of money can be made very quickly if you invest in the right project early. Definitely not something to spend the rent or grocery money on! There is a bright future ahead for NFTs whether you believe in them or not. There are kids making hundreds of thousands on them just like online gaming, YouTube, Twitch, etc. Strange new times we’re living in. These are my two punks and I’m holding them for a long time. Yes, you must pay capital gains taxes on them when selling for a profit!
C476ADD7-DAB5-4E26-89DD-6B20D0DA81DD (resized).pngC476ADD7-DAB5-4E26-89DD-6B20D0DA81DD (resized).pngF5E1BF80-DDE5-482D-B32F-7E6E6CB6129D (resized).pngF5E1BF80-DDE5-482D-B32F-7E6E6CB6129D (resized).png

#3292 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

These are my two punks and I’m holding them for a long time.

What's the "estimated value" based on? I'm assuming you'd have to hold an auction or find a buyer if you wanted to move one of these?

Also, am I the only one thinking "sell sell sell"?!? If you can get $300k for one of these things it seems criminal not to take it.

#3293 2 years ago

Here, you can buy my copy for 100k. I’ll even ship it via drop box for free

F1245191-EF1F-4509-A39F-DCECDBAEB119 (resized).pngF1245191-EF1F-4509-A39F-DCECDBAEB119 (resized).png
#3294 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What's the "estimated value" based on? I'm assuming you'd have to hold an auction or find a buyer if you wanted to move one of these?
Also, am I the only one thinking "sell sell sell"?!? If you can get $300k for one of these things it seems criminal not to take it.

The value is based on various factors such as aesthetics, properties/attributes, rarity, mint number, etc. A few days ago CryptoPunks were valued around $500K minimum, so they've lost a lot of value in a short time. The NFT space is very fickle and volatile and seems to go up and down with ETH price. I've thought about selling, but I believe the floor price on these particular NFTs will be over 1M in a few years. Either that, or they become worthless digital pictures and that's the gamble one takes. There is also the tax implication to consider if selling. Current sale prices on the punks are listed at https://www.larvalabs.com/cryptopunks/forsale. To sell, one would simply list them for sale on the LarvaLabs site or on OpenSea. If and when that day comes, I'll be sweating bullets as any mistake would cost hundreds of thousands if not more.

#3295 2 years ago

These guys are just money laundering aren’t they

#3296 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I've thought about selling, but I believe the floor price on these particular NFTs will be over 1M in a few years. Either that, or they become worthless digital pictures and that's the gamble one takes.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, why not sell one and hold the other then? Take your $300k profits (and pay your taxes like a good boy), and then if the other one goes up or down you come out way ahead regardless?

#3297 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

At the risk of beating a dead horse, why not sell one and hold the other then? Take your $300k profits (and pay your taxes like a good boy), and then if the other one goes up or down you come out way ahead regardless?

Tempting, but I don't need the money or any more pinball machines, lol. The day will come when I sell the punks, but not anytime soon. Taxes will be paid

#3298 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

don't need the money

FR49488_full_1_465x705 (resized).jpgFR49488_full_1_465x705 (resized).jpg
#3299 2 years ago

Visa bought a crypto punk NFT last week. That series is the Picasso of the NFT world.

#3300 2 years ago

Anyone doing crowd loans on ksm?

There are 8,246 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 165.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi/page/66?hl=supergrafx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.