(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,233 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png
btc (resized).jpg
IMG_7715 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240301-124124 (resized).png
20240229_085145 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,233 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 165.
#1101 2 years ago
Quoted from vglohaus:

Is there any downfall to having accounts open on multiple exchanges?

Not really other than losing track of them

#1102 2 years ago

What the hell is going on?!?!?

This is an insane crash. WTF?!?!?!?

#1103 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Ok I guess I'll just throw out all this [every currency in circulation]

That would be a good start. Storing any significant value in any fiat is a horrible investment.

#1104 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

It's because I bought more BTC at $60,800.

#1105 2 years ago

Things going back to the way they were a few weeks ago isn’t a crash. Things go up and down in the short term. Don’t think emotionally.

#1106 2 years ago

Buying opportunity

#1107 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Things going back to the way they were a few weeks ago isn’t a crash. Things go up and down in the short term. Don’t think emotionally.

23% in under 45 minutes is emotional. Well, it is to me.

#1108 2 years ago

23% in under 45 minutes is emotional. Well, it is to me.

Maybe I overlooked....was it a specific coin? I’m easily confused with the ever changing coins in discussion here. I spot checked a few and didn’t see any 23% drops.

#1109 2 years ago

“While the exact reason for the sudden crash is unknown, the market mood may have soured due to rumors that the U.S. Treasury is planning to charge several financial institutions for money laundering using cryptocurrencies. CoinDesk has been unable to independently verify any pending government action.”

#1110 2 years ago

I bought more Ada at 1.16. Let’s see where this goes. A Saturday night dip across several coins makes me think it should recover a bit at least by Monday.

#1111 2 years ago

Late to the party, but opened my first Crypto account (local Australian one - Swiftx) today with a whopping.........$201. Woohoo.

Figure if I spend half as much time following Crypto as I do pinball I’ll be at least be very well versed in Crypto.

Starting with some play money until I learn some more. Seemed like I also bought during a bit of a dip as luck would have it. Strapping in for the ride!

#1112 2 years ago

How can I buy Safemoon coin? I live in Texas and I’m not allowed to purchase BNB so I can use it to buy Safemoon. I have tried everything! Got the trust wallet account too. I heard about buying ETH in Trust Wallet and then converting it to BNB in coinswitch? So confused. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

#1113 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Late to the party, but opened my first Crypto account (local Australian one - Swiftx) today with a whopping.........$201. Woohoo.
Figure if I spend half as much time following Crypto as I do pinball I’ll be at least be very well versed in Crypto.
Starting with some play money until I learn some more. Seemed like I also bought during a bit of a dip as luck would have it. Strapping in for the ride!

Perfect timing mate
Get into swyfty is struggling today, getting smashed
Im playing
BTC
ETH
DOT
KSM
CHAIN

Disclaimer
Not financial advice
DyoR

#1114 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Perfect timing mate
Get into swyfty is struggling today, getting smashed
Im playing
BTC
ETH
DOT
KSM
CHAIN
Disclaimer
Not financial advice
DyoR

Yeh, saw that bank deposits were delayed on Swiftx.

Bought BTC, ETH and DOGE. Holding on BTC and ETH, up 10% on DOGE depending on when I check the price lol. Plenty of volatility. If I had more on the line I’d buy and sell quickly, but for $20 gain on my $200 investment it’s not worth it at the moment.

#1115 2 years ago

This looks like a good explanation of what happened. Checking Tethers volume and price during the crash seems to confirm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/mt5odv/explanation_the_recent_crash_was_probably_due_to/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

#1116 2 years ago

I'm just pissed because I had my 25% sitting there on an off ramp ready to sell. I talking with some buddies about what I planned to buy with my initial investment and some of my profit. I was waiting for another 2% or so until I had enough (not wanting to dip in my holdings anymore than the 25%). I look down at my phone and I'm down 4%, then 7%, then 10% then 15%. As fast as I could refresh I was down further and further.

The pleasant thoughts of the past were filled with sadness. It's a good thing I had a lot of beer laying around.

#1117 2 years ago

I'm just pissed because I had my 25% sitting there on an off ramp ready to sell. I talking with some buddies about what I planned to buy with my initial investment and some of my profit. I was waiting for another 2% or so until I had enough (not wanting to dip in my holdings anymore than the 25%). I look down at my phone and I'm down 4%, then 7%, then 10% then 15%. As fast as I could refresh I was down further and further.
The pleasant thoughts of the past were filled with sadness. It's a good thing I had a lot of beer laying around.

After I saw the huge drop, I bought some Ada and then went to Twitter and pinside to see if anyone had posted an explanation as to what was happening.
I had remembered you talking about transferring some to an exchange in preparation to take some profit, so I went back a page on this thread to reread your post, with fingers crossed that you had. Sorry to hear it didn’t quite happen. But with how fast it dropped, and how it’s already recovered a bit, it’s always possible we’ll see a decent recovery this week for you to then pull a bit out.

#1118 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

This looks like a good explanation of what happened. Checking Tethers volume and price during the crash seems to confirm.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/mt5odv/explanation_the_recent_crash_was_probably_due_to/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Thanks for sharing. I had read a few reasons for the sudden drop, but this one seems the most logical/supported.

#1119 2 years ago

Government trying to reach their hands in our pockets. Why not? (Sarcastically)

This is why I’m holding in cold storage they don’t need to know (or prove) what I have.

#1120 2 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

so I went back a page on this thread to reread your post, with fingers crossed that you had. Sorry to hear it didn’t quite happen.

Thanks! I appreciate it. We’ll see what the next few weeks bring. I have all my numbers ready go and most of what I need transferred to Coinbase Pro ready to sell. I just need the market to cooperate.

I was considering putting in some sell orders at the prices I need, but I’m not sure if I want to watch it in case of a break out with one of them.

It’s not money I need so I’m not really in a hurry. It just puts a damper on my timeline.

#1121 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

When did you open your account?

Feb I think maybe early march

#1122 2 years ago

So now that the price fell, what is the easiest way to buy? I’m guessing I need a digital wallet (I currently have Wax but not sure I can use that) Also how do you dump the wallet to cash when you want to bounce?

#1123 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So now that the price fell, what is the easiest way to buy? I’m guessing I need a digital wallet (I currently have Wax but not sure I can use that) Also how do you dump the wallet to cash when you want to bounce?

Don't take my answer too much into account since I'm mostly cold storage. But, places like BlockFi can easily tether your bank accounts to transfer money. Be prepared to provide your social and take a selfie on your phone. I did this but I just don't hold any funds with them.

#1124 2 years ago

Days like today is when you ADD to your portfolio

#1125 2 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

Days like today is when you ADD to your portfolio

Exactly!

#1126 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Don't take my answer too much into account since I'm mostly cold storage. But, places like BlockFi can easily tether your bank accounts to transfer money. Be prepared to provide your social and take a selfie on your phone. I did this but I just don't hold any funds with them.

Thanks for the info. Is there a link or key post for “crypto for dummies” starter post for rookies like me?

#1127 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Thanks for the info. Is there a link or key post for “crypto for dummies” starter post for rookies like me?

1. Open a Coinbase account.
2. Add your bank account, deposit money.
3. Buy Bitcoin and Ethereum, the two biggest coins.
4. Wait for 3 or 4 months and watch your account gain 25-50%, OMG, this shit is awesome!
5. Start buying other coins, open a Binance US account and transfer Bitcoin over from your Coinbase account.
6. Decide you have a more chance of making big money buying cheap lesser coins (AKA "shitcoins"), buy a bunch with your Bitcoin, get really excited as they get pumped and go up 300%, buy more at the peak, then watch the price tumble and you lose most of your money.
7. Then start over and focus on Bitcoin and Ethereum, buying $50-$200 each paycheck each time the price dips.
8. 5 years later realize you have over 50K-100K in crypto and realize your crypto account has grown way faster than your stock investments. Start planning your early retirement.

#1128 2 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I bought more Ada at 1.16. Let’s see where this goes. A Saturday night dip across several coins makes me think it should recover a bit at least by Monday.

Less than a full day later, my ada purchase has gone from 1.16 to 1.32 currently. Nothing crazy, but I’ll happily take it.

#1129 2 years ago

My Chia plotting is underway! Only have 3 plots farming currently but some SSDs arriving later this week should speed things up quite a bit.

8BB1B2D1-13C4-4FA9-89C9-E814CE2B1DDA (resized).jpeg8BB1B2D1-13C4-4FA9-89C9-E814CE2B1DDA (resized).jpeg
#1130 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

My Chia plotting is underway! Only have 3 plots farming currently but some SSDs arriving later this week should speed things up quite a bit.
[quoted image]

I'll hit you up once I build my next comp

#1131 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

[quoted image]

Do I even want to ask what Chia plotting is?

#1133 2 years ago

And why would you want to be “plotting”? Nothing in that article said anything about its use or anything else relevant to what it is or purpose that it serves. Other than a way to burn up SSDs and waste space.

Is there something in that article that explains what it does and I just missed it?

#1134 2 years ago

And why would you want to be “plotting”? Nothing in that article said anything about its use or anything else relevant to what it is or purpose that it serves. Other than a way to burn up SSDs and waste space.
Is there something in that article that explains what it does and I just missed it?

Since when is use and relevance important?

#1135 2 years ago

Chia runs off of PoST (proof of space and time)

So in order to farm (like mining) you need to have plots to farm.

Each hard drive which can be HDD, will be filled with plots. In order to produce plots at an efficient rate a SSD preferably mounted via M2 off the motherboard would be used to plot your farms. Good CPU with good memory are ideal.

Think of your SSD like your tractor. Unfortunately SSD have finite life so they will get run into the ground. Once plotted the files hang out and are referenced from time to time so HDD work best/ more cost effective.

#1136 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Each hard drive which can be HDD, will be filled with plots. In order to produce plots at an efficient rate a SSD preferably mounted via M2 off the motherboard would be used to plot your farms. Good CPU with good memory are ideal.
Think of your SSD like your tractor. Unfortunately SSD have finite life so they will get run into the ground. Once plotted the files hang out and are referenced from time to time so HDD work best/ more cost effective.

Well gee, thanks for the clarity.

#1137 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

What does it do? Does it serve any purpose?

For example LINK acts as an oracle service bringing consensus data from off the Etherium virtual machine (EVM) onto the EVM for use in smart contracts. So things like non-ERC-20 token prices and financial data. It also allows interoperability between blockchains that have no way to share data.

BAT serves as a payment system so people can tip or support online content creators.

UNI, SUSHI and CAKE provides liquidity in a market where there might not be enough which allows people to exchange tokens where there isn't either enough liquidity to support their transaction, or perhaps there isn't a trading pair between the two currencies.

CEL allows people to stake tokens for interest that is then lent to other people or institutions that might not want to sell their coins thereby triggering a tax event.

I'm just trying to figure out what it actually does? It sounds like it just sucks up bandwidth and storage space while burning up SSDs for for no useful purpose?

#1138 2 years ago

There can be only one. THETA.

#1139 2 years ago
Quoted from OzPinSmith:

There can be only one. THETA.

I added that to my watch list back when it was around $2, but it's not on any of the exchanges that I use, so I'm kind of out of luck.

#1140 2 years ago

And that boys and girls is why you don't keep your 'effin keys on your 'effin computer. That d-bag should be thrown in jail. Damn CEO of an exchange keeps his private keys for the administrative MetaMask wallet on his damn computer? Seriously?!?!

Mine have never been on my computer.....ever. They are embossed on steel plate locked in safes at two different locations.

https://cryptobriefing.com/easyfi-hacked-over-80-million-metamask-attack/

#1141 2 years ago

What does it do? Does it serve any purpose?
BAT serves as a payment system so people can tip or support online content creators.

Right now nothing more than take up space on HDD and burn through SSDs but next month we’ll see what it’s valued at. According to two people who did a private sale it’s worth at least $100 to them.

I had BAT for awhile that was fun to collect via Brave. I should have turned up the advertisement setting in the browser all the way and let it sit overnight.

#1142 2 years ago

And that boys and girls is why you don't keep your 'effin keys on your 'effin computer. That d-bag should be thrown in jail. Damn CEO of an exchange keeps his private keys for the administrative MetaMask wallet on his damn computer? Seriously?!?!
Mine have never been on my computer.....ever. They are embossed on steel plate locked in safes at two different locations.
https://cryptobriefing.com/easyfi-hacked-over-80-million-metamask-attack/

"Stupid is as stupid does"

#1143 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

How can I buy Safemoon coin? I live in Texas and I’m not allowed to purchase BNB so I can use it to buy Safemoon. I have tried everything! Got the trust wallet account too. I heard about buying ETH in Trust Wallet and then converting it to BNB in coinswitch? So confused. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. What beef does Binance have with Texas specifically that's not applicable to the rest of the US?

*edit* Found a bit of stuff, including TX issuing a C&D against them a month ago....heh.

#1144 2 years ago

I'm going to get it from Astropin for this one, but I bought some DOGE. I had $41 in my Binance account I found when I went in to pull my weekly staking rewards numbers for my tracking software.

Figured, what the hell. I'll buy it at $0.34 and put in a sell order for $0.69 and see if I can double my money.

Before you down vote me too much, I also bought some SUSHI that I've been eying for the last few weeks. Figured the pull back might be a good time to get in on it. I appear to be pretty heavy into DeFi now that I take a look at my portfolio.

#1145 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. What beef does Binance have with Texas specifically that's not applicable to the rest of the US?
*edit* Found a bit of stuff, including TX issuing a C&D against them a month ago....heh.

Texas is pretty anti-crypto and into heavy regulation of new industries and things the government can't quite understand or doesn't like. They finally let liquor get delivered and shipped to people at their homes after fighting it for years. Pot's still illegal, even for medical use except for a few very explicit medical conditions. But there are ways around it.

#1146 2 years ago

cardano (resized).JPGcardano (resized).JPG

This could be a very big event for Cardano/Ada, and possibly crypto as a whole. I'm very excited for this. Only downside is they're making us wait until next Thursday haha.

#1147 2 years ago

I'm going to get it from Astropin for this one, but I bought some DOGE. I had $41 in my Binance account I found when I went in to pull my weekly staking rewards numbers for my tracking software.
Figured, what the hell. I'll buy it at $0.34 and put in a sell order for $0.69 and see if I can double my money.
Before you down vote me too much, I also bought some SUSHI that I've been eying for the last few weeks. Figured the pull back might be a good time to get in on it. I appear to be pretty heavy into DeFi now that I take a look at my portfolio.

I'm not going to downvote anyone for "playing" in a pump and dump scheme. $41....have fun. Just don't go thinking it has any real future and start adding real money to it just because you did "double your money".

#1149 2 years ago

Maybe this isn't allowed, but..

If anyone is thinking about opening a coinbase account, if you use the link below and fund with $100 we both get $10 in BTC.

https://www.coinbase.com/join/beimbo_2

If I get the referral, I'll donate $10 to a charity of your choosing (preferably one that makes a small donation really painless) with screenshot proof.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1150 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm not going to downvote anyone for "playing" in a pump and dump scheme. $41....have fun. Just don't go thinking it has any real future and start adding real money to it just because you did "double your money".

To be honest, if I get a free case of Stella out of this, it’s a win.

I think it’s as much of a shit coin as you do.

There are 8,233 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 165.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi/page/23?hl=ozpinsmith and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.