(Topic ID: 93442)

Crossing the border for a trade...anything I need to know?

By DylanFan71

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Darcy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Driving to Toronto tomorrow with FG in my SUV. Simple trade. No cash exchanged. Anything I need to say at customs? Anything not to say?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

You need a passport now to return from Canada. This changed a couple of years ago. I don't know if they will make you declare a pin or not.
Even though no money is changing hands, have him sell it for $1 with a receipt.

#3 9 years ago

I thought read somewhere a pin made in the US doesn't need duty paid on the way back into the USA.
I could be wrong, though.

I'm not sure about a US citizen bringing one from the US to Canada,

#4 9 years ago

I can't find anything on any government website about trading a pinball machine across international borders. Must have fallen through the cracks.

#5 9 years ago

Sorry, that may have been a bit specific. From what I understood, some things being 'repatriated' back to the USA have no duty.
Again, I can't back up my claims with anything solid.

#6 9 years ago

There was a thread about customs here:
http://www.pinballrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1822&p=15368&hilit=duty#p15368

(of course, that thread being on a Canadian site, it's likely mostly about Canadian citizens bringing a US pin back to Canada)

Post edited by tim_sanderson: amendment

#7 9 years ago

I'm guessing you should be ready to pay 13% tax on the value of the pin you're bringing in.
If this is the case, you may want to do some research to see what evidence you have (websites) to show the value of the pin. If they base the value on Ebay, you might end up paying more.

Guessing you should call the border to see if taxes will be charged on a zero-net trade?

#8 9 years ago

This is something I don't understand about US/Canada trading. NAFTA would have seemed to have made these kinds of trades 'Free' but perhaps Free Trade is only for big corporations, not the little guy.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

This is something I don't understand about US/Canada trading. NAFTA would have seemed to have made these kinds of trades 'Free' but perhaps Free Trade is only for big corporations, not the little guy.

I agree in theory but then anybody buying anything would say "it's an even trade, no cash exchanged." For any two items. 2 pinball machines, a car and a rock...
Impossible for customs to police this sort of thing.

#10 9 years ago

You can bring the pin in without duty,but will have to pay duty on the pin you are bringing back

You will need a written receipt with price, sellers name and phone number.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

You can bring the pin in without duty,but will have to pay duty on the pin you are bringing back
You will need a written receipt with price, sellers name and phone number.

Isn't it the other way around?
You can't bring a pin into Canada without paying taxes. Once in Canada, you can take it into the US without taxes, as that's the country it was made in.

#12 9 years ago

It is a even trade. I'll contact my trade partner and have home write a receipt.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

It is a even trade. I'll contact my trade partner and have home write a receipt.

Even if it's a net zero trade, you may get hit with taxes.
Good though. Seems as though it mostly depends on who stops you and what kind of mood they're in at the time.

#14 9 years ago

I just called the Canadian customs at the border crossing. I'm responsible for an import fee of 13%. Trade or sale, the same tax applies.

#15 9 years ago

I paid 5% when I brought a pin into Canada. I was prepared for the possibility I'd have to pay 13%. I'm still not sure exactly what I did or said that made things work out.

#17 9 years ago

Maybe take out a fuse and tell them it does not work and just for parts ?

#18 9 years ago

According to the Canada Border Services Agent web site. There is no Tariff fees on Pintables. Chapter 95 T2014. Tariff number 9504.20.00. You may have to still pay a tax though.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

According to the Canada Border Services Agent web site. There is no Tariff fees on Pintables. Chapter 95 T2014. Tariff number 9504.20.00. You may have to still pay a tax though.

That will come in handy.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I paid 5% when I brought a pin into Canada. I was prepared for the possibility I'd have to pay 13%. I'm still not sure exactly what I did or said that made things work out.

Was it brought into Alberta,we only have 5% gst here.
The Gst will apply,should be it.
You might not get charged anything,because you are still the owner bringing it in.

#21 9 years ago

I've made two cross border trades with both of my American trade partners bringing the machines over to me. On both occasions, neither of them had to pay any taxes or duties. I would suggest you do keep your trade communications (PM's, emails, texts, etc..) with you just to show as proof of the trade and the terms both parties agreed upon.

With that all being said, always cross into Canada expecting to pay 13% on value of the machine.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Was it brought into Alberta,we only have 5% gst here.
The Gst will apply,should be it.
You might not get charged anything,because you are still the owner bringing it in.

It was brought into Quebec.

#23 9 years ago

I've always thought a pinball machine would be a great way to smuggle stuff across the border with all that empty space under the playfield.

#24 9 years ago

Tax will apply coming into Canada, no question. It will be either 5% or 13%. Should be 13%, however, like someone said earlier, sometimes only the 5% tax will be charged. Prepare to pay 13%, if 5% gets charged, just keep your mouth shut and pay it. Sometimes things do slip through the cracks. Just provide all information (PMs, texts, emails) and let the officer make the decision.

The reason tax is being charged: if your Canadian trade partner had found someone to trade with within Canada, in theory, both of those machines would have been tax paid at some point. In your case, your non-tax paid machine will be traded for a taxed machine...the tax on your machine has to be accounted for. Its an expense you'll have to pass along to the buyer.

As for your trip back into the US, I think I know, but I don't want to guess, as it would only muddy the waters.

Good luck!

Rob
creditdotpinball.com

#25 9 years ago

My understanding is that 5% is charged to a business entity. Personal is supposed to be the full 13%.
Having said that, when Teekee brought AFM up, he was only charged 5%.
Sometimes you just get lucky.
And yes, it's just the tax. There are no tariffs or duties paid.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Isn't it the other way around?
You can't bring a pin into Canada without paying taxes. Once in Canada, you can take it into the US without taxes, as that's the country it was made in.

That's what I said. Canadian bringing American made product into USA costs nothing. Canadian bringing pin back from states will cost 12% declared value where Iive. You will need receipt with sellers info. Don't get cute with the sale price. Be realistic.

#27 9 years ago

Lots of great advice. Thanks all.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

#28 9 years ago

Interesting thread. My wife and I own a condo in Vancouver, BC. She's a dual citizen and I'm currently only American. I'll be retiring in a few years and spending roughly half of the year in BC. I would like to get a pin or two for the condo and I can see going down to WA to get the games. Any suggestions?

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from abcdelmrs:

Interesting thread. My wife and I own a condo in Vancouver, BC. She's a dual citizen and I'm currently only American. I'll be retiring in a few years and spending roughly half of the year in BC. I would like to get a pin or two for the condo and I can see going down to WA to get the games. Any suggestions?

Get ready to pay taxes. Welcome to Canada.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Get ready to pay taxes. Welcome to Canada.

LOL The prices of things like raw chicken and electronics in BC boggle my mind compared to GA. I'll be making the flight in late August and my wife already has a list of things like hard drives and wireless headphones she wants me to bring up for her family. She drove a U-Haul from GA a few months ago to make it under some sort of deadline from when we purchased the condo to bring things in w/o fees. Unfortunately, she didn't list any pinball machines when she first crossed over maybe two years ago or I'd already have one or two there.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from abcdelmrs:

Move them with your belongings and pay nothing,it's your stuff.
Hide them in the moving truck

#32 9 years ago

The GST and PST should be paid on the game coming into Canada, but the border officers have discretion on things like this, and they can just decide to waive it thru. As an American bringing it in, you have a much better chance of that happening than a Canadian does, still not sure why that is.

Should be no problem for you taking the game back into the states, just have a bill of sale.

#33 9 years ago

Well I just got home. 9 hours of driving and over 800 miles.

Crossing into Canada consisted of
"Are you bringing anything with you into Canada?"
Yes. A pinball machine.
"what's its value?"
$2,500
"Next time you come into Canada you need to have a letter from your wife granting permission to bring your daughter across the border. I'll let it go this time."
Thanks.
"Have a nice day."

Coming back to the U.S.
"What were you doing in Canada?"
Exchanging a pinball machine.
"What did you get?"
Batman Dark Knight.
"What did you get rid of?"
Family guy.
"Have a nice day."

#34 9 years ago

You got off lucky. I had to pay Canadian taxes on my trade bringing it across the border.

#35 9 years ago

I'm glad everything went well going back. I hope you enjoy the BDK, I'm sure enjoying the Family Guy

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I'm glad everything went well going back. I hope you enjoy the BDK, I'm sure enjoying the Family Guy

I'll let you know tomorrow when I have the energy to set it up. Long ass day of driving in the rain!

Glad you're enjoying the Griffin family.

Bring your son over to visit Batman any time.

Mike

#37 9 years ago

I might take you up on that

#38 9 years ago

Once when returning from Seattle driving to Vancouver. The Canada Customs Officer asked us, Are you both Canadian citizens? We replied 'Yes'. He said ok, 'drive on'. 'Thanks', I said.
That was years ago, but we sort of still laugh regarding that quick border stop.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crossing-the-border-for-a-tradeanything-i-need-to-know and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.