Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimeWarp1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

I did some more crimping with the HT-225D from Amazon last night on the GI connectors on a 90s Bally/Williams game and did not quite have a good experience. I'm thinking about returning the crimp and trying to find another.
    I think those wires are 22 gauge -- they're definitely small. I was using the 18-22 gauge jaw of the crimp, and neither the crimp on the wire nor the insulation was as good as I hoped. After crimping as tight as I possibly could, you could generally wiggle the connector and it would slide up down a little bit on both the wire and insulation. Some terminals pulled right off...
    I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, I'm thinking that the crimp just isn't quite the right tool for the job. I tried crimping one pin with the smaller jaw (24-30 gauge or something...), but the squeeze was so tight that the terminal got stuck in the crimp and needed to be pried out.
    Terminals are .156" Trifurcon Crimp Terminals from Pinball Life. I don't think they're to blame at all.
    Also, because it's worth mentioning, yes I have spent hours reading and studying http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/
    Anyone have a different experience with this crimp?

I picked up the HT-225 ratchet crimpers and have a somewhat similar experience. My pin is a Williams System 6 (Time Warp) and I repinned all the connectors on the power supply board. For the double upped wires it was totally awesomesauce. Felt very secure and solid. For the single smaller gauge wires I felt the crimp could have been better especially on the insulation. I found that if I tugged a decent amount I could rip the crimp apart. To be honest though I felt as though the smaller gauge single wires are 22 AWG and I only had the 18-20 AWG Trifurcon contacts and so maybe that was part of the issue (Ed at GPE sells both 18-20 and 22-26 AWG trifurcon crimps; I'm guessing PBL only sells the 18-20 and maybe that may be the cause of the poor crimps). I gave a few of these a slight tug in the connector and they didn't just fall out so that was good. The only way I could give the HT-225 a definite yay or nay is if I could test out the single smaller gauge wires with the 22-26 AWG trifurcon contacts. I have a feeling it won't make much of a difference seeing as the crimp die only goes so far no matter the size of the contact unless I try to use the 22-26 AWG contact in the 24-30 AWG die slot but again that may just mash it to bits. If that is the case I'd probably go with the 1026-CT/BCT-1.

Update 6/4/2015: I finally got around to testing the HT-225 with the smaller 22-26 AWG contacts from great plains and this ratchet crimper rocks big time now. I use the smaller gauge contacts on single wires and the larger ones on the 'doubled up' wires and this crimper does both great!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimeWarp1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crimpers?tu=TimeWarp1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.