(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,270 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by Pdxmonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8038 (resized).png
IMG_8034 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,270 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 166.
#5951 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Seeing Ukranians standing in line at the bank is a bit of an eye opener to the benefits of decentralized finance.

How about Canadian’s that donated over $25 to trucker convey that now have their bank accounts frozen…

#5952 2 years ago

I'm not falling for that one again!

#5953 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm not falling for that one again!

Airdrops and claims work different. Airdrops have no gas charge to you.

#5954 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

How about Canadian’s that donated over $25 to trucker convey that now have their bank accounts frozen…

It's a little bit different than having your sovereign country bombed and attacked and having a run on the banks to get some cash to flee with while they are undergoing cyberattacks to disrupt banking services. Their accounts were unfrozen a few days later... the Ukranians won't be as lucky.

#5955 2 years ago

Edit...already posted

#5956 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

It's a little bit different than having your sovereign country bombed and attacked and having a run on the banks to get some cash to flee with while they are undergoing cyberattacks to disrupt banking services. Their accounts were unfrozen a few days later... the Ukranians won't be as lucky.

Neither is a good situation if it's your money.

#5957 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Neither is good situation if it's your money.

True, but the distinctions are material.

#5958 2 years ago

Newbie q:

I read ledger creates a new BTC wallet address for each transaction and they remain valid.

If I want to transfer from crypto.com to ledger there is a 24 hour waiting period for security reasons to withdraw to this new address.
Can I safely use the generated address let's say 48 hours later?

#5959 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Newbie q:
I read ledger creates a new BTC wallet address for each transaction and they remain valid.
If I want to transfer from crypto.com to ledger there is a 24 hour waiting period for security reasons to withdraw to this new address.
Can I safely use the generated address let's say 48 hours later?

Sure, I don't see any reason why not. Once you have an address it remains valid; even if a new address is created later.

#5960 2 years ago
Quoted from thekiyote:

Do you mean $2,400? Because $400 is a drop of 84% from now. That would be the dark depths of a crypto winter, if even then...

Yup, 84% drops are bear market territory... can't wait!

#5961 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Yup, 84% drops are bear market territory... can't wait!

I'll load up on BTC if that happens...I'm not entirely convinced ETH will successfully make the transition to PoS.

#5962 2 years ago

Astropin I saw this article and thought you might like it.

"An AI trading bot that learns how to time the market and accumulate Bitcoin quickly learned that the best way is to simply ”hodl.” "

https://cointelegraph.com/news/hodl-don-t-trade-says-the-ai-bitcoin-trading-bot

#5963 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Astropin I saw this article and thought you might like it.
"An AI trading bot that learns how to time the market and accumulate Bitcoin quickly learned that the best way is to simply ”hodl.” "
https://cointelegraph.com/news/hodl-don-t-trade-says-the-ai-bitcoin-trading-bot

Ha! (But it always did seem obvious, with such a volatile asset).

#5964 2 years ago

Expert discovery ends today for the SEC vs Ripple suit, ending discovery. I expect a number of judicial rulings to come out in the next couple of weeks, including whether or not Ripple will be allowed to argue in favor of the fair notice defense and whether or not the Hinman Speech emails are covered under privilege, followed by a few weeks of silence as the two sides negotiate a potential settlement based on the judge's rulings. Then we'll see if things are over or if they are moving towards a trial.

Right now, oddly enough, I think the thing that would bring this to settlement the quickest right now is if the judge orders those emails produced. There is something damning in there and it seems like the SEC *really* wants them hidden.

#5965 2 years ago

Btc flips Russian Ruble in market caps.

#5966 2 years ago

Not even a political observation - but the threat to conventional banking and money movement by Canada and Russia, I think more folks are getting the message...

#5967 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Btc flips Russian Ruble in market caps.

That's one way of writing the headline!

#5968 2 years ago

Please excuse the newbie question. Is it common practice to lock in eth or btc profits by exchanging for a usd pegged token like tether or binanceusd and once eth or btc drops swap it back?

#5969 2 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Please excuse the newbie question. Is it common practice to lock in eth or btc profits by exchanging for a usd pegged token like tether or binanceusd and once eth or btc drops swap it back?

Tah twould be a smart way to manage your finances. PArticualrly in a bear market. If you think things are all heading back up for a decent period, better to lock profits in ETH and BTC as they will increase as well.

#5970 2 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

According to Glassnode 76% of btc hasn’t moved in at least six months.

#5971 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I'm in that statistic somewhere

#5972 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm in that statistic somewhere

Me too.

#5973 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Doesn't that bode well for this as a long term investment?

#5974 2 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Doesn't that bode well for this as a long term investment?

Yes it does.

#5975 2 years ago

Keep in mind that about 25% of mined btc is gone, lost or forgotten keys.
A donation to all holders as Satoshi put it.

#5976 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Keep in mind that about 25% of mined btc is gone, lost or forgotten keys.
A donation to all holders as Satoshi put it.

Plus, there is only about 11% left to mine...over the next 118 years.

#5977 2 years ago

I can account for about 100 of those lost btcs. Hard drive cash in like 2012-ish. Was worth a few hundred dollars at the time and I didn't think it was worth it to try to recover it

#5978 2 years ago
Quoted from thekiyote:

I can account for about 100 of those lost btcs. Hard drive cash in like 2012-ish. Was worth a few hundred dollars at the time and I didn't think it was worth it to try to recover it

Holy shit! Ouch. What trash can did you put that drive in?

#5979 2 years ago

Anyone own any KLAY (Klayton)? I'm seeing it appear on OpenSea along side ETH and was curious if anyone saw value in it.

#5980 2 years ago
Quoted from thekiyote:

Well, you certainly are not alone. Hopefully you didn't beat yourself up over it. There was no way to know then that we would be where we are now.

I can't even imagine what I've lost over the decades selling the "winners" to buy the "losers", all in the name of diversification. It's one of the reasons I'm a diamond handed holder of bitcoin now.

#5981 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Well, you certainly are not alone. Hopefully you didn't beat yourself up over it. There was no way to know then that we would be where we are now.

Oh, yeah, I know. I lost a few hundred bucks, the value of BTC at the time. I think this was in the pull back from the first bubble to around $30ish dollars. After crashing back down to the couple dollar range, I think everyone was thinking something around the $1 parity made sense. Lo and behold, here we are now!

The flip side is that I spent a couple hundred dollars on dogecoin back in 2014, mostly as a joke when the community was at its warmest, where I *did* keep my laptop with it on it. I didn't make millions off of it, but when Musk went a little crazy with it last year, it let us cover my wife's salary so she could take a little longer of a maternity leave and do some home repairs (also bought a nice ukulele for myself).

Quoted from Astropin:

I can't even imagine what I've lost over the decades selling the "winners" to buy the "losers", all in the name of diversification. It's one of the reasons I'm a diamond handed holder of bitcoin now.

So, I know people are really passionate about it, and I sincerely recognize how much bitcoin has done to define the cryptocurrency space, but I'm not entirely confident in bitcoin's future, so I divested myself away from it. At best, I see it kind of occupying a role like IBM: big in its niche, but not considered to be a disruptor anymore, and chose to go after projects that either work quicker, have less fees or function more anonymously.

Honestly, the digital gold/store of value never really held much sway with me, mostly because I remember the early days when people were talking about creating a digital cash, which I think btc hasn't quite hit the mark. Also, I think Satoshi completely underestimated how competitive people would be mining for BTC, with massive installations of specialized chips, instead of being mostly individual users mining on their PCs, treating it like lottery ticket.

But I am the guy who thought 100 btc wasn't worth recovering from a broken hard drive, so that shows how accurate my crystal ball is...

#5982 2 years ago

Well, I haven't checked in for a while, good news I'm still hodling, BTC and ETH, but I dumped ADA today...at a small loss. I've read some negative stuff about it, the devs don't like the complicated code and smart contracts are no where to be found....so I figured, I can get out at almost par and roll that into one of the other coins.

https://medium.com/yardcouch-com/cardano-is-dead-forever-the-truth-about-ada-42c789205262

#5983 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Well, I haven't checked in for a while, good news I'm still hodling, BTC and ETH, but I dumped ADA today...at a small loss. I've read some negative stuff about it, the devs don't like the complicated code and smart contracts are no where to be found....so I figured, I can get out at almost par and roll that into one of the other coins.
https://medium.com/yardcouch-com/cardano-is-dead-forever-the-truth-about-ada-42c789205262

I'm on the fence still with ADA, I'm holding ALOT. But I feel with the non BTC and ETH coins, alot of it is momentum and support and it feels like it's turned on ADA.

#5984 2 years ago

Half of me is thinking of just selling all my alt coins and keeping only bitcoin going forward. Looking at things from a macro view it seems like alt coins swing up and down in tune with bitcoin anyways, so maybe just going only with bitcoin is the more prudent way to go? I dunno, just thinking aloud.

#5985 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Half of me is thinking of just selling all my alt coins and keeping only bitcoin going forward. Looking at things from a macro view it seems like alt coins swing up and down in tune with bitcoin anyways, so maybe just going only with bitcoin is the more prudent way to go? I dunno, just thinking aloud.

My main reason for holding a few alt coins is staking. I'm getting 12-14.75% with CRO and ATOM using Crypto.com's defi wallet staking. I think I'm leaning in a similar direction as you, consolidating in BTC and ETH and a few staked coins and paying less attention to the daily ebb and flow of prices.

#5986 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

most of the TA/Traders only own/trade Bitcoin because everything follows it. Makes complete sense. There's of course talk about ETH supply shock and flippening as it becomes the preferred store of value.

#5987 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

most of the TA/Traders only own/trade Bitcoin because everything follows it. Makes complete sense. There's of course talk about ETH supply shock and flippening as it becomes the preferred store of value.

It will never ever become the "preferred store of value". Something went terribly wrong in the universe if that happens. It does not have the properties that are fundamental and required to be a world class SoV.

#5988 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

It will never ever become the "preferred store of value". Something went terribly wrong in the universe if that happens. It does not have the properties that are fundamental and required to be a world class SoV.

BTC's value above all others is being the only truly decentralized cryptocurrency. ETH is less inflationary than BTC already, and that will accelerate with ETH 2.0, so people are starting to be more comfortable keeping ETH over time rather than rolling it back to BTC. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the longer term.

#5989 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

BTC's value above all others is being the only truly decentralized cryptocurrency. ETH is less inflationary than BTC already, and that will accelerate with ETH 2.0, so people are starting to be more comfortable keeping ETH over time rather than rolling it back to BTC. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the longer term.

While there's a way to straight up prove it (though I may be wrong), my general feeling is that BTC's decentralization has been trending downwards. It's the problem with the proof of work method. Your hash power doesn't fully tell you about how decentralized your network is, it's the number of individual miners that are out there working independently, which is hard to get a count on. But a pool is a step away from that, as people are collectively mining, and the massive mining operations by things like power plants are a larger one. The trend of both is putting the control of mining into fewer and fewer hands.

Don't get me wrong, as it currently is, it's still good enough. I think that people overemphasize decentralization, at least on the network level. You don't need a perfect decentralization, which would, theoretically, be every user working as their own miner, just something that's decentralized enough to prevent individual (or groups) of players from collectively controlling consensus. I think that's why you're seeing a shift away from PoW to things like PoS, since you get that consensus for much cheaper in resource terms.

#5990 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

ETH'S protocol can change at anytime. It's not truly decentralized. Why would anyone want that to serve as their SoV? It does have utility and therefore will have value...but not as a SoV on any sort of global scale. Good investment? Probably, if it can successfully make it's transition. Great SoV? Never.

Quoted from thekiyote:

While there's a way to straight up prove it (though I may be wrong), my general feeling is that BTC's decentralization has been trending downwards. It's the problem with the proof of work method. Your hash power doesn't fully tell you about how decentralized your network is, it's the number of individual miners that are out there working independently, which is hard to get a count on. But a pool is a step away from that, as people are collectively mining, and the massive mining operations by things like power plants are a larger one. The trend of both is putting the control of mining into fewer and fewer hands.
Don't get me wrong, as it currently is, it's still good enough. I think that people overemphasize decentralization, at least on the network level. You don't need a perfect decentralization, which would, theoretically, be every user working as their own miner, just something that's decentralized enough to prevent individual (or groups) of players from collectively controlling consensus. I think that's why you're seeing a shift away from PoW to things like PoS, since you get that consensus for much cheaper in resource terms.

If say 70% of Bitocoin's mining was controled by one company, would they have control of the protocol? Nope. Everyone forgets about the nodes, and the nodes are massively decentralized. Without the nodes the only thing the 70% miner can do is hard fork. That's how BCH came to be. A majority of the miners wanted to change to Bitcoin Cash's protocol...the node operators did not...who won? Unless you have consensus of the miners and approval of the majority of the node operators, you can do nothing. Nothing very effective anyway.

#5991 2 years ago
Quoted from thekiyote:

Also worth noting that lightning is helping decentralize payments and tracking with a similar but different method of using pools, pretty cool imo.

PoS and PoW have different applications. I feel both can exist.

#5992 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

If say 70% of Bitocoin's mining was controled by one company, would they have control of the protocol? Nope. Everyone forgets about the nodes, and the nodes are massively decentralized. Without the nodes the only thing the 70% miner can do is hard fork. That's how BCH came to be. A majority of the miners wanted to change to Bitcoin Cash's protocol...the node operators did not...who won? Unless you have consensus of the miners and approval of the majority of the node operators, you can do nothing. Nothing very effective anyway.

They actually would, it's called a 51% attack. Controlling more than half of the computing power allows an attacker to pass through invalid transactions or invalidate legitimate ones. It's happened on some smaller coins (bitcoin gold and ETH classic). Sure, the coin would be quickly forked, but it gives a single entity a nuclear option.

But as of right now, that's not easily possible, but it was a bit concerning when China was starting to really dive deep in the mining space. It wasn't an impossible idea to think that the Chinese government could swoop in and take over those plants, which was why it was important to pay attention to it. (Less an issue now, though).

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Also worth noting that lightning is helping decentralize payments and tracking with a similar but different method of using pools, pretty cool imo.
PoS and PoW have different applications. I feel both can exist.

Lightning is a cool hack, basically trust lines to form a channel that bypasses the consensus mechanism, but it kind of sidesteps one of the biggest innovations of cryptocurrencies, which is solving the double spend problem in a trustless environment. Also, while it's a pretty big improvement, it still is far from being quick enough for bitcoin to be used as a digital cash.

Let me be clear, all of these are solvable, and in fact, have been solved in other cryptocurrencies. But bitcoin's development itself has slowed down a huge amount after Satoshi Nakamoto went away. The question is whether it can keep the pace of other cryptos out there over the long haul.

Also, to be perfectly clear, this is just my opinion as to why I'm hesitant on going all in on bitcoin. I know other people think differently and I could very well be wrong. I have been before *many* times trading in crypto.

#5993 2 years ago

My FOMO is starting to kick in again.

#5994 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

My FOMO is starting to kick in again.

I have the opposite feeling.

I'm moving all btc and eth from exchanges to my ledger. No 6.5% stake rewards any longer but less risk.
Can't really explain the change of plan but better safe than sorry, I can always transfer them back.

#5995 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I have the opposite feeling.
I'm moving all btc and eth from exchanges to my ledger. No 6.5% stake rewards any longer but less risk.
Can't really explain the change of plan but better safe than sorry, I can always transfer them back.

I don't keep anything on the exchanges.

#5996 2 years ago

Installed a chimney strap and pole today and a Helium mining antenna. Got the lightning arrestor and ground run, but my cable I'm running down the chimney to my Bobcat minrr is too short. So I'll have to order a longer one and redo some work. But since my miner hasn't shipped yet, I have time. I want to have it all ready to go with the miner arrives. And as an added bonus, I'm doing a digital HDTV antenna on the pole too.

helium (resized).jpghelium (resized).jpg
#5997 2 years ago

Articles like this are the necessary nails in the coffin of that "freezing" crypto accounts nonsense. Nice to see some of the numbers laid out in full.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/no-canada-did-not-seize-any-crypto-wallets-connected-freedomconvoy-heres-why

#5998 2 years ago

Just grabbed some BTC below 39k...I told you my FOMO was kicking in.

#5999 2 years ago

Jason Lowery on "why Bitcoin":

Screenshot_20220306-153234_Twitter (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220306-153234_Twitter (resized).jpg

#6000 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Jason Lowery on "why Bitcoin":
[quoted image]

This Infograph is basically propaganda. It doesn’t contain any actual info about traditional commodities or Bitcoin. Just a general statement “war is bad so Bitcoin is good”.

There are 8,270 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 166.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi/page/120 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.