(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,646 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 minutes ago by Spyderturbo007
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8256F104-4DB2-4615-9E6F-FCE72E129F5A (resized).jpeg
2B23351F-0AA9-4244-90ED-5086D9A468E3 (resized).png
20351649-7CBB-4D7B-8412-2BD07D48B475 (resized).png
78F378E0-BF5C-4BB1-B399-79F3F901BA6E.jpeg
12440670-3717-44C7-BB26-01D2C9FCBAC6.jpeg
8C1A2263-DBD9-4736-B9AD-0C7B257BF481 (resized).png
29AB5EED-BAED-4F7B-AD14-03A36224D0B9 (resized).png
AAAE19F0-CB41-45CE-AD35-B22AE2DAE51F.gif
Chart-Patterns (resized).jpg
5F9BA2B9-10B4-43BD-B23A-75D9B78C0E2E.gif
snx (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
7283DFBD-47F6-420D-B4C1-26CCECFE3C4E (resized).png
71633842-D59D-47F3-8859-CA573ED9B4E2 (resized).png
20210508_162615 (resized).jpg
20210508_162612 (resized).jpg

There are 1646 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 33.
#1302 11 days ago
Quoted from Avi8er:

What wallets do you all recommend?

Hardware? Trezor or Ledger. I have a Ledger...easy to use.

#1303 11 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Hardware? Trezor or Ledger. I have a Ledger...easy to use.

I have a Trezor. The thought of deleting a currency from the Ledger led to it sitting in the package in my desk.

#1304 11 days ago

Anyone ever do a stop loss on Coinbase Pro? I want to make sure I get this right.

I'm assuming that this is what these things mean;

Stop Price - The price at which I want the trade to execute. For example, ETH is at $3,171 and I want to sell if the price drops to $3,075 then the Stop price would be $3,075.

Amount - This would obviously be the amount of ETH I want to sell at that stop price.

Limit Price - What goes here? Is this the lowest price at which I will sell with the slippage? So, something like $3,050? Meaning the trade will only execute when the price hits $3,075 but not below $3,050?

I've read about slippage a little and I think the Limit Price has something to do with that, but I'm not finding a clear answer.
Capture (resized).JPG

#1305 11 days ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I'm using minerstat as a frontend, but I'm using phoenixminer as the actual miner program

OK. was looking at nice hash. If I do this can I still just use my online exchange of choice to store it?

#1306 11 days ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

OK. was looking at nice hash. If I do this can I still just use my online exchange of choice to store it?

I would NOT mine directly into an exchange wallet for a few reasons.

1. Some exchanges require minimum deposits and mining revenue can be very small transactions depending on the pool's minimum payout.
2. It's always possible that your account will be suspended along with your deposit address. Exchanges can also remove coins and suspend deposits for anything from fraud to maintenance.
3. Deposit addresses can expire. I know this happens with Binance if I remember correctly. The deposit address is pretty much a single use deposit after which the deposit is moved to a storage address. Go for a second deposit and the address may have expired.

I was mining ETH to Geth and RVN to the official RVN wallet. I was then sending my ETH where I wanted once there was a sufficient amount to send based on current transaction fees. I haven't done anything with RVN so it's just sitting there for now.

#1307 11 days ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I would NOT mine directly into an exchange wallet for a few reasons.
1. Some exchanges require minimum deposits and mining revenue can be very small transactions depending on the pool's minimum payout.
2. It's always possible that your account will be suspended along with your deposit address. Exchanges can also remove coins and suspend deposits for anything from fraud to maintenance.
3. Deposit addresses can expire. I know this happens with Binance if I remember correctly. The deposit address is pretty much a single use deposit after which the deposit is moved to a storage address. Go for a second deposit and the address may have expired.
I was mining ETH to Geth and RVN to the official RVN wallet. I was then sending my ETH where I wanted once there was a sufficient amount to send based on current transaction fees. I haven't done anything with RVN so it's just sitting there for now.

I wasnt thinking about doing it directly. I was thinking more about transfering it like once/month?

#1308 11 days ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I wasnt thinking about doing it directly. I was thinking more about transfering it like once/month?

Then yes, you can definitely do that with mining revenue. You can send it to any valid address of the currency you're mining. You just have to be careful not to send it to the wrong address. Such as sending BTC to a BCH address.

If you want something in a hot wallet to sell or trade, then an exchange is a great place for it to sit. If you're looking for long term storage, I'd recommend a hardware wallet like a Ledger or Trezor.

#1309 11 days ago

Then yes, you can definitely do that with mining revenue. You can send it to any valid address of the currency you're mining. You just have to be careful not to send it to the wrong address. Such as sending BTC to a BCH address.
If you want something in a hot wallet to sell or trade, then an exchange is a great place for it to sit. If you're looking for long term storage, I'd recommend a hardware wallet like a Ledger or Trezor.

I just downloaded and started nicehash. My god my the fans on my GPU going crazy heh. Dunno if I can do this while im in this room(which is most of the day). Core clock stays cool. Vram is crazy stays at around 98 degrees

#1310 11 days ago

Holy shit Batman. ETH just plowed right through the $3,200 sell wall like it didn't even exist.

#1311 11 days ago

So you guys really only HODL and never sell to buy more?

I mean ETH is crazy high atm; selling now can most probably get you some more very soon.

#1312 11 days ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I mean ETH is crazy high atm; selling now can most probably get you some more very soon.

ETH isn't going back down significantly ever, this is still buying it cheap. I'm still buying.

#1313 10 days ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I've been HODLing since 2017. I'm planning on selling 25-30% of my long term holdings as soon as things run back up to where I want them to be. Then I'll liquidate those holdings and sit on the rest. Anything short term which is most of my alts I'm not touching right now. That will get me my initial investment back and some profit that I can go blow on something totally irresponsible.

I'm not selling all of any one coin, just a percentage of stuff that only triggers long term gains. If things go to the moon, great, I'm still putting money in my pocket (just not as much). If it crashes or gets banned at least I got out what I put in and then some.

Then the rest just stays there until......Well, until who knows when.

Here is my main thought regarding this entire situation. This is a new asset class just like precious metals, property, stock, etc. Wealth creation like this will never happen again as long as I'm alive and I feel like this is the ground floor. I'm only liquidating some of my stuff because there is that looming black cloud of pure chaos and destruction called the government that has yet to get out their beat down stick.

#1314 10 days ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Trying to time this market can be tricky. You have to pay capitol gains everytime you sell at a profit (on the profit)...so why bother? Yes you can make some nice gains (if you're right), or you can trap yourself if you're wrong. I just HODL and "buy the dips" & that has worked out pretty well.

#1315 10 days ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I just downloaded and started nicehash. My god my the fans on my GPU going crazy heh. Dunno if I can do this while im in this room(which is most of the day). Core clock stays cool. Vram is crazy stays at around 98 degrees

Somethings wrong here.

You need to pull your GPU out and spray it with air and maybe clean the inside of your tower. I have 4 running in a room and you can still hear a pin drop and I’m running a lot cooler:

FE35AC64-40C7-45DE-9891-2BF42E2AA6B9 (resized).png
#1316 10 days ago
Quoted from EJS:

Somethings wrong here.
You need to pull your GPU out and spray it with air and maybe clean the inside of your tower. I have 4 running in a room and you can still hear a pin drop and I’m running a lot cooler:[quoted image]

My core temp is fine, super low. Its the vram thats hot. I set nicehash to "lite" and that auto set fans to 100% and got vram to 98-100. My card runs super cool during gaming and I havent even done custom fan curves with msi afterburner yet. Do you have afterburner running to set a fan profile for mining?

#1317 10 days ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

My core temp is fine, super low. Its the vram thats hot. I set nicehash to "lite" and that auto set fans to 100% and got vram to 98-100. My card runs super cool during gaming and I havent even done custom fan curves with msi afterburner yet. Do you have afterburner running to set a fan profile for mining?

Fans are about 30% on the GPU.

#1318 10 days ago

Anyone ever do a stop loss on Coinbase Pro? I want to make sure I get this right.
I'm assuming that this is what these things mean;
Stop Price - The price at which I want the trade to execute. For example, ETH is at $3,171 and I want to sell if the price drops to $3,075 then the Stop price would be $3,075.
Amount - This would obviously be the amount of ETH I want to sell at that stop price.
Limit Price - What goes here? Is this the lowest price at which I will sell with the slippage? So, something like $3,050? Meaning the trade will only execute when the price hits $3,075 but not below $3,050?
I've read about slippage a little and I think the Limit Price has something to do with that, but I'm not finding a clear answer.
[quoted image]

I'm quoting myself on this one because I think I figured it out in case anyone else wants to know. The Stop price is the price at which I want to trigger the creation of a limit order. The Limit Price is the price at which that limit order is created.

So for example, a stop price of $3,075 and a Limit Price of $3,050 means that as soon as the price of ETH would drop to $3,075 the system would generate an order to sell my ETH at $3,050. That's to prevent the market price from flying right past my stop price before the order is created and executed.

You want to make sure you specify that price because if you don't, the system will generate a limit order at market price. So if there is some flash crash and the only order on the order book is $10 then you just sold your ETH for $10.

#1319 10 days ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Voyager finally approved

I just saw the referral deposit!

Ty sir!

#1320 10 days ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

ETH isn't going back down significantly ever, this is still buying it cheap. I'm still buying.

That's always the dilemma... buying after a 35% run in 7 days is definitely closer to FOMO than buying the dip

#1321 10 days ago

Can Ethereum prices hit $5,000 in a week? That’s what one crypto expert speculates as Ether mints records...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/can-ethereum-prices-hit-5-000-in-a-week-thats-what-one-crypto-expert-speculates-as-ether-mints-records-11620063086

#1322 10 days ago

Still gonna wait for the diiiip

#1323 10 days ago

I have to be the worst trader in the history of the planet. I was trying to sell some ETH and figured I'd do a trailing stop loss so I could let it run until it wanted to correct. ETH was up at ~$3,450 so I moved my stop loss up to $3,275. I checked and not since the 27th, had ETH pulled back more than $75 before returning to its uptrend.

My assumption was that unless it was in for a decent sized correction, I was in good shape. Anyone care to guess how that worked out? About 30 minutes later it decided to drop about 3x that amount, trigger my stop loss and sell my ETH. Then it goes right back up again.

Oh and to add to my pain a little more DOGE is up 10%.

#1324 10 days ago

Most people won't do auto stop losses because of temp market fluctuations like that.

#1325 10 days ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Most people won't do auto stop losses because of temp market fluctuations like that.

Yeah, but if there was a 25% correction overnight while I was asleep, I would have been a genius.

#1326 10 days ago

DOGE sure is on a ride.

Stupid me sold yesterday ofcourse

#1327 10 days ago

kudos to everyone who's riding the doge train. I just never could see the value in it, but I'm wishing now that I YOLO'd some money into it when I first got started. I don't think it will last long term, but in the short term, some people are going to make some nice profit.

#1328 10 days ago

I should add that I'm happily still holding and staking ADA. It's been consolidating for a few weeks now, so I think its lost some appeal to the more swing trading type. I plan to hold for at least 4 years though, so I'm fine with whatever it does (or doesn't do) in the short term. I do think in August when smart contracts are fully up and running and the erc20 converter is fully going, then Cardano will see a nice jump again in value, hype and useage.

#1329 10 days ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

kudos to everyone who's riding the doge train. I just never could see the value in it, but I'm wishing now that I YOLO'd some money into it when I first got started. I don't think it will last long term, but in the short term, some people are going to make some nice profit.

You can still get some and see what happens. I think it will be back to 0.30 or lower shortly.

#1330 10 days ago

I sold 75% of my doge at 40c (cdn) the remaining 25% is doing great, but I was sure that it was going to drop within days and had planned to re-buy in a dip. The dip never came. It just kept climbing. IMHO I could see it reach a $1, but I thought that would take years. If this keeps up it could be there in days.

#1331 10 days ago
Quoted from pninja005:

You can still get some and see what happens. I think it will be back to 0.30 or lower shortly.

My plan is to buy at 30c, hope it gets there too

#1332 10 days ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I think the folks who are buying now will be the ones left holding the bag when it drops. Though I've thought that its entire rise, so apparently I know very little lol.
If I had to make a guess, I'm betting the people pumping/hyping it will take big profits right before or after Elon Musk's SNL appearance, when doge fever will be really high. Or maybe it lasts longer than that as the bull run continues. I can't see it holding these price heights long term though, there's just too many new coins minted at too fast a rate.

#1333 10 days ago

Sold my doge at .40 as well, was planning to buy a dip...

#1334 10 days ago

I'm not sure what is going to happen with DOGE in the short term. I read that it was just added by eToro and Gemini just opened deposits a few hours ago. If you keep adding exchanges and increasing the availability, no telling what might happen in the short term.

Either way, my $44.82 is now worth $65.71 so I'm on my way to a case of Stella.

I'm wondering if I should cancel my sell order for $0.69?

#1335 10 days ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

but I'm wishing now that I YOLO'd some money into it when I first got started.

Really? I don't. It could run all the way to $5 and I still wouldn't touch it (nor wish I had). You are as likely to be the bag holder as you are too get rich. I won't play in a pump and dump scheme. Yes doge could keep doing this for many years... I'll watch from the sidelines and invest in real projects.

#1336 10 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Really? I don't. It could run all the way to $5 and I still wouldn't touch it (nor wish I had). You are as likely to be the bag holder as you are too get rich. I won't play in a pump and dump scheme. Yes doge could keep doing this for many years... I'll watch from the sidelines and invest in real projects.

I was a few beers deep a week ago and dropped $100 on it, currently at $255 lol.

#1337 10 days ago

With the exception of bitcoin, which was actually used as currency for 99% illegal activity, every one of these cryptos is a pyramid scheme / pump and dump / whatever else you're saying about dogecoin if buy / sell is it's only purpose.

#1338 10 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

With the exception of bitcoin, which was actually used as currency for 99% illegal activity, every one of these cryptos is a pyramid scheme / pump and dump / whatever else you're saying about dogecoin if buy / sell is it's only purpose.

99% illegal activity? And you pulled that number out of what orifice?

Please enlighten us as to how this is a pyramid scheme. Are you saying that because you don't understand it, or perhaps you're sad you didn't get in earlier? I'll wait right here for your explanation.

#1339 10 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

lol...yeah, I'm just going to stop right there... lol.

#1340 10 days ago

I'm still learning about crypto, but the capabilities and functions of some of these blockchains, both currently and what they hope to achieve in the future, is really amazing. I think blockchains will play a massive role in the future, in so many ways that we don't even realize yet.

#1341 10 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Cash is used for illegal activity. Does using it for illegal trade activity legitimize or delegitimize this paper (with no tangible physical value) as a currency?

#1342 9 days ago

On a happier note, my largest holding is LINK. Someone lit a fire under it in the last 2 hours. I'm considering taking my 25% out now. All time high, up 10% in the last 24 hours. Then again, don't they say that once you punch through the ATH you're now in price discovery mode? There was a $1 million sell wall at $46.50 that took a few tries to get through, but she punched through.

The Addams family call out is stuck in my head saying Greed!!! Then again, I'm also reminded of that old saying that "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".

I hate these decisions.

#1343 9 days ago

On a happier note, my largest holding is LINK. Someone lit a fire under it in the last 2 hours. I'm considering taking my 25% out now. All time high, up 10% in the last 24 hours. Then again, don't they say that once you punch through the ATH you're now in price discovery mode? There was a $1 million sell wall at $46.50 that took a few tries to get through, but she punched through.
The Addams family call out is stuck in my head saying Greed!!! Then again, I'm also reminded of that old saying that "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".
I hate these decisions.

I've never taken any profits. Not because of greed, but because I see a real future for Crypto. If I think the future is bright then why would I take profits now? Plus, if you take profits then where do you put that money? Stocks? Cash (lol)? If you have something you really want to buy...go for it, but otherwise let it run.

#1344 9 days ago

So what's the utility of bitcoin and all these cryptos? Any of you guys actually spending any of them or otherwise using them as currency, or just buying them and hoping they appreciate so you can sell them?

#1345 9 days ago

For those of you that have Phoenixmixer or any other mining software on your gaming PC, aren't you worried about security?

I mean if you login to an exchange or wallet... or anything else.

#1346 9 days ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've never taken any profits. Not because of greed, but because I see a real future for Crypto. If I think the future is bright then why would I take profits now? Plus, if you take profits then where do you put that money? Stocks? Cash (lol)? If you have something you really want to buy...go for it, but otherwise let it run.

I see a future for it as well, which is why I'm holding onto 75% of my long term holdings and 100% of my current short term holdings. It's also why I bought it 4 years ago. However, I'm going to do something completely irresponsible with some of my profits.

I decided to take profits a few weeks ago when I was sitting around with a few friends (mostly stock guys) having a few beers. We were talking about our portfolios and saying "what are we waiting for?". Is it retirement? Maybe a certain dollar amount? A certain percentage gain?

It kind of dawned on me and I thought why am I working my ass off everyday to save every possible penny for retirement when I'm not sure if I'm going to be around next week. This was money I threw at the wall years ago that just happened to stick. I'm going to take some and do something completely irresponsible with it.......just because.

I understand the entire hold and let it run if you believe in it, but I'm not going to be around forever so I'm going to have a little fun now. The rest I'll hold for a rainy day.

#1347 9 days ago
Quoted from pninja005:

For those of you that have Phoenixmixer or any other mining software on your gaming PC, aren't you worried about security?
I mean if you login to an exchange or wallet... or anything else.

I never use my mining PC to access an exchange. I use a different computer at my house or my work computer, both of which I know are clean.

I wrote a decent pile of tips a few pages back. I would HIGHLY recommend a 2FA hardware key. I use Yubikeys.

https://www.yubico.com/

#1348 9 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

So what's the utility of bitcoin and all these cryptos? Any of you guys actually spending any of them or otherwise using them as currency, or just buying them and hoping they appreciate so you can sell them?

I'll throw out two terms for you and you can do your own reading. Come back with any questions and I'll be more than happy to help.

1. Decentralized Finance (DeFi)
2. Smart Contracts

#1349 9 days ago

Two neato terms, yeah yeah fuck the state rise up and all that. So are you using them as currency anywhere, or just converting your currency in the hopes they appreciate and then trading them back for your local currency some day like everybody else? I'm just trying to understand the rationale where many of you say bitcoin / eth is the only way and everything else is a pyramid scheme.

#1350 9 days ago

I'm not wasting my time with you anymore. Go ahead and think what you want and get left in the dust. You're obviously here to troll and I don't have time to feed trolls.

Oh and neither of those terms have anything to do with "fuck the state".

There are 1646 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside