(Topic ID: 325538)

Credit card sales with 3%???

By J-drum11

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Any reputable dealers that accept credit card without charging 3% anymore ?
    Anyone? Some don’t want to use a credit card.

#2 1 year ago

Some accept wires, if you're open to that.

Unfortuantely, that 3% is simply the processing fee that the credit card company charges, which then gets passed on to you. Everybody pays it; it's just that most times it's already baked into the price of the items.

#3 1 year ago

It’s time consumers learned that those “free” miles and cash back rewards aren’t free at all.

That’s just a hook to convert more of transactions to cards so processors can siphon off ever larger amounts of the economy.

#4 1 year ago

Not using a reward card for purchases you are going to make anyway and that you pay in full every month is a horrible financial leak.

Obviously the *best* rewards only go to those with exceptional credit but Visa/Mastercard have been charging interchange fees since the beginning of time, why would you not want a portion of that back since you are paying it anyway?

Marriott Bonvoy CC $95 annual fee comes with a free room. Are you really paying an AF if you are getting a $300 hotel room for $0?

**** Reward cards only work for those who PIF monthly - all others should avoid reward cards like the plague and focus on lowest available interest rate.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

It’s time consumers learned that those “free” miles and cash back rewards aren’t free at all.
    That’s just a hook to convert more of transactions to cards so processors can siphon off ever larger amounts of the economy.

If there is a cc fee associated with any purchase I just don’t use cc. It’s as simple as that.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from J-drum11:

I bought a pin from pixels and pinballs earlier this year with a cc. No fee.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

If there is a cc fee associated with any purchase I just don’t use cc. It’s as simple as that.

There is in most everything, you just aren’t told about it. If there is a cash discount by all means I would go that route.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

There is in most everything, you just aren’t told about it. If there is a cash discount by all means I would go that route.

There almost never is a cash discount on anything except
    Rare big purchases, or trade work. If there is one, of course I do that.

#9 1 year ago

Don't know about the the US rules with my business in Canada I could claim some of these charge to business % in my corporate taxes as a cost of doing business. So never passed that portion to customers.
    The average % was 1.8 for visa and Mastercard . AMEX was almost 6% so declined to use them.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Don't know about the the US rules with my business in Canada I could claim some of these charge to business % in my corporate taxes as a cost of doing business. So never passed that portion to customers.
    The average % was 1.8 for visa and Mastercard . AMEX was almost 6% so declined to use them.

Of course the fees are tax deductible for a business

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

There is ALWAYS a CC fee associated with a CC purchase. It’s either built in to the total price or there’s a discount for cash.

If it’s built in to the total price than cash customers are helping to pay for your credit card use.

Businesses pass 100% of all expenses on to customers. Any business that does not do that is rebranded as “closed”

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

I could claim some of these charge to business % in my corporate taxes as a cost of doing business. So never passed that portion to customers

That still results in you eating a net portion of the processing fee (unless your tax rate is 100%!), so you’re being generous to your customers.

As a piano tuner, for 20 years I’ve never accepted credit cards because of processing fees. It’s cash or check payment only with me.

#13 1 year ago

Amazon doesn't charge a 3% fee or for shipping.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zambonilli:

Amazon doesn't charge a 3% fee or for shipping.

Oh yes they do. If you compare prices you'll find Amazon is higher on quite a few items compared to buying directly from a store, like home depot. I just bought a Dewalt flex bit at home depot for $10, exact model on Amazon was $15. Home depot price was everyday, not on sale .

#15 1 year ago

I’d never give up the buyer protection that is provided by Amex on the purchase of a pinball machine.
    There are too many things that can go wrong and then you are at the mercy of Stern or JJP. No thanks.

#16 1 year ago

Fees are always built into the price. Any business that accepts credit cards needs to cover the expense, plain and simple. Debit cards are less of a fee but I doubt there is differentiation from their point of view. When paying cash, ask if there is a cash discount. If there is no discount, pay with the cc and take advantage of your points earned, smart money.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Oh yes they do. If you compare prices you'll find Amazon is higher on quite a few items compared to buying directly from a store, like home depot. I just bought a Dewalt flex bit at home depot for $10, exact model on Amazon was $15. Home depot price was everyday, not on sale .

Of course they build cc fees and shipping into prices. However, for the Stern pinball machines they've sold, they have been at MSRP without cc or shipping fees. In fact, they sold a NOS Star Wars Premium for the old $7.5k price. How many distributors are doing the same? I see a ton of distributors already charging the projected Bond MSRP for all games.

#18 1 year ago

It's amazing how things change. When I took credit cards 15-20 years ago, you couldn't pass on the fees directly to the customer. You could obviously factor them into the overall price, but you couldn't add a line item for CC fees for instance. If you did do things like that and people complained, the credit card processing company could take away your processing ability. Credit card companies and processors want little to no obstacles for consumers to use cards, which is why they don't check ids or even signatures nowadays. The CC companies don't care because they don't lose. Either the customer or the business will lose if there is a dispute and if adding a line item CC fee stops people from using their cards and they know about it, they won't be happy since they don't make money unless people choose to use their cards. Depending on the state, the law can vary greatly on the fees that can and can't be added as well. There are quite a few states where it is down right illegal.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/can-a-business-charge-for-using-credit-card/#surcharge

2 weeks later
    #19 1 year ago

As we enter the holiday rush, we would like to let you know about a special we are running here at KingPin Games. From 12/01/2022 to 12/31/2022 we will be doing a NO CREDIT CARD FEE on the following in-stock units. This applies only to the machines listed below and can not be used on future purchases. Prices do not include shipping or any applicable sales taxes.

Hope you have a safe, fun, and wonderful holiday season!

Stern Pinball

Star Wars Pro $6699
    TMNT Pro $6699
    Led Zeppelin Pro $6699
    Mando Pro $6699
    Rush Pro $6699
    TMNT Premium $8899
    Led Zeppelin Premium $8899
    Mando Premium $8899
    Rush Premium $8899

Jersey Jack Pinball

Toy Story 4 LE $12,000
    Toy Story 4 CE $15,000 (available before the end of the year)

Chicago Gaming

Cactus Canyon Remake Special Edition $7999

American Pinball

Legends of Valhalla Deluxe Limited $8395
    Oktoberfest $7895

Spooky Pinball

Halloween Collector's $8995
    Ultraman Collector's $8995
    Ultraman Standard $6995

Raw Thrills

Big Buck Hunter Reloaded Online Mini $7495

Incredible Technology

Golden Tee 2022 Pedestal $3995
    PGA Tour Standard $5395

Namco

Pac-Man Battle Royal Chompionship Edition $7999

3 weeks later
    #20 1 year ago

Still doing this no CC fee deal? Still got TMNT pro?

Quoted from KingPinGames:

As we enter the holiday rush, we would like to let you know about a special we are running here at KingPin Games. From 12/01/2022 to 12/31/2022 we will be doing a NO CREDIT CARD FEE on the following in-stock units. This applies only to the machines listed below and can not be used on future purchases. Prices do not include shipping or any applicable sales taxes.
    Hope you have a safe, fun, and wonderful holiday season!
    Stern Pinball
    Star Wars Pro $6699
    TMNT Pro $6699
    Led Zeppelin Pro $6699
    Mando Pro $6699
    Rush Pro $6699
    TMNT Premium $8899
    Led Zeppelin Premium $8899
    Mando Premium $8899
    Rush Premium $8899
    Jersey Jack Pinball
    Toy Story 4 LE $12,000
    Toy Story 4 CE $15,000 (available before the end of the year)
    Chicago Gaming
    Cactus Canyon Remake Special Edition $7999
    American Pinball
    Legends of Valhalla Deluxe Limited $8395
    Oktoberfest $7895
    Spooky Pinball
    Halloween Collector's $8995
    Ultraman Collector's $8995
    Ultraman Standard $6995
    Raw Thrills
    Big Buck Hunter Reloaded Online Mini $7495
    Incredible Technology
    Golden Tee 2022 Pedestal $3995
    PGA Tour Standard $5395
    Namco
    Pac-Man Battle Royal Chompionship Edition $7999

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medicpilot:

Still doing this no CC fee deal? Still got TMNT pro?

Yes, and I believe so. I can check Tuesday.

Shoot me an email to remind me.

[email protected]

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from J-drum11:

I bought CCr from Cointaker without CC fees and I believe that’s their policy for all games.

#23 1 year ago

Sent an email. I might be interested in a different one too. I am about 100 miles away

Quoted from KingPinGames:

Yes, and I believe so. I can check Tuesday.
    Shoot me an email to remind me.
    [email protected]

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/credit-card-sales-with-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.