• Latest reply 5 years ago by BIG1RED9
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
#1 5 years ago

After the last ball is played the score motor cycles and does not stop.

Help appreciated!
Don

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from BIG1RED9:

After the last ball is played the score motor cycles and does not stop.

Does anything else happen? I don't have a CT schematic, but in looking at my Mayfair I see this make/break on the Last Ball relay (XB) which may be a cause if you have similar.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#3 5 years ago

Just noticed the following
1. No match lights at end of game
2. No free game awarded no matter the score

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from BIG1RED9:

Just noticed the following
1. No match lights at end of game
2. No free game awarded no matter the score

Are both set, ie-Match is plugged in and high score plugs in?

#5 5 years ago

Those were additional symptoms added to the score motor running after the 5th ball. All the labels have bit the dust. If the match is a 2 prong plug just behind the coin box next to a single prong plug that has 5 possibilities, then yes it is plugged in. I see no other options inside the box other than the 3 / 5 ball option. In the back I don't see anything related to the issues.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from BIG1RED9:

Those were additional symptoms added to the score motor running

Best to work on this problem first. Do you have a Last Ball relay?

#7 5 years ago

In a search on this forum someone else having a similar problem was told it would be a match relay or match circuit issue.
I have no understanding of what was shared in that post.
Can’t at the moment copy and paste it.
Out and about

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from BIG1RED9:

I have no understanding of what was shared in that post.

Read Clay's superb guide to EM's so you get a better understanding of their workings and terminology: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

#9 5 years ago

I have been reading info at that sight. Presented in a clear way. Have not yet discovered the particular issue, but leaning towards cleaning contacts and checking for open/close positions.

Here is the post quoted from DirtFlapper a member whom has not been around for several years. Going to focus on gaining an understanding what he is saying and where the parts are.

"On this era of Gottlieb, Game Over is mostly controlled by the Match Relay. If the Match Relay doesn't activate, then it won't reach game over.

Specific to Cross Town though, Game Over ('X') is fed by two switches on the Match Relay ('O'), and switches at score motor 1A and 2C. If 'O' is activating, but 'X' is not, then those are the four places to check.

But if 'O' isn't activating, then need to look into that first. On Cross Town, 'O' is fed by either the 4th and 5th ball trough switches (5-ball play), or the 2nd and 3rd ball trough switches (3-ball play), plus a normally closed 'On Ball Release' switch and a switch at score motor 1C.

The switch at score motor 1C is common to lots of other things, so that's likely working if the rest of the game is working. The 'On Ball Release' switch is often a culprit, as it's in the switch stack there at the ball trough gate, and that switch stack frequently gets bent. The ball trough switches can oxidize and not make good contact too though.

However, since the ball trough gate isn't de-energizing, the Ball Release coil is activated via a switch on the 'Z' (Reset) relay, and then held active via a lock-in switch on the Ball Release switch stack and a normally closed switch on the 10pt relay ('N'). The ball trough gate will stay open and let you keep playing ball 1 until 10 points are scored. Then when the 'N' relay pulls in, that switch is supposed to open and deactivate the Ball Release coil, closing the gate.

So those might be some places to look."

#10 5 years ago

I just had the same issue with my ‘64 World Fair. I’d focus on the switches on the O relay to start. (Like the above post/quote attributed to DirtFlapper so eloquently described)

#11 5 years ago

On Cross Town, there is a "Game-Over" Relay on the bank, (at the base of the cabinet). This relay gets energized through the 4th and 5th ball switches in the trough. It sounds like this circuit is working as the score motor continues to run trying to trip the Game-Over Relay, but it's not tripping. Once tripped, there are 2 switches on this relay that will turn on both the 6v circuit, (match lites), and the 24v circuit, (replay step-up coil if there's a match), as well as another switch that will open to turn off the score motor, and the game will be at rest.

I would locate the Game-Over Relay on the bank, make sure it's tripping and check all of its switches when the relay is in both positions.

If you're not getting replays for any high scores, first, remember the replay counter maxes out at 15 and a free-standing switch opens to keep from winning any more games. Many people don't know or forget they are at 15 games on the counter. If you aren't on 15 games, this same switch has to be closed to win any games at all. You should check it.

#12 5 years ago

I really appreciate all the help!

Given the labels are history, is there a way for me to figure out the relay locations? If its on the schematic, I have part of it and dig it out. If its on the reset bank, could some please tell me where I can find a picture of the relay type and location or some verbal direction would be awesome.

Worst case I clean each of them.

Thank you!
Don

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from BIG1RED9:

Given the labels are history

You can track them down by coil #, wire colors, and location, ie-scoring relays are in the Back Box, Bank will say Bank on schematic, etc.

#14 5 years ago

I have been figuring things out a bit at a time.

I am getting my number match lights and it works with the score - adding a free grame
High score gets a replay
Score motor stops at end of game

Only open item seems to be that when the game is over, while in fact it is, the game over light doesn't come on. No power to that socket.

#15 5 years ago

All issues fixed!! There is a logical and rational approach to these EM machines. Got to love the engineering of it all.

Again, thanks for the help!
Don

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from BIG1RED9:

All issues fixed!!

Well, wadja do?

#17 5 years ago

The match issue and continuous motor running after ball 5 was solved by cleaning and adjusting the match relay "O"
The game over was solved by cleaning and adjusting the game over "X" on the bank
The game over light was solved by cleaning the bulb sockets corrosion

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cross-town-last-ball-does-not-shut-game?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.