Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Fanatic
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

good2.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I'm replacing some flaky IDC connectors on my HH displays with Molex/trifurcon. Some of the IDC connectors are wired in series, so that the wires do not terminate at the display but instead continue on to another display. Is there a proper way to replace these?

I'm guessing I cut the wire where the IDC bites it, strip two ends, and crimp them both into one pin... but I know there's a lot of rules about properly terminating connections. Wanted to make sure this is OK before I cut these wires.

(NOTE: I'm not talking about a pin that loops to another pin in the same connector, I mean two connectors in series on the same wiring)

#6 10 years ago

Thanks everyone. The connectors I'm rebuilding are 19-pin so it's gonna take me a while to pigtail those things, but it seems the proper way. I think there's enough slack wire that I can make it all the same color to the pin. If I do that and keep the lengths correct it should look pretty clean.

Thanks for that link Fanatic. I had the same concerns after reading the pinrepair connector guide. I had no idea there was so much to proper crimping.

good2.gifgood2.gif

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Any good wiring tutorial vids around?

What are you looking to do exactly?

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Order extra pins and practice your crimps before you do the actual repair.
    Look at them and pull on them to make sure they are tight and not bowed.
    You will also want to replace the male pins on the board at the same time.

Will do, thanks!

No male pins, these are for edge connectors in a Sys80. Should I reflow those? Or only if I still have problems?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crimp-question-two-wires-in-one-pin?tu=radium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.