(Topic ID: 287467)

Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, and Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

By Isochronic_Frost

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,246 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Pdxmonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8010 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240416_090601_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7954 (resized).png
20240329_184954 (resized).jpg
20240317_103033 (resized).jpg
financially-recover-i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this.gif
Screenshot_20240313_204806_X (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240310_000329_X (resized).jpg
IMG_7748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).png
btc (resized).jpg
IMG_7715 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,246 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 165.
#5051 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Rebalance into what? (out of curiosity). Half the people say take profits, and the other half say hodl and buy the dips. I'm definitely in the second camp since I can't think of a better place to put money.
Bitcoin definitely outperforms the S&P 500 or a total market index. Cash...lol! Gold...lol. Other crypto's will outperform over short periods; but that's a lot of research + a little luck. Long term probably nothing will outperform it.

Even the most bullish analysts think the crypto bull market will end sometime next year, and will start up again in 2024, I understand if you bought crypto super early and you are up so much that you've gotten really comfortable.

It's hard to say what I will rebalance into right now since I couldn't predict the timing of it, but I will definitely still leave a lot in. Not saying I would only leave 25% in all because that's all I'd stake.

The only way I would come close to taking out 75% is if there was some super crazy spike, like $150k-$200k ish next year.

#5052 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

LINK can suck it, pile of garbage purchase this year. I spent the first part of 2021 buying the primo crypto alt coins that everyone and their mother thinks are great like DOT and LINK, and they are a large part of the reason why I'm down in the 2021 crypto bull run. I have no idea why one of the most important projects in all of crypto is flat/down for the year when every influencer was pounding the table for a $400 price target by now, but instead it's down 60% since April. The news keeps rolling but the influencers have stopped their hopium. I've almost dumped it 3 times in the past month.

Sorry it didn't work out for you and that it's not being pumped, but it doesn't have to be pumped to turn out profitable. It's a solid project that fills a real void in the entire ecosystem. Without LINK, there is no way for the blockchain to get reliable data from anything off chain. It's just the way that the system is built. As smart contracts become more widely used LINK is going to be in demand more and more. I don't even think we've begun to scratch the surface of smart contracts.

You are right though, it's been down a good bit since everything crashed back in May. The project has never been big on shilling themselves and has always been relatively quiet.

Obviously don't take my advice on it, but my half assed opinion is that it's a project that serves a real world purpose that can only get bigger.

#5053 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Obviously don't take my advice on it, but my half assed opinion is that it's a project that serves a real world purpose that can only get bigger.

That's been my argument from the beginning. Maybe I would say "real world need".

#5054 2 years ago
Quoted from robm:

One upcoming launch that could be decent NFT wise is Cyberdoge. If anyone wants to join the discord channel, use this link https://discord.gg/eykyXEc7
Surely 7 of you can use that, then i get a whitelist spot! Would love to get on a decent whitelist.

Thanks to those who have signed up though my link above. 4 more to go and i've got a whitelist spot!

#5055 2 years ago

tip on discord

Whenever you join a room instantly turn notifications off and deactivate direct messages within the group. It’ll cut down a lot of scams and clutter.

#5056 2 years ago
Quoted from robm:

Thanks to those who have signed up though my link above. 4 more to go and i've got a whitelist spot!

I also just joined to help you out. Let me know when I can leave the server

#5057 2 years ago

Anyone trading EBIT, Bitcoin ETF offered by Evolve ETFs? It seems to be one of the few bitcoin ETFs that is options eligible. So you can buy calls as a cheaper bitcoin play. Thanks.

#5058 2 years ago
Quoted from robm:

One upcoming launch that could be decent NFT wise is Cyberdoge. If anyone wants to join the discord channel, use this link https://discord.gg/eykyXEc7
Surely 7 of you can use that, then i get a whitelist spot! Would love to get on a decent whitelist.

Hmm I passed up 2-3 possible whitelist opportunities... not sure there was enough interest for me... what are you seeing in it?

#5059 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Hmm I passed up 2-3 possible whitelist opportunities... not sure there was enough interest for me... what are you seeing in it?

The channel has a bunch of members, plus they seem to be pushing holders rather than flippers. Also giving away 140 ETH as part of the minting process to 20 people. So while its a low chance of getting some of that, way better than a lot of odds!

I also think the name is pretty good, and will attract a fair bit of interest

#5060 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Minted 5 of these today, 1 on WL and 4 on public. Was a quick sell out so…hope they can deliver.
https://opensea.io/collection/slotienft
Floor is doing pretty good, hoping to sell 2 to cover all the cost in.

22 hours later
Slotie already to .5 pre reveal..
Sell 2 to cover the cost in or wait till I can sell 1 to cover all five, if possible.

#5061 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

22 hours later
Slotie already to .5 pre reveal..
Sell 2 to cover the cost in or wait till I can sell 1 to cover all five, if possible.

Nice! Watched it yesterday go from 0.2 to 0.4ETH, but didn't have a whole lot spare to buy

#5062 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So, I just sold all of my Litecoin (that I've held since 2017) and purchased MATIC.

Quoted from Astropin:

A bit of a flyer... Litecoin has not done a whole lot and it never seems to keep pace in bull runs. I've just been hearing MATIC, MATIC, MATIC, lately so I'm going to run with it for a bit. I did okay with Litecoin; bought it for $59 in 2017 and just sold it for $212. I've already made about a grand on the MATIC ( in just a few hours).

This post made me buy a bit of matic. thanks for that. Wish I bought more, it's pretty popular these days...

#5063 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

My plan is to buy btc anytime there is a crash, drop it into Celcius to let it earn 6.2% then ignore it until 2030. No point in trying to time anything and at this point I feel btc is here to stay.

What is Celcius doing with it for that kind of payback? Sorry if that’s a newb question. I still can’t even understand 1/2 the damn acronyms y’all keep using. I’m a straight sucker for nice guaranteed return. What’s the catch?

#5064 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

What is Celcius doing with it for that kind of payback? Sorry if that’s a newb question. I still can’t even understand 1/2 the damn acronyms y’all keep using. I’m a straight sucker for nice guaranteed return. What’s the catch?

They lend out crypto assets basically, earn on that and pay part of it to the asset holders. There are other platforms that pay more interest but for this sorta thing I really need to trust the platform with my crypto so I stick with Celcius as they are lower risk. There's more info here, this dude makes good videos:

#5065 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

tip on discord
Whenever you join a room instantly turn notifications off and deactivate direct messages within the group. It’ll cut down a lot of scams and clutter.

Another approach is to set your status to invisible. That way you can continue to receive DMs from the Collab bot for holder verification and still private message other Discord members as needed. That's what worked for me, but different ways to skin a cat.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5066 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

My plan is to buy btc anytime there is a crash, drop it into Celcius to let it earn 6.2% then ignore it until 2030. No point in trying to time anything and at this point I feel btc is here to stay.

I'm not a btc expert, but is that 6.2% per year? Wouldn't it be better to buy some shares or ETFs that are options eligible and just write out of the money calls on the shares to earn a much larger return than 6.2%? I guess with this strategy you could miss out on big pops in the price of btc compared to just lending out your coins. Thanks.

#5067 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I'm not a btc expert, but is that 6.2% per year? Wouldn't it be better to buy some shares or ETFs that are options eligible and just write out of the money calls on the shares to earn a much larger return than 6.2%? I guess with this strategy you could miss out on big pops in the price of btc compared to just lending out your coins. Thanks.

Oh I'm sure there are other ways to potentially make more money, but I specifically wanted to have a long position of bitcoin (2030) and if it's going to sit there I may as well make some bonus on it. I went with Celcius as they seemed *relatively* safe to me, there are other places that offer higher yield but sometimes things can be too good to be true.

#5068 2 years ago

Why do you pick Celcius over CDC?

#5069 2 years ago

Looks like it's going to be a painful weekend. Ugh.

#5070 2 years ago

Most probably yet another good weekend to buy. Only problem is I can't keep buying !?!

#5071 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Most probably yet another good weekend to buy. Only problem is I can't keep buying !?!

If Bitcoin dips below $40k this weekend, count me in for another $100!

#5072 2 years ago

Yep...I'm getting ready to buy.

#5073 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Do you buy x at a predefined rate or do you spread your buy x, y, z every e.g. every 1k going down?

#5074 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Do you buy x at a predefined rate or do you spread your buy x, y, z every e.g. every 1k going down?

I'll be honest. I'm a little bit more like MicroStrategy (just magnitudes smaller scale ). When I get some extra money...I buy. If that happens to be near a nice dip, great. So right now we are clearly dipping. I'll watch and try to guess a ballpark bottom. Never perfectly hit one yet. Long-term...don't care.

Staight up, the largest purchase I made in 2021 was at 66.8k! Whoops. But I've also made purchases at 32K in 2021. Overall my cost basis is now up to 20k.

#5075 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'll be honest. I'm a little bit more like MicroStrategy (just magnitudes smaller scale ). When I get some extra money...I buy. If that happens to be near a nice dip, great. So right now we are clearly dipping. I'll watch and try to guess a ballpark bottom. Never perfectly hit one yet. Long-term...don't care.
Staight up, the largest purchase I made in 2021 was at 66.8k! Whoops. But I've also made purchases at 32K in 2021. Overall my cost basis is now up to 20k.

Thanks a lot! Valuable information.

So you follow the market and then hit the buy button at will? You don't set a limit order and possibly miss out?

#5076 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Thanks a lot! Valuable information.
So you follow the market and then hit the buy button at will? You don't set a limit order and possibly miss out?

Correct. I don't keep money on exchanges and have never used a stable coin. For amounts 10k or less I can make immediate spot purchases without ever needing to tranfer money to an exchange. 1k or less I use Strike. greater than 1k-10k I use Swan.

#5077 2 years ago

Quoted from Astropin:

Shit, I'm like Zach Meny over here: BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

#5078 2 years ago

Soooo, much misinformation out there it's scary.

I just had someone tell me that 2% of the addresses own 85% of all Bitcoin; therefore that 2% has control over the protocol....lol.

Someone else asked what would happen if all the full nodes shut down and only the "pruned" nodes were left? Crazy shit. (That's literally impossible).

Someone else said it only takes 51% to hard fork Bitcoin. Lol. (Anyone can hard fork Bitcoin at anytime...the real trick is getting your fork to have any value).

Someone else wanted to know who owns bitcoin.org....becase THEY control the protocol.

It's still so early.

#5079 2 years ago

I'll say this...if it's digital, and there's money to be made from it, someone will figure it out. Always remember that. Never accept 'impossible' as an absolute. It might take some time, but it is always possible.

#5080 2 years ago

Does everyone thing we're still in a bull market? I'm calling the end of the bull run and the beginning of the next crypto winter. I'm down 39% with no signs of the drop stopping. As soon as things would start to turn around will be the time when the regulatory bullshit will start and push it down further. I think we have a very long way to go before things start moving back up.

#5081 2 years ago

Does everyone thing we're still in a bull market? I'm calling the end of the bull run and the beginning of the next crypto winter. I'm down 39% with no signs of the drop stopping. As soon as things would start to turn around will be the time when the regulatory bullshit will start and push it down further. I think we have a very long way to go before things start moving back up.

Funny, now that this sentiment is popping up a lot more, before it was overly bullish, I am now more bullish.

It went up and retested the previous support, and failed, and is now retesting the recent low. As long as it stays above 42k, which it only touched ever so briefly recently, then it's fine, a break there would enter bearish territory.

I wouldn't expect much in December though.

#5082 2 years ago

No idea....long term, don't care. I did just buy some more at 47.5K...I'm sure I missed the bottom, but again, don't care.
I think we might go sideways for a while 1-2 months. Then I think we are going back up...could be wrong, long term, don't care.

#5083 2 years ago

There is one thing that would make me sell all of my Bitcoin...if it moved to proof of stake mining.

#5084 2 years ago

Now that I'm doing being negative Nancy. It does make me feel better getting to vent here though.

Anyway, in case anyone cares, I moved some things around and always like seeing how different networks handle transactions, especially on networks that I've never transferred between wallets before. I had stuff that should have been staked on Kraken that I wanted to move.

Polkadot - Moved 20 DOT from Coinbase Pro to Kraken with a transaction fee of 0.0159 DOT ($0.42) - Transaction took about 5 - 6 minutes

Cardano - Moved 650 ADA from Coinbase to Kraken with a fee of 0.0018 ADA ($0.002) - Transaction took about 3 minutes.

Solana - Moved 5.1 SOL from Coinbase Pro to Kraken with a fee of 0.00005 SOL ($0.0009) - Transaction took under 30 seconds.

By far, Solana kicked ass. I'm sure transaction times will vary based on the number of confirmations each exchange requires for each coin to ensure an non-reversible transaction. But either way, Solana was crazy fast and dirt cheap.

Makes me want to buy more SOL.

#5085 2 years ago

Now that I'm doing being negative Nancy. It does make me feel better getting to vent here though.

Well if it helps you, please do

Have a plan, and stick to it.
Don't get too emotional, just stick to your plan and in the long run you will be more than fine

(btw think some time it will consolidate but will run further. Still bullish)

#5086 2 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Well if it helps you, please do

It most definitely does and I appreciate everyone allowing me to do so and not becoming defensive.

#5087 2 years ago

I think this chart actually backs up my thesis. Most people look at it and see three green candles and then one red. But they are missing something.

Screenshot_20211211-112224_Twitter (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211211-112224_Twitter (resized).jpg

#5088 2 years ago

buy red, sell green. It's the opposite of human nature, but it is the only path to profitability.

#5089 2 years ago

If you are not completely "orange pilled" by Pomps interview with Jason Lowery then you simply lack comprehension:

Interview starts at 59:28

#5090 2 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

buy red, sell green. It's the opposite of human nature, but it is the only path to profitability.

Yes (if your a trader)

But I'm saying by looking at that chart, 2022 will not be red.

#5091 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I did just buy some more at 47.5K...I'm sure I missed the bottom

Maybe I did hit the bottom?

#5092 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Maybe I did hit the bottom?

Or, maybe not ...lol.

#5093 2 years ago

Well if this keeps going down like that I need to get fiat available in case we return to July territory.

If that happens I go all in

#5094 2 years ago

That's kind of my attitude, no one likes to see losses, but my average is 52k :p let it keep dropping, I'm in no hurry.

#5095 2 years ago

I'm just curious for all of you that are rooting for it to keep dropping. At what point do you want it to stop? $30k? $10k? Sooner or later people start packing it in if it keeps dropping and dropping. Hell, let's root for $50.

I guess I'm just completely confused why someone would root for their investment to significantly decline in value. Sure, you might be in it for the long term, but do you really want the price to degrade over the course of the next decade or something?

Most people look at it and say "Damn, it keeps crashing, I don't want any part of that" and then move on. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the "Let it crash" cheerleaders.

No offense intended, but I'm legitimately curious.

#5096 2 years ago

I'm just curious for all of you that are rooting for it to keep dropping. At what point do you want it to stop? $30k? $10k? Sooner or later people start packing it in if it keeps dropping and dropping. Hell, let's root for $50.
I guess I'm just completely confused why someone would root for their investment to significantly decline in value. Sure, you might be in it for the long term, but do you really want the price to degrade over the course of the next decade or something?
Most people look at it and say "Damn, it keeps crashing, I don't want any part of that" and then move on. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the "Let it crash" cheerleaders.

Im still down 60% and playing the fiddle while it all burns...

Or, it will be a pleasant surprise next year !

#5097 2 years ago

For me it is just simply timing. I missed plenty of opportunities to get in earlier. I got in pretty late. However, if you truly believe this is the wave of the future, current drops should not concern you at all, it should be considered opportunity. It sounds like you are struggling to get past the speculation aspect so drops will negatively impact your mindset.

As for, people buying in or moving away, I agree. Most of the jumps were due to whales not wanting to miss the upticks. It is unknown how many really care about the future, and those people will move their money to the next big chance. I'm not overly bullish in the short term tbh, but I have the time, patience, and cash to throw money at it if it goes lower. Honestly, I feel that the better play would be to play the swings, but the swings are so huge and seem unpredictable unless you are monitoring news feeds 24/7 for any little tidbit that may impact the direction.

#5098 2 years ago

I believe in it long term but was late joining the party.

So the lower it goes now; the more I can get and enjoy the ride.

If it only goes up from now on, that's fine for me too!

#5099 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

However, if you truly believe this is the wave of the future, current drops should not concern you at all, it should be considered opportunity. It sounds like you are struggling to get past the speculation aspect so drops will negatively impact your mindset.

My fear is the asshole politicians. I'd be singing a totally different song if there weren't a bunch of boneheads screaming "Ban it, Ban it". Because either they don't understand it or they don't like the fact that now the little guy gets to play the same games they've been playing.

That and it sucks ass to watch so much profit vaporize. I've watched what is a very sizable chunk of money (to me) disappear. Some of you might not find it sizable, but to me, it's a lot.

#5100 2 years ago

Because this market traditionally keeps a positive incline on a year to year basis. Reviewing the charts on all the major cryptos at CoinMarketCap can give you an "all time" graph for each. This year was a MASSIVE increase. The price of $ETH on 31 Dec 2020 was $730 and BTC was $32K. This one year, crypto took off like a rabid rocket off the chain. Now, we are having 15% swings, and people are getting skiddish.

This is a long-term play - think 5 years absolute minimum. Cryptos can have an 80% swing in volatility - meaning BTC would lose nearly $48K of its $66K high and ETH would go to $960 or so if something like that happened. You have retail investors (us) who don't even know how to say "Ethereum" but seeing Shiba Inu going to the figurative moon all over nothing but hype, while BTC and ETH have real-world digital applications and they just buy blindly. Then you have whales selling billions of crypto off on a whim or due to insider info exclusive to them, or intentionally initiating massive sell-offs to artificially bring the price down so they can buy even more tokens at cheaper prices then before the massive sell-offs.

This market is still in its infancy. This is like comparing the NYSE to its baby days in the 1860s. If you believe this is the future, then invest like you would ETFs, index funds, or dividend stocks. You do NOT LOSE unless you sell at a loss. Personally, I believe in this long term and feel dips like this are normal and expected as the market grows and finds its footing.

I think, and this is subjective, in 5 years, people will be kicking themselves if they aren't in right now. I think we're in the beginning stages of this market.

There are 8,246 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 165.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi/page/102 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.