IMG_3502 (resized).JPG
IMG_3493 (resized).JPG
IMG_3495 (resized).JPG
IMG_3497 (resized).JPG
IMG_3498 (resized).JPG
IMG_3504 (resized).JPG
IMG_3505 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Friends, Need some advice on a Creech I found. A little background - seller is a non pinsider and a former operator. Had game in his home for some time. Advertised as "in great shape, but having an issue with ball trough switch". Obviously upon my arrival I learned there are several other issues. Some details

- Game powers up.
- DMD looks crisp and clear.
- When start button is hit, the game doesnt recognize balls in trough.
- In switch edge test, several switches didnt register (slingshots, shooter lane, a couple roll over lanes, flipper buttons dont fire).
- In solonoid test, you can fire the flippers and EOS, and pops.
- Motor for hologram worked, but the "projector" that creates the Creech image did not work.
- Sound test registered good,
- Playfield looked pretty good, but i have included pics, is this planking in the pic?
- Inserts did not show a ton of wear, did not feel raised to the touch
- Scoop hole had pretty significant wear, is this normal or worse than average?
- Lamps and flashers all worked in test
- Cabinet decent, minimal wear, except near the flipper buttons. Pretty bad there (see pic)
- Most importantly - appears to have some green fuzz on those diodes right below those leaky batteries.

What would you pay for this machine?

I have a good amount of experience with mechanical issues, but still have not done board work. I assume the battery damage would be best dealt with by sending out to an expert?

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_3505 (resized).JPGIMG_3505 (resized).JPG

IMG_3504 (resized).JPGIMG_3504 (resized).JPG

IMG_3498 (resized).JPGIMG_3498 (resized).JPG

IMG_3497 (resized).JPGIMG_3497 (resized).JPG

IMG_3495 (resized).JPGIMG_3495 (resized).JPG

IMG_3493 (resized).JPGIMG_3493 (resized).JPG

IMG_3502 (resized).JPGIMG_3502 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

I hate to say it, but that might be the worst scoop wear on a CFTBL that I've seen. The scoop hole is supposed to be square (see pic), so that leading edge is supposed to be flat. It's worn into a round shape here. This worn shape would make a frustrating shot much easier to hit though.

There is also planking on the playfield as you noted.

The "FILM" plastic is also broken above the scoop, and there are other plastics which you'll probably find broken or missing. Bay Area Amusement was selling a bunch, if not all of the plastics, individually recently, which was nice for restoring a machine.

As you noted on the board, you have some acid damage that can lead to some wonky behavior. You'll want to fix that, and may have to send it out to one of the board repair gurus who have experience with acid damage repair.

The hologram is also expensive to get going and it's a cool feature you'll want. You'll probably have 2 choices here: 1.) Mike D will most likely be producing more of his hologram video mods in the near future and people love it for good reason as it's way cool. As of now they're not available, unless you find an uninstalled one for sale. 2.) A reproduction hologram is out there, but is quite pricey. You'll most likely end up spending several hundred on either option.

I'd hate to exceed 3 grand on this one, due to the above issues, as I'd feel the need to replace (or restore if possible) the playfield and it's components. However, the game is popular and there is a demand for it, so maybe I'm off base. I'd like to hear from other Pinsiders.

Scoop (resized).jpgScoop (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

The battery corrosion has gotten on the switch chip and is why things are not working more than likely..... cld be fixed but for how long who knows. I personally wldnt pay more than 3k for it bc of board , checking /planking and how much you will need to put into it to make it nice.You can get a nice one all working for around 4200

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The hologram is also expensive to get going and it's a cool feature you'll want. You'll probably have 2 choices here: 1.) Mike D will most likely be producing more of his hologram video mods in the near future and people love it for good reason as it's way cool. As of now they're not available, unless you find an uninstalled one for sale. 2.) A reproduction hologram is out there, but is quite pricey. You'll most likely end up spending several hundred on either option.

Thanks. So this sounds like it is more complicated than just replacing a bulb in the "projector" near the back bottom of cabinet?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Thanks. So this sounds like it is more complicated than just replacing a bulb in the "projector" near the back bottom of cabinet?

Most likely. I have no doubt the bulb is bad, but the hologram itself tends to degrade over time. However, not all holograms degrade at the same rate. Some original holograms like mine are still green, or greenish blue, which is acceptable to me. Environmental conditions seem to factor into how quickly (or slowly) the holograms degrade. They start off as a vibrant green, then start turning blue, then they seem to darken to the point of turning black.

Illinois Pinball made some replacement holograms several years ago. Some of these seemed to degrade even while in storage, and they would turn red when doing so. I suppose this may have been a chemical reaction due to the manufacturing process of those reproduction holograms.

You can get a bright flashlight and open the coindoor and shine the light on the hologram to see if it shows up in the window. If it does, that's a good sign. If it doesn't, the hologram is toast or missing altogether.

#6 7 years ago

Would 3 grand be fair? Or would you aim a bit lower?

Also wondering if there is a repro playfield out there for this title? Been doing a bit of googling but not finding one.

Thanks for help.

#7 7 years ago

there has been the odd thread where people are looking for a playfield, going to be tough

if you look into a playfield restoration cost this could be saved and could be a great machine once again - it is worth saving if you can get for the right price.

what country are you in as then people can give you a rough price range.. have a look at pinpedia as a rough guide of what is around and prices..
http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/Creature

check out this video of Dirni's restoration with the snackbar hole having some wear.

#8 7 years ago

I would aim for $3000US maximum.

You could turn this into a working player's quality machine with some extra outlay of a few hundred on top if you sent the board out for repair and gave the machine a shop out yourself whilst leaving the cabinet/playfield largely as is.

The condition of the hologram is the unknown factor in this valuation.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks guys. I am in the USA. That is a great video Swinks!

Seller is listing for $3500, but I dont think i will go there. May offer $2800. Always have been interested in this title, but good to know rarity of the hologram, and sounds like the playfield is in below average condition. Seems these issues are very hard to correct.

#10 7 years ago

I have a transparent green creature suspended under the playfield to replace the holo and relocated the holo lamp up to him and now he lights up for a total of $50 so don't let that deter you.

cabinet is decent, board service won't be heaps - max a few hundred and you can be up and playing for very little.

playfield can be restored back to square with some craftmanship and a cliffy or convert to a custom unique curved one but that will then always pull the price down. Agree with pinsanity though, fun game.

#11 7 years ago

Your price of $2800 is very fair in this condition. If he won't do it, walk away. DO NOT get emotionally tied up on this one. You'll more than likely regret it.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Your price of $2800 is very fair in this condition. If he won't do it, walk away. DO NOT get emotionally tied up on this one. You'll more than likely regret it.

Agreed .... to many nice ones for 4-5k

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

there has been the odd thread where people are looking for a playfield, going to be tough
if you look into a playfield restoration cost this could be saved and could be a great machine once again - it is worth saving if you can get for the right price.
what country are you in as then people can give you a rough price range.. have a look at pinpedia as a rough guide of what is around and prices..
http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/Creature
check out this video of Dirni's restoration with the snackbar hole having some wear.
» YouTube video

Cool!

#14 7 years ago

. The way prices are you're winning at 3500.

#15 7 years ago

That machine has seen more plays than any CREECH I've ever come across. Too many issues there IMO. I would wait for a nicer one to pop up. There are a bunch out there.

#16 7 years ago

Buy it.you will not get a cheaper one this is cftbl people we live in the time where new is going to be 20,000 soon lol

#17 7 years ago

$2500 max. That game needs a ton of work.

Don't offer 2800. You'll end up paying over 3000 for a total piece of crap.

#18 7 years ago

Good luck dude. For what it's worth, I recently bought an ok-condition creech for 4K - as it turns out I paid WAY too much. Scratched glass, wrong legs (stern legs!), couple switches didn't work, hologram was just a greenish blob, scoop hole wear, gross Mylar on the PF clearly installed over top of dirt and damage.

I'm relatively inexperienced so this was an expensive lesson in knowing what to look for. What I'm saying is, if you can find THAT much wrong with it, there's probably more. I'm with Levi - go in as low as you can and figure out your max; sounds like 2800 but be realistic about everything you'll want to fix. Once you get it working you'll likely want to get it in really great shape.. Which means $$$

#19 7 years ago

Seller is dreaming at asking 3500. I could see 2500 to 2700 based on what you say and pics.
Mike

#20 7 years ago

2500$

#21 7 years ago

That games in rough shape, I wouldn't pay the asking price for all the reasons folks have stated. Repro playfields can be found but are generally more expensive than others. For $3k I'd consider but not much more. Creech is a great game though.

#22 7 years ago

I think 25-2800 is in the ballpark. I would be worried about the battery acid that's getting to the board. The green fuzz is acid buildup. It looks complete. Hopefully it's just the bulb for the hologram. I bought mine 2 years ago for 4200 with a mint playfield and he ihad nstalled the the Mickey D tv mod as the original hologram was non op. This game is pretty AWSOME love the theme and the game play. Definitely the color did is a must, Looks great with color

#23 7 years ago

Well, thanks everyone.

I offered 3k. Only because I want this title pretty badly. I got the "Let me think about it", which means "let me hold out for a better offer". But I told him I need to know by mid day.

I am going to hold tight tho at 3K. I'm in Colorado, and I get the feeling prices are higher here than mid west, and east coast. Colorado is more like California as far as prices go. So we'll see. honestly, it's over priced at 3500, but I will be depressed if he gets his asking price.

#24 7 years ago

The number 1 thing about this pin would be playfield planking! If it did not have signs of that, easy decision. With that being said, if you want to keep it then $2,500 would be my value. Good luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creech-help-what-would-you-pay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.