(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,270 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 hours ago by Pdxmonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8038 (resized).png
IMG_8034 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,270 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 166.
#7301 1 year ago

I'm not sure why I'm even on BlockFi's mailing list, I think I opened an account when I looked at staking the first time, but then realized I could stake easily through a more secure hot wallet.

#7302 1 year ago

SBF claims to have donated equally to republican candidates too. But used dark pools because he was worried about the optics from the media of donating to republicans.

Still a free man in the Bahamas

#7303 1 year ago

It's weird seeing "Say hello to Fidelity Crypto!" when I log into my Fidelity account this week.

#7304 1 year ago

Dude, that is cult level shit man.

Bitcoin isn't scarce - it's only scarce because a collective of people have decided it should be.. and their say on the matter is only relevant as long as their interpretation stays the desirable one.. which it does because it's in the audience's own interest to keep it that way. This is no different than an established religion who writes their own rules and then the faithful fight to reaffirm it because it protects what they are vested in.

Statements like "There is nobody "behind" Bitcoin" is spin doctoring to pump the product itself as if it were impervious to control or manipulation. Yet it is by the very people who manage the code base, who decides to run which code, and who actually decides to participate or not.. (which is the bigger stick to carry).

The 'bitcoin isn't...' chant is just more of the same self-serving pumping that makes this engine run in the first place. Remember... bitcoin isn't worth anything until someone decides it's worth exchanging for something people do value. A token in isolation is nothing more than a token... even if it has a novel scheme in how it's moved and generated.

Bitcoin isn't the same as all the other upstarts that create their own spin, but that doesn't elevate bitcoin into some god-like concept that insulates it from manipulation or influence.

Consensus is something that really depends on who is in the room. And Bitcoin existence is defined only by whatever the current consensus is.

Eventually you are left with the same group of people trying to protect what they already have and being forced to try to convince others why it should be valuable (so their own holdings are meaningful). Hence the never ending stream of evangelists preaching its glory.

#7305 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Dude, that is cult level shit man.
Bitcoin isn't scarce - it's only scarce because a collective of people have decided it should be.. and their say on the matter is only relevant as long as their interpretation stays the desirable one.. which it does because it's in the audience's own interest to keep it that way. This is no different than an established religion who writes their own rules and then the faithful fight to reaffirm it because it protects what they are vested in.
Statements like "There is nobody "behind" Bitcoin" is spin doctoring to pump the product itself as if it were impervious to control or manipulation. Yet it is by the very people who manage the code base, who decides to run which code, and who actually decides to participate or not.. (which is the bigger stick to carry).
The 'bitcoin isn't...' chant is just more of the same self-serving pumping that makes this engine run in the first place. Remember... bitcoin isn't worth anything until someone decides it's worth exchanging for something people do value. A token in isolation is nothing more than a token... even if it has a novel scheme in how it's moved and generated.
Bitcoin isn't the same as all the other upstarts that create their own spin, but that doesn't elevate bitcoin into some god-like concept that insulates it from manipulation or influence.
Consensus is something that really depends on who is in the room. And Bitcoin existence is defined only by whatever the current consensus is.
Eventually you are left with the same group of people trying to protect what they already have and being forced to try to convince others why it should be valuable (so their own holdings are meaningful). Hence the never ending stream of evangelists preaching it's glory.

It’s scarce because the max is defined, unlike any other currency before it.
If ppl are willing to trade it for any currency then it has value. The code is managed by validators majority not a centralized controller. BIP dictate any changes.

Personally I think it’s really fascinating.

#7306 1 year ago

But some of the toxic Bitcoin maximalist stuff is very ridiculous.

#7307 1 year ago

I think we can all agree that Bitcoin is foolproof because it's based upon "anti-rug pull technology."

#7308 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think we can all agree that Bitcoin is foolproof because it's based upon "anti-rug pull technology."

Much harder to seize btc than money in a bank account.

#7309 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

It’s scarce because the max is defined, unlike any other currency before it.

A Distinction there specifically in fiat currencies vs commodities. The common things like gold before were fixed, they just were not fully tapped or under one roof. And that principal of being fixed is also a curse in itself when it comes to using the thing as a currency. It just really helps drive the perception of scarcity... but scarcity isn't always something you want when you are dealing with a function of commerce like in an actual currency.

Fiats have their problems - but the world isn't just a binary system either. Ultimately we are a culture that relies on people exchange things between each other (unless we all switch to being self-sustaining communes). That reality has proven it needs the flexibility to grow and shape the types of currencies we use to keep the common good.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

If ppl are willing to trade it for any currency then it has value. The code is managed by validators majority not a centralized controller. BIP dictate any changes.
Personally I think it’s really fascinating.

It is novel - but it is not pure. So much of its defense is predicated on the idea that people don't want to devalue what they already have.. it's a self-fulfilling kind of model whose biggest defense -- 'consensus' -- is also how it can be changed.

Today people can only say 'well they will never do that...' -- because they don't know or haven't conceived the premise that could ultimately change the consensus. It's not pure - it's just not yet conceived on how it would play out. And they are motivated to argue that it can't happen either, so you become vocal to shut the idea down as well. Same as religions...

#7310 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A Distinction there specifically in fiat currencies vs commodities. The common things like gold before were fixed, they just were not fully tapped or under one roof. And that principal of being fixed is also a curse in itself when it comes to using the thing as a currency. It just really helps drive the perception of scarcity... but scarcity isn't always something you want when you are dealing with a function of commerce like in an actual currency.
Fiats have their problems - but the world isn't just a binary system either. Ultimately we are a culture that relies on people exchange things between each other (unless we all switch to being self-sustaining communes). That reality has proven it needs the flexibility to grow and shape the types of currencies we use to keep the common good.

It is novel - but it is not pure. So much of its defense is predicated on the idea that people don't want to devalue what they already have.. it's a self-fulfilling kind of model whose biggest defense -- 'consensus' -- is also how it can be changed.
Today people can only say 'well they will never do that...' -- because they don't know or haven't conceived the premise that could ultimately change the consensus. It's not pure - it's just not yet conceived on how it would play out. And they are motivated to argue that it can't happen either, so you become vocal to shut the idea down as well. Same as religions...

https://river.com/learn/what-is-a-bitcoin-improvement-proposal-bip/

Different than religion. Religion the rules run top down. Btc rules are mathematically enforced.

#7311 1 year ago

If all you see is price you’re definitely not looking hard enough imo.

#7312 1 year ago

KuCoin looks bad… if you have any funds there.

#7313 1 year ago

Will a biggie like Binance, Kraken, Coinbase or Crypto.com be next? It seems like there will be a lot less exchanges in a few months.

#7314 1 year ago

Kraken and Coinbase look pretty solid, and neither of them issue their own token. Kraken was doing proof of reserves every year for a few years already.

Binance and CDC, both issue their own token. So I’d say the risk is higher with those two. Tether also has a risk of imploding, that would be a big downswing for whole crypto market.

But all this is nothing new…. MT Goxx, Bitconnect, list goes on with bad actors. Self custody would have saved everyone from all these disasters.

#7315 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Btc rules are mathematically enforced.

Only by the people deciding what the rules are right now. They are not fixed. Again, the pitch is the rules won't change... because why would the people making the rules devalue their own holdings? It's a mexican-standoff.. not a rule of nature. BIP Is just a process - not any constraint in itself. It's just another thing held in place by current consensus. It alone is not a defense against a hard fork. The only defense is questioning if an idea is compelling enough to enough of the right people.

BTC's safety is in the hoard itself... again like a religion. The idea of the purity of the beliefs is essential to defending said beliefs to protect what is already under their roof and they tend to fall hard when thinking they can't stop takes hold (leading to revolts or splits).

Bitcoin really hasn't made any progress to functioning as a real currency or how to cope with the same type of pressures that brought down the gold standards before it. At this point it's still a commodity that people preach will function as basis of value.

"bitcoin isn't crypto" is just a smokescreen. It's different, but still not a physical commodity nor anything with intrinsic value. It's an idea.

#7316 1 year ago

Yeah, I have my Atom staked via CDC's DeFi wallet and it's starting to make me a little nervous. The uncoupling time for staking is 30 days.

#7317 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Bitcoin really hasn't made any progress to functioning as a real currency or how to cope with the same type of pressures that brought down the gold standards before it. At this point it's still a commodity that people preach will function as basis of value.
"bitcoin isn't crypto" is just a smokescreen. It's different, but still not a physical commodity nor anything with intrinsic value. It's an idea.

Clearly you don't buy drugs on the dark web I think when you started to be able to buy a Tesla with BTC, NFL players taking their salaries in BTC, and BTC debit and credit cards, it started to make progress towards functioning as a real currency.

#7318 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Only by the people deciding what the rules are right now. They are not fixed. Again, the pitch is the rules won't change... because why would the people making the rules devalue their own holdings? It's a mexican-standoff.. not a rule of nature. BIP Is just a process - not any constraint in itself. It's just another thing held in place by current consensus. It alone is not a defense against a hard fork. The only defense is questioning if an idea is compelling enough to enough of the right people.
BTC's safety is in the hoard itself... again like a religion. The idea of the purity of the beliefs is essential to defending said beliefs to protect what is already under their roof and they tend to fall hard when thinking they can't stop takes hold (leading to revolts or splits).

As far as functionality I disagree with your statement as lightening was developed recently and that huge benefits.

Here’s an example of sending btc from several users from different countries in seconds for cents.
Cross border payments done in real time with no permissions needed is huge, game changing for any country where ppl rely on remissions.

https://twitter.com/coincorner/status/1593244732066783234?s=46&t=xioIljjB-QBKFN1KoiIwnA

Here’s btc payment at McDonald’s in Europe.

America tax laws are a nightmare for btc transactions atm. I’m hoping this bill gets passed which would make crypto more user friendly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2022/07/08/lummis-gillibrand-crypto-bill-an-important-step-in-bringing-regulatory-clarity-to-bitcoin-stablecoins--digital-assets/?sh=17ed808647d0

Validators get to pick which code to run and anyone can be a validator it’s as fair as you can get system.

Do agree with you on you can’t separate Bitcoin and crypto. If you have one you got the other too.

#7319 1 year ago

amusing legal overview of FTX. Lots of wild details included here, so I recommend not drinking a beverage while watching!
It does a good job of outlining some of the potential legal liability and implications that will be unfolding soon enough.

EDIT: lol I hate that thumbnail, it doesn't do the video justice

#7320 1 year ago

Anyone watch his interview yesterday?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtZNqEGzfQ6jO4SXWz51bRw

#7321 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

amusing legal overview of FTX. Lots of wild details included here, so I recommend not drinking a beverage while watching!
It does a good job of outlining some of the potential legal liability and implications that will be unfolding soon enough.

EDIT: lol I hate that thumbnail, it doesn't do the video justice

I watch a lot of his breakdowns.

#7322 1 year ago

#7323 1 year ago

Today in Twitter classics:

Screenshot_20221203-133801_Twitter (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221203-133801_Twitter (resized).jpg

#7324 1 year ago

Screenshot_20221203-143532_Twitter (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221203-143532_Twitter (resized).jpg

#7325 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

[quoted image]

That isn't on "environmentalists" wtf. You can't take corporate greenwashing and use that as some kind of sassy argument against people that care about the environment. That would be like mocking all bitcoiners for a relative proximity to Ghislaine Maxwell.

#7326 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

That isn't on "environmentalists" wtf. You can't take corporate greenwashing and use that as some kind of sassy argument against people that care about the environment. That would be like mocking all bitcoiners for a relative proximity to Ghislaine Maxwell.

Relax...it was funny/ironic

#7327 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Relax...it was funny/ironic

It's amazing how often I can see people with major national tv programs try and make that kind of argument with all seriousness and righteous condemnation. The ol' "look at how dumb and hypocritical these so-called earth-huggers are... and now they want to tell you that FRACKING is bad, when we're extracting glorious FREEDOM CASH from the earth???"
so a bit too on the nose for me perhaps

1 week later
#7328 1 year ago

Rumored SEC Ripple case coming to a close soon, outcome will have big consequences.

Also currently watching an attempted bank run on Binance exchange (which is different than Binance.US). They seem to be handling it okay for now, 2022 exchange wars.

#7329 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Rumored SEC Ripple case coming to a close soon, outcome will have big consequences.
Also currently watching an attempted bank run on Binance exchange (which is different than Binance.US). They seem to be handling it okay for now, 2022 exchange wars.

My Crypto is down 96%, I imagine that its either boom or bust at this point.

#7330 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My Crypto is down 96%, I imagine that its either boom or bust at this point.

Wow that’s a lot. All alt coins?

#7332 1 year ago

Ok maybe I spoke too soon.
Screenshot_20221213-153138_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221213-153138_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20221213-153344_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221213-153344_Chrome (resized).jpg

https://defector.com/binance-lawyer-do-not-tickle-me-im-at-the-base-of-this-human-pyramid/

#7333 1 year ago

That was me and one of the pins was PDXMonkey’s Godzilla LE I’m enjoying Zilla LE, Jurassic Park LE, Rush LE and Alien LV a lot more than watching my blue chip NFTs slow rug to zero lol. I still dabble in NFTs, but all high value assets were liquidated. I may jump back in next year or whenever another bull run comes

#7334 1 year ago

Oh yeah? Just wait until all the pinball exchanges are uncovered for the pump and dump ponzi schemes they are! ....err...n/m.

#7335 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

That was me and one of the pins was PDXMonkey’s Godzilla LE I’m enjoying Zilla LE, Jurassic Park LE, Rush LE and Alien LV a lot more than watching my blue chip NFTs slow rug to zero lol. I still dabble in NFTs, but all high value assets were liquidated. I may jump back in next year or whenever another bull run comes

I cant wait for the next bull run as soon as I can make enough for a pin im out

#7336 1 year ago

apologies to whomever reported my prior post. I had no idea that was deemed political. I sincerely did not mean it like that.

#7337 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Zilla LE, Jurassic Park LE, Rush LE and Alien LV

Goddamn that's an amazing lineup. I got to play an Alien LV last weekend and I'm absolutely in love.

#7338 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

Goddamn that's an amazing lineup. I got to play an Alien LV last weekend and I'm absolutely in love.

Thanks man. Alien LV is sick AF and I’m in love with this game too. Do whatever it takes to get one. There are also tons of great mods available for this pin. The wife is afraid of it, but it’s never leaving, ha ha. Find Jonesy is my favorite mode so far. Here are some pics of the recent additions.

21F86EED-4418-4A99-BEBE-816EED7F95A1 (resized).jpeg21F86EED-4418-4A99-BEBE-816EED7F95A1 (resized).jpeg2D965CC7-3063-4423-A448-046EAC857612 (resized).jpeg2D965CC7-3063-4423-A448-046EAC857612 (resized).jpeg33506EF4-0821-4B75-A5F3-406BF5B09A00 (resized).jpeg33506EF4-0821-4B75-A5F3-406BF5B09A00 (resized).jpeg4A99B9F7-6D3D-400B-8D47-D03B433B0D86 (resized).jpeg4A99B9F7-6D3D-400B-8D47-D03B433B0D86 (resized).jpeg4B35AE74-507D-4084-8E1A-CDBE407A4257 (resized).jpeg4B35AE74-507D-4084-8E1A-CDBE407A4257 (resized).jpegA464CB77-6D9E-4382-99B4-E4D372E73273 (resized).jpegA464CB77-6D9E-4382-99B4-E4D372E73273 (resized).jpegAD86C197-B92A-4D55-83EF-DE864D4FE978 (resized).jpegAD86C197-B92A-4D55-83EF-DE864D4FE978 (resized).jpegADBA8C03-CA53-4CCB-802E-7E2686B9A72F (resized).jpegADBA8C03-CA53-4CCB-802E-7E2686B9A72F (resized).jpegB513E39F-56FD-41D6-8833-7D4C0536C782 (resized).jpegB513E39F-56FD-41D6-8833-7D4C0536C782 (resized).jpegCDC435FA-FB5C-4CDF-8FEC-361609A2B687 (resized).jpegCDC435FA-FB5C-4CDF-8FEC-361609A2B687 (resized).jpegD18FB51E-006B-4CD7-8AF2-9834C5D776B0 (resized).jpegD18FB51E-006B-4CD7-8AF2-9834C5D776B0 (resized).jpeg

#7339 1 year ago

Bought 2 valhalla before reveal, scored this one - a Mech. Getting offers for 5.5ETH at the moment for it.

Seems to be a fair bit of momentum with Valhalla at the moment, so not sure whether to cash out or hold to see if its the new Azuki....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7340 1 year ago

Rules to live by in NFT game:

1. If it’s worthy of a screenshot, you should probably sell
2. If you're itching to buy something with lots of fomo you're probably exit liquidity.

#7341 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Thanks man. Alien LV is sick AF and I’m in love with this game too. Do whatever it takes to get one. There are also tons of great mods available for this pin. The wife is afraid of it, but it’s never leaving, ha ha. Find Jonesy is my favorite mode so far. Here are some pics of the recent additions.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice line up! I had an original Highway Alien (production #20) but when I saw they were going for 14k I sold it. It is a great game though. Find Jonsey literally had my dod running around looking for a cat...it was pretty funny. Also had a Jurassic Park premium...but for some reason that game never fully clicked with me, so I sold it and finally got a TRON.

#7342 1 year ago
Quoted from robm:

Bought 2 valhalla before reveal, scored this one - a Mech. Getting offers for 5.5ETH at the moment for it.
Seems to be a fair bit of momentum with Valhalla at the moment, so not sure whether to cash out or hold to see if its the new Azuki....
[quoted image]

Cash out.

#7343 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Nice line up! I had an original Highway Alien (production #20) but when I saw they were going for 14k I sold it. It is a great game though. Find Jonsey literally had my dod running around looking for a cat...it was pretty funny. Also had a Jurassic Park premium...but for some reason that game never fully clicked with me, so I sold it and finally got a TRON.

Ha, thanks Astro! That Jonesy cat chasing mode is hilarious and the cat meow sounds are spot on LOL. I can't wait for my wife to see/hear that mode. I played through many of the modes in both movies (Alien and Aliens) last night and saw a good portion of the game. It has great flow with a pitch of 6.5 or higher and is extremely challenging...the outlanes are hungry on that game! If the gameplay and code keep me interested and coming back for more, I'll keep it. Otherwise, it's getting sold/traded for something else (Kiss LE, Zeppelin LE, Black Knight LE, Mando LE, Cactus Canyon LE?). So far, I'm loving it, though.

My wife and I are both connecting well with Jurassic Park, but not Godzilla so much. I think I just need to spend more time on Zilla and hopefully it clicks with me. I had a heavily modded Tron Pro a few years ago and it was a beautiful game, but the code isn't very deep and I got bored. The spinning disc was fun, but it always made black marks on the balls and a mess around the playfield. Fun game, for sure. That's what's great about pinball: there's something for everyone!

#7345 1 year ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

DaFuq did I just read?

Article leads off with some freaky-deaky illustrations (Aphex Twin album cover rejects?). Tone of the writing matches the art pretty well.

#7346 1 year ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:DaFuq did I just read?

Problems with comprehension?

#7347 1 year ago
Quoted from robm:

[quoted image]

Damn 8.5 wEth offer now

#7348 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Damn 8.5 wEth offer now

Scooooby Dooby Doo!

#7349 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

Scooooby Dooby Doo!

Pretty much, his $800 NFT is worth the same as a NIB Scooby doo CE 3 weeks later. Pretty lucky draw.

There are 8,270 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi/page/147 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.