(Topic ID: 115560)

Crescendo, getting funky 'wit it! Customized 'resto'. Pic heavy!

By Frax

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150323_011028.jpg
20150323_010830.jpg
FB_IMG_1426975085388.jpg
FB_IMG_1426974993692.jpg
20150311_165143.jpg
20150311_165202.jpg
20150311_165149.jpg
20150311_165122.jpg
20150311_165042.jpg
20150311_165024.jpg
20150311_164949.jpg
2015-02-07 06.29.03.jpg
20150127_101713.jpg
20150126_185420.jpg
353723-i.jpg
20150126_184738.jpg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

no need to paint the holes. Nobody will every see it, and as soon as you put the first screw in, they are back. I only sand them flat and paint the holes for the customers that want level 3 restorations. Even then. You block sand after the first layer of clear. Repaint them, and they rebreak after the 2nd layer of clear because of the mound.

1 week later
#52 9 years ago

Movin' along...no pics but everything has been loosed off the back of the old playfield now... need to figure out getting the rails off the old playfield and onto the new one before I go any further.. :\

#53 9 years ago

I'd love to see a pic of the finished playfield under UV light.

#54 9 years ago

Oh, I did test the sockets in the old playfield....the UV LEDs I bought will fit the light bulb sockets in MOST locations, if not all, so I expect to have fairly even UV coverage of the playfield.

#55 9 years ago

Startin to get a bit real in here...

FB_IMG_1426974993692.jpgFB_IMG_1426974993692.jpg FB_IMG_1426975085388.jpgFB_IMG_1426975085388.jpg
#56 9 years ago

Okay, so rails and everything on the backside of the PF is secured to the new PF now, aside from flipper and pop bumper mechs. I'm rebuilding and learning as I go, the flipper mechs especially are a new beast to me.. Having to punch out the roll pin and re-insert it (Which is completely infuriating because I don't have a press of any kind... all I can do is find anything flat with a small hole and try and hammer the sucker through..) is a PITA. It's clear that at some point I will need to find a better way to deal with roll/spring pins.. =\

At any rate what's left for the playfield:

Assemble rebuilds for 5 pop bumpers including bodies and new lamp sockets.
Assemble rebuild for 1 flipper.
Resolder and staple common wire braids (decided to wait to do this, as it was not possible to accurately re-use identical path of the original braid due to different staple positions and some user incompetence. )
Align flippers
Assemble top side posts, plastics, arch, trough.

I'm really hoping to be done with the playfield tonight. I need to pull out the bottom board and clean out the cabinet badly, attach a new power cord, and then see if I can fix the ball count unit. I'm not 100% sure that I can get this thing 100% before TPF, but it's such a basic game, as long as it plays well on the playfield, starts, advances balls and players correctly, resets the drops, and ends a game, I'm not really sure I give a crap if it scores right before TPF or not.

#58 9 years ago

AMAZING WORK!! Love the outcome.

Though, this pic looks very phallic.

#59 9 years ago

Have a bigger set of pin punches. The trouble is getting the pin re-inserted into the pawl and the linkage. =\

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

AMAZING WORK!! Love the outcome.
Though, this pic looks very phallic.

See what you want... freudian slip? Someone else mentioned it as well....

Dunno about you guys, I don't have 4 nuts.. looks more like a 4-eyed angry face to me.

#61 9 years ago

4 nuts is the way of the future bro...

#62 9 years ago

don't know if you've tried a little C clamp to press pins back in, for some stuff it works great.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

don't know if you've tried a little C clamp to press pins back in, for some stuff it works great.

Nope, that's a good idea though if only to get the pin flush with the other side of the bushing. Nice.

#64 9 years ago

Not real sure this is going to make it to TPF..

So far issues I know of, we had the playfield mostly back together last night and back in the cabinet to put the apron/arch back on, wire guides and so forth..I'm kind of making this as a hitlist for when I get home today.. I have the next two days off to work on this but man..

1. Two controlled lamps on left side not soldered in to common braid.

2. Most lamps on bottom half of playfield seem really dim....brand new lamps..

3. "ball in play" lamps not behaving correctly.

4. Coining 25 cent mech does *nothing*.

5. Start button does not work.

6. Coining 10 cent mech in center chute starts a game?

7. Game will not score "Lit Flower Value" at all.

8. Ball count unit does not advance properly.

9. Fairly sure credit reel does not advance at all.

10. Drop target bank does not reset after all targets down, and drops don't go down all the way leaving the score motor running until they're manually pushed down.

#65 9 years ago

Current state..

20150323_010830.jpg20150323_010830.jpg 20150323_011028.jpg20150323_011028.jpg
#66 9 years ago

YVMW Frax, (you're very much welcome) and.. you can go further than flush by lining up a little nut, its thread hole a little larger than the pin, and push it through some more. roll pins are frustrating if you dont know little tricks. small piece of steel to the top of a pin (even pliers laid flat), smack that instead of the pin itself reduces a lot of damage to the roll pin when putting it to needed depth.

#67 9 years ago

Well, take Crescendo off the TPF list. Barring some kind of EM miracle happening, and EM Santa Free Tech coming to fix my game.... it's not going. I went to get some parts, came back, screwed down the last stuff on the playfield, tried to get an active game set up (keeping in mind I've NEVER been able to properly start a game... I was able to start a game by activating the middle coin chute....and it always started the game right away for some reason) so I could test play it and adjust the flippers and pop bumper switches before delving into the many many scoring issues and lighting issues....and now the piece of sh-t won't do a damn thing. I've got no flippers, no pops, no scoring at all anymore, no ball kickout, it won't coin up or start a game in any way that I am familiar with. It doesn't work.

I'm so unbelievably pissed off I do not have the motivation to work on it any longer. It's caused me to lose 40+ hours of sleep already in the last week trying to get it ready to go, and now this.. I'm done. F--k this game. It looks beautiful lit up, I am EXTREMELY disappointed.

#68 9 years ago

ouch, had a few projects go like that.
why does microsoft call it windows (and which one do I pitch it out of!)?

RAID could make a fortune if they made a spray for friggin electrical gremlins.

#69 9 years ago

Crescendo went to TPF. Startup sequence was fixed by Jeff Frick and Brandon Whittle...mad respect for diagnostic skills there, and I found a new use for jumpers too. It ran solid all weekend except for one score reel sticking and had to be manually reset twice...amazing. Had the UV LEDs in there enough to see some of the effect, and the pink glo-ball played AWESOME in it too!

6 months later
#70 8 years ago

I'm drinking and playing this thing right now. I can't wait to get some video of this beast in action, now that I have the proper PC and webcams to do it..

3 years later
#71 5 years ago

Bloody hell, someone turned my playfield into a VPX table! *AWESOME*! If someone can find me a download link I'd appreciate it..I'm not real big on the emulator side of things, but it's hilarious to me that someone took my specific game to model!

#72 5 years ago

Mystery solved.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crescendo-getting-funky-wit-it-customized-resto-pic-heavy/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.