Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

81733C1E-6D9C-4851-9062-8A2D321F6CEB (resized).jpeg
    20210823_131021 (resized).jpg
    20210825_101816 (resized).jpg
    20210825_101903 (resized).jpg
    20210825_101731 (resized).jpg
    20210825_101755 (resized).jpg
    20210825_101709 (resized).jpg
    73768B06-E739-475F-A25C-BCC7CB050539 (resized).jpeg
    FF05C32F-401C-4CEB-A2A3-5D4C4134FAF4 (resized).jpeg
    D5B288C7-01AE-408E-96DB-722D16003569 (resized).jpeg
    2B56809A-2724-46C6-A2BF-59BD42696FE6 (resized).jpeg
    275EECB3-5775-477C-82BC-FA7D5A0D8CA0 (resized).jpeg
    DDD699EA-844E-489D-9143-00A1C9F4E323 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Recently. I replaced the coin door on my 66 Cross Town pin. The original door was stripped of all mechanisms and added a push button to start the game. Since there were no coin mechanisms it is set to free play. On the new door I’m going to put it back to original. I basically have everything it needs to function except for the coin mechanism. I’m not sure how the previous owner rigged it for free play, but the credit wheel never goes lower than 1. My question is what does the red button do and what does the silver button do? Currently the red button does nothing and the silver button starts a game, but doesn’t add credits. Any ideas?

DDD699EA-844E-489D-9143-00A1C9F4E323 (resized).jpegDDD699EA-844E-489D-9143-00A1C9F4E323 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

First off, that's a really beautiful restoration. Who did it?

Second, it would be nice to see a shot of the inside of the door. Normally the silver rod is the coin reject rod and the red button starts the game.

Without seeing the inside, a guess would be that they have a coin switch hooked up to the reject rod and pushing that starts the game. It would not add credits, nor would it deduct them.

Does the game add credits for high scores/specials/match?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

First off, that's a really beautiful restoration. Who did it?
    Second, it would be nice to see a shot of the inside of the door. Normally the silver rod is the coin reject rod and the red button starts the game.
    Without seeing the inside, a guess would be that they have a coin switch hooked up to the reject rod and pushing that starts the game. It would not add credits, nor would it deduct them.
    Does the game add credits for high scores/specials/match?

I did the restoration about two years ago and finally got around to the coin door. High scores, match and specials add credits like expected.

275EECB3-5775-477C-82BC-FA7D5A0D8CA0 (resized).jpeg275EECB3-5775-477C-82BC-FA7D5A0D8CA0 (resized).jpeg2B56809A-2724-46C6-A2BF-59BD42696FE6 (resized).jpeg2B56809A-2724-46C6-A2BF-59BD42696FE6 (resized).jpeg
    #4 2 years ago

I can't see where the wiring that goes to the coin mech frame is leading. Does opening the slam switch on the door turn the game off?

So it adds credits. What happens when you hit the reject button with more than one credit on the game. Does it subtract credits?

Not going below 1 on the credit wheel is without a doubt just a switch adjustment on the credit unit. But why the reject rod starts a game but the start button doesn't is weird.

#5 2 years ago

The original set up on "Cross Town" would have dual coin chutes.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The original set up on "Cross Town" would have dual coin chutes.

Yes it did, however it was missing one of the brackets the coin MECH is attached to. I was going to replace it, but PBR didn’t have a dual slot coin plate. I bought the single and thought it would work without the second coin mechanism.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

Yes it did, however it was missing one of the brackets the coin MECH is attached to. I was going to replace it, but PBR didn’t have a dual slot coin plate. I bought the single and thought it would work without the second coin mechanism.

Does the number of pins on the jones plug match the socket on the tilt board?

#8 2 years ago

The small red button is supposed to start a game and subtract a credit. Normally, it will only operate if there are credits on the game, unless it's set to free play.
    The long chrome button is the coin return, but it can be rigged to start the game. The left coin chute will start the game by tripping the coin switch. The right coin chute will add credits via the coin switch, but doesn't normally start the game. The number of credits it adds is set by the jumper on the motor board.

#9 2 years ago

Well I got back to the game tonight and basically it doesn’t start a game. Neither button does anything. I jumped wires at the Jones plug and put it back to the configuration it was in with the added start switch. It started a game but I want to wire it back to original. Can someone take a picture of the wiring and especially the switch for the coin mechanism. I’m not sure I have mine right.
    D5B288C7-01AE-408E-96DB-722D16003569 (resized).jpegD5B288C7-01AE-408E-96DB-722D16003569 (resized).jpeg

FF05C32F-401C-4CEB-A2A3-5D4C4134FAF4 (resized).jpegFF05C32F-401C-4CEB-A2A3-5D4C4134FAF4 (resized).jpeg73768B06-E739-475F-A25C-BCC7CB050539 (resized).jpeg73768B06-E739-475F-A25C-BCC7CB050539 (resized).jpeg
    #10 2 years ago

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the way your coin switch is configured, it won't work on coins. The coin trip wire form should be configured so that it will push against the upper (longer) blade, and close the switch under the weight of a coin. The anti-cheat (heavier) wire form should be configured so that the lower bend is between the two switch blades as in this photo.

20210825_101709 (resized).jpg20210825_101709 (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

Yours looks like it is configured so that pressing the coin return will either start the game or add credits, depending on how your Jones plug is plugged in.
    I asked you how many pins are on your plug.
    For a two-chute game, there are six pins on the plug.

20210825_101731 (resized).jpg20210825_101731 (resized).jpg20210825_101755 (resized).jpg20210825_101755 (resized).jpg
    #12 2 years ago

This is how the switch stack is supposed to be wired.
    The black wire and the multi-striped one go to the normally closed slam switch. If this switch or circuit is open, the game will not power on.
    The orange and brown wires go to the normally open start button.
    It should start the game if the zero position switch on the credit unit is closed. Otherwise, it won't.

20210825_101816 (resized).jpg20210825_101816 (resized).jpg20210825_101903 (resized).jpg20210825_101903 (resized).jpg
    #13 2 years ago

Now normally the game should have dual coin chutes. The left chute should have a blue wire and orange wire on the coin switch. Closing this circuit should start a game, because it's like putting a dime in the coin slot. The right chute should have a green and orange wire on the coin switch. Closing this circuit will add credits, but won't start the game (usually multiple credits for 25c). The number of credits it adds is determined by the small plug and socket inside the game on the motor/relay board. Normally, because there are now credits on the reel, pushing the small start button should start your first game, and subtract a credit.
    Again, depending on the plug your door has, how it's wired, and how it's mated to the female jones connector on the tilt board, will determine if the single chute your game has will either start a game, or add credits.
    One word of caution; the slam switch wiring carries line voltage (110V), so be careful around that circuit.

#14 2 years ago

Looking at your photos again, it looks like the switch stack is wired correctly. The way the coin chute wireforms are rigged, definitely looks like it should close the switch when you push in the coin return rod. That's one way to set a game to free play, but usually I only do this on add-a-ball games (which lack a start button). If you want the game to operate by coin, you'll have to rearrange the wireforms as in my photo, and of course you'll need a 10c coin mech.

#15 2 years ago

JR I want to thank you for your help and knowledge. Your description answered several questions I haven’t gotten around to asking yet. I do have a 6 pin Jones plug and the machine is supposed to have two coin chutes. It’s good to know the door appears to be wired correctly. I do plan to buy and install a 10 cent coin mech. I’ll move that wire actuator to the other side when I get one. For some reason I don’t have power on the brown wire that goes to the red start switch. If I move the blue wire to the brown wire at the start switch it will start a game. So the brown wire is dead for some reason. I suspect I may have caused myself problems by messing with the start and reset relay when I first discovered I had a problem. It’s also possible it is an existing problem that was covered up with the wiring change that added a start switch to the door. I was hoping to work on it more tonight, but other things got in the way. Thanks again for your help.

#16 2 years ago

Check the zero position switch on your credit reel. The brown and orange wires (start button) will only start the game if that switch is closed.

#17 2 years ago

Yes, you say if you move the blue wire to the brown wire position, it will start a game. That's because completing the circuit between the orange wire and the blue wire simulates a coin entering the left chute. This will start a game regardless of whether there are credits on it or not.

#18 2 years ago

Momentarily jumper the green wire to the orange wire. Does it add credits?

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Momentarily jumper the green wire to the orange wire. Does it add credits?

Yes it adds two credits

#20 2 years ago

Ok. So now you have to figure out how the jones plug is wired. If it's stock, then you have to determine which wires go to the coin switch on your single chute; orange and blue (would just start the game), or orange and green (would add credits, and if the zero switch is closed, the small button should start a game and subtract a credit).

#21 2 years ago

From your picture, it looks like orange and green, so your single chute should behave like the right hand chute in the original configuration. Closing the switch should add two credits, but not start the game.

#22 2 years ago

The far left switch of the three in the picture (credit unit) needs to be closed for the small button to start a game. Yours may be dirty or open if the game doesn't start with the small button with credits showing on the reel.

20210823_131021 (resized).jpg20210823_131021 (resized).jpg
    #23 2 years ago

Well I believe I found the problem. I noticed I had continuity on the wires for the coin chute switch. It took awhile before I noticed the switch blade for the green wire has a second blade attached to it that is bent and touching the switch blade for the orange wire. This made the game think it should start a game as soon as I turned power on. Neither button did anything since a game was already started. The clue was if I scored a point the game would automatically reset and start another game. At this point for it to make sense I need to say the green wire on the switch is actually attached to the blue wire since blue is supposed to go to the left single chute. It’s getting too late to actually fix it, but I’m sure that is the problem. Now I need to decide if I really want to deal with a coin mech. Thanks for the help especially the pictures and explanation on how it’s supposed to work. I owe you.

81733C1E-6D9C-4851-9062-8A2D321F6CEB (resized).jpeg81733C1E-6D9C-4851-9062-8A2D321F6CEB (resized).jpeg
    #24 2 years ago

Yup. That'll do it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cross-town-coin-door-function?hl=silverstreak02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.