(Topic ID: 320703)

Credit Card via PayPal

By SFBP36

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Has anyone sold a pin and had the buyer pay with a credit card via PayPal? A potential buyer offered to do this but I have very little experience with PayPal. I told him cash on the glass and he said he’s short due to other expenses he has, but could buy it on credit. Scam?

Any fees associated with something like this? Would he have some sort of buyer protection where he could pay, take the pin, then get the money back?

Thanks all.

#2 1 year ago

Yes you could get scammed that way, don't chance it.

#4 1 year ago

Any transaction with a credit card can be reversed, even if done through Paypal. Avoid it for a high amount like this.

#5 1 year ago

RUN. AWAY. NOW.

#6 1 year ago

PayPal is going to side with a buyer 95% of the time even in non credit card cases. I would (and do) stay away from PayPal in general. Cash on the glass all day every day.

#7 1 year ago

PayPal sucks !

#8 1 year ago

DONE. Thanks all for affirming my hunch.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from SFBP36:

he said he’s short due to other expenses he has, but could buy it on credit. Scam?

Tell him go get a cash advance on his credit card and give you the cash. He won’t, because it’s a scam.

There is zero reason for you to be involved in his credit transaction.

#10 1 year ago

Hard pass.

Cash or no deal.

#11 1 year ago

I had a buyer do exactly that; solder pin and he paid with Paypal, then several months later claimed unauthorized purchase and Paypal did a charge back on his credit card and took my payment away. I will NEVER accept Paypal for a purchase again.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I had a buyer do exactly that; solder pin and he paid with Paypal, then several months later claimed unauthorized purchase and Paypal did a charge back on his credit card and took my payment away. I will NEVER accept Paypal for a purchase again.

Just to add, sellers have 180 days (6 months!) to file a dispute with paypal.

#13 1 year ago

Thanks all.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from SFBP36:

Has anyone sold a pin and had the buyer pay with a credit card via PayPal? A potential buyer offered to do this but I have very little experience with PayPal. I told him cash on the glass and he said he’s short due to other expenses he has, but could buy it on credit. Scam?
    Any fees associated with something like this? Would he have some sort of buyer protection where he could pay, take the pin, then get the money back?
    Thanks all.

I’m in the market for a used Rick and Morty. I want to use PayPal for buyer protection and credit card for cash back rewards. I have absolutely no intention of scamming anyone. PayPal is the intermediary in the situation. Direct wire transfers are the biggest form of online retail fraud on the planet and anyone in their right mind would ONLY use that when closing a business deal, mortgage, or to a trusted friend. You can’t expect buyers to pay with anything other than PayPal.

#15 1 year ago

Distros accept a credit card, bought my NIB Mando that way. My CC Cash back rewards applied. Bought my NIB MMR in 2017 with cash down and teller's check balance I believe, upon request from the (different) Distro and got a discount of $200.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

I’m in the market for a used Rick and Morty. I want to use PayPal for buyer protection and credit card for cash back rewards. I have absolutely no intention of scamming anyone. PayPal is the intermediary in the situation. Direct wire transfers are the biggest form of online retail fraud on the planet and anyone in their right mind would ONLY use that when closing a business deal, mortgage, or to a trusted friend. You can’t expect buyers to pay with anything other than PayPal.

you may find it difficult to find a seller willing to accept that risk on a 10k machine, maybe a dealer will do it.Good luck to you

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

This happened to me as well but was only for $400 and it was for a Nintendo Switch. They even charged me an additional $15 "fee" because the buyer opened a case, so my account was negative $415 after all said and done.

Paypal was calling/emailing me like weekly about paying them "back" for this negative balance and I simply told them I am never paying them the money. I had chat logs and proof that this person intended to purchase the item and accepted the item and they still did not care. I talked to like 3 supervisors and they wouldn't do a damn thing.

After a while the calls stopped and I have nothing on my credit report and this was back in February. If I ever see anything on my credit report I will sure as shit fight it and I will win.

My account is now in a limbo status and I can't log in but if I try to recover password it gives me an error.

Fuck paypal.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

I understand your viewpoint but I'd never sell to you then. I can and absolutely do expect buyers to pay with cash. If I accept Paypal I might as well take personal checks while I'm at it (hell no!)

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

As a business it costs me 3% to accept a credit card, most people don't want to pay that extra. Retail fraud goes both ways & I don't want to lose either. That's why I rely on my feedback here, encourage people to check my references and verify with a Pinside email that I am who I say I am. I've used Escrow.com a couple of times and that seems to be pretty solid, but I feel like I'm still taking a risk sending a machine that someone has to sign off on for me to get my money. Although I believe they are on the hook to pay for return shipping if they do refuse it.

PM sent on R&M, I have a brother in PHX I can send it to for a cash on glass transaction..

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

I expect them to pay with, and only accept, cash. Hasn't failed me in over a decade.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

You can’t expect buyers to pay with anything other than PayPal.

You are mistaken.

I have paid for games by Paypal, I have sent deposits to hold a game by Paypal and paid mostly in cash, I have paid in full in cash. Mostly paid in full in cash.
    I have accepted cash and accepted checks. Mostly sold for cash.
    Depends on who is involved and how well I know them.
    I would not accept full payment through Paypal from someone that I do not know well.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

You can’t expect buyers to pay with anything other than PayPal.

You're serious?
    Sell me your pinball machine, I'll pay you with Paypal. A few months later I'll dispute the charge and you will have learned a lesson!

#23 1 year ago

Pay Pal systemically legitimizes thieving for those who want to steal. Hard to believe they incorporate the practice into their business model. Maybe they see it similar as to how a brick and mortar store account for shrinkage, only paypal isn't on the hook for the losses.

It is a big reason why I refused to buy paypal stock at rock bottom prices.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

You are potentially asking for problems here. There is no reason to ever use Paypal or accept Paypal for anything except postage these days. Paypal policies are BAD BUSINESS. Credit card purchases are great for a buyer. I would never accept a CC transaction for more than $100 using any electronic payment service. I am not a business and do not intend to risk more than $100 for those types of transactions. Sellers actually take on the most risk accepting electronic payments these days. This is because of the huge lengths that a scammer will go to now. It's sad but true.

Likewise, I would never wire money to someone's personal account and would only wire $ to a business account for a home or car purchase. I know others in high end collectible hobbies (https://www.ha.com/) that use these payment types all the time. Well, I don't really care because I am not them and I choose to minimize my risks by sticking with in person cash transactions for high ticket items. Whatever people do or risk is up to them. Just take a look at the KLOV scam thread the next time you see a great deal on a game and want to click that SEND PAYMENT button to a stranger. Is it really worth it?

Also, when sending or receiving a shipped game, (usually depending on it's age and state of repair) there is a chance it will arrive in a different condition than the pictures you were shown. It may not boot, it may have been dropped or smashed. Any and all things can happen and I've seen the threads and pics on Pinside to prove this. If that's for you and you don't mind taking those risks, great, have at it. If you are receiving it from a reputable distro, you will likely be ok. But, I would have a hard time accepting the risk for all of the oops! things that can happen from private party to private party when shipping a game in either direction so, I just choose to not do it. After all, very few people are experts at buying/selling/shipping/communication unless they are a legit business. Sending money to someone who is not an expert at these things will USUALLY go ok BUT when it goes bad it goes REALLY f-in BAD with little recourse.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

If you are using friends and family to avoid fees then there is no protection. Nobody is going to pay hefty fees either. You can try to battle it out but a few simple searches here will show you things don't always work out. And telling people you have no intention of scamming is basically saying you are going to scam.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

Good luck! You are going to need it.

#27 1 year ago

I'm selling a machine this week to a pinsider very far away.
    His only option to pay me is by Bank wire.
    I have a business checking just for these types of transactions. I am also making him pay the $35 fee I might get.
    I've never had an issue with a bank wire in 35 years.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

As a business it costs me 3% to accept a credit card, most people don't want to pay that extra. Retail fraud goes both ways & I don't want to lose either. That's why I rely on my feedback here, encourage people to check my references and verify with a Pinside email that I am who I say I am. I've used Escrow.com a couple of times and that seems to be pretty solid, but I feel like I'm still taking a risk sending a machine that someone has to sign off on for me to get my money. Although I believe they are on the hook to pay for return shipping if they do refuse it.
    PM sent on R&M, I have a brother in PHX I can send it to for a cash on glass transaction..

My friend wanted to buy your Rush LE in person and pay cash, but he was passed over for a tire kicker. Missed opportunity to introduce someone to the pinball addiction.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from SKORR_Arcades:

My friend wanted to buy your Rush LE in person and pay cash, but he was passed over for a tire kicker. Missed opportunity to introduce someone to the pinball addiction.

If the other guy was a tire-kicker, doesn't that mean the machine would still be available? So how did he get "passed over"?

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I have a business checking just for these types of transactions.

Why a separate business checking? I understand separate/different account numbers but what difference does it make if it’s a business account?

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Why a separate business checking? I understand separate/different account numbers but what difference does it make if it’s a business account?

Good question. I have accounts at 3 banks to.
    I have had a wholesale lic, reseller lic bussiness lic for over 30 years. I have a great cpa tax guy and it all works very well.
    To be honest if there is any funny bussiness with any my bussiness stuff the banks treat it much more seriously than your average Joe personal bank accounts. I also just walk up to vault teller/buss teller no lines. All fees with any of my banks are a tax deduction.
    And Yes, I have claimed profits on pinball bussiness for years, and paid taxes. Sometimes throwing the IRS a bone keeps them off your back.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I'm selling a machine this week to a pinsider very far away.
    His only option to pay me is by Bank wire.
    I have a business checking just for these types of transactions. I am also making him pay the $35 fee I might get.
    I've never had an issue with a bank wire in 35 years.

Why would your bank charge you a $35 fee if someone was wiring you money? In my experience, it is always the sender who pays a fee.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Why would your bank charge you a $35 fee if someone was wiring you money? In my experience, it is always the sender who pays a fee.

Very good question. It's international.

#34 1 year ago

Your friend was offering $1,000 less than asking price when I had multiple people who wanted it. I went with the next person who was offering full price who I had dealt with before. Sometimes people miss out on games while trying to get a lower price. I hope he finds something and I did direct him to Pinside to put a want to buy ad out. No hard feelings, I just wasn't going to drop the price $1,000 when I literally had a handful of people who said they wanted it at full asking price.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from BKPitmaster:

You must be new here lol.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Your friend was offering $1,000 less than asking price when I had multiple people who wanted it. I went with the next person who was offering full price who I had dealt with before. Sometimes people miss out on games while trying to get a lower price. I hope he finds something and I did direct him to Pinside to put a want to buy ad out. No hard feelings, I just wasn't going to drop the price $1,000 when I literally had a handful of people who said they wanted it at full asking price.

Sorry, he didn't mention the low-ball offer to me. I told him your price was great and he should buy it. I guess that's what you get for trying to help out friends. I offered to pick it up with him and set it up too.
    Sorry, again.

#37 1 year ago

Sorry, he didn't mention the low-ball offer to me. I told him your price was great and he should buy it. I guess that's what you get for trying to help out friends. I offered to pick it up with him and set it up too.
    Sorry, again.

No problem at all! I understand people trying to negotiate. Sometimes it works and sometimes they miss out.

#38 1 year ago

Many of you have probably read my other post regarding a seller in the Pacific NW in which I wired funds to. Checked out in the community and while I won't get into the minutia in this post, didn't work out in my favor. I've been in the hobby for 20 years and 99.99% of my transactions have been perfect; all it takes is one time getting burned to change your perspective.

Cash on the glass is preferred but should there be a game I really want in the future, I'm hopping on a plane and doing an in-person deal.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/credit-card-via-paypal- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.