(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8049 (resized).png
IMG_8038 (resized).png
IMG_8034 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,272 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 166.
#2652 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Damn. I loved that guy. A little shady that it happened in his prison cell right after the court case.
NOT safe for work.

That was F'n great!

RIP, hope someone was doing their rounds.

#2653 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

http://dickening.com/
He doesn’t bother me, don’t want to speculate but that would be the most epic ending maybe ever.

That would be the ultimate indeed

#2654 2 years ago

Damn. I loved that guy. A little shady that it happened in his prison cell right after the court case.
NOT safe for work.

Doing lines through a crazy straw is a nice touch

#2655 2 years ago

If you’re bored, Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee was pretty good.

I’ve watched a lot of his interviews over the years and he appeared to be highly intelligent and very well spoken.

#2656 2 years ago

Interesting.......

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPGCapture1 (resized).JPGCapture1 (resized).JPG
#2657 2 years ago

R.I.P.
20210624_093647.jpg20210624_093647.jpg

#2658 2 years ago

Interesting.......[quoted image][quoted image]

His last tweet was alittle grimmer though.

#2659 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

It certainly was . As if he felt something coming

#2660 2 years ago

Things look like they are starting to rebound a bit. I'm cautiously optimistic about it though, as we could easily see another dip. Cardano is up 37 cents though in 2 days, so it shows a fair bit of support above a dollar yet.

#2661 2 years ago

Yeah, all my coins are up and I'm glad I bought the ADA dip.

#2662 2 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

As if he felt something coming

Anyone who has followed his exploits online knows he has "felt something coming" for decades now.
Frankly I'm impressed he lived that long.

#2663 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:Anyone who has followed his exploits online knows he has "felt something coming" for decades now.
Frankly I'm impressed he lived that long.

Yea dude was insane. Sad it ended the way it did but he needed professional help. What a ride for sure.

#2664 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Is it still up? The most recent one I'm seeing is this one, which doesn't seem grim to me.
Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#2665 2 years ago
317ED572-F8D1-4354-BFC5-58E92E5DF1FC (resized).png317ED572-F8D1-4354-BFC5-58E92E5DF1FC (resized).png
#2666 2 years ago

I bought a little bit more SUSHI and a little more AAVE earlier. Not sure if we are looking at a changing of the tides or just a momentary recovery to be followed by a larger pull back.

#2667 2 years ago

Pretty good one
NSFW

#2668 2 years ago

Did anyone else buy AMP on Coinbase after doing the quizzes and getting $3 worth free? I bought $100 worth just to see what happens, it's up 5%, but most of my coins are up alot more than that in the past day or two.

#2669 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Pretty good one
NSFW

Well, I can't disagree that he would have made a better president that Trump.

#2670 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Did anyone else buy AMP on Coinbase after doing the quizzes and getting $3 worth free? I bought $100 worth just to see what happens, it's up 5%, but most of my coins are up alot more than that in the past day or two.

Nope - I converted them all to ALGO so it's earning interest while staking.

#2671 2 years ago

https://nypost.com/2021/06/24/brothers-disappear-with-3-6b-in-bitcoin-in-alleged-heist/amp/

How is that possible? Would that be akin to the owner of coinbase making off with peoples wallets?

#2672 2 years ago

LOL

#2673 2 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

https://nypost.com/2021/06/24/brothers-disappear-with-3-6b-in-bitcoin-in-alleged-heist/amp/
How is that possible? Would that be akin to the owner of coinbase making off with peoples wallets?

Not with their hardware ones , the ones online yes

#2674 2 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Pretty much. In real world terms, this is the equivalent of people storing gold coins at a bank, and the owners of the bank taking off with everyone's coins. This is why the safest thing you can do is keep your crypto away from any third party.

Also a side thought, considering Coinbase is a publicly traded company, there is a lot of incentive for this not to happen, along with extra incentive to avoid hacking, as any breach will destroy the stock price. IMO it's more risky to keep crypto at private exchanges.

#2675 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Pretty much. In real world terms, this is the equivalent of people storing gold coins at a bank, and the owners of the bank taking off with everyone's coins. This is why the safest thing you can do is keep your crypto away from any third party.
Also a side thought, considering Coinbase is a publicly traded company, there is a lot of incentive for this not to happen, along with extra incentive to avoid hacking, as any breach will destroy the stock price. IMO it's more risky to keep crypto at private exchanges.

Interesting....I don't fully understand all the intricacies of how bitcoin is stored.

Suppose these guys did make off with 3.6B of bitcoin. How convertible is that to live off the grid and hide? 3.6B in cash i could disappear with new identity. But how do you get 3.6B in digital currency to liquid form without alerting authorities? Is there such thing as digital currency laundering? I'm truly curious.

#2676 2 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Interesting....I don't fully understand all the intricacies of how bitcoin is stored.
Suppose these guys did make off with 3.6B of bitcoin. How convertible is that to live off the grid and hide? 3.6B in cash i could disappear with new identity. But how do you get 3.6B in digital currency to liquid form without alerting authorities? Is there such thing as digital currency laundering? I'm truly curious.

You want to look into what is called a cryptocurrency mixer service or cryptocurrency tumbler.

Another option would be to use an off ramp that doesn't follow the KYC / AML laws.

#2677 2 years ago

Me and my dumb idea to buy more yesterday hopping we were on an upswing appears to have backfired.

#2678 2 years ago

Me and my dumb idea to buy more yesterday hopping we were on an upswing appears to have backfired.

Woke up to find everything down. Except my shitcoin. It's up 12%

#2679 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I converted it to BTC

#2680 2 years ago

You want to look into what is called a cryptocurrency mixer service or cryptocurrency tumbler.
Another option would be to use an off ramp that doesn't follow the KYC / AML laws.

This would be extremely difficult to do with 3.6b. There is a good chance these guys get caught.

#2681 2 years ago

Things are going to remain extremely volatile until all the China shit gets ironed out. That's a lot of hash rate being moved. Plus, I'm assuming all of the exchanges in China are going to have to move or dump as well.

This will be good for BTC overall (in the near future) and bad for China.

#2682 2 years ago

question: when wallets are removed (or lost) - how do they equate that to total valuation? Do they just assume it's offline and never adjust? Or rather, is the number always constant unless proven that certain hashes are gone for good? Is there a way to mark those?

Or mathematically

Say 100 BTC total ever
-50 taken offline (hard wallet)
But those are never brought back (lost/pw gone/etc)
Is it assumed only 50 still exist or still 100 and does that effect perceived valuation?

#2683 2 years ago

Lost btc is a donation to everyone else.

‘Lost btc’ can only effect if becoming active again. Satoshi has a wallet with one million btc but it hasn’t moved any in 10 years or ever. Those are considered lost but if even a the tiniest fraction moved from that wallet it would prove that someone had access to them and the overall price would drop significantly.

Regarding hardware verse exchanges makes no difference. The Bitcoin doesn’t move to the hardware wallet only the keys.

Not your keys, not your cheese.

#2684 2 years ago

Lots of shorts being put up on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Cardano today, and likely others too. I'm thinking this might result in a bit of a rocky weekend, though most weekends have seen a bit of a drop lately anyway.

#2685 2 years ago

Hey everyone - Not sure who here are holders of Cardano, but if you are and you are interesting in supporting a fellow Pinsider's stake pool, then I would love it if you checked my pool (TYGAR) out.. Last month I posted briefly here about a push to increase my pools ROA, and I am very excited to report that the past 30 day ROA of Tygar is close to 6% now: https://adapools.org/pool/f8e64037e3917cd7cb94969a5374e11b9e6c939b4b69118a8eb4509f and our last epoch produced an outstanding 9.8% return.

Additionally, to help recruit new delegates, we were launched a loyalty program in April and officially became the first pool to reward our delegates TWICE every five days. We're now doing a second issuance of loyalty tokens for anyone who stakes over 5K with us. Check out the full details, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CardanoStakePools/comments/o1xnon/tygar_pool_loyalty_token_second_issuance_come_get/

That's all I'll say for now, but happy to answer any questions and really appreciate your consideration!

#2686 2 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Hey everyone - Not sure who here are holders of Cardano, but if you are and you are interesting in supporting a fellow Pinsider's stake pool, then I would love it if you checked my pool (TYGAR) out.. Last month I posted briefly here about a push to increase my pools ROA, and I am very excited to report that the past 30 day ROA of Tygar is close to 6% now: https://adapools.org/pool/f8e64037e3917cd7cb94969a5374e11b9e6c939b4b69118a8eb4509f and our last epoch produced an outstanding 9.8% return.
Additionally, to help recruit new delegates, we were launched a loyalty program in April and officially became the first pool to reward our delegates TWICE every five days. We're now doing a second issuance of loyalty tokens for anyone who stakes over 5K with us. Check out the full details, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CardanoStakePools/comments/o1xnon/tygar_pool_loyalty_token_second_issuance_come_get/
That's all I'll say for now, but happy to answer any questions and really appreciate your consideration!

Isn’t staking in general kind of pointless in an asset that moves 10% a day? We all know that most crypto’s are going to zero eventually, it just seems pointless even worry about staking because if you bet on the right crypto, you’re going to make out like a bandit even without staking, and if you don’t then you’re going to zero anyways.

It’s like investing in GameStop because they all of a sudden offered a 6% dividend, the dividend is pointless because you’re either going to be very rich or very poor long before that dividend amounts to anything.

Staking seems like it would only be worth it once the asset has stopped the high volatility.

#2687 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

We all know that most crypto’s are going to zero eventually,

We do? Well damn, I missed that memo.

Quoted from taylor34:

It’s like investing in GameStop because they all of a sudden offered a 6% dividend, the dividend is pointless because you’re either going to be very rich or very poor long before that dividend amounts to anything.
Staking seems like it would only be worth it once the asset has stopped the high volatility.

If you believe that GME is going to continue to rise in the future and don't want to play the swings, why not earn 6%? That's like saying that you don't want any interest on your savings account.

I might not stake if I was day trading everyday, but even for casual traders you can stake and un-stake in a matter of seconds. I'll take 6% on something I'm planning to hold all day long. Especially when I can un-stake with a click of a button if I suddenly decide to unload.

#2688 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Isn’t staking in general kind of pointless in an asset that moves 10% a day? We all know that most crypto’s are going to zero eventually, it just seems pointless...

I love it when people say "we all know" when they are only speaking for themselves and their opinion is totally nuts.

#2689 2 years ago

There are like 1000 crypto’s...how could most of them not eventually go to zero? I’m surprised I’m getting pushback on that. In every new industry there are 1000s of players that eventually reduce to very few. Look at the auto industry that went from 1900 to 3 in the US. First wave of internet companies too. First wave of solar companies. Etc...

It’s just like the gold rushes of the past, most of the miners just ended up broke.

It’s not a know it all thing, seriously, it’s just realistic. I mean even in the biggest market caps everyone thinks dogecoin is going to zero eventually.

Quoted from nwpinball:

I love it when people say "we all know" when they are only speaking for themselves and their opinion is totally nuts.

#2690 2 years ago

Because you’re implying that Cardano is a bottom of the barrel crypto rather than #4 largest.

#2691 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

There are like 1000 crypto’s...how could most of them not eventually go to zero?

I don't think too many people would argue against this blanket statement. Most crypto's are not going to make it... probably over 90% will fail.

#2692 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Because you’re implying that Cardano is a bottom of the barrel crypto rather than #4 largest.

I never implied Cardano was bottom of the barrel. I just said that staking (regardless of what crypto it is) is rather pointless currently due to volatility. Mining on the other hand, isn't pointless, and doing your own stake pool isn't pointless, as both of those can generate a very steady stream of income per money invested.

Just look at it from a math point of view. Cardano was 8 cents a year ago, and is $1.26 now.

If you put 1k in Cardano a year ago, you now have about $16k. Your staking part of that is another $960 on top of that at most. However, if you just would have sold your Cardano instead of continuing to stake in the past 2 months, you could have 50% more. Even today, Cardano is down what an entire years of staking would bring in (6.14%).

I just think it's not even worth thinking about when the price moves enough to equal or erase an entire year of staking per day.

#2693 2 years ago

I follow your logic, but there’s a few parts I dont really agree with.
First, how can legit free crypto ever not be worth it. Especially when it’s is extremely easy to put in or pull from a staking pool (10 minutes) and rewards are paid out every 5 days.
Second, your example uses the basis that people can time the market perfectly and sell at the top and buy at the bottom. If you’re lucky enough to time things just right, then yeah, it makes sense to pull from staking, sell, and then buy back in and stake again. No one would argue that. But that example has a lot of hindsight factored in.
Third, your idea of having a years worth of staking rewards whipped out in a single day is extreme. Can it happen? Yes. Does it happen everyday? Not even close. This notion also dismisses the benefits of staking as the value increases.
Basically it boils down to this. If you own crypto. And that crypto can earn you more free crypto everyday, and it costs nothing and there’s no restrictions or effects on your existing crypto, how can that be a bad thing or not worth it? Especially if you plan on holding for a while.
Also the idea that mining is worthwhile but staking isn’t is a bit comical. Staking is basically mining that doesn’t cost you on your electrical bill.
The only way that I can see staking not being worth it is if you plan on swing trading your Ada every couple days, and you only have a couple hundred. If you’re at all long term hold, then staking any amount makes sense. This idea is backed up by 75%ish of the Ada in circulation currently being staked.

#2694 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I don't think too many people would argue against this blanket statement. Most crypto's are not going to make it... probably over 90% will fail.

we need a timeline for that prediction though. Life has a 100% fatality rate, after all

#2695 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

we need a timeline for that prediction though. Life has a 100% fatality rate, after all

10 years tops.

There could likely still be 1000 different crypto's in 10 years...just not 90% of the ones that exists today.

#2696 2 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I follow your logic, but there’s a few parts I dont really agree with.
First, how can free crypto ever not be worth it. Especially when it’s is extremely easy to put in or pull from a staking pool (10 minutes) and rewards are paid out every 5 days.
Second, your example uses the basis that people can time the market perfectly and sell at the top and buy at the bottom. If you’re lucky enough to time things just right, then yeah, it makes sense to pull from staking, sell, and then buy back in and stake again. No one would argue that. But that example has a lot of hindsight factored in.
Third, your idea of having a years worth of staking rewards whipped out in a single day is extreme. Can it happen? Yes. Does it happen everyday? Not even close. This notion also dismisses the benefits of staking as the value increases.
Basically it boils down to this. If you own crypto. And that crypto can earn you more free crypto everyday, and it costs nothing and there’s no restrictions or effects on your existing crypto, how can that be a bad thing or not worth it? Especially if you plan on holding for a while.
Also the idea that mining is worthwhile but staking isn’t is a bit comical. Staking is basically mining that doesn’t cost you on your electrical bill.
The only way that I can’t see staking not being worth it is if you plan on swing trading your Ada every couple days, and you only have a couple hundred. If you’re at all long term hold, then staking any amount makes sense. This idea is backed up by 75%ish of the Ada in circulation currently being staked.

Well, let's just say I start with $1000 to invest for a year.

Option A is buying my favorite crypto, stake it, and just hope that it goes up over time.
Option B is buying a top of the line video card, mine and sell the proceeds.

If crypto doubles in price, both options are about the same. One has 2060 to 2120 worth of crypto, the other has the video card and around $1200.
If crypto stays the same, option B wins easily.
If crypto goes down, option b win easily
If crypto goes up by 300% or more, then option A wins easily (in between 200% and 300% the increased profits from mining would probably even it out).

Option B is an investment, option A is speculation because there are no fundamentals for the value. Similar to the housing market, you can buy a house in Cali and hope that appreciation continues like it has, or your can get a rental house that makes money every month regardless of what the market does. Option A will make you wealthier for sure over time if you pick correctly but you can just as easily go broke if the market turns south, but option B is playing the odds over time to earn income. Doing a 3rd option where you don't actually sell all the mining proceeds is probably the best 'blended' approached.

#2697 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Well, let's just say I start with $1000 to invest for a year.
Option A is buying my favorite crypto, stake it, and just hope that it goes up over time.
Option B is buying a top of the line video card, mine and sell the proceeds.
If crypto doubles in price, both options are about the same. One has 2060 to 2120 worth of crypto, the other has the video card and around $1200.
If crypto stays the same, option B wins easily.
If crypto goes down, option b win easily
If crypto goes up by 300% or more, then option A wins easily (in between 200% and 300% the increased profits from mining would probably even it out).
Option B is an investment, option A is speculation because there are no fundamentals for the value. Similar to the housing market, you can buy a house in Cali and hope that appreciation continues like it has, or your can get a rental house that makes money every month regardless of what the market does. Option A will make you wealthier for sure over time if you pick correctly but you can just as easily go broke if the market turns south, but option B is playing the odds over time to earn income. Doing a 3rd option where you don't actually sell all the mining proceeds is probably the best 'blended' approached.

I just want to say that I enjoyed reading that, and getting a different perspective on things. It’s always fun to see things from different angles, even if different than our own.
I won’t dive too deep with my response, as it’s late and I’m tired. Two things that stood out to me though was how you arrived at your mining value. You have the mining rig costing $1000, and a full year of use and time later, it still being worth $1000. I know right now parts are hard to find which has increased their value, but are people really paying new prices for rigs that have run for a full year? With newer tech out as that years passed? Maybe they are, it’s a genuine question. The other thing I wasn’t sure of is are people making $100 profit a month on crypto once electrical fees are deducted? Again a genuine question as I’ve never mined.
I feel like there’s a lot of X factors that can change the scenario.
Also, I feel you took the discussion as ‘is staking worth it compared to options like mining’, where as I read your earliest comment as ‘is staking worth the time, compared to not staking at all’. So that might also be why we’re approaching things from different viewpoints.

#2698 2 years ago

You do realize that staking and mining are the same but different things right?

Proof of work versus proof of stake. And that no same system offers both so you have to pick Crypto A versus B. By its own merit A or B could win regardless of the type of proof.
Mining also has added costs of electricity as well as heat and noise. Your equipment could also become obsolete. If you follow the halving cycles there are times when ppl shut off the miners because it isn’t profitable (depending on the scale of business and the difficulty to mine).
Definitely pros and cons and a gamble either way.

#2699 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

You do realize that staking and mining are the same but different things right?

Not sure if that was meant for me or Taylor, but yep I knew that. Though I’m trying to articulate my point as I’m half asleep, so maybe it came across poorly lol.

#2700 2 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Lots of shorts being put up on Bitcoin, Ethereum and Cardano today, and likely others too. I'm thinking this might result in a bit of a rocky weekend, though most weekends have seen a bit of a drop lately anyway.

I just wanted to bump this, as I feel it will have a big effect this weekend and I’m curious to hear other people’s thoughts. Longs have increased as well, but shorts on Bitcoin are up 1100%, and cardano is facing a crazy increase in shorts as well.

There are 8,272 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi/page/54 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.