Creature weirdness

By Sea-Monkey

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'm hoping someone with more experience than me can provide some insight into what may be wrong with my CFTBL. It's doing some really weird and random things. For instance:

1. The VUKs are weak, but working; however, after playing a few games, the lower right VUK doesn't have enough strength to put the ball back in play (it tries, but doesn't have enough oomph). If I switch the game off and on, it then (usually) has the strength to pop out the stuck ball on boot up.

2. The loud snap sound (indicating a score was matched for a free game) happens randomly during games (not every game).

3. Sometimes, when switching on the game, the left and right sling shots hold their pushed out position for a 15-20 seconds before relaxing (the loud snap sound usually happens during this time too).

4. The first day things went whacky, I received an error message that Switch F6 -- for the non-existent upper right flipper -- was not working, but that seems to have worked itself out (there are no other error messages at start up).

I've checked all the fuses with my multimeter, and they all seem good. The only work I've done on the machine recently was to change the MikeD hologram mod to be powered off the service receptacle (the mod stopped getting enough power to give the LCD TV a signal, but after this change the game was fine for a week). I'm at a loss for what to check next.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

-Check all the ground screws on the boards and make sure they're tight. I still can't believe how my creech wouldn't boot due to that alone.

#3 9 years ago

Check your voltage test points. It sounds like there may be a component that is on the way out. If you can find a low one, then you know where to start.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Check your voltage test points. It sounds like there may be a component that is on the way out. If you can find a low one, then you know where to start.

Touching the different TPs to C30, here are the readings I get (and what I *think* the manual says they should be -- the type is so small it's hard for me to read):

TP1: 11.4 (12)
TP2: 2.9 (5)
TP3: 9.8 (12)
TP4: 0.2 (?)
TP5: GND
TP6: 81.0 (50)
TP7: 13.5 (20)
TP8: 16.0 (18)

If I'm reading the manual numbers correctly, does this mean I need a new Power Driver board since most are below (a lot or a little) what they should be?

#5 9 years ago

TP2 is the regulated 5 volts DC used by the CPU. I don't see how the system could even boot if you only had 2.9 volts there.

Can you try reseating the ribbon cables, and maybe measuring 5 volts on the power driver board and on the CPU board again?

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Poor_Connections_between_the_Power.2FDriver_board.2C_the_CPU.2C_and_other_PCBs

(I'm not suggesting the above is your problem, that's just where it describes how to measure 5 V on the CPU board.)

#6 9 years ago

If you have the skills repair it, or send it out to be repaired.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

TP2 is the regulated 5 volts DC used by the CPU. I don't see how the system could even boot if you only had 2.9 volts there.

Can you try reseating the ribbon cables, and maybe measuring 5 volts on the power driver board and on the CPU board again?

Thanks for the insight on testing the TPs! Here are my new readings (and what I think the manual says they should be):

TP1: 13.3 (12)
TP2: 4.9 (5)
TP3: 11.96 (12)
TP4: 0.4 (?)
TP5: GND
TP6: 84.0 (50)
TP7: 15.5 (20)
TP8: 18.6 (18)

TP7 started at 15.5, but immediately and continually decreased. Is that normal? And it's the most off from what it should be.

Still get random weird stuff. Lower & Upper right VUK work (lethargically) for a number of games, and then lower right doesn't have the power to push the ball into play. Knocker sounds at odd times. 2nd ball occasionally gets pushed into the shoot when not yet in multi-ball mode.

Thanks for any insights.

#8 9 years ago

this could very irrelevant but when I first got my creature it was doing random weird things and by chance after some hours looking I found that the wire on the vuk soleniod must of got caught on the plunger rod and exposed a wire and cracked the solenoid plastic base. It was quite obvious when you see it but worth a check.

This vuk soleniod wire catches easily when lifting the playfield forward if you are not aware.

#9 9 years ago

You might want to consider replacing the ribbon cable to the MPU board

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

the wire on the vuk soleniod must of got caught on the plunger rod and exposed a wire and cracked the solenoid plastic base.

Quoted from swedishc:

You might want to consider replacing the ribbon cable to the MPU board

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the VUK wire and ribbon cable, and both looked fine. However, this inspired me to push down on every connector I could find. I don't know exactly what I did, but it seemed to work because the game is back to normal. Can I get an "Amen!".

Thanks again to everyone for their insights and suggestions. Each one gives me a little better understanding of how the game works, and helps me troubleshoot the next time around. Pinsiders are the BEST!

#11 9 years ago

Nice. Now go rescue the girl!

#12 9 years ago

While you are working on it. Get yourself some Caig Labs DeOxit and ProGold and treat all the pins and cable connections with it.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from KeithinMI:

While you are working on it. Get yourself some Caig Labs DeOxit and ProGold and treat all the pins and cable connections with it.

Eh... I'm a bit weary about that recommendation.

From Tim Arnold's "THINGS 'NOT TO DO' TO A PINBALL MACHINE":

3 - SPRAY CONTACT CLEANER IS EVIL!

I don't care what your uncle told you! I don't care that the label says "Safe - Leaves No Residue"! They are false! This is a lazy fools fix! It's a chemical solution to a mechanical problem! 95% of the dirt can be removed by wiping with a soft cloth! This is all you should do to a digital game's gold plated heads! ...

Yes, he is largely talking about EM games and mechanical switches as opposed to connector pins, but I do not agree with your recommendation.

#14 9 years ago

TP 2 went from 2.9 to 4.9 volts. Thats why it was acting up. Which ever connector you reseated that fix it needs to be replaced. It's just a matter of time.

#15 9 years ago

Uh-oh! After several days of two days of normal game play, my Creature is acting strangely (sometimes) again. As some of you have suggested, I've ordered a set of ribbon cables from GPE. We'll see if that fixes it "once and for all".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 24.00
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-weirdness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.