(Topic ID: 132579)

Building my new "Ballroom"

By SealClubber

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nook_OCT_15.jpg
    Right_OCT_15.jpg
    Left_OCT15.jpg
    Legacy_Marquis_High_End_Sapele_Pommele_Finish_434_253.jpg
    kolumna_centralna_paradi_14278.jpg
    The_Boys.jpg
    TV_Room2.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    Ballroom.jpg
    TV_room.jpg
    Pin_Nook.jpg
    Gameroom.jpg
    TV_wall.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I am getting ready to finish the basement in our new house and I want to put the LED strips in crown molding around the gameroom. How far down from the ceiling do you guys recommend to allow good light throw? The ceiling is at least 8' if that matters. My wife thinks 4". I have seen some as close as 1" and as far as 12". For those who have done this, what do you recommend or would have done differently and why?

Here is a pick of the plan. The kitchen is actually a wetbar with a fridge where the stove is. The piano is a jukebox. The program didn't have icons for those. Lots of storage in this house.

Basement.pngBasement.png

#2 8 years ago

I love air hockey. Just some advise. Hold out and get some one selling a used coin op one. All the rest are just crap and unplayable.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks. I may never get one but I definitely won't buy junk.

#5 8 years ago

I have mine around 4"

#6 8 years ago

I'm looking at doing the same thing. Anybody have pics of what they did?

#7 8 years ago

Mine are just about a foot from the ceiling. I considered everything from 6" to 16" and liked the overall look best at 12" It's also going to depend on what type of LEDs you are using and if the will be dimmed or not.

#8 8 years ago

I taped led tape light along my drop ceiling track. Worked great.

And at like $8 for 15 feet its worth it

#9 8 years ago

Lighting has changed so much in the last few years. Here are a few pictures of the conference room in my office in which I held the crown down 6" from the ceiling and installed LED tape light behind it. With all the new options, you can go with RGB for color changing depending on mood/atmosphere or even have some that let you change the color temperature (2700k Warm white to 6000k daylight white and everything in between). Any time I do this, I prefer to paint the back of the crown matte white so the color of the wood doesn't affect the reflected light on your ceiling of walls. Good luck!

Photo_Jul_09_8_35_30_AM.jpgPhoto_Jul_09_8_35_30_AM.jpg

Photo_Jul_09_8_35_22_AM.jpgPhoto_Jul_09_8_35_22_AM.jpg

#10 8 years ago

Depends on what effect you want. The closer you place it to the ceiling the less ceiling area it lights. Mine is 1.5" from the ceiling, so just gives a nice effect without producing much light. Great for watching movies on the big screen, etc, but not the primary light source for the room.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

1 week later
    #11 8 years ago

Thanks.
    Here are some pics. The framing, electrical and plumbing are done. Just installed some soundproofing over the theater area as my bedroom is right above it. The rest of the insulation will be in Monday and drywall starts Tuesday. Added a window to the bedroom to make it legal. The pins are all the way in the back so Sunlight won't be an issue.

Bed_n_Bath_rooms.jpgBed_n_Bath_rooms.jpg
    Pin_area.jpgPin_area.jpg
    Basement.jpgBasement.jpg
    Theater_n_bar_area.jpgTheater_n_bar_area.jpg

#12 8 years ago

Drywall is hung. Have two 20A circuits to the pin walls. Gonna run the ribbon lights from the bar all the way around the pins and back along the soffet to the door. Bedroom.JPGBedroom.JPGBath.JPGBath.JPGTV Room.JPGTV Room.JPGTV wall.JPGTV wall.JPGBar nook.JPGBar nook.JPGGameroom.JPGGameroom.JPGPin Nook.JPGPin Nook.JPG

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Have two 20A circuits to the pin walls.

Assuming you will have all your pins set up, I would install another circuit. You may need it for subs and other signs/lighting. I would also recommend 4-gang receptacles for the same reason. My basement is wired with two 15A circuits for 8 pins with 2 subs. I haven't popped any breakers yet, but I want to add a couple more subs. My receptacles are maxed and I have to use a power strip. Luckily, my walls are still unfinished so I will run another circuit and put in 4-gangs before it's all said and done.

#14 8 years ago

When I built my theatre I asked many on AVSForum and ended up doing my strip lights at 4 1/2" and I am glad I did as I think it's perfect.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jenk540i:

Depends on what effect you want. The closer you place it to the ceiling the less ceiling area it lights. Mine is 1.5" from the ceiling, so just gives a nice effect without producing much light. Great for watching movies on the big screen, etc, but not the primary light source for the room.

image.jpg image_1.jpg image_2.jpg

THIS.

COVE LIGHTING IS PRIMARILY ACCENT LIGHTING. IF YOU HAVENT ALREADY CONSIDERED THIS MAKE SURE YOUR CAN LIGHTS OR WHATEVER YOU USE FOR YOUR GI ARE POSITIONED SO YOU CANNOT SEE THEIR REFLECTION OFF THE PLAYFIELD GLASS. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR PRIORITY IN MY OPINION

#16 8 years ago

My opinion is that 2 20 amp circuits is not enough for the number of pins in your layout. Most power strips are rated at 15 amps so they would trip before your breaker. I would add 2 more 15 amp circuits and using 2 gang outlets so you have 4 plugs on each one is the way to go. So you don't have to use power strips at all. You are going to want to use neon/electric signs, etc and you will run out of power really quick.

#17 8 years ago

Absolutely do not use power strips. Get outlets where you need them.

Consider putting outlets behind where the pin heads will be so you don't have cords dangling on the floor. You will still need outlets off the floor for code.

I also agree that you might want to consider another circuit. I also planned 5 pins per 20 amp circuit, but did not take into account other power needs. I've been ok, but wish I had added another circuit.

#18 8 years ago

Thank you all but it is too late now. They are mudding the walls. I did have them install more receptacles than minimum code. I have different sets of lights in different circuits to help with the reflections.

#19 8 years ago

If you buy power strips buy the good ones with high power surge ratings.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I also planned 5 pins per 20 amp circuit, but did not take into account other power needs. I've been ok, but wish I had added another circuit.

You can get away with 5 per 20AMP circuit but I would recommend 4 per 20AMP circuit.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

You can get away with 5 per 20AMP circuit but I would recommend 4 per 20AMP circuit.

Yes, and I wish I had done that, hence my comment above.

#22 8 years ago

I guess because mine are all LED'd, I was abled to run 9 machines on one 20A circuit routinely at a time with no issues in my last house. I don't plan on that being the norm but no more than 4 is a bit excessive IMO. If I run into issues, I can have an electrician extend the stairs or storeroom circuit to the long wall since it is open to the storeroom behind it.

3 weeks later
    #23 8 years ago

Doors and Trim installed. Walls painted.
    Ballroom.JPGBallroom.JPGTV room.JPGTV room.JPG

#24 8 years ago

Carpet is installed and starting to populate the room. IMG_1316.JPGIMG_1316.JPGIMG_1315.JPGIMG_1315.JPGIMG_1314.JPGIMG_1314.JPGIMG_1313.JPGIMG_1313.JPG

1 week later
    #25 8 years ago

Finally got the TV on the wall and the boys out of storage. The Boys.JPGThe Boys.JPGTV Room2.JPGTV Room2.JPG

#26 8 years ago

You have a nice big wall. Get rid of that tiny tv and even tinier speakers. Get a projector screen(fixed) and slam up a reall nice projector with some awesome speakers. I see no subwoofer for theater system, man down. Get at least 1 buttkicker, fasten to your couch and get ready to immerse yourself into movies

#27 8 years ago

Thank you. Sub is on the other side of the console cabinet thing. Speakers are Bose and sound really good. The TV is a 50" and just right for the viewing distance. I don't want to see a bunch of pixels. It looks small because that wall is 15' x 9'.

#28 8 years ago

Nice setup SealClubber.

Quoted from jrivelli:

You have a nice big wall. Get rid of that tiny tv and even tinier speakers. Get a projector screen(fixed) and slam up a reall nice projector with some awesome speakers. I see no subwoofer for theater system, man down. Get at least 1 buttkicker, fasten to your couch and get ready to immerse yourself into movies

I have to agree from my personal tastes, but I've learned long ago Home Theater is in the eye of the beholder.

#29 8 years ago

We have an Arctic Wind air hockey table in our game room. It's made by the Valley Dynamo folks out of Texas and is a no frills home version. Very good quality and construction. We've been thrashing it for two years and it still looks brand new.

Ok, my advice...If you place it near your pins make sure the pins are COVERED with a blanket or cover while playing. Those plastic pucks leave the table at high speed and will do damage. I have some wood repair to do on my pool table due to flying pucks.

I love your floorplan. I also did layout on paper before talking to contractors.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Thank you. Sub is on the other side of the console cabinet thing. Speakers are Bose and sound really good. The TV is a 50" and just right for the viewing distance. I don't want to see a bunch of pixels. It looks small because that wall is 15' x 9'.

I sit about 8 feet away from a 100 inch projector in my room now. I thought it'd be too big but no way..... Bose

Serious question time, why would you see pixels with a bigger tv? If that's a debate then shouldn't you go buy a 32 inch?

That room is incredible btw, very incredible. Just sayin, you could have a decent "theater" setup to polish it off

Quoted from BrianZ:

Nice setup SealClubber.

I have to agree from my personal tastes, but I've learned long ago Home Theater is in the eye of the beholder.

This is only true until they experience a good setup imo. Then they realize what's missing.

#31 8 years ago

In the basement diagram, what are the 8 things along the north wall. Camp Cots for the help?

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

This is only true until they experience a good setup imo. Then they realize what's missing.

For the most part I agree....But you cant tell them that until they seen it.

I've run into others that it never clicked. They want a home theater to have it, but just can't see or hear the difference.

I just wish I was that way!!! Love this stuff... My center channel alone is bigger then most peoples tower speakers...
    kolumna_centralna_paradi_14278.jpgkolumna_centralna_paradi_14278.jpg

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

My center channel alone is bigger then most peoples tower speakers...

cheers to you sir... center channels are the most frequently overlooked piece of a theater rig - yet they're SO damn important...

once you've enjoyed a movie with a capable center that can go down to 25hz without distorting - something inside you changes.

Legacy_Marquis_High_End_Sapele_Pommele_Finish_434_253.jpgLegacy_Marquis_High_End_Sapele_Pommele_Finish_434_253.jpg

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

In the basement diagram, what are the 8 things along the north wall. Camp Cots for the help?

Pinball Machines Or are you talking about the tan things. Those are 8' wooden shelves I am going to build.

#35 8 years ago

Priorities J. A first class theater isn't one of them. Reality is I don't watch that much TV. It just has to be good enough. Awesome takes more money than I want to throw at it. All the research I did said to take your sitting distance from the TV in inches and divide by about 2 to 2.5 to get the screen size. Besides, I move every couple of years so small speakers are nice.

Oh, and thank you for the complement.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Priorities J. A first class theater isn't one of them. Reality is I don't watch that much TV. It just has to be good enough. Awesome takes more money than I want to throw at it. All the research I did said to take your sitting distance from the TV in inches and divide by about 2 to 2.5 to get the screen size. Besides, I move every couple of years so small speakers are nice.
    Oh, and thank you for the complement.

Forget that. That's an awful awful rule. Get the biggest TV you can easily afford. Period

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

All the research I did said to take your sitting distance from the TV in inches and divide by about 2 to 2.5 to get the screen size.

Most people don't do this (generally have the couch at one end of the room and TV at the other because it "looks nice"). I'm happy when I'm sitting at 2x the diagonal of most TVs. Just don't put me across the room from your 42".

#38 8 years ago

Looking good SC!
    Is this where we're having the next Pinvitiational???
    I swear I saw a golf course outside that bedroom window...

#39 8 years ago

Thank you. Eventually I will have a Big Ballsroom party. But finding the right time will be difficult due to my new job, the monthly local tournament, and a local who is having a big Bash in October. You are definitely welcome when I do. There are several golf courses not too far from here.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

All the research I did said to take your sitting distance from the TV in inches and divide by about 2 to 2.5 to get the screen size.

It's a bit more complicated, and really should include resolution (720 vs 1080 v 4K).

But again, whatever works for you. You get a few of us Home Theater freaks involved, and we can lighten your wallet quicker then a couple of new stern pinball machines!

You've got a great setup, and I'm certain you will enjoy your new space.

#41 8 years ago

Thank you. I totally understand where you are coming from.
    Its a 1080. It looks good. I may mess with the mount and see if I can lower the TV some more. I don't like it so high up the wall.

1 month later
    #42 8 years ago

Sorry it took so long to post pics. I was gone a bit.
    Left OCT15.JPGLeft OCT15.JPGRight OCT 15.JPGRight OCT 15.JPGNook OCT 15.JPGNook OCT 15.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crown-molding-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.