E6602990-0C27-4EFA-A9F8-0A745B42DB0C (resized).jpeg
20181231_110832 (resized).jpg
led (resized).jpg
IMG_0702 (resized).jpg
IMG_0487 (resized).jpg
IMG_0387 (resized).JPG
PCC Pinnovators backbox audio module (resized).jpg
IMG_20170126_180941911 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

Every cool game deserves a club and I'm proud to be a member of this one - Pabst Can Crusher is bitchin'!

I hooked up a sub to my game along with an audio control panel and a connection module from Pinnovators just like I've done with all my other modern Stern games.

As well as playing 'em, I enjoy enhancing my games. Although PCC is comparatively simple, it's no exception for me. Here's a brief video of my Pabst Can Crusher that shows most of the modifications I've made/added:

Mods:

• Custom 5-balls apron card
• Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer
• Pinnovators PinPAC4 SternSPIKE2 audio control panel
• BriteButtons illuminated purple LED flipper buttons
• Clear button guard cabinet protectors
• Pinball Life premium ultra-gloss pinball
• PinGulp beverage caddy pro
• PDI glass
• White beehive plunger housing
• Blue knobbed plunger rod
• Blue start button
• Blue coin reject buttons
• Pabst sticker on coin door
• PBR retro (70’s) keychain
• PBR 6-pack tin sign topper
• Color-changing topper lighting kit (for Stern SPIKE system)
• Pabst Blue Ribbon LED lit wall sign

The only other mod I'm currently planning to add is a ball eject/shooter lane protector set.

#5 7 years ago

Since Pabst Can Crusher doesn't have typical mesh covered vent openings on the rear of the cabinet, I took advantage of two small oval openings in the bottom of the cabinet (one on each side of the stock woofer speaker) with which to run the subwoofer cable and topper cables out of it.

The Pinnovators kit comes with a coin door panel that contains various audio controls and a headphone socket; an audio module that attaches to the main backbox board, a CAT cable that connects the panel to the module, and a subwoofer cable. The photo below shows the audio module (the small green board to the left) installed in my game's backbox. The CAT cable connected to the coin door panel is plugged into the module on the left and a phone jack and a USB cable from the module connect into the game's board as well. Finally, the subwoofer cable also plugs into the module and can then be run down through the bottom of the cabinet, as described above, for connecting to an added subwoofer. Installation instructions and photos for this are available at the Pinnovators website too if you're interested.

PCC Pinnovators backbox audio module (resized).jpgPCC Pinnovators backbox audio module (resized).jpg

I created my topper from a PBR six pack tin sign that can be readily purchased on eBay, Amazon, etc. and I mounted it to a wood base that I made. The topper is fairly large, but as can be seen in my video, more than makes up for the difference in height between the Pabst Can Crusher and typical Stern DMD games.

I lit the topper with a the following LED lighting kit for Stern games that is available from Pinball Life:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2498

The lighting kit is cool as it comes with a sensor and remote control that allows you to choose various lighting colors and patterns. Power for the topper as well as the LED lit flipper buttons I added was available by plugging a splitter cable into the panel mounted on the left side of the cabinet near the front end of the game.

Hope this helps!

#6 7 years ago

I created a new (reduced reflections) gameplay video for any non-owners who may be interested in viewing.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

Do you owner have any suggestions for immdeate adjustments for better game play or should we just set it up stock (NIB, the legs, free play, GO) or what?
Thanks in advance.

PCC is comparatively straight forward (limited) as far as available game setup options, but I'd recommend two. First, set it to 5-balls to give average/poor players a reasonable chance at completing the top rollovers and thereby activating the saucer for shooting "Crushing Time". The bar that I used to play the game at had theirs set for 3-ball play, and I would constantly see people try the game, not really achieve any objective, and then just move on.

The second option is not as critical, but I'd recommend opening the outlanes up fully. This will prevent the game from being too easy for serious pinball players.

2 months later
#19 6 years ago

Thanks!

Quoted from bigehrl:

about to be a member of the club. ordered mine yesterday. now i'll have this and WNBJM.

WOW!

Coincidentally, I just noticed today that Pabst Can Crusher is getting no love whatsoever in the only two reviews posted for it on IPDB. It deserves some fully informed reviews to counter these (obviously) misguided opinions!

1 month later
#21 6 years ago

No flipper issues on mine so far. Other than a Node 8 board going bad after a week, my Can Crusher has played great.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

... Can Crusher just does not compel you to want to play again and again. Not enough there to warrant enough interest for that second quarter. ...

Perhaps settings are too easy then. My game's a fun challenge, but not brutal. Typically leaves guests wanting to try again.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from hobbypin:

Does anyone have any idea how many of these got produced?

I don't believe that I've ever seen a production quantity for these. Stern generally does not disclose numbers though except for LE models.

1 month later
#32 6 years ago
Quoted from SnowGalvin:

Is there a ball save you can purposely activate during gameplay on Can Crusher?

Not that I've seen.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from hobbypin:

Maybe when the ball goes back into the shooter lane? I've never tested this but now I'm curious.

Nope. That just awards 1 or 10 points via the rollover star and then allows the player another plunge (w/o skill shot activated) opportunity to hit a top rollover lane.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

... So, I guess it's not really that you get a new ball save, but if the ball goes back into the shooter lane during play, and somehow no points are scored when you plunge into play, you'll get the ball back. The only way I see no points being scored is a weak, missed attempt at the skill shot that falls short and somehow misses the rollover, then drains SDTM.

There you go. Not really a ball save per se. More of a zero point ball replunge as in older games.

2 months later
#40 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Anyone want to send a brother with WNBJM a code?
I like mixing things up.
Add a powerball too and watch it fly!

Will be glad to if I can. Do you know how? I tried to in past and didn't see any way to do so.

1 year later
#45 5 years ago

Pabst Can Crusher seems to be somewhat in demand these days as I've been solicited by a few folks looking for one.

Wish they were around 6 months ago when I ended up taking a bath on selling my very nice one!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

4,894 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crushing-cans-with-red-fang-pabst-can-crusher-club?tu=Tuna_Delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.