(Topic ID: 228283)

Crowdfunding for pin manufacture?!

By MegaGhost

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megaghost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

You get a group of pinheads together and bounce of some ideas of what themes they would love to see and there will be many who agree on particular themes they would buy in a heartbeat. I've got it in my mind that one of my life goals is to one day see a "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" pin put into production. While that may or may not be your theme of choice I love the idea that there could be a way of bringing together interested investors in a project to see it born into reality. All of those Led Zeppelin fans out there...or Rush...or another big name band for example...if they were united could collectively put down the cash to get their dream pin off the ground as a group...whereas as an individual it would be financially out of reach for all but the ultra wealthy or those who are willing to take on great debt with a loan.

I love homebrew but don't really want to personally spend the time and energy to make it happen. And frankly even if I did I don't think it would be all I want the pin to be if I did it all myself. Also, a one of a kind pin isn't going to spread the joy like one that was produced on a larger scale that can be in more homes.

I heard in an interview with American pinball that they are adding a 3rd line for production of pins that might come from the homebrew or public market. Working with them and doing ones due diligence a person to count the cost of production and licensing...etc. Then they could turn to crowdfunding sites like "Kickstarter" and start a campaign to find more interested people than just on pinside...and offer tshirts...and other goodies for contributing after the project is funded. They've done it for virtual pinball. It would take lots of planning and work but maybe we'd get some titles that would never happen otherwise?!

I'd love to hear your input about the feasibility of this. Is there another way to accomplish this? Something I'm missing?

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from entomophile:

I hope and pray the pinball community is done with paying in advance for machines that may never be produced.

Do you see that being an issue with crowdfunding? With kickstarter the money is only collected if there is enough to fund the project.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:Please read the entire Predator thread and report back with your thoughts please.

I'm a long time lover of pins...but new to the whole community scene. I will read it. Not my intent to scratch at old wounds. I feel like I walked in mid-way through a movie that everyone knows the characters and plot but me. Forgive my lack of knowledge about backstory. Thanks. My end goal is to figure out if there is a way to get pins made "by the people" so to speak.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

To fund the project.
    Doesn't mean that it actually gets built or works.
    LTG : )

True true true. Its possible.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from entomophile:

The money is collected once target amount is raised. The is no guarantee that anything will ever be delivered. Plenty of examples of people getting ripped off on Kickstarter.

I know it happens. I wonder if there is a better way?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

It's unfortunate that these things are so damn expensive. My favorite band, Marillion started the crowd funding model that is used by kickstarter and all Indy bands. It would be nice if there was a better and safer model for pinball investors, though. A lot of big money that has been pissed away has really soured people on the "pay to build" approach. Maybe someone can can come up with an innovative "donation" system that can work with larger amounts, time will tell.

I appreciate your thoughts. It seems you're right...it would have to be innovative.

#15 5 years ago

Thinking I'll just drain this one. Perhaps I'll revisit it with a different approach after I've looked into it more. Want to save the old-timers the energy of having to type mocking comments. LOL.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megaghost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crowdfunding-for-pin-manufacture?tu=megaghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.