New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 175065)

Croc clip mods on pins.

By Ratiganpin

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3-connector 2-pin female molex (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Has anyone else had problems with croc clip connection mods on pins? My TAF doesn't seem to like them, I have a couple that work fine, and since buying them i have had two more that just wouldn't work at all from the start.
The machine is fully LED and the screen has been replaced with the lower power colour screen, so it shouldn't be a power problem.

Any advice?

#2 4 years ago

Do they work on other games? Maybe they are 12v when they should be 6v LEDs? You can reverse the clips, that might help. Touch the clips to a 9v battery, do they light?

#3 4 years ago

I have never had an issue with them. I have had mods in place for 10+ years that use them with no issues. However, I only use good quality insulated clips.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I have no doubt that the croc clip mods themselves are fine, but it just seems that my machine doesn't want to play ball with them.
The first croc clip mod that wouldn't work was a G.I. connection, and I now have a shooter lane mod that connects to one of THE POWER flasher units by croc clips on TAF, but in both cases, no response whatsover.
Are there any common issues with the pinball machines that can cause incompatability with the croc connections?

#5 4 years ago

So you are permanently attaching mods with alligator clips to power sources??? yikes, i would not recommend that and yes i could see problems from that.

I would get a secondary switch mode power supply and put it on the mains after the cabinet switch. Then properly terminate the connectors to it. That way you are not stressing the original power supply and connecting things with gator clips.

Something like this.
ebay.com link » Ac110 220v To Dc 5v 12v 24v Switch Power Supply Driver Adapter For Led Strip

you can get ones with multiple voltages like +5 and +12v

#6 4 years ago

P.S. I just tried Lermods suggestion to try the clips on a 9v battery, and the mod lights up perfectly. Yet when connected to the flasher prongs, nothing. yet the flasher lights work fine.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

P.S. I just tried Lermods suggestion to try the clips on a 9v battery, and the mod lights up perfectly. Yet when connected to the flasher prongs, nothing. yet the flasher lights work fine.

One leg of the flasher sinks low to get turned on, the other leg is always hot. So you are probably missing the supply side from whatever power supply you are trying to use if it works with a 9v battery.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

One leg of the flasher sinks low to get turned on, the other leg is always hot. So you are probably missing the supply side from whatever power supply you are trying to use if it works with a 9v battery.

What he said! Try another socket and/or reverse the clips. By touching it to a 9v battery, at least you know the LEDs work. However, the mod may be wired improperly and may not have been wired properly to run off dc current. It may have the resistor wired incorrectly or may not have one at all, or the LEDs are the wrong type.

#9 4 years ago

I'm new to owning a pin as I finally got round to buying the TAF i've always wanted back in February, so I'm learning as I go. Some of the mods I've bought have croc clips, whereas others I've bought have had molex adapters, which I've been happier with. Are the molex connectors better than using croc clips, or can they still cause problems?

#10 4 years ago

Molex connectors are definitely better when they are available for a specific mod. They are very easy to install. I always list the type of connections that my mods use. Those that use clips include enough wire that if desired you could cut the clip off and solder which would provide a better connection. But again, never had an issue, it is up to you which way to go. A lot of people are not comfortable doing that so I always provide easy connections.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

Are the molex connectors better than using croc clips, or can they still cause problems?

Let's not get too confused here. The alligator clips do not "cause problems" and are fine for people to use in a machine. The problems might be that they fall off over time and need to be reattached. It's not like you install a mod with these and your machine blows up because it used alligator clips. My guess is your mods are not working because the leds in the mods are polarized and you have the clips on backwards.

#12 4 years ago

When you say the clips are 'on backwards' do you mean the + and - are on the wrong way round, therefore to clip them to the prongs the opposite way to what is shown in the instructions?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

So you are permanently attaching mods with alligator clips to power sources??? yikes, i would not recommend that and yes i could see problems from that.

I would not recommend using alligator clips as a permanent connector. When they slip off they can cause things to short and might cause issues. I have seen them fall off due to vibration and cause blown fuses and sometimes board issues. I always solder or use a connector to attach mods. Just much better piece of mind IMO than worrying when it will vibrate off and blow something.
Also, the connection from an alligator clip might not be as solid as if it is attached with a connector or soldered. so the mod might not work consistently depending on if the connection is tight.

Phoebe

#14 4 years ago

I totally see your point there. The first few mods I bought were Croc clip and they stay permanently on. The first few worked fine, then i had one that just wouldnt work, so the supplier incorperated it into another mod via molex. I bought some more that were interactive with game play, and they were all molex, which I much prefer. This one I'm having trouble with now is also interactive, so I thought it would also be a molex, but alas, dratted Croc clips again! And aparrantly this one can't be changed to molex.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Let's not get too confused here. The alligator clips do not "cause problems" and are fine for people to use in a machine. The problems might be that they fall off over time and need to be reattached. It's not like you install a mod with these and your machine blows up because it used alligator clips. My guess is your mods are not working because the leds in the mods are polarized and you have the clips on backwards.

I thoroughly disagree that a gator clip should be used as a permanent connection. You are just asking for trouble. What happens when it falls off and lands on something else? Terminate connections properly.

I cringe at mods connected with gator clips.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

I totally see your point there. The first few mods I bought were Croc clip and they stay permanently on. The first few worked fine, then i had one that just wouldnt work, so the supplier incorperated it into another mod via molex. I bought some more that were interactive with game play, and they were all molex, which I much prefer. This one I'm having trouble with now is also interactive, so I thought it would also be a molex, but alas, dratted Croc clips again! And aparrantly this one can't be changed to molex.

You don't need to change them to molex. Cut the gator clips off and solder the ends to an appropriate connection. ( G.i. bulb tab, etc.)

#17 4 years ago

But if the mod won't work at all with the Croc clips, am I correct in thinking it still won't work if I try soldering it to the tabs?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

But if the mod won't work at all with the Croc clips, am I correct in thinking it still won't work if I try soldering it to the tabs?

Well, yes. Soldering is only making a better connection, but it would be the same connection.

#19 4 years ago

on a related note, does anyone make a 3-way z-connector?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

what exactly do you mean?
a 3-pin z-connector?
or a length of 2-conductor wire with 3 z-connectors in-line (2 male and 1 female) or (2 female and 1 male) z-connectors? (eg. one on each end and another in the middle to patch into it?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

what exactly do you mean?
a 3-pin z-connector?
or a length of 2-conductor wire with 3 z-connectors in-line (2 male and 1 female) or (2 female and 1 male) z-connectors? (eg. one on each end and another in the middle to patch into it?

Pretty sure Pinball life has 3 pin z connectors

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

the easiest way that I can think is to do the following, is to construct the following using 4 lengths of 22 awg wire, 6 crimp connectors and 3 2-pin molex type female connectors. add male z-connectors as necessary
3-connector 2-pin female molex (resized).jpg

2-pin male z connectors
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2095

2-pin molex type female connector housing and crimp connectors
ebay.com link » 10pcs Ch3 96 2p 3 96mm 2pin Header Terminal Housing Connector Kits Straight

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Pretty sure Pinball life has 3 pin z connectors

they don't. only 2 and 4-pin connectors

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

Get your mod working first with the clips, then if you want consider changing the connection. Personally, I've never had an issue with a clip falling off, it's not like the playfield is being slammed down. Just make sure any extra wire is secure so it doesn't catch anything.

#25 4 years ago

Ali clips don't always make the best connection either.. but I'd switch the polarity as suggested and if that does not work try a different connection point

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the easiest way that I can think is to do the following, is to construct the following using 4 lengths of 22 awg wire, 6 crimp connectors and 3 2-pin molex type female connectors. add male z-connectors as necessary

2-pin male z connectors
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2095
2-pin molex type female connector housing and crimp connectors
ebay.com link » 10pcs Ch3 96 2p 3 96mm 2pin Header Terminal Housing Connector Kits Straight

That's a pretty good idea. I was hoping there was a T-shape 2-pin connector already made to replace the z-connector.

Considered getting a 4-pin z-connector and jumping the pins on one side

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Get your mod working first with the clips, then if you want consider changing the connection. Personally, I've never had an issue with a clip falling off, it's not like the playfield is being slammed down. Just make sure any extra wire is secure so it doesn't catch anything.

Same here. I have them on my personal machines on purpose to teat and I nudge my machines hard. They don't come off

#28 3 years ago

And no one has ever had a soldered wire come off?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Allentown, PA
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 11.00
$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 35.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 999.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 19.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Wanted
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Knoxville, TN

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside