(Topic ID: 201807)

Creature Left Flipper Sticks Up****Now Won't Hold

By ercvacation

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171103_193122 (resized).jpg
    20171103_150620 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I have an issue that I haven't been able to verify, but my wife has had it come up twice. She told me that she played a game and the left flipper stuck up and wouldn't go down. I came down to check and everything worked perfect for me. Flipper strength was perfect, just like the other side. I checked the flipper mech and the plunger goes through the sleeve/coil like butter. No restriction at all. I told her to play a game this morning and low and behold, the flipper stuck up again. She says it was when she hit the flipper button, not when the game was turned on or the start button was hit. I'll be looking when I get home from work. I'd guess a stuck end of stroke switch? If it was electrical, I'd guess that it would stick up as soon as turned on and I wouldn't have had been able to play all those games without issue. Any input is appreciated. I'll be home around 1 today.

#2 6 years ago

Its more than likely binding somewhere.... just rebuild it. Also make sure the flipper button isnt sticking and or the flipper opto board actuator isnt sticking.

#3 6 years ago

I'll have a better idea once I get home. The mech, when tested by hand, was smooth as silk. No binding there. I'll check the flipper button and surrounding area,including opto, when I get home. Hopefully an easy fix.

#4 6 years ago

If it was electrical, the flipper would stay up all the time, as you said. the opto might be a little dirty, that is worth checking.

#5 6 years ago

The coil is getting very hot. When I got home the flipper quit holding at all. It would flip and release.

#6 6 years ago

Changed the coil cause the sleeve was stuck inside. Resoldered everything. Still no hold power. Feels like it hits twice and then drops. Any ideas?

#7 6 years ago

Flipper opto boards ruled out. Switched boards and the right flipper continued to work with the board from the left. Left continued to stutter twice and not have any hold power.

#8 6 years ago

I have had the plastic parts that interrupt the flipper opto stretch out and not close completely. This causes the flipper to get stuck in the up position. Perhaps after the machine gets warm, they are not completely returning to the closed position.

#9 6 years ago

Now it's not stuck up. It won't hold at all.

#10 6 years ago

Q9 is toast. Per the manual, this is holding transistor for RIGHT flipper. Q7 is for left. What would cause this? Should I replace other components like the diode for this transistor?

20171103_150620 (resized).jpg20171103_150620 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Changing the TIP102 fixed the problem but I'm still concerned as to why this happened. Must have got real hot cause it burned the board. See pic attached. Pic is with new transistor installed. I did not change the resistor cause I don't think I have a suitable replacement. The R17 resistor is 56 ohm 1/4 watt, 5%. Looks like the only resistors I have are 39k 2 watt and 39,000 1 watt.

My big questions are what caused this? Will it happen again if nothing else is changed? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I won't play until I get more definitive answers as I'm not qualified in this subject.

One thing to note, the coil was really hot when I pulled it. The solder on the lugs wasn't great. Once I changed the coil, the new one didn't heat up.

Any suggestions or comments?

20171103_193122 (resized).jpg20171103_193122 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

Anybody have any input for me?

#13 6 years ago

Parts don’t last forever. And flipper transistors get used a lot. Replace it and play the game. If it goes again quickly, we can debug. You should enjoy the game.

#14 6 years ago

I played a few games and monitored for heat from the coil and the transistor. Flippers worked perfectly. No heat at all from transistor or coil. I'll keep my eye on this but hopefully I'm good to go.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

Anybody have any input for me?

Yes talk to a board repair expert . I use Clive he will answer your questions and make you feel at ease . Good for you on the board work . I'm terrible . http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/brepairs.html

#16 6 years ago

I am not a pro on this. but if you had a bad diode or windings otherwise shorted I imagine that could destroy your coil and burn the transistor too.

Quoted from pintechev:

Parts don’t last forever. And flipper transistors get used a lot. Replace it and play the game. If it goes again quickly, we can debug. You should enjoy the game.

Great advice

I am having a holding issue on myWPC95 flippers occasionally. I am just finishing rebuilding them and will fire them up tomorrow. I suspect it will play better until something else goes wrong.

#17 6 years ago

I had a very similar experience with my DW pin but it was the upper left flipper and I also got burning on the Q 9 transistor.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-third-flipper-on-bally-doctor-who

#18 6 years ago

the bad coil cooked the board transistor. if you ever notice coil issues, figure it out as soon as possible or transistors will get toasted.

#19 6 years ago

My advice...

The resistors are fine, but you DEFINITELY should replace the stressed predriver transistor, Q17 or which ever one is right below it. Should be a 2N4401. Let me know if you need any.

#20 6 years ago

Thanks Evan. I'll see if I have those in my stash. You heading to kickback tomorrow? Movie night at home, which means I'll be looking into this at some point lol.

#21 6 years ago

Manual says 2n4403 pnp. I don't have any of these. Only transistors I have are 2n4401 npn, 36c,102,and 42. I don't think any are compatible. I'll have to place an order it looks like.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-left-flipper-sticks-up?hl=ercvacation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.