E6602990-0C27-4EFA-A9F8-0A745B42DB0C (resized).jpeg
20181231_110832 (resized).jpg
led (resized).jpg
IMG_0702 (resized).jpg
IMG_0487 (resized).jpg
IMG_0387 (resized).JPG
PCC Pinnovators backbox audio module (resized).jpg
IMG_20170126_180941911 (resized).jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Im sure this will be a small exclusive club, so share some mods, issues, and ideas. Art, music, and gameplay is rad so the first thing I'm trying to do is add and external sub, but can't find a way to run the wires. Any tips?

#2 7 years ago

Every cool game deserves a club and I'm proud to be a member of this one - Pabst Can Crusher is bitchin'!

I hooked up a sub to my game along with an audio control panel and a connection module from Pinnovators just like I've done with all my other modern Stern games.

As well as playing 'em, I enjoy enhancing my games. Although PCC is comparatively simple, it's no exception for me. Here's a brief video of my Pabst Can Crusher that shows most of the modifications I've made/added:

Mods:

• Custom 5-balls apron card
• Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer
• Pinnovators PinPAC4 SternSPIKE2 audio control panel
• BriteButtons illuminated purple LED flipper buttons
• Clear button guard cabinet protectors
• Pinball Life premium ultra-gloss pinball
• PinGulp beverage caddy pro
• PDI glass
• White beehive plunger housing
• Blue knobbed plunger rod
• Blue start button
• Blue coin reject buttons
• Pabst sticker on coin door
• PBR retro (70’s) keychain
• PBR 6-pack tin sign topper
• Color-changing topper lighting kit (for Stern SPIKE system)
• Pabst Blue Ribbon LED lit wall sign

The only other mod I'm currently planning to add is a ball eject/shooter lane protector set.

#3 7 years ago

Only mod I have added is a color changing topper. Great game.

IMG_20170126_180941911 (resized).jpgIMG_20170126_180941911 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I hooked up a sub to my game along with an audio control panel and a connection module from Pinnovators

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Normally I'd run the wires through the mesh on the bottom of the cab, but there is any on this game? Details on that topper too!

#5 7 years ago

Since Pabst Can Crusher doesn't have typical mesh covered vent openings on the rear of the cabinet, I took advantage of two small oval openings in the bottom of the cabinet (one on each side of the stock woofer speaker) with which to run the subwoofer cable and topper cables out of it.

The Pinnovators kit comes with a coin door panel that contains various audio controls and a headphone socket; an audio module that attaches to the main backbox board, a CAT cable that connects the panel to the module, and a subwoofer cable. The photo below shows the audio module (the small green board to the left) installed in my game's backbox. The CAT cable connected to the coin door panel is plugged into the module on the left and a phone jack and a USB cable from the module connect into the game's board as well. Finally, the subwoofer cable also plugs into the module and can then be run down through the bottom of the cabinet, as described above, for connecting to an added subwoofer. Installation instructions and photos for this are available at the Pinnovators website too if you're interested.

PCC Pinnovators backbox audio module (resized).jpgPCC Pinnovators backbox audio module (resized).jpg

I created my topper from a PBR six pack tin sign that can be readily purchased on eBay, Amazon, etc. and I mounted it to a wood base that I made. The topper is fairly large, but as can be seen in my video, more than makes up for the difference in height between the Pabst Can Crusher and typical Stern DMD games.

I lit the topper with a the following LED lighting kit for Stern games that is available from Pinball Life:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2498

The lighting kit is cool as it comes with a sensor and remote control that allows you to choose various lighting colors and patterns. Power for the topper as well as the LED lit flipper buttons I added was available by plugging a splitter cable into the panel mounted on the left side of the cabinet near the front end of the game.

Hope this helps!

#6 7 years ago

I created a new (reduced reflections) gameplay video for any non-owners who may be interested in viewing.

#7 7 years ago

Sweet! So there's 3 of us

#8 7 years ago

I know of 2 of other pinside members with them so 5 of us

#9 7 years ago

I'm going to be an imposter for a few days because on March 16 I'll be present for the unboxing of a BCC at Arcade Expo 3.0. BCC will be setup for attendees to demo at the Marco Specialites booth.

Do you owner have any suggestions for immdeate adjustments for better game play or should we just set it up stock (NIB, the legs, free play, GO) or what?

Thanks in advance.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

Do you owner have any suggestions for immdeate adjustments for better game play or should we just set it up stock (NIB, the legs, free play, GO) or what?
Thanks in advance.

PCC is comparatively straight forward (limited) as far as available game setup options, but I'd recommend two. First, set it to 5-balls to give average/poor players a reasonable chance at completing the top rollovers and thereby activating the saucer for shooting "Crushing Time". The bar that I used to play the game at had theirs set for 3-ball play, and I would constantly see people try the game, not really achieve any objective, and then just move on.

The second option is not as critical, but I'd recommend opening the outlanes up fully. This will prevent the game from being too easy for serious pinball players.

#11 7 years ago

Tall boy shooter rod installed

IMG_0387 (resized).JPGIMG_0387 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
#12 6 years ago

Love the art on this machine and the old school play. Wish they were a lot cheaper than $6K new.

1 week later
#13 6 years ago

Hey folks! Just got a PCC and having a great time with it so far. Have one issue, though, since the moment I turned it on - the 100s score reel (see pg 36 of manual) refuses to show the right numbers. It's not that it doesn't spin - it does, when it's supposed to, but it doesn't know where to stop, always landing on the wrong number.

My first suspicion was that there was something wrong with the sensor (meaning the table wouldn't know where the notch in the reel is), but that doesn't explain this:
When I open the backbox and start switch test, all the other reels sort of 'lock up' - if you try it, you'll see they still can be turned by hand, but in a ratcheting, incremental way. But the 100s reel still spins freely if you pull it and release (think 'Wheel of Fortune'). Seems like something is just loose or disconnected. I called the Stern support line and from what I could tell, they weren't familiar with the issue, and offered to replace the reel assembly. Any thoughts based on your own experiences with your games?

Oh, and in case you couldn't tell, this is my first table, so apologies if any of what I've written doesn't make sense. Thanks!

1 month later
#15 6 years ago

about to be a member of the club. ordered mine yesterday. now i'll have this and WNBJM. i have spending problems

#16 6 years ago

how many red fang songs does this thing play? is it just one?

#17 6 years ago

5 or 6 I think

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

how many red fang songs does this thing play? is it just one?

No Hope
Doen
Wires
Malverde
Hank is Dead
Dirt Wizard
Number Thirteen
Throw Up
Shadows
Blood Like Cream
Flies
Not For You
Crows in Swine

At least those 13 songs. Perhaps more, but not sure.

#19 6 years ago

Thanks!

Quoted from bigehrl:

about to be a member of the club. ordered mine yesterday. now i'll have this and WNBJM.

WOW!

Coincidentally, I just noticed today that Pabst Can Crusher is getting no love whatsoever in the only two reviews posted for it on IPDB. It deserves some fully informed reviews to counter these (obviously) misguided opinions!

1 month later
#20 6 years ago

Hi - new here. I just had two left flippers break in a row on my Can Crusher. Anyone else having issues?

IMG_0487 (resized).jpgIMG_0487 (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

No flipper issues on mine so far. Other than a Node 8 board going bad after a week, my Can Crusher has played great.

#22 6 years ago

No issues on mine to report, around 2200 plays so far. I have mine on location and it is the worst earning game out of a group of 16 pins.

#23 6 years ago

How do you have it set up Brian? Between CC and WN I've played the game many places and the settings make a huge impact.

If it isn't angled enough it's very slow and boring. Too much and you'll kill casual players. I'd also leave it only the easy setting so the top rollover lights stay on between balls until all four are activated and you achieve crushing time. (Easy Settings)

While most I've played have five ball the local spot has it three ball but with a extremely long ball save. One tilt warning but sensitive.

For home use I like 5-ball, 6 degree, Stern settings (new ball kills top lane, saucer kills top lane), zero tilt warning. Basically turning it into a modern EM.

#24 6 years ago

Great pin,, Love the music.. but I am old school. Can a person add or change songs like other music style pins. ??? Thoughts. ? It would be awesome pin with old 70's style music added. THX> Nick.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from OurFightingForce:

How do you have it set up Brian? Between CC and WN I've played the game many places and the settings make a huge impact.
If it isn't angled enough it's very slow and boring. Too much and you'll kill casual players. I'd also leave it only the easy setting so the top rollover lights stay on between balls until all four are activated and you achieve crushing time. (Easy Settings)
While most I've played have five ball the local spot has it three ball but with a extremely long ball save. One tilt warning but sensitive.
For home use I like 5-ball, 6 degree, Stern settings (new ball kills top lane, saucer kills top lane), zero tilt warning. Basically turning it into a modern EM.

Game is on easy settings,but it isn't the setup, Can Crusher just does not compel you to want to play again and again. Not enough there to warrant enough interest for that second quarter. I will be selling mine some time in the near future.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

... Can Crusher just does not compel you to want to play again and again. Not enough there to warrant enough interest for that second quarter. ...

Perhaps settings are too easy then. My game's a fun challenge, but not brutal. Typically leaves guests wanting to try again.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Perhaps settings are too easy then. My game's a fun challenge, but not brutal. Typically leaves guests wanting to try again.

Ha ha, no I don't think the game is too easy. I like the game, but it just doesn't earn very well. People do play Can Crusher, but no one arrives there seeking it out. Other operators I know have had similar experiences. It has had better earnings when paired with Pabst promotions, not great but better.

#28 6 years ago

I just purchased one with 20 games on it. The match lights on the backbox don't line up correctly. They are in the middle of each number. Easy fix but this is crappy quality control. The complete machine feels like every corner was cut to extremes to reduce cost. Hope all new Sterns aren't like this. Really turning me off of wanting to buy new.
Does anyone have any idea how many of these got produced?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from hobbypin:

Does anyone have any idea how many of these got produced?

I don't believe that I've ever seen a production quantity for these. Stern generally does not disclose numbers though except for LE models.

#30 6 years ago

I have a hand written sticker on the underside of my play field that read #27. Not sure if that means anything.

1 month later
#31 6 years ago

Is there a ball save you can purposely activate during gameplay on Can Crusher? We have one on location and know that it has a ball save, albeit a short one. Occasionally a player will receive a ball save after playing for a while and we aren't sure of the cause.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from SnowGalvin:

Is there a ball save you can purposely activate during gameplay on Can Crusher?

Not that I've seen.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from SnowGalvin:

Is there a ball save you can purposely activate during gameplay on Can Crusher? We have one on location and know that it has a ball save, albeit a short one. Occasionally a player will receive a ball save after playing for a while and we aren't sure of the cause.

Maybe when the ball goes back into the shooter lane? I've never tested this but now I'm curious.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from hobbypin:

Maybe when the ball goes back into the shooter lane? I've never tested this but now I'm curious.

Nope. That just awards 1 or 10 points via the rollover star and then allows the player another plunge (w/o skill shot activated) opportunity to hit a top rollover lane.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from hobbypin:

Actually, this is correct. I just tested with the glass off. Looks like each time the ball goes back into the shooter lane from the playfield, your ball save renews.

EDIT: I was placing the ball back into the shooter lane during play, after ball save was over. After plunging the ball, I'd grab it as soon as it got onto the playfield and drain it. The ball will kick back out to shooter lane, staying on the same ball… But only when no points are scored. If any points are scored, no matter how quick the ball is drained, it will go to the next ball.

So, I guess it's not really that you get a new ball save, but if the ball goes back into the shooter lane during play, and somehow no points are scored when you plunge into play, you'll get the ball back. The only way I see no points being scored is a weak, missed attempt at the skill shot that falls short and somehow misses the rollover, then drains SDTM.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

... So, I guess it's not really that you get a new ball save, but if the ball goes back into the shooter lane during play, and somehow no points are scored when you plunge into play, you'll get the ball back. The only way I see no points being scored is a weak, missed attempt at the skill shot that falls short and somehow misses the rollover, then drains SDTM.

There you go. Not really a ball save per se. More of a zero point ball replunge as in older games.

3 weeks later
#37 6 years ago

In the settings you can set a traditional ball save for as long as you like. The location near me had a very long ball save.

There is also an option for a "consultation" ball which is the "zero point" situation.

2 months later
#38 6 years ago

Here's my Can Crusher mod!

IMG_0702 (resized).jpgIMG_0702 (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago

Anyone want to send a brother with WNBJM a code?
I like mixing things up.
Add a powerball too and watch it fly!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Anyone want to send a brother with WNBJM a code?
I like mixing things up.
Add a powerball too and watch it fly!

Will be glad to if I can. Do you know how? I tried to in past and didn't see any way to do so.

1 year later
#41 5 years ago

Anyone looking to raise some cash and sell their Pabst Can Crusher?

#42 5 years ago

What are these Red Fangs going for?

What's the cheapest one can obtain a Maiden Premium?

#43 5 years ago

Pinstym You interested in selling yours?

Machine - Wanted
Wanted! - “Tired of your existing PBR? Want to raise some cash for a new game experience? Well I'm your man. Hit me up and we'll make a deal!”
2018-12-17
Montecito, CA
Wanted
Archived after: 1 day
Viewed: 116 times
Contributed to Pinside

#44 5 years ago

Not really. But if I could switch it out for a Maiden prem, that's the only game I probably want more than my Red Fang.

#45 5 years ago

Pabst Can Crusher seems to be somewhat in demand these days as I've been solicited by a few folks looking for one.

Wish they were around 6 months ago when I ended up taking a bath on selling my very nice one!

#46 5 years ago

People are still getting the idea that the lay out is super fun and the music combined with call outs make it super special
WNBJM PCC or Primus are the bomb IMO

3 weeks later
#47 5 years ago

I am looking to trade Primus SD image for a PBR Crusher

Does anyone know if these flasher lights work or not for the can crusher machines?
Node 11b has an output "CN4" going to backbox LED flashers

For the Primus machine, they do not work....ever.

I added 2 1/4" flippers from Williams and love it.

Added some star post LEDs as well, and the PBR plastic protector kit.

led (resized).jpgled (resized).jpg

#48 5 years ago

2 1/4" flippers.
Just a wee-bit longer than the original 2".

20181231_110832 (resized).jpg20181231_110832 (resized).jpg

#49 5 years ago

I'd trade the SD image if it was possible and I knew what I was doing.

Can check the flasher deal after work.

Still have my original flippers. I had purchased a power ball and lightening flippers when I got my game. Didn't enjoy playing with the power ball so I got rid of that, and I liked the play I got from the original flippers.

I also have the plastic protectors installed.

#50 5 years ago

Eject SD card...

Use program https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7114-hdd-raw-copy-tool.html

Download from where it says, "Portable" under download options

Install you PBR Crusher's SD card into your PC desktop/laptop.

Launch HDDRawCopy and browse to your SD card for the source, which will show up as a drive.
Obviously not the C:, but it will be named D: or G: or some other drive name depending on your PC and what you have plugged in.
Make a folder on your desktop called, "PBR backup" as destination to write image back-up. Point to that folder as destination.

To make new SD card is similar, but in reverse. Point to desktop file as source, and a new or used SD card as the destination to have image written.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crushing-cans-with-red-fang-pabst-can-crusher-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.