View topic image gallery

571379AE-4DE5-4680-98E0-B2230A67595D (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
World Series Zero position Replay Unit switch (resized).jpg
D3B1700A-DF18-4E24-8037-7CE115A1A1DB (resized).jpeg
CF1F6334-9BE7-4AE5-91C9-B7FF5D8E0333 (resized).jpeg
AC572FB2-934B-4F9E-90E1-F576A6ECA2D9 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

I just finished restoring the back assembly on my 1962 Williams World Series. In powering it up to test it, I found that the credit unit starts at “-1”. It is a blank spot, two positions before the number 1. I was wondering if anyone could provide a sanity check on that as compared to their machine.

I took a few videos. If at position 1, I can reset the machine “for free”. Same If at position “0” at which point it decrements again. At that new position I am calling -1, I can’t reset the game and have to load a credit before I can reset.

It feels “off by 1” but I don’t understand how that can be given the “keying” of the gear unit and the reel. Any advice appreciated.

First video shows me repeatedly resetting:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g1WNChHq7FFT3e59Nd-0bKfGHl5oyyXR/view?usp=drivesdk

Second video shows me loading the first credit but still being at 0 position.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13M4DNK_GrxjKR_2afOzmvYr_gTnnYWfi/view?usp=drivesdk

#2 1 year ago

There is a Zero Position switch on the Replay or Credit Unit that keeps the game from starting when there are no credits. It sounds like your Zero Position switch is adjusted so that it opens not at zero but at -1.

The switch is likely activated by a pin mounted to the gear that moves the credit wheel. There's closeup video of a Gottlieb Credit Unit and its Zero Position switch at:
https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards#CreditUnit
It'll be similar to yours.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

That’s actually a great point I hadn’t thought of. Even though the gears and reel are keyed, if the switch is slightly maladjusted it could trigger one click too late. Let me see if I can prove that out and it should be a simple fix.

#4 1 year ago

So I took a closer look, and it seems like the switch is correct. @gutz, or @steveintexas, or anyone else with this machine - could you give me a quick sanity check. If the credit wheel shows “1”, I get the gap shown in the first photo. If I decrement by one I get the second photo. If I decrement again I get the third photo.

Also, I notice after the second decrement (my so called “-1” position), that I can’t decrement further due to the flat spot in the gear. So it really seems like that is supposed to be the “final position”.

AC572FB2-934B-4F9E-90E1-F576A6ECA2D9 (resized).jpegAC572FB2-934B-4F9E-90E1-F576A6ECA2D9 (resized).jpegCF1F6334-9BE7-4AE5-91C9-B7FF5D8E0333 (resized).jpegCF1F6334-9BE7-4AE5-91C9-B7FF5D8E0333 (resized).jpegD3B1700A-DF18-4E24-8037-7CE115A1A1DB (resized).jpegD3B1700A-DF18-4E24-8037-7CE115A1A1DB (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago

One other thing worth noting - when this machine worked during my childhood I remember it being “free to play”. That said, I’ve yet to locate where they enabled that. Also, I seem to remember that it used to clear all “free credits” when you hit the reset button. Either of those could have just been the machine not working 100% correctly. It now seems to handle the free credits correctly, but doesn’t actually default to free play.

I’m restoring the base assembly in the main cabinet next, so maybe that will reveal more.

#6 1 year ago

The upper switch in the stack in your photos is the Zero R.P. S.U. (Replay Step Unit) position make/break switch:
World Series Zero position Replay Unit switch (resized).jpgWorld Series Zero position Replay Unit switch (resized).jpg
In your 2nd photo, one of the switch stack screws isn't tight. If both screws were tight I wonder if the whole switch stack might rotate slightly counter clockwise. If so, that might make your Zero position switch operate at zero instead of -1.

The flat spot or missing tooth on the gear is usually used as an upper mechanical limit, not a lower limit. The lower mechanical limit is usually set by a stubby pin mounted to the gear between the gear and the frame.

#7 1 year ago

Mark - very keen eye . I actually loosened that screw to use a little play to try to adjust the switch to trip at 0. Nothing I did there seemed “organic”. If I tighten it down and everything is square, it seems to want to trip at -1.

Also… you are right about the lower stop. It’s not the flat part of the gear - it’s a peg on the back side of the gear that catches on a metal plate. In any case, that stop catches at -1 as well.

#8 1 year ago

If the zero position switch and the peg agree on the zero position then maybe the number wheel is off. The peg would be pretty hard to get out of adjustment.

#9 1 year ago

I agree with MarkG that the credit wheel might be off. Does the credit wheel have slotted holes for adjustment?

#10 1 year ago

The credit wheel has an oval-like slot, meaning it only mounts two ways (180 degrees apart). So you don’t really have fine adjustment. I thought after marks first response that maybe it was adjustable but it isn’t.

#11 1 year ago

Anyone have the same system or assembly to compare on. My next step would be to pull the assembly out and take it apart, but would love a sanity check first

#12 1 year ago

I would try to increase the thickness of the pin and minimal switch adjustment.

#13 1 year ago

Is it possible that when the game came to you, it did not have the original credit wheel? Perhaps someone replaced a damaged wheel with one from another game that wasn't quite the same?

#14 1 year ago

Thanks guys. Gonna take it out and give it a closer look to make sure I’m not missing something.

Regarding original credit wheel - my dad acquired this system sometime in the early 70s and it has been in the family since. I don’t think any major mods were done, though it doesn’t mean it’s impossible that it isn’t the original credit wheel. We had the machine repaired in the mid 90s and it could have been swapped.

#15 1 year ago

Try moving some (1, 2 or all 3) of these switches from under their mounting plate to above.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#16 1 year ago

alkregha did you manage to resolve this issue as I have the exact problem on my 1974 Super-Flite. Cheers

#17 1 year ago

I have not resolved it yet but had a potential theory. In taking apart another stepper I remembered there are two hex set screws on the gear mechanism. The credit wheel was the first stepper I ever took apart and at the time i thought I needed to free these. If you loosen those, is it possible to rotate the gearing (or keying of the center post) by one position ? Maybe I accidentally did that.

571379AE-4DE5-4680-98E0-B2230A67595D (resized).jpeg571379AE-4DE5-4680-98E0-B2230A67595D (resized).jpeg

#18 1 year ago

I think that could explain it. Loosening the set screws would let you change the relationship between the peg on the gear (to the right of the set screws in your photo) which usually determines the reset position, and the flat faces on the shaft (bottom of the photo) which determine the position of the credit wheel.

Note that the set screws let you fix the gear in any position so it's not a matter of being one position off, just not being in the right position. If you decide to loosen the set screws again you should be able to see where the set screws originally bit into the shaft, and likely where they bit into the shaft if you moved the gear some.

#19 1 year ago

Thanks Mark! When I get a moment to remove this from the system I’ll try to check it and report back !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/credit-unit-two-spots-below-1?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.