Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jackd104
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I have always bought my Pin's with cash, But these days I rather put it on a card and pay it off over a few months on a nib.

Do all distributors charge credit card fees? Just curious on other's experiences.

#2 1 year ago

Most do 3% (my experience) but you can always call and ask to get it straight from the horse’s mouth.

#4 1 year ago

I bought a NIB 3 weeks ago. The distributor didn’t charge a CC fee but did offer 2% if I paid cash. The price was MSRP by the way. I get 2% cash back on the card so it was a wash for me either way. But I thought it was a cool option.

#5 1 year ago

When I bought JP from Flip N Out there was no fee. Used a card that with perks got me $300 back and 15 months no interest. Put the cash for the pin in an online account and earned another $100 or so during that 15 months and then paid it off at the end.
    I have a GOTG on order with Cointaker. The 1k deposit was a credit card with no fee, no idea on the balance yet. If there is no fee I’ll use another card and buy some high yield I Bonds until I need to it off the card.
    Never use a credit card to buy something you don’t have the cash for, but if you have a good credit score and hunt for deals, most major purchases you can get $200-$500 off with a new card PLUS make interest while you have 0%, then pay it all off without ever having a fee.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

When I bought JP from Flip N Out there was no fee. Used a card that with perks got me $300 back and 15 months no interest. Put the cash for the pin in an online account and earned another $100 or so during that 15 months and then paid it off at the end.
    I have a GOTG on order with Cointaker. The 1k deposit was a credit card with no fee, no idea on the balance yet. If there is no fee I’ll use another card and buy some high yield I Bonds until I need to it off the card.
    Never use a credit card to buy something you don’t have the cash for, but if you have a good credit score and hunt for deals, most major purchases you can get $200-$500 off with a new card PLUS make interest while you have 0%, then pay it all off without ever having a fee.

Yup… very true. Your method is one step above what I’ve done. I keep the cash on the side given I just had a new born addition with my other kids. You never know the random emergency issue that could arise.

Your suggestion for new CC with 0% interest is what I am doing with TNA re-run. I have not purchased from Spooky before, but the initial deposit did not charge a service fee.

Ensure you can manage the purchase/payments and your golden for this method of payment.

#7 1 year ago

they keep raising the bank rates !
    if everyone is buying pins on CC and differing for 15months plus , see another rate hike coming soon !

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Yup… very true. Your method is one step above what I’ve done. I keep the cash on the side given I just had a new born addition with my other kids. You never know the random emergency issue that could arise.
    Your suggestion for new CC with 0% interest is what I am doing with TNA re-run. I have not purchased from Spooky before, but the initial deposit did not charge a service fee.
    Ensure you can manage the purchase/payments and your golden for this method of payment.

I’m always looking to make things more affordable. We go on a fairly large Disney vacation every summer. One way we keep costs down is paying for it by buying Disney gift cards at Kroger when they offer 4x fuel rewards. We pretty much have $1 a gallon off all summer long and it translates to almost 12% savings on the vacation. You can get up to 35 gallons per full up so I fill up the family car and bring gas cans that I then use to keep my work car, lawnmower and boat filled up. Pair that with a credit card that gives an extra 5% on grocery store purchases and you are getting close to 17% off!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I bought a NIB 3 weeks ago. The distributor didn’t charge a CC fee but did offer 2% if I paid cash. The price was MSRP by the way. I get 2% cash back on the card so it was a wash for me either way. But I thought it was a cool option.

Please feel free to share this distributor with us.
    r/
    Mike

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

I’m always looking to make things more affordable. We go on a fairly large Disney vacation every summer. One way we keep costs down is paying for it by buying Disney gift cards at Kroger when they offer 4x fuel rewards. We pretty much have $1 a gallon off all summer long and it translates to almost 12% savings on the vacation. You can get up to 35 gallons per full up so I fill up the family car and bring gas cans that I then use to keep my work car, lawnmower and boat filled up. Pair that with a credit card that gives an extra 5% on grocery store purchases and you are getting close to 17% off!

I do most larger purchases on an American Airlines Visa. The way they run their mileage program now you not only get the free airline miles, but it also goes towards your status. All of my work expenses get allocated this way and I make Executive Platinum every year, which is quite useful since I trace a ton.

#11 1 year ago

My distributor was always fine with my paying by credit card which was great for points. Now they want to add a fee so ive switched to doing bank transfers.

#12 1 year ago

I don't think this is uncommon but it's not ideal. Distributors, restaurants and most anything retail all have to pay merchant fees from the big card companies. My wife takes cards all the time for her business, but she swallows the fees as not all consumers/clients have cash anymore. Hell even our local restaurant charges a card processing fee of 2-3% which I think is crap but such is life nowadays. The consumer takes the hit lately.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Buying from Spooky directly sucks in California because you also have to pay sales tax. The new game is only Spooky direct so I’m afraid you don’t have any other opinions. On regular releases you do.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Buying from Spooky directly sucks in California because you also have to pay sales tax. The new game is only Spooky direct so I’m afraid you don’t have any other opinions. On regular releases you do.

Ugh.. don’t remind me of that. I learned Spooky charges CA taxes while reading the Your In or Out thread. It’s a bummer.

At least I’m not apart of LA county, rather Kern. So that is a little savings.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Spooky charges CA taxes

Businesses do not charge tax. Some states require them to collect the tax the state charges and remit that tax to the state.

#16 1 year ago

It is definitely State dependent. Spooky does not collect tax from WV customers. It is of course our responsibility to remit the sales tax to our State (i see you IRS guy lurking on Pinside). I know a guy who knows a guy in these parts that bought a NIB from Cointaker and also wasn’t charged tax. Also, neither Spooky nor Cointaker charged CC fees as legend has it lol. Other distros would charge CC fees though and they’ll tell you up front if you ask.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepmcs:

Please feel free to share this distributor with us.
    r/
    Mike

Pixels and Pinballs in Acton, MA. Don’t know if that’s his standard practice so your mileage may vary. Tim there was great to work with though. Small distributor who prefers to serve local customers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/credit-card-fee-s-on-pin-purchases and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.